PDA

View Full Version : Need help building a Viletooth Lizardfolk Totemist

The Ogre
2012-02-11, 01:00 PM
Hello fellow playgrounders. I'm in need of your assistance once again.

I recently bought Magic of Incarnum and wanted to make a totemist. Seeing as how the totemist is primarily about natural attacks, I decided on a Viletooth Lizardfolk for the natural weapons and dragonblood subtype to qualify for Dragon Tail. Plus, the acid damage from the bite attack is pretty sweet as well. The DM was generous enough to abolish racial hit dice but said that I would have to keep the level adjustment. With that little tidbit out of the way, I would like some critique/suggestions for my build so far.

Viletooth Lizardfolk(+1LA) Totemist-19
Lv1: Dragon Tail
Lv3: Multiattack
Lv6: Power Attack
Lv9: Double Chakra
Lv12: Improved Bull Rush
Lv15: Shock Trooper

The DM has banned access to the Eberron, Ghostwalk, and Forgotten Realms campaign books and other related splatbooks.

I only have access to the following books. So please keep your recommendations set to just these books.
Complete Adventurer
Complate Arcane
Complete Divine
Complete Warrior
Draconomicon
Dragon Magic
Dungeon Master's Guide
Expanded Psionics Handbook
Fiend Folio
Fiendish Codex 1
Heroes of Horror
Libris Mortis
Magic of Incarnum
Monster Manual
Planar Handbook
Player's Handbook 1+2
Races of Destiny
Races of the Dragon
Races of the Wild
Savage Species
Tome of Battle
Tome of Magic
Unearthed Arcana

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.

Greenish
2012-02-11, 01:12 PM
Looks solid to me. I'm not sure you'll need Shock Trooperin' shenanigans, but then, you know the power level of your campaign better than I do.

Also, no RHD viletooth lizardfolk is a pretty good deal, even if there's no LA buyout.

mawexzon
2012-02-11, 04:10 PM
The online kobold variant (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) has natural attacks, being a kobold is dragonblood and has others goodies, no LA, no Racial HD

Demon of Death
2012-02-11, 08:37 PM
I recently bought Magic of Incarnum and wanted to make a totemist. Seeing as how the totemist is primarily about natural attacks, I decided on a Viletooth Lizardfolk for the natural weapons and dragonblood subtype to qualify for Dragon Tail. Plus, the acid damage from the bite attack is pretty sweet as well. The DM was generous enough to abolish racial hit dice but said that I would have to keep the level adjustment. With that little tidbit out of the way, I would like some critique/suggestions for my build so far.

Note that Dragon Tail normally takes a standard action to use for its one attack, now, with a DM houserule, that doesn't matter, but I would use a different soulmeld.

As you didn't specify, is Dragon Magazine allowed? If so, Issue 350 has soulmelds in the last few pages for Totemist, and if you can use them, get the Chaos Roc on for 2 Wing Buffet attacks.

Greenish
2012-02-11, 08:53 PM
Note that Dragon Tail normally takes a standard action to use for its one attackDragon Tail the feat (RotD), not the soul meld. Gets you a normal tail slap attack.

Demon of Death
2012-02-11, 09:37 PM
Dragon Tail the feat (RotD), not the soul meld. Gets you a normal tail slap attack.

I'm just going to quietly skulk in a corner of this forum and not put forth my incorrect 2cp from now on, I think.

The Ogre
2012-02-13, 04:54 PM
Looks solid to me. I'm not sure you'll need Shock Trooperin' shenanigans, but then, you know the power level of your campaign better than I do.
I wanted to cover the charger role since no one else in my party isn't. If you have a better plan, I'm open to suggestions.

The online kobold variant (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) has natural attacks, being a kobold is dragonblood and has others goodies, no LA, no Racial HD
As previously mentioned, my DM has allowed me to play a viletooth lizardfolk with the racial hit dice.

In terms of flavor, a kobold totemist just doesn't resonate with me.

As you didn't specify, is Dragon Magazine allowed? If so, Issue 350 has soulmelds in the last few pages for Totemist, and if you can use them, get the Chaos Roc on for 2 Wing Buffet attacks.
It depends on the Dragon Magazine in question. The DM might allow if it isn't absurdly broken.

Piggy Knowles
2012-02-13, 05:16 PM
A one level dip into Scaled Horror (from Savage Species) wouldn't go amiss - you pretty much automatically qualify, and would trade a level of BAB and two points of essentia for Improved Grab, which is honestly a pretty good trade, if you ask me.

Chronos
2012-02-13, 06:51 PM
A bit of Kensai wouldn't go amiss, either. Pick "claw" for your favored weapon, and you'll get 4 or 6 magic weapons for only a little more than the price of 1.