PDA

View Full Version : quick question with probibly a quick answer

RedderikHaverfi
2012-02-12, 12:24 PM
for spell failure of 20% and stuff is there any difference in rolling a single d10 or 2 d10 percentile?

Techsmart
2012-02-12, 12:29 PM
With any spell failure with a multiple of 10% chance, there's no functional difference. Honestly, when I roll things like arcane spell failure, stabilization, and miss chance, I usually roll a d20, since it's what is right in front of me and still has the same probabilities of success and failure. In the end, it is a DM call though.

nedz
2012-02-12, 01:06 PM
Theoretically:
There is no difference

In Practice:

Rolling 2 dice is more fiddly and slows the game down.

Its easier to cheat with 1 biased dice rather than 2, but if this is a serious problem - then you have other issues.

Heliomance
2012-02-12, 01:38 PM
How is it easier to cheat? If you're rolling a percentile dice and you're looking for multiples of 10%, the units die is literally irrelevant, in every conceivable way.

nedz
2012-02-12, 05:37 PM
I meant it might be easier to cheat with 1 loaded d10, loading d%s is not practical.

TuggyNE
2012-02-12, 08:10 PM
I meant it might be easier to cheat with 1 loaded d10, loading d%s is not practical.

Actually, Heliomance's point is that you need only load one of the d10s that most people use for d100 rolls, in order to cheat the roll as a whole. (I've never seen an actual 100-sided die :smallwink:) So whether you're "officially" rolling two dice, or just one... it makes no difference.

Knaight
2012-02-12, 08:21 PM
How is it easier to cheat? If you're rolling a percentile dice and you're looking for multiples of 10%, the units die is literally irrelevant, in every conceivable way.

One of the methods involves rolling a die in a way that makes it land on the desired side, which probably gets more difficult if you are rolling more dice at the same time due to collisions between the dice. That said, if cheating is even on your radar and worth paying attention to something has gone horribly wrong.

Captain Six
2012-02-12, 08:28 PM
I'm with Techsmart, I almost always roll a d20. Every side has a 5% chance of occurring which covers just about everything. Only when I'm rolling for treasure do I actually need a d%.

Belril Duskwalk
2012-02-12, 09:53 PM
(I've never seen an actual 100-sided die :smallwink:)

I own one. It's a bit larger than a golf-ball and very-nearly spherical. It's every bit as impractical as it sounds (can take quite a while to stop rolling) but it makes quite a statement.

In practical terms, a d10 or a d20 are every bit as good as a d% if you're looking for a multiple of 10 or 5 (respectively).

Earthwalker
2012-02-13, 08:49 AM
Of course with Dice bombing its simpler to cheat rolling 2D10 for D%. Of course I have only ever had one problem with a player dice bombing and the fact they do it, isn't really a problem with the dice.

I would say just use a D10 or D20 and forget the d% its just extra complication and dice.

nedz
2012-02-13, 08:14 PM
OK I seem to have derailed this thread into "How to cheat with dice" :smallfrown:
Most of the methods I'm aware of are easier with 1 dice - though with some it probably doesn't matter.

Knaight
2012-02-13, 10:26 PM
Of course with Dice bombing its simpler to cheat rolling 2D10 for D%. Of course I have only ever had one problem with a player dice bombing and the fact they do it, isn't really a problem with the dice.

I would say just use a D10 or D20 and forget the d% its just extra complication and dice.

It's even simpler using 1d10, which is the relevant part. The point is, if you are seriously concerned about cheating, the dice used become relevant - however, if you are in a situation where you are seriously concerned about cheating, you have a bigger problem anyways.