PDA

View Full Version : Stating out Cthulhu

Calanon
2012-02-12, 07:50 PM
Cthulhu fhtagn everyone.

I wanna make stats for Cthulhu but haven't the slightest idea of where to start, All i know is that He would be an Elder Evil with a Divine Rank and be nigh unslayable (And would just take a nap after being "beaten" like a Tarassque... except you can't wish it dead).

If anyone has already seen a Cthulhu stat block for 3.5e I would be eternally grateful and remember, The great one is watching us all...

EDIT: and for the record, Yes i did think of the whole "Cthulhu pops on the map, everyone start rolling up new characters". Its only funny the first time.

WalkingTarget
2012-02-12, 07:55 PM
There is a licensed D20 version of Call of Cthulhu (from back in 2002) that has him and other Lovecraftian monstronsities statted up.

Edit - yeah, page 292 has Cthulhu, plus the general details of Divine Qualities specific for that book on page 289. Dunno how kosher it would be to post stats since I don't know if it's OGL material (I don't think it is).

Eldan
2012-02-12, 08:00 PM
First edition, or something thereabouts, statted up most of the Mythos. Of course, those stats don't exactly transfer well, when gods have 60 HP and deal 1d6+3 damage.

I'd question the Divine Rank: Cthulhu is a priest to the Elder Gods, not an Elder God himself.

Calanon
2012-02-12, 08:01 PM
There is a licensed D20 version of Call of Cthulhu (from back in 2002) that has him and other Lovecraftian monstronsities statted up.

Edit - yeah, page 292 has Cthulhu, plus the general details of Divine Qualities specific for that book on page 289. Dunno how kosher it would be to post stats since I don't know if it's OGL material (I don't think it is).

Heh... never noticed that page before O_O (I have the hardcopy and never noticed it... *facepalm*)

WalkingTarget
2012-02-12, 08:06 PM
Heh... never noticed that page before O_O (I have the hardcopy and never noticed it... *facepalm*)

Well then. Glad to help.

balistafreak
2012-02-12, 11:11 PM
I seem to remember a quote about Cthulhu or some other eldritch abomination devouring 1d4 investigators every round. Source?

dspeyer
2012-02-12, 11:38 PM
I seem to remember a quote about Cthulhu or some other eldritch abomination devouring 1d4 investigators every round. Source?

ISTR that's the rule from the Call of Cthulhu RPG.

The point is that if it had normal stats, sufficiently skilled optimizers could take it in a straight fight, and that wouldn't fit the feel of the setting.

They were right, but perhaps the setting here is different.

Calanon
2012-02-12, 11:44 PM
ISTR that's the rule from the Call of Cthulhu RPG.

The point is that if it had normal stats, sufficiently skilled optimizers could take it in a straight fight, and that wouldn't fit the feel of the setting.

They were right, but perhaps the setting here is different.

I just wanted to see Cthulhu's base stats so i can optimize them myself :smalltongue:

If anyone else wants to do the other Old Ones then hit me with your best shot.

motoko's ghost
2012-02-13, 01:21 AM
Just out of curiosity, Why are you trying to stat up cthulu?

Ashtagon
2012-02-13, 02:17 AM

That's a complete nerf of his real stats! He devours 1d6 PCs every round.

nyarlathotep
2012-02-13, 02:29 AM
That's a complete nerf of his real stats! He devours 1d6 PCs every round.

Wimpy kids stuff where i come from he devours 1d6 players per round. That's why only old Davie was allowed to GM CoC his mouth could unhinge like a serpent.

TroubleBrewing
2012-02-13, 02:35 AM
Wimpy kids stuff where i come from he devours 1d6 players per round. That's why only old Davie was allowed to GM CoC his mouth could unhinge like a serpent.

You, sir, have won an internet. Congratulations.

Prime32
2012-02-13, 08:08 AM
Well first we need to calculate how much damage would be dealt by a steamboat collision.

CTrees
2012-02-13, 08:33 AM
Well, the steamboat didn't kill Cthulhu, it just stunned him long enough to be sucked back down with a sinking city, essentially. Maybe Dust of Sneezing and Choking is made of ground up steamboats? If even big C can't make the save, that would model well the "no save, just a long, unavoidable stun."

Also, SAN damage is kinda hard to make work in D&D. If I was actually putting Cthulhu into a game, I think I'd have anything to do with him add taint, with all the associated effects. Seems to fit better within the established mechanics, even if it isn't wonderful (the sort of insanity he bred does not fit with insanity-generating spells).

Prime32
2012-02-13, 09:18 AM
Well, the steamboat didn't kill Cthulhu, it just stunned him long enough to be sucked back down with a sinking city, essentially.Eh, it did pretty heavy damage, it just couldn't overcome his regeneration.

Pokonic
2012-02-16, 08:45 PM
Pathfinder has his Spawn, which are basicly smaller versions of him, in one book or another. Then again, there about CR 20 and the big guy proper is stated to have absolutely no stats. Good idea to start with them, tho.

Calanon
2012-02-17, 12:25 AM
Just out of curiosity, Why are you trying to stat up cthulu?

Mostly insane curiosity :smallamused: I want to see how powerful I can make Cthulhu before I get bored I've stated out Yog Sothoth Who pretty much conjurs insane creatures from beyond the cosmos to ravage anything who dare step in his path (However its highly unlikely that he'll ever fight anything so eh, pointless optimization is pointless)

Ossian
2012-02-17, 06:57 AM
Chtulhu should be tough, but no too tough. He's about the same CR as, say, a fishing boat. :smallwink:

No seriously, on an old fanzine i saw an article about Elric and this "versus": could Stormbringer kill Chtulhu? They were both statted in the d100 system, so sort of compatible. The black sword does a ton of extra physical damage, but also a sould drain of 1d100 mana points or something like that.

Chtulhu has relatively few HPs (some 160) so Stormy could really dispatch him in 1 or 2 rounds, even though he d start regenerating to full HP from the following round.

The thing is, that he has an insane amount of MANA (from a human perspective) but still not enough to survive the sol eating blade. So yes, Stormbringer could kill Cthulhu FOR Good , but that would greatly anger his daddies (the elder gods) and that'd bring about just nothing short of the final and utter apocalypse.

He is a minor deity, then, but I don't think he d fare that well in D&Ds abyss or hell. That is stuff tailored to a universe where there are epic level adventurers and epic level gear and epic level people who do not quite buy the whole "unspeakable and mysterious horror " thing. Chtulhu lives in a setting off...well... archaeology professors? Journalists? I mean...

So, let's say he's a 30 HD outsider, gangantuan, with 20 levels of Sorcerer and 20 of Cleric on top of that, with 5 to 8 Divine ranks (between Demigod and lesser deity). AC in the low 40s, and regeneration powers on a scale of Wolverine x Troll x The Zergs' Creep

O.