PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Fallout

Vknight
2012-02-12, 05:23 PM
Simple enough idea.
It a relatively average Eberron style D&D setting. All the common civilized races.
No wizards have noticed there infinite power loops etc.
Lots of magi-tech, steampunk things.
Now the bad things begin a group of wizards realized just all the things they could do. And they snapped what was stopping them what could possibly go against them? The various nations realizing what superpowers wizards could have also became worried.
The setting goes into a cold war everyone to afraid to unleash the power of a fully mastered wizard.
So each began building arks, forts, and other underground installations from which to hide from the inevitable destruction.
It happened then and spells rained from the sky. The destruction reshaped the settings landscape. Common conventions of geography no longer apply.
The spells turned the world into a great wasteland, from which it is trying to recover. Rare are there forests, plains, saved by powerful wards or just lucky.

The great magic users of the day destroyed by there own power.

So this is my idea for a setting that my other group is going to play in.
Its Fallout meets Dark Sun
This is just the basics think its a good idea?

I'm also going to post another version of this asking for ideas for the setting in the Homebrew forum.
So what would you put is a fantasy version of the Fallout universe? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12708166#post12708166)

Bit Fiend
2012-02-12, 06:17 PM
Isn't it basically this, what they did with 4e Forgotten Realms?

Vknight
2012-02-12, 07:01 PM
No they turned it into a Points of Light Set piece.
Still High Fantasy with powerful kingdoms and great evils.
A apocalypse did happen but it was not that bad. As the setting is recovering and any good hero's will turn it towards its former glory. It will take a bit of time but will happen

Dark Sun and Fallout are much more ambiguously grey. There apocalypse's left said setting in a way that there not recovering from
The people have had to adapt. In both settings there will never be a full recovery and many of the fundamentals of the former setting have changed drastically.

The big changes in FR were the facts that more magical things are more common and a new group of baddies replacing the epic level heros who would curb-stomp any evil party. There is also the occasional mutated individual with special abilities which take the shape of Blue Flames that give various benefits.
So your still fighting evil empires. There just now more magic and floating islands. Less tech and psionics. There are major cities etc and lots of them at that.
Its not what I want or see from this setting.

I see those who got power in the gap filling in making small states like the Sorcerer kings. Well at the same time various groups forming to there ideals after surviving or leaving there shelters. Again Dark Sun + Fallout

Seharvepernfan
2012-02-13, 03:08 PM
Yeah, I think its a good idea. Its interesting. I would like to play in it.

It would be a points of light setting, still. Just one where most of the points of light don't know of the other points of light. A map would be a highly valuable (and suspicious) thing. There would be a lot of exploration, and dungeons, and monsters. A great D&D campaign in my opinion.