PDA

View Full Version : How often do you go to RPG conventions?

Totally Guy
2012-02-11, 04:27 PM
Not including GitP meetups I'd not been to an RPG convention until a couple of years ago. Since then I've attended 2 both years.

I'd really like to go to a big American con some day. I'm not sure which british cons hit triple digits.

Aidan305
2012-02-11, 04:55 PM
Generally between 3-5 a year. There's a lot of small Cons that happen in Ireland, generally run by the universities. It's always enjoyable to go to them and chat with the people you don't see very often.

Eldan
2012-02-11, 05:37 PM
Let me say it like this: I'd go if there were any. I've never found any in this country, and those in Germany I know off are half a day or more away.

Pink
2012-02-11, 07:10 PM
Currently I only attend one a year, but I attend THE Con. Gen Con. I figure if I can only go to one, it'd better be the best.

valadil
2012-02-11, 09:06 PM
I used to go to LARP conventions but found them overwhelming. Lately I've done Arisia once a year, which is a sci-fi con that has expanded into all of geekdom. Also went to PAX East twice, but don't plan on going back. I'm not a rabid enough gamer for PAX to work for me. Mostly what I like about cons is having 3/4 of my friends in the same hotel at the same time.

GoatToucher
2012-02-11, 09:59 PM
None, ever. I never saw the appeal.

Urpriest
2012-02-11, 10:41 PM
Let me say it like this: I'd go if there were any. I've never found any in this country, and those in Germany I know off are half a day or more away.

Isn't there a Con every year around Lake Geneva? :smalltongue:

I generally just go to the single con every year that's closest, which given that I'm destined to be at one university or another the majority of my life has generally been that university's Con or that of a nearby one.

DigoDragon
2012-02-13, 08:33 AM
I've been to... one I think? It was about 5 years ago, a small local Sci-Fi RPG convention. I didn't do any gaming, but I did network and made a few contacts for selling artwork. :smallbiggrin:

dsmiles
2012-02-13, 08:42 AM
Unfortunately, never. But I'm going to try to get to DC Gameday this year. Mostly to play Malifaux, though.

CondorDM
2012-02-15, 02:58 PM
I have gone to some, we have big meet ups in the gaming community here but that is every weekend. DMing in person is my bread an butter, should start up a listing thread, people could post whats local to them, readers from the same areas can see the post an check out the convention.

Tyndmyr
2012-02-15, 03:25 PM
Unfortunately, never. But I'm going to try to get to DC Gameday this year. Mostly to play Malifaux, though.

I mistook this briefly for the Games Workshop Games Day(held in baltimore). Used to go to that yearly, but frankly, it's been sliding downhill for a while now. Last time I went, a coupla years ago, some of the areas were out of materials by 9 or so. Sure, there's the tables for open play, and the shopping area...but that really isn't any different from any GW stores. The events were the reason to go to those, and events running out of stuff almost immediately means the few remaining events open are vastly overcrowded and have ridiculous lines.

Kind of sad, really.

One Tin Soldier
2012-02-15, 04:11 PM
If I knew of any around Pennsylvania, I totally would.

Weimann
2012-02-15, 04:23 PM
If there are any in my part of Sweden, I don't know about them, and even if there were, I'm not sure I'd be all that interested.

I could imagine going to Gen Con or similar ones, but that's on other continents.

dsmiles
2012-02-16, 03:13 AM
Kind of sad, really.Yep. That's pretty much the direction GW's been headed lately.
Like I said, I'm trying to go and play some Malifaux with some DCers (DCites? Washingtonians?) and hopefully sign up for a DnD event or two, if it doesn't interfere with Malifaux.