View Full Version : Shadowbane Stalker, is it worth it?

DoughGuy
2012-02-13, 02:34 AM
So I'm building a backup character for my current gestalt game and decided on one side going Rogue 5/Trapsmith 1/ Swiftblade 10/ Rogue 4. On the second side I wanted somethin that continued the sneaky theme but I also wanted a sort of authority theme. I looked at shadowbane inquisitor but that didnt really fit the build so I instead turned to shadowbane stalker. I like the look of the class but I've never seen one played before.

So playground is shadowbane stalker a good PrC? If so what is a good base class for it? Preferably something int based. I'd prefer not to use archivist so instead I'm looking for an int based class that gives detect evil as a class feature or another int based divine caster.

As always thanks for the help.

tyckspoon
2012-02-13, 03:59 AM
It's not a terrible class. It's not great either, tho, and in high optimization those 2 dropped casting advancement levels make it a non-starter. Still, it's nice to have a divine counterpart class to things like Unseen Seer (if only it was full advancement like the arcane ones. :smallsigh: )

For how to get into it.. well, the entry requirement for Detect Evil or casting Detect Evil as divine basically requires Paladin or a divine caster that uses the Cleric list. Cleric is of course your most powerful option, because, you know, full caster. Favored Soul will also work if you wanted. Your Rogue levels on the other half can easily provide the Sneak Attack and skills requirements, so straight Cleric will get you there without any special building.

(Does the game you're in allow having two PrCs at once? If not, you have your Trapsmith/Swiftblade levels smack in the middle of the prime prestige-classing levels, which will block off prestiging the other 'side' by the usual gestalt guidelines.)

DoughGuy
2012-02-13, 05:05 AM
It's not a terrible class. It's not great either, tho, and in high optimization those 2 dropped casting advancement levels make it a non-starter. Still, it's nice to have a divine counterpart class to things like Unseen Seer (if only it was full advancement like the arcane ones. :smallsigh: )

For how to get into it.. well, the entry requirement for Detect Evil or casting Detect Evil as divine basically requires Paladin or a divine caster that uses the Cleric list. Cleric is of course your most powerful option, because, you know, full caster. Favored Soul will also work if you wanted. Your Rogue levels on the other half can easily provide the Sneak Attack and skills requirements, so straight Cleric will get you there without any special building.

(Does the game you're in allow having two PrCs at once? If not, you have your Trapsmith/Swiftblade levels smack in the middle of the prime prestige-classing levels, which will block off prestiging the other 'side' by the usual gestalt guidelines.)

I would love to take cleric but I'd rather not be MAD. I'm already going to pump int and dex (though maybe int not so much) and possibly strength so I'd prefer not to add wis to that.

My DM allows us to take whatever levels we want apart frokm dual progression PrCs whenever we fufill the requirements (we're about medium op). Is there an int based pali thats stil LG? The full BAB would be very useful.

DoughGuy
2012-02-13, 05:11 AM
Sorry double post.

hex0
2012-02-13, 07:08 PM
Not really worth it. Put in some spellthief, maybe some telflammor shadowlord.