PDA

View Full Version : DM tools/resources for generating monsters?

Con_Brio1993
2012-02-12, 10:34 AM
So my current DM wants to actually play, so the game I am in is now going to work under a rotating DM system.

We have access to the Monster Manual, but I wanted to get a bit more creative with the monsters. Are there any tools or good resources available that help a DM generate CL appropriate monsters?

agentnone
2012-02-12, 12:30 PM
What I usually do is look at monsters with templates and replace the template with something else. For example, take the traditional zombie. Take out the undead template and give it the plant traits. It still looks and moves like a zombie, but has no undead qualities. Makes the players think. Making small changes to familiar monsters can usually be enough to make the encounter memorable. What I always liked doing is having goblins, with a permanent Reduce Person cast on them and the Swarm Fighting ability. Goblins get scary if done right. I also read somewhere about someone having an albino red dragon that had retreated to the arctic recently to escape invaders or something. The players didn't do their homework and thought they were going against a white dragon. Little changes like that is all most encounters need. Plus it can reduce preparation time on your part.

phlidwsn
2012-02-12, 03:31 PM
Scraped this one out of my bookmark db, handles advancing HD and adding templates, class levels, and basic equipment.

http://www.monsteradvancer.com/

Con_Brio1993
2012-02-12, 05:32 PM
Thank you.