PDA

View Full Version : PF Undead Horde

NinjaStylerobot
2012-02-11, 01:56 PM
I made a spell

Its a Level 9 spell which functions like animate undead except it creates 50 HD worth of undead per CL but it has a max cap of 6 HD.

I thought "Why not?"

It allows you to create your dream army, yet has no effect on high level encounters.

SilverLeaf167
2012-02-11, 02:04 PM
And what was the point of this thread?
Are you asking for advice, comments, questions, compliments or insults?

NinjaStylerobot
2012-02-11, 02:09 PM
Its a balance question. Also to spread the idea around.

Calanon
2012-02-11, 02:14 PM
I prefer plague of Undead over this spell :smallconfused:

NinjaStylerobot
2012-02-11, 02:17 PM
Doesn't that still abide by the standard 4 hit dice per level rule?

Calanon
2012-02-11, 02:23 PM
Doesn't that still abide by the standard 4 hit dice per level rule?

It does indeed still abide by those very rules. but Plague of Undead allows me to have up to 80HD worth of Zombies and Skeletons and I can just as easily do this to a Great Wyrm Dragon (or 2 if they have exactly 40HD like a Silver Dragon) while with your spell, sure i can do the same thing but i can't manipulate as many undead as I'd like. If you made the spell anime all the corpses or skeletons as Wights or Mogrhs or Vampire spawns or just say that it can apply an undead Template below +4 LA (Excluding Lich) to any corpse or something like that, then yeah a Necromancer BBEG will use your spell before he does PoU.

NinjaStylerobot
2012-02-11, 02:33 PM
But thats the POINT! Its not for creating Zombie Dragons! Its for creating an army of low level undeads!

Calanon
2012-02-11, 02:36 PM
But thats the POINT! Its not for creating Zombie Dragons! Its for creating an army of low level undeads!

Well if thats your purpose then I'd still go with Plague of Undead :smallbiggrin: I can get 80 (1HD each) Zombies/Skeletons and control all of them.

And besides Quality always beats Quantity, I'd prefer 2 Zombie Skeleton Dragons over 80 Zombie/Skeletons

EDIT: btw i prefer using Zombie Shadow Dragons... personally of course :smalltongue:

NinjaStylerobot
2012-02-11, 02:40 PM
But thats not an army. Thats just 80 undeads.

Did you see that strip with Xykon Flying overhead his gigantic pimpin army?

Well imagine those all as undeads!

Though I would need to change it to 200 HD Since standard zombies have 2 HD (In PF)

Calanon
2012-02-11, 02:45 PM
But thats not an army. Thats just 80 undeads.

Did you see that strip with Xykon Flying overhead his gigantic pimpin army?

Well imagine those all as undeads!

Though I would need to change it to 200 HD Since standard zombies have 2 HD (In PF)

If your gonna want to make a TRUE Army of Undeath then go for a buff like General of Undeath and then cast Plague of Undead and BAM! you can control 100 HD worth of undead. If you make your Spell allow you to control 10 times the base you can control then at lvl 20 you can control about 800HD worth of undead which can... oh god...

NinjaStylerobot
2012-02-11, 02:55 PM
Exactly (Though I won't allow your spell). Its great for BBEG stuff or for evil artifacts (A scroll containing this spell).

Its a spell that allows me to make a LV 24 Tar-Baphon.

Its also useful for PCs in Kingmaker or such.

Calanon
2012-02-11, 03:14 PM
Exactly (Though I won't allow your spell). Its great for BBEG stuff or for evil artifacts (A scroll containing this spell).

Its a spell that allows me to make a LV 24 Tar-Baphon.

Its also useful for PCs in Kingmaker or such.

Well i wouldn't expect anyone to use the spell that i just gave :smalltongue: that was just an example.

NinjaStylerobot
2012-02-11, 03:29 PM
So im combination of Animate dead/ Plauge of Undead with Undead Hoarde you can have your own nice army. Shocktroopers, some larger ogres and a few mega monsters like Krakens.

Calanon
2012-02-11, 03:36 PM
So im combination of Animate dead/ Plauge of Undead with Undead Hoarde you can have your own nice army. Shocktroopers, some larger ogres and a few mega monsters like Krakens.

For Shock Troopers use Wights, For Megas your probably gonna want a 12 headed Zombie Hydra or something like that.

NinjaStylerobot
2012-02-11, 03:52 PM
Nah. With my way of Running colossal undead (I make a clay figurine and spitball the rules on the fly) a giant Skelletal Kraken is MUCH more awesome.

Also with the Leadership feat get a bunch of other goons with animate/ control undead and bone beads and that thing that controls 8HD of undead for wraiths and shadows (That make their own undeads)

Pretty terrifying army.

Coidzor
2012-02-11, 04:37 PM
That's not an undead hoarde. The only way I know of to get an undead hoarde you need to take a bunch of undead, and haunt shift them into a whole bunch of treasure. But that kinda thing isn't available in PF.

You've just got a horde there.

NinjaStylerobot
2012-02-11, 04:39 PM
NOOOOO! My crapy speing doms me!

Roxxy
2012-02-11, 06:27 PM
The best way to create an army of undead is to create far more zombies than you can control, then use bait to goad the horde into going where you want it to go. By RAW, zombies attempt to feed on prey if they are not controlled. This being the case, you could logically summon some animals or dominate some people or whatever, and have them serve as bait to galvanize a horde in a direction. Once there, they will attack anything alive.

NinjaStylerobot
2012-02-11, 06:28 PM
Possible, but Uneficient. Especialy if you have living others in there also.

Roxxy
2012-02-11, 06:31 PM
Possible, but Uneficient. Especialy if you have living others in there also.Yea, if you have living soldiers as well it's not a good tactic. I was looking at it from the point of wanting an army of zombies to slaughter all living.

Calanon
2012-02-11, 06:40 PM
The best way to create an army of undead is to create far more zombies than you can control, then use bait to goad the horde into going where you want it to go. By RAW, zombies attempt to feed on prey if they are not controlled. This being the case, you could logically summon some animals or dominate some people or whatever, and have them serve as bait to galvanize a horde in a direction. Once there, they will attack anything alive.

>Summon Undead V
>Summon a Wight
>???
>PROFIT!

NinjaStylerobot
2012-02-11, 06:41 PM
Thing is Im talking about other Clerics or Wizards for support.

Coidzor
2012-02-11, 07:35 PM
nah, what you want instead is a spell that lets you make wights and have them treated as your spawn so that they're loyal to you and under your command.

They're weak enough that it's irrelevant in high level play except for fluff, really, but the sky's the limit as far as how big the horde can get, and you've got a good ability to create a strict hierarchical structure.

NinjaStylerobot
2012-02-11, 07:51 PM
Thats the point. Its for cool fluff.

Coidzor
2012-02-11, 08:10 PM
Thats the point. Its for cool fluff.

Well, then, if you're going to homebrew, just do something along the lines of what I suggested. :smallwink:

As a spell of level 8 or 9, it should easily be past the point where it'll negatively impact game balance.