PDA

View Full Version : Cool things to do with Craft Magic arms&armor

NullShadow
2012-02-13, 01:37 AM
I've been spending about a week rummaging through my books in order to do this. At level 20 i will be an artificer 5/ incarnate 1/ battlesmith 4/ ironsoul forgemaster 10. This will net me a total Ecl of 49 for the purposes of crafting magic arms and armor.

Now let us assume I am allowed 2 flaws for 2 feats, what could i do with such a massive ecl?

Mystify
2012-02-13, 01:40 AM
The hard part will be finding time.
Does your DM rule that crafting your own items means you get to make up new ones based on the magic item rules(pending his approval, of course)? That changes your options alot.

NullShadow
2012-02-13, 01:48 AM
For the most part, yes. While I really like the idea of this build, the only thing i could think of building was a Spell resistance 61 shield (ml 49+the spells base of 12)

Mystify
2012-02-13, 02:09 AM
For the most part, yes. While I really like the idea of this build, the only thing i could think of building was a Spell resistance 61 shield (ml 49+the spells base of 12)

Spell resistence has its own rules for cost, you can't just use the spell instead.

What is cool to do depends on the party. The artificer in my party created a flying chariot of doom. It had a high fly speed, could turn invisible, flicker, teleport, produced food for the party, had buffing auras, and double crossbow mount one character used to high effectiveness.

Also, keep in mind that you have to pay based on the caster level. Its generally best to find things that work irregardless of caster level and enchant them as cheap as possible than to buff the caster level up.

NullShadow
2012-02-13, 03:10 AM
well, i was thinking something along the lines of having it be useable 3/day or something

Mystify
2012-02-13, 03:46 AM
well, i was thinking something along the lines of having it be useable 3/day or something
With the value you listed, that would cost 264,600 gp. Which makes it an epic item, and you would need an epic feat to make it.

Actually, looking at the cost of spell resistance, it lines up perfectly with the cost of the spell as a continuous enchantment. So, the pricing of it based on the spell is probably reasonable.

Still, it would be expensive.

Psyren
2012-02-13, 09:13 AM
You should make yourself a Dedicated Wright (ECS 285). Then it can toil away in your bag of holding while you pick your nose adventure.

And even without custom items this is a good build, because you can craft the entire party's gear at steep discounts. (Especially once you factor in your crafting reserve.)

NullShadow
2012-02-13, 03:24 PM
Can you make a Dedicated Wright with the craft homunculus class ability, or do you need the craft construct feat?

Mystify
2012-02-13, 05:53 PM
Can you make a Dedicated Wright with the craft homunculus class ability, or do you need the craft construct feat?

Craft homonculus covers it.

NullShadow
2012-02-13, 05:58 PM
Good stuff. Now that I know this awesome info, is there any real use for a high ecl when making magic items?

rmg22893
2012-02-13, 06:00 PM
What is cool to do depends on the party. The artificer in my party created a flying chariot of doom. It had a high fly speed, could turn invisible, flicker, teleport, produced food for the party, had buffing auras, and double crossbow mount one character used to high effectiveness.

That's freaking creepy. I designed a flying fortress for my party that is nearly identical to what you just described...

NullShadow
2012-02-13, 06:04 PM
Ok, now I might just take the Landlord feat. Those sound awesome.

Mystify
2012-02-13, 06:12 PM
Good stuff. Now that I know this awesome info, is there any real use for a high ecl when making magic items?

There may be some... but they will be scattered, and you will always pay dearly for it. But unless you can find something specific that is worth it, I wouldn't put any effort into it.

Chronos
2012-02-13, 07:11 PM
Do you have that effective caster level for other item types, too, or just for arms and armor? Because a high CL could be useful for spell items like potions, scrolls, wands, and staves.

Psyren
2012-02-13, 07:25 PM
Do you have that effective caster level for other item types, too, or just for arms and armor? Because a high CL could be useful for spell items like potions, scrolls, wands, and staves.

Just Arms & Armor sadly. It does at least cut down on the number of crafting feats he'll need.

NullShadow
2012-02-13, 09:31 PM
Ok, so maybe a build of artificer 5/incarnate 5/Ironsoul forgemaster 10?

Psyren
2012-02-14, 10:15 AM
Ok, so maybe a build of artificer 5/incarnate 5/Ironsoul forgemaster 10?

While Incarnate 5 does get you hands and feet, you can also get those from Open Least Chakra (the spell or the feat, your choice.) So consider going Incarnate 3/Totemist 2 instead of Incarnate 5. This gets you your Totem chakra, as well as all the totemist melds with no additional feat expenditure. You don't even lose any essentia or binds this way.

It could be painful if your DM enforces multiclassing penalties though.