PDA

View Full Version : Just made first avatar, feedback please!

AscendantJim
2012-02-13, 05:00 AM
My current avatar(my first, bandana hobgoblin) I made when I had just joined these forums(yesterday), it was my first try at inkscape. Feedback please!:smallsmile: I HAVE CHANGED MY AVATAR BTW

Domochevsky
2012-02-13, 09:23 AM
Is there a special reason you needed two threads for this? :smallwink:

AscendantJim
2012-02-13, 10:55 AM
the other thread is a separate thing for storing stuff. This is purely for feedback

Derjuin
2012-02-13, 12:00 PM
Overall? It is a good first avatar, though there are a few things that could be worked on:

Some of the lines (particularly in the arms and legs) seem almost jagged, like the work was made at a larger resolution, exported and then resized afterwards or something. The lines in the legs and the bandanna seem really small; typically an OotS style avatar in a 120x120 work area has 2.0 size lines, with 1.0 or even 0.5 size lines reserved for smaller details that a 2.0 line can't express well. I also just noticed the size is a little off - 87 x 128 (120x120 is the max), the feet are getting cut off. Also I'm not really sure what's going on with the arm in the middle of the body - it looks like you tried a perspective other than 3/4, but everything else is still in 3/4 (3/4 being the default perspective of characters in the OotS comic). The bandanna also seems a bit flat; a curved line indicating the edge would better create the image that it's on a round object.

If you don't already, using sources from the comic helps a lot with proportion and especially line thickness.

Hope this helps!

AscendantJim
2012-02-13, 01:37 PM
Some of the lines (particularly in the arms and legs) seem almost jagged, like the work was made at a larger resolution, exported and then resized afterwards or something

I had to resize it, because of problems with it originally being too big.

If you don't already, using sources from the comic helps a lot with proportion and especially line thickness.

I do, but I had to resize it, because of problems with it originally being too big.

TY for the feedback!

AscendantJim
2012-02-14, 06:48 AM
If anybody knows how to, please tell me how to delete threads. TY

Mauve Shirt
2012-02-14, 06:57 AM
Report the thread and ask the mods to delete it. :smallsmile:

Dogmantra
2012-02-14, 07:20 AM
Biggest issue I can see is the hands. Most of them are a bit scruffy, and almost V shaped. Hands in this style tend to be more like a slightly stretched C.

To make 'em neater, I'd suggest drawing just a straight line with two nodes (one at each end), then grabbing the curve handles and dragging them so that they're parallel to each other. That'll give you a nice smooth uniform curve, and you can adjust how big the hand is by changing the length of the handles. Then just pop the finished hand onto the end of your arm.

AscendantJim
2012-02-15, 06:19 AM
To make 'em neater, I'd suggest drawing just a straight line with two nodes (one at each end), then grabbing the curve handles and dragging them so that they're parallel to each other. That'll give you a nice smooth uniform curve, and you can adjust how big the hand is by changing the length of the handles. Then just pop the finished hand onto the end of your arm.

TY I will do that soon.