PDA

View Full Version : Summon Distraction (3.5)

Eurus
2012-02-12, 05:28 AM
Summon Distraction
Conjuration (Summoning)
Level: Druid 2, Bard 2, Ranger 2
Components: V, S
Casting time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. +10 ft./level)
Effect: One or more summoned creatures
Duration: 1 minute/level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell summons one or more animals, to function not as allies in combat but rather as a distraction. Roll randomly on the following table to determine the type and number:

{table]Roll|Effect
1-10|Ten tiny rats per caster level
11-20|One feuding cat and dog per caster level
21-30|One obstinate donkey per two caster levels
31-40|Five small but loud exotic birds per caster level
41-50|One 5-foot swarm of butterflies per caster level
51-60|One enthusiastic medium chimp per caster level
61-70|One 5-foot swarm of snakes per caster level
71-80|One curious medium bear per two caster levels
81-85|One irritated large bison per two caster levels
86-90|One bored giant stag beetle per two caster levels
91-95|One bewildered medium shark per caster level
96-100|One terrified huge elephant per three caster levels[/table]

Animals summoned in this way are not under the caster's direct control or even particularly friendly, and do not participate in combat, fleeing rather than fighting if attacked. They can be quite destructive to property, however, and unintentional injuries to trampled bystanders are possible.

The creatures summoned will either emerge suddenly from a nearby unseen area, or (if impossible) simply appear in the area specified, and generally begin acting in an extremely loud and agitated manner. They may appear in any contiguous area within range of the summoner, but do not need to stay in this area or within range of the summoner for the spell's duration. If slain, these creatures vanish instantly, revealing their summoned nature. Otherwise, the last minute of their duration is devoted to attempting to flee into the closest thing passing for "wilderness" before fading away.

PersonMan
2012-02-12, 05:47 AM
My only questions is: how could you fit 6 (the highest pre-epic) huge terrified elephants in a 20' radius area?

Doorhandle
2012-02-12, 05:55 AM
My only questions is: how could you fit 6 (the highest pre-epic) huge terrified elephants in a 20' radius area?

one is atop the others.

Terrorfied for a good reason. :smallbiggrin:

chrisrawr
2012-02-12, 10:30 AM
pre-epic? Caster levels are easy to get. I can probably slap 10 elephants into a 20x20 area.

PersonMan
2012-02-13, 11:15 AM
pre-epic? Caster levels are easy to get. I can probably slap 10 elephants into a 20x20 area.

And I can cast the spell while riding an elephant. It's just as irrelevant.

The point is, even before CL boosts, there's funkiness with the area and area of the summoned creatures.

chrisrawr
2012-02-13, 11:57 AM

The point is, even before CL boosts, there's funkiness with the area and area of the summoned creatures.

Irrelephant*

Eurus
2012-02-13, 11:58 AM

A fair point. I see two solutions. Either I can alter the area... or we assume an avalanche of pachyderm flesh. I'm inclined to go with the latter, but the former is a simple fix if it's desired. :smallamused:

EDIT: Changed the area. Now they appear wherever you want, as long as they're adjacent to each other.

zegram 33
2012-02-13, 03:03 PM
*petitions a higher level spell "elephant tsunami"*
a massive version of the butterfly thing would be exceedingly funny too
other than that: no possibility to accidentally summon a flck of white doves a la john woo?

moghue
2012-02-13, 03:12 PM
Irrelephant*

WOW I lol'd