PDA

View Full Version : Would you think this is cheesy?

SubtypeDumb
2012-02-11, 04:21 PM
Using Anti-Magic Field with Selective Spell(Shining South, allows you to choose one creature in the area to be immune to the spell's effects, aka myself) so you can run around casting and still be immune to 99% of the spells?

SubtypeDumb
2012-02-11, 05:23 PM
Edited the thread subject, so I'm bumping :smalltongue:

Hiro Protagonest
2012-02-11, 05:31 PM
No, not really. Especially since practically all conjurations other than Summon Monster/Nature's Ally still work if cast outside the range. Dunno if Planar Binding/Allly still works, Gate probably does. And I'm not sure if the summons are blinked back home, or truly die if killed within an anti-magic field.

SubtypeDumb
2012-02-11, 05:41 PM
No, not really. Especially since practically all conjurations other than Summon Monster/Nature's Ally still work if cast outside the range. Dunno if Planar Binding/Allly still works, Gate probably does. And I'm not sure if the summons are blinked back home, or truly die if killed within an anti-magic field.

That is true, but the AMF would most likely make you many times stronger than what you would be without it. Any kind of melee (except maybe for really large characters, but then again, Widen Spell is there) won't be able to come close to you without being extremely nerfed. A Wizard will be highly limited, and if you put together immunities to the very few tricks he can use on you, you're basically owning him.

And of course, you could disjunction without fear of rebuttal.

I actually think it is very, very cheesy, I just want someone to convince me it's not. haha :smallbiggrin:

Hiro Protagonest
2012-02-11, 05:58 PM
That is true, but the AMF would most likely make you many times stronger than what you would be without it. Any kind of melee (except maybe for really large characters, but then again, Widen Spell is there) won't be able to come close to you without being extremely nerfed. A Wizard will be highly limited, and if you put together immunities to the very few tricks he can use on you, you're basically owning him.

And of course, you could disjunction without fear of rebuttal.

I actually think it is very, very cheesy, I just want someone to convince me it's not. haha :smallbiggrin:

I'm not sure if the Disjunction thing works, since it's still your spell. Plus, Disjunction is broken anyway.

You have a good point on the melee thing, no Belt of Giant Strength, Magic Weapon, or Haste. However, your AC is still low enough that if they manage to get within that range, they're good. Displacement is only 50% no matter how much they Power Attack for, although it's still a great defense.

Aneurin
2012-02-11, 06:01 PM
Um... I'd have thought it wouldn't really do much. You can buff yourself (so useful?), and cast spells with a target somewhere outside of the AMF, but...

I've not read Selective Spell, so I could be wrong, but it won't affect your magic. Just you. So you can retain your buffs. You may not even be able to cast them.

From the SRD:

An antimagic field suppresses any spell or magical effect used within, brought into, or cast into the area, but does not dispel it. Time spent within an antimagic field counts against the suppressed spell’s duration.

Doesn't say a thing about the the caster, just the spell itself.

Would require DM ruling to have it exempt anything cast by the Selective Spell's target, I think.

Zaq
2012-02-11, 06:03 PM
Pretty sure this falls under the same ruling as using Mastery of Shaping to make a donut hole in your AMF . . . you can still be targeted by enemy spells. AMFs don't block line of effect, so if you're not affected by it, you're not affected by it, regardless of whether your square is. Enemy casters can zap you all they like.

Now sure, it'll put a damper on any uppity beatsticks who think they can threaten your exalted person with their magical trinkets, but that's about all it'll do. (I'm not going to assume that you're going to be close enough to other casters for them to be affected by the field. This is the case for a number of reasons.)

SubtypeDumb
2012-02-11, 06:10 PM
I'm not sure if the Disjunction thing works, since it's still your spell. Plus, Disjunction is broken anyway.

You have a good point on the melee thing, no Belt of Giant Strength, Magic Weapon, or Haste. However, your AC is still low enough that if they manage to get within that range, they're good. Displacement is only 50% no matter how much they Power Attack for, although it's still a great defense.

Oh, that's not what I meant by no fear of rebuttal, indeed my spell would work, on me and everything. The thing is, I can cast it on the other caster, but he can't do it on me.

On the AC part, I really doubt it. The Wizard will get the Selective AMF by level 13(it's a 7th level spell), which means he has access to polymorph, Improved Mage Armor, Shield and Spiderskin; all of those put together with Dex would mean a really high AC. Let's just say he comes with the Imp. Mage Armor and Spiderskin, both extended; then he polymorphs into an Erinyes and casts a quickened Shield. That will net him a 38 AC in a single round with very simple spells, I don't believe a fighter can reach that without magic.

And that's just 13th level, in higher levels, when magic becomes even more important, the AMF gets exponentially more powerful.

SubtypeDumb
2012-02-11, 06:12 PM
Pretty sure this falls under the same ruling as using Mastery of Shaping to make a donut hole in your AMF . . . you can still be targeted by enemy spells. AMFs don't block line of effect, so if you're not affected by it, you're not affected by it, regardless of whether your square is. Enemy casters can zap you all they like.

Now sure, it'll put a damper on any uppity beatsticks who think they can threaten your exalted person with their magical trinkets, but that's about all it'll do. (I'm not going to assume that you're going to be close enough to other casters for them to be affected by the field. This is the case for a number of reasons.)

That... makes sense.