PDA

View Full Version : Are "V's Gender" threads still allowed in the OOTS forums?

ti'esar
2012-02-12, 12:36 AM
Firstly, if this is the wrong place to ask, I apologize, but the "FAQ threads" post is badly out of date and I can't find anywhere else to ask.

Anyway, I see to recall hearing at one point that, like "morally-justified" threads, threads debating and/or discussing the gender of Vaarsuvius were now prohibited. Is this true, or are they still allowed?

I'm not interested in starting another one, but I'm curious as to whether they all disappeared because they were against the rules or people simply wearied of beating a dead horse.

Roland St. Jude
2012-02-12, 07:33 AM
I believe, though I don't have time to give an official answer, that there is a single such thread and all new ones get locked or merged under the "one thread per topic" rule.

Surfing HalfOrc
2012-02-12, 08:08 AM
I did a little looking, and the most recent thread I found was last posted in on 31 Oct 2011. It sort of died out after 28 pages...

But is WAS the "Official" V's Gender Debate thread, and I didn't see anything from the mods that looked like a shutdown was impending.

I'm neutral on the whole V's gender thing. Somedays he's a female; others she's clearly a guy. :smallwink:

ThePhantasm
2012-02-12, 10:50 AM
It sort of died out because eventually there is nothing to discuss. V is intended to remain ambiguously gendered for the entirety of the OOTS story, and unlike the case with MitD's identity, there are no straightforward clues as to V's gender in the comic. As such, the discussion is somewhat limited to opinions and perceptions, and while the discussion can be fun for awhile, people eventually lose interest.

Zeta Kai
2012-02-12, 06:32 PM
Tolerated? Yes. I suppose.

Appreciated? No. Not at all.

NerfTW
2012-02-12, 07:26 PM
Indeed. Every bit of "proof" that is ever brought up gets instantly refuted. It's intended to remain ambiguous and probably will never be revealed, as there's no point to it now. It hasn't even been brought up in hundreds of strips. (V's mate being similarly ambiguous and having adopted children really doesn't count)

Not to mention that once the pronoun issue is off the table, they usually devolve into either pointless nitpicking over pixels or flagrant sexist preconceptions about how a gender should act.

ti'esar
2012-02-12, 08:12 PM
All right, thanks for that. I have no intentions of starting one, but I was curious why they all went away. I guess even the denizens of this forum can get tired of totally baseless speculation eventually...