PDA

View Full Version : Swashbuckler/Dragon Devotee/Dragon Samurai?! Really?!

JadePhoenix
2012-02-13, 01:23 AM
Hello, Playground.
My boyfriend is playing a swashbuckler/dragon devotee in our next game and I just discovered he wants to wade into dragon samurai after that. I read it over and it just does not seem nice. Can you guys help me convince him to go into something that makes a bit more sense? A mean, not even the fluff fits.

hex0
2012-02-13, 06:21 PM
Dragon Devotee doesn't give any damage bonus as not sneak attack...

Rogue/Swash/Dragon Devotee is...okay with Daring Outlaw. What the heck is Dragon Samurai?

It would probably be better to go into a casting prc, i'd image.

onemorelurker
2012-02-13, 06:40 PM
Hello, Playground.
My boyfriend is playing a swashbuckler/dragon devotee in our next game and I just discovered he wants to wade into dragon samurai after that. I read it over and it just does not seem nice. Can you guys help me convince him to go into something that makes a bit more sense? A mean, not even the fluff fits.

What's the character's fluff? We can make a lot of generic suggestions of decent character options, but you'll get better feedback overall if you explain what this character is supposed to be and do. Does he just want to be as dragon-y a martial character as possible?

What the heck is Dragon Samurai?

It's a Miniatures Handbook PrC, which is also available online here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030906c).

hex0
2012-02-13, 06:54 PM
It's a Miniatures Handbook PrC, which is also available online here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030906c).

Wow. That's pretty generic. :smallamused:

Why not just become a Dragonborn?

Chronos
2012-02-13, 07:08 PM
Wow, that dragon samurai class is the worst dragon-themed class I've ever seen. A once-a-day breath weapon is utterly ignorable, the added energy damage to weapons doesn't stack with any energy damage mods on the weapon, and it's not even full BAB. You're spending 10 levels and 3 BAB for what, 30 resist to one element? There's nothing in that class that you wouldn't get from Dragonfire Adept or even Dragon Shaman. Which still wouldn't work very well with Swashbuckler, for that matter.

JadePhoenix
2012-02-13, 07:09 PM
What's the character's fluff? We can make a lot of generic suggestions of decent character options, but you'll get better feedback overall if you explain what this character is supposed to be and do. Does he just want to be as dragon-y a martial character as possible?

He's supposed to be the last remaining descendent of a long lost silver dragon bloodline. While dragon devotee makes sense in a 'awakening ancient power' way, dragon samurai is more of a 'worshipping dragons' thing.

hex0
2012-02-13, 07:15 PM
He's supposed to be the last remaining descendent of a long lost silver dragon bloodline. While dragon devotee makes sense in a 'awakening ancient power' way, dragon samurai is more of a 'worshipping dragons' thing.

If I were to go that route, I'd go into Dragon Disciple instead. It is pretty sad that a prc with Samurai in the title has 3/4 BAB. :smallfurious:

onemorelurker
2012-02-13, 07:26 PM

None of this necessarily says "Swashbuckler" to me. Is the swashbuckler archetype (not necessarily the Swashbuckler class) important to him? Because if it's just dragons all the way down, he'd probably get more mileage out of a Dragon Shaman, DFA, or Sorcerer.

JadePhoenix
2012-02-13, 07:33 PM
None of this necessarily says "Swashbuckler" to me. Is the swashbuckler archetype (not necessarily the Swashbuckler class) important to him? Because if it's just dragons all the way down, he'd probably get more mileage out of a Dragon Shaman, DFA, or Sorcerer.

He wants to be a martial character with a touch of dragon.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-02-13, 07:43 PM
He wants to be a martial character with a touch of dragon.

Alright. So why is he playing a swashbuckler? I know you have Tome of Battle, you made a thread requesting a Jade Phoenix Mage avatar. Even barbarian would be better, heck, fighter would be better.

JadePhoenix
2012-02-13, 07:51 PM
Alright. So why is he playing a swashbuckler? I know you have Tome of Battle, you made a thread requesting a Jade Phoenix Mage avatar. Even barbarian would be better, heck, fighter would be better.
My group is low op, he enjoys Swashbuckler, it fits his character, I see no reason to change it. My beef is with Dragon Samurai.
Also, while I have ToB, the DM has not allowed it's use in this game.
Otherwise I'd be playing a JPM, grumble grumble

hex0
2012-02-13, 08:16 PM
My group is low op, he enjoys Swashbuckler, it fits his character, I see no reason to change it. My beef is with Dragon Samurai.
Also, while I have ToB, the DM has not allowed it's use in this game.
Otherwise I'd be playing a JPM, grumble grumble

Bump Dragon Samurai up to BAB and we'll call it even... :smallbiggrin:

Randomguy
2012-02-13, 09:00 PM
What about the Dragon Lord prestige class? It's easy to get into, it's got full BAB, d10 HD, you get a few draconic auras and a few minor bonuses. It's not great, but it's not any worse than dragon samurai.

Isn't there a dragon knight gish prc or something? Or is that dragon slayer?

Manateee
2012-02-13, 09:16 PM
Can you gestalt an accelerated-progression Dragonfire Adept onto the Dragon Samurai? I'm thinking Invocations at the rate of Fighter feats, a 10d6 breath weapon and 5 breath effects.

The class is terrible, but if the guy wants to play it, you might as well make it worth playing.

Prime32
2012-02-13, 09:20 PM
On that "dragon samurai breath weapon is ignorable" thing...

If a dragon samurai already has a breath weapon of the same type, the damage stacks.It's ambiguous whether you're adding your dragon samurai damage to the other weapon or vice versa though.

JadePhoenix
2012-02-13, 09:39 PM
Ok, report from the trenches.
He wants to add draconic feats to his character, that's why he wants dragon devotee (because it gets casting as a sorcerer and thus qualifies for draconic feats - I don't think this works per RAW, but he said he talked to the DM about it already). Dragon Samurai would boost the breath weapon he gets from the draconic feat and give him bonus damage (he is going TWF). It's not THAT bad now that I think about it... and if he is going to be main damage dealer himself, I should be able to be a spellthief/bladedancer myself and not worry much about it.

Frankly, I was mostly worried about the silver fetish. Damn you, Argentina.
Thanks everyone. :smallcool:

Chronos
2012-02-13, 10:11 PM
If a dragon samurai already has a breath weapon of the same type, the damage stacks. If you read a little further, what they say by "of the same type", they mean "one usable 1/day".

onemorelurker
2012-02-13, 10:13 PM
Ok, report from the trenches.
He wants to add draconic feats to his character, that's why he wants dragon devotee (because it gets casting as a sorcerer and thus qualifies for draconic feats - I don't think this works per RAW, but he said he talked to the DM about it already). Dragon Samurai would boost the breath weapon he gets from the draconic feat and give him bonus damage (he is going TWF). It's not THAT bad now that I think about it... and if he is going to be main damage dealer himself, I should be able to be a spellthief/bladedancer myself and not worry much about it.

Frankly, I was mostly worried about the silver fetish. Damn you, Argentina.
Thanks everyone. :smallcool:

Is he a Silverbrow Human (and if not, why not)? IIRC, dragontouched races qualify for draconic feats as if they were sorcerers.