PDA

View Full Version : Help with Gish boss fight

0Megabyte
2012-02-12, 10:43 PM
So, come Wednesday I need to have a boss fight prepared. He's not the BBEG (that'll be a Daelkyr long down the road) but he's going to need to be able to take on five 7th level adventurers.

The plan is to make him a gish. I'm thinking something along the lines of a Fighter 1/Human Paragon 1/Wizard 1/Human Paragon 2/Spellsword1/Abjurant Champion added to taste.

So, at level 9, you'd have 7 levels of wizard spellcasting, I think at least a +6 BAB, and some decent hit points.

(Yes, Human Paragon is a bit of a trap for the build. I don't care, because he's an NPC, not a PC. He's only meant to be around once.)

I can build a spell list and whatnot, but... my main goal, and my main goal is to get extra actions. Sure, I can do some DM fiat to give him a bonus second turn during battle, but I'm hoping for things a bit more legal. Tips and tricks for evening up the action economy a bit. (He's also templated with Half-Troll, from Fiend Folio, for full disclosure.)

I need to be able to attack again in the middle of enemy turns, to even cast spells at times. At the very least, using swift actions, multiple attacks in a turn, and hopefully even some sort of extra immediate actions. Belts of battle seem like a good place to start, though something even better would be anything that could allow me to take at least an extra partial turn in-between enemy turns.

So! My friends and com-patriots! Does anyone know any clever tricks or abilities that might help in this titanic struggle against the action economy?!

DoctorGlock
2012-02-12, 11:01 PM
getting him extra actions himself is difficult, but like any good boss fight, he should have minions to help him. He has enough casting to have infiltrated organizations and charmed people so it is not unthinkable to throw some elite bodyguards

polymorph him into a choker for an extra standard act per round, looks ridiculous

get daze immunity with mark of the dauntless and spam celerity

consider using warblade and JPM so he can white raven tactics himself

alternately consider psi gish on an ardent base. they can do terrible things to the action economy, things involving linked and twinned synchronicities.

JadePhoenix
2012-02-12, 11:13 PM
Wow, with half-troll, this guy is going to be one tough cookie. You sure your party can handle it?

0Megabyte
2012-02-13, 12:22 AM
DoctorGlock: That's the thing! He isn't the only person to have people "inside" the organization. You see, the bard managed to help get one of the other leaders of the organization to help in taking him out... sabatoging some of his magical defenses, conveniently getting soldiers out of the area on other assignments, etc. Basically, infighting between this powerful member of the organization, and the more mundane noble who doesn't trust him, and for good reason.

JadePhoenix: It may be tough, but I don't think they'll lose. This group is pretty well made for butt-kicking.

Also, that's why I hesitate to give him minions. Alone, he's going to be a mouthful. But with help... he may well win. And white raven tactics is better with teammates, definitely.

JadePhoenix
2012-02-13, 01:32 AM
Also, I just wanted to say your first level should be Human Paragon.

Torvon
2012-02-13, 05:31 AM
consider using warblade and JPM so he can white raven tactics himself

What is JPM?
Thanks
T.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-02-13, 06:06 AM
Elan, Ranger 1/ Psion (Kineticist) 6/ Slayer 2+, Psicrystal Affinity, Practiced Manifester, Power Attack, Improved Elan Resilience, etc. Use Wild Shape Ranger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#ranger) to get Fast Movement for no drawback, maybe also Speed of Thought for a 50 ft. land speed.

Powers Known should include Vigor, Share Pain, Solicit Psicrystal, and Control Body. Have Share Pain on his Psicrystal, he can use Vigor and share it for a huge HP cushion. Between that and Improved Elan Resilience, the fight should last until he runs out of powerpoints. Don't forget the Psicrystal's Hardness 8 should prevent most of the damage that would be transferred to it.

Start combat by manifesting Control Body targeting himself, and Solicit Psicrystal it. His Psicrystal now spends its turn controlling his physical actions, using his own Int bonus for attack and damage rolls, and his mind and his own actions are free to manifest powers every round. Energy Ray is useful for destroying opponents' weapons, armor, spell component pouches, holy symbols, etc. but can be a bit mean to use on PCs; maybe just hit someone's belt with it so their pants fall around their ankles. Energy Stun is extremely mean, especially if you ignore the power nerfs in CP. Time Hop is also good for disarming opponents or just as a crowd control, especially if they're in a room with moving hazards that may put the target in harm's way when he reappears.

DoctorGlock
2012-02-13, 11:03 AM
What is JPM?
Thanks
T.

Jade Pheonix Mage, 10/10 BAB, 8/10 casting, full IL progress. while it does not get white raven as a discipline, it boosts IL enough to grab it with either more warblade or with a feat

caster 5/warblade 1/JPM 10/Abjurant 4 will end up with IL 15, CL 17, BAB 17, not the best gish on the planet, but maneuvers are fun

gbprime
2012-02-13, 11:15 AM
Also, 9th level and wiz 7 is the magic number for the Minor Shapeshift reserve feat. With it, you can spend a swift action every round to give yourself temp HP equal to your character level. It removes some of his swift-action spell options, but an extra 9 temp HP each round extends his life considerably.

And don't forget Heart of Earth. He can start the combat with Stoneskin and 14 temp HP, which gives him a round or two to rattle off whatever swift action spells might be in his head before he starts spending those actions for an extra 9 temp HP each round...

Lord Il Palazzo
2012-02-13, 11:17 AM
polymorph him into a choker for an extra standard act per round, looks ridiculousUnless I'm missing something (which is entirely possible) this one doesn't work. A choker's quickness is supernatural and polymorph doesn't play well with supernatural abilities.

Linkscoolfriend
2012-02-13, 11:28 AM
Just a thought, but could always include a little minion Marshal from the minis book. Extra actions were one of his specialties, if I remember correctly.

If you were to include a puny little 8th level Marshall as a cohort of some sort, he could act on his own initiative and give your boss baddie an extra move action immediately. He can do this 2/day (although I don't expect either of these dudes to live through this encounter) at 8th level, so that right there is two move actions you didn't have before. Not much, but it isn't bad either.

Add more Marshalls to get more moves. Also their auras could be fun.

DoctorGlock
2012-02-13, 11:37 AM
Unless I'm missing something (which is entirely possible) this one doesn't work. A choker's quickness is supernatural and polymorph doesn't play well with supernatural abilities.

huh, i thought it was EX. assume SU will work if you have room