PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] building a daggerspell mage, and need some advice

Mezmote
2012-02-13, 02:52 AM
Hey playground.

I've been searching this place for a while yet I've been unable to find solid and direct advice on the prestige class Daggerspell Mage (CAd). My character in our long running campaign died off, and I'd like to replace him with this guy.

Level 14 Human
Spellthief 1/ Wizard 5/ Daggerspell Mage 8 (and finishing off with arcane trickster).
We rolled stats, and they were generous: Str 11, Dex 20, Con 18, Int 18, Wis 14, Cha 10.

First off, the only books allowed are core + all completes (except champion, and classes from mage). For now, I'm quite happy with the build. It isn't the most optimized, but that's not really what I'm aiming for anyway. This build is still effective compared to the amount of rangers, fighters and knights in our group.

What I need is some advice on is spell selection and feat selection. As for spells, I'm pretty sure I'll pick up at least Fly and Orb of Acid/Flame, but besides that I'm blank. Feats are very similar. I know I need WF (dagger) and TWF, but besides that, I'm blank.

I intend to melee a lot, and use the Arcane Throw as much as possible when it'll make more sense. And doing range with the orbs when throwing isn't an option.

What would you do with such a guy?

Dexam
2012-02-13, 03:35 AM
Feat-wise, I'd recommend Weapon Finesse (PH) and Master Spellthief (CSc) as must have's. Arcane Strike (CW) is also a pretty good choice for increased damage output.

Seeing as you are planning to enter melee, do be aware that the character is quite squishy, so pick some defensive spells - Mirror Image is always a good choice, as is Blink. Haste is a forever useful spell and your beatstick comrades will love you for it. Invisibility or Swift Invisibility are good choices for getting sneak attack or if you need to flee. If Wraithstrike is available (not sure what book it is in other than Spell Compendium), it's a good choice for making sure those attacks hit. Combat debuffers like Ray of Enfeeblement and Enervation are solid. For area effect, Stinking Cloud and Evards Black Tentacles.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.