PDA

View Full Version : Disguises in 4E

Giggling Ghast
2012-02-12, 04:46 AM
I might soon be running an adventure with my 4E group where they will be infiltrating a hostile settlement where their faces would be fairly well-known. Aside from sneaking in there at night, they might come up with the idea of disguising themselves. I haven't found anything in the rulebooks pertaining to disguises, though I imagine it will involve Bluff checks. Are there any supplementary rules for Disguises, or perhaps an appearance-altering ritual they could obtain through shady means?

Incidentally, they're an eladrin, a half-elf, a halfling and a human. I'm not talking about putting fake mustaches on a four-man band of minotaurs and passing them off as people, amusing though that may be.

WitchSlayer
2012-02-12, 08:34 AM
Thievery would also work for making disguises I think. Bluff is the specific example I believe, however.

Ashdate
2012-02-12, 10:02 AM
I would be tempted to run this like a skill challenge. Don't tell them as such, but script a few scenarios (the players run into a guard, an old acquaintance recognizes them, a random event suddenly makes them the centre of attention etc.) and have them play out with requisite checks. Don't make the first failure a reason to set off alarms everywhere (unless the PCs ask to do something very very unwise). Better yet, let them decide how exactly they'll "traverse" through the city.

The "Moving through Suderham" skill challenge in the DMG2 is a good place for reference if you want a potential example. But in short, think of it this way: if their goal is to get through the city without drawing attention, then they could conceivably use more than disguise. Athletics might allow them to dash on top of buildings, history might point out where underground sewers lead, etc. It may even be fun to have the party split up, and have them reach their destination via each character's strengths.

If you're looking for something disguise specific, then there is the ritual "Chameleon's Cloak" (lvl 10 ritual) from Dragon Magazine 366. As another alternative, explore letting the characters use a specific skill they have trained to help "complete" a disguise. Perhaps an Athletics check will let them fake being a gladiator, or a Nature check can help a Barbarian pass herself off as a Druid.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-02-12, 11:34 AM
I would be tempted to run this like a skill challenge. Don't tell them as such, but script a few scenarios (the players run into a guard, an old acquaintance recognizes them, a random event suddenly makes them the centre of attention etc.) and have them play out with requisite checks. Don't make the first failure a reason to set off alarms everywhere (unless the PCs ask to do something very very unwise). Better yet, let them decide how exactly they'll "traverse" through the city.

The "Moving through Suderham" skill challenge in the DMG2 is a good place for reference if you want a potential example. But in short, think of it this way: if their goal is to get through the city without drawing attention, then they could conceivably use more than disguise. Athletics might allow them to dash on top of buildings, history might point out where underground sewers lead, etc. It may even be fun to have the party split up, and have them reach their destination via each character's strengths.

If you're looking for something disguise specific, then there is the ritual "Chameleon's Cloak" (lvl 10 ritual) from Dragon Magazine 366. As another alternative, explore letting the characters use a specific skill they have trained to help "complete" a disguise. Perhaps an Athletics check will let them fake being a gladiator, or a Nature check can help a Barbarian pass herself off as a Druid.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. Since its unlikely that everyone in your party has bluff skill, forcing them to rely on it individually is not going to go over well. But in a skill challenge, the guy with bluff can be the one to disguise them, while the strong guy uses intimidate to keep doubters at bay, the diplomatic one is in charge of making "friends" with a few well-placed words and a bribe or two, the scout keeps an eye out to not run into anyone that knows them, etc. It's a prime moment for RP with rolls. The characters should be the ones that decide how best to use their abilities.

However, to answer your original question, Dark Sun has a Disguise object, and my level 6 armour of choice, Imposter's armour, give bonuses to disguise rolls, if you want to use them as reference.

Yours,

Grey Wolf

Giggling Ghast
2012-02-12, 04:04 PM
Yeah, I was likely going to run it as a skill challenge, but I wanted to see if there was any other input you guys had.

I know the one guy will be eager to use Bluff rolls, as he tries to use Bluff for everything. (Even bartering with merchants.)

Leolo
2012-02-12, 06:10 PM
There are powers for this like disguise self (wizard) or veil (bard)

Veil might be exactly what you are searching for, because it affects the whole group. But you'd need a lvl 10 bard for it.

There are also mundane items (disguise kit) and magical items (potion of mimicry, hat of disguise) and rituals (change self, seeming)

So you have enough options.

INDYSTAR188
2012-02-12, 07:26 PM
Yeah, I was likely going to run it as a skill challenge, but I wanted to see if there was any other input you guys had.

I know the one guy will be eager to use Bluff rolls, as he tries to use Bluff for everything. (Even bartering with merchants.)

Fun fact: I read that you can use a bluff in combat to gain Combat Advantage 1/encounter. Who knew?

I agree with the skill challenge and I also think that thievery, intimidate, and bluff are pretty awesome skills for this. If you have a Bard in the group, here's a good chance for him to shine.