PDA

View Full Version : Help with my advertisement for a game.

Mystic Muse
2012-02-13, 01:59 AM
I'm Running a game of D&D 3.5 in person, and need of some more players. I would like help writing out my advertisement for the game so that I get the necessary information and such, and so that I don't scare people off. What I have so far is below in Italics.

Players needed for a Red Hand of Doom Campaign for Dungeons and Dragons 3.5. Several Houserules are in effect to allow players to make their characters more unique. The current party consists of

A Hobgoblin Knight/Fighter

A Silverbrow Wizard/Fighter

And a Goliath Barbarian/Fighter.

The game is gestalt with a special rule. Your other side must be fighter. Here are the rules for character generation.

Level 8 (The Party is currently level 7, but they're very close to 8)

Standard Wealth for your level

40 Point buy, and then add 2 to each of your scores.

All skills are considered Class skills for your character.

Everything from Dragon Magazine is on an approval only basis.

I do allow Homebrew, but it is also on an approval only basis.

I politely request that you let me look over your character before adding them to the campaign. This is simply to make sure your character is roughly in line with the others, and that there isn't anything that will break the campaign across your knee.

As an additional preference, Mind Control is something that I am very much disturbed by for personal reasons, so please refrain from using it as much as possible.

Other than that, I have a very simple rule for my table: Don't be a funkill. Make sure the other players are okay with actions you believe might be comfortable before you do them. Also, if somebody expresses discomfort with a topic of discussion, I would prefer it be dropped.

If you are interested, please contact me at *Phone Number* and ask for *name*, contact me at *Email*, or PM me at *Name on Local Forums* The phone is a more reliable method to reach me by.

We play every other Saturday. Our Next Session will be the 18th of February, then the 3rd of March, ETC.

We meet at 10:30 AM to 2:00 PM. Sometimes we go a half an hour over, or a half an hour under.

Our meeting place is *Store name* at the *location*

I'm trying to not come off as not too demanding, but I'm worried that I come off as spineless.

some guy
2012-02-13, 08:53 AM
I have never read game advertisements, so take my advise with a pinch of salt. But I would shorten it, like this:

Players needed for a Red Hand of Doom Campaign for Dungeons and Dragons 3.5. Several Houserules are in effect.

[snip]

If you are interested, please contact me at *Phone Number* and ask for *name*, contact me at *Email*, or PM me at *Name on Local Forums* The phone is a more reliable method to reach me by.

We play every other Saturday. Our Next Session will be the 18th of February, then the 3rd of March, ETC.

We meet at 10:30 AM to 2:00 PM. Sometimes we go a half an hour over, or a half an hour under.

Then, relay all other information when someone contacts you.
Also, one thing I think is missing, is how many sessions you expect the game would last.

Tyndmyr
2012-02-13, 09:38 AM
I'm Running a game of D&D 3.5 in person, and need of some more players. I would like help writing out my advertisement for the game so that I get the necessary information and such, and so that I don't scare people off. What I have so far is below in Italics.

Players needed for a Red Hand of Doom Campaign for Dungeons and Dragons 3.5. Several Houserules are in effect to allow players to make their characters more unique. The current party consists of

A Hobgoblin Knight/Fighter

A Silverbrow Wizard/Fighter

And a Goliath Barbarian/Fighter.

The game is gestalt with a special rule. Your other side must be fighter. Here are the rules for character generation.

Level 8 (The Party is currently level 7, but they're very close to 8)

Standard Wealth for your level

40 Point buy, and then add 2 to each of your scores.

All skills are considered Class skills for your character.

Everything from Dragon Magazine is on an approval only basis.

I do allow Homebrew, but it is also on an approval only basis.

I politely request that you let me look over your character before adding them to the campaign. This is simply to make sure your character is roughly in line with the others, and that there isn't anything that will break the campaign across your knee.

As an additional preference, Mind Control is something that I am very much disturbed by for personal reasons, so please refrain from using it as much as possible.

Other than that, I have a very simple rule for my table: Don't be a funkill. Make sure the other players are okay with actions you believe might be comfortable before you do them. Also, if somebody expresses discomfort with a topic of discussion, I would prefer it be dropped.

I'm trying to not come off as not too demanding, but I'm worried that I come off as spineless.

Some players are kinda ADD, so short descriptions are fantastic.

My advice.

D&D 3.5 game, weekly at *store name*,*location*, saturdays at 10:30 AM!
3 players already, x players needed.
Please email me at x for char creation rules and other details.

Short and sweet is the way to go, and the what, when, where, how sort of things need to be covered as much as possible. The why can be ignored entirely.

NikitaDarkstar
2012-02-13, 10:06 AM
I have never read game advertisements, so take my advise with a pinch of salt. But I would shorten it, like this:

Then, relay all other information when someone contacts you.
Also, one thing I think is missing, is how many sessions you expect the game would last.

I'm totally with Some Guy here, except he snipped that it's a Gestalt game, which I'd leave in there. But yhea info on current players and rules at the table don't need to be on there, instead put a short summary of the campaign so far and how many more sessions/levels you expect the game to last.

nedz
2012-02-14, 06:58 PM
Some critiques - YMMV

It seems quite dry, why not add some more fluffy text ?

Perhaps expand on Red Hand of Doom ? What do you mean when you say this ?

The houserules should be smallprint perhaps ?