PDA

View Full Version : Questions from a re-newbie

Rockshister
2012-02-13, 09:37 AM
Hey folks!

So I have some questions, but I should head this off with a little explaining. I'm a D&Der from years back, been out of the game for 10+ years. Actually, I stopped playing right about the time 3.5 came out. Never did play 3.0 much, as my group back then preferred 2ed. So, my gaming knowledge is not completely blank, but I'm basically having to rel-learn the system.

Now for my questions.

I have a Duskblade I'm playing in a campaign (currently low level, with intent to go epic). The DM had previously possed the question for a good Duskblade build to which I am so far planning to stick to. Being Dub 5/ArC 5/WB1/JPM 9.

The problem I'm having currently is our group really has no healer, and truthfully no decent tank. So I'm getting splattered (granted mostly due to my own mistakes). I'm looking for ways to keep myself up at lower levels. So looking for suggestions or tricks of the trade to keep myself up during combat.

The other thing was questions regarding prestige classes. I've been reviewing the Arbjurant Champion, and I'm assuming that they suggested taking it because of the continued increase in caster levels as well as the added effects for Abjuration spells, plus the d10hp doesn't hurt. But I'm wondering if there wouldn't be a different choice as the only Abjuration spells I have (at least without learning new) is Deflect. Granted, that's rather nice to have at the ready, but seems kinda wasted.

Any help tricks or advice is greatly appreciated!

Whammydill
2012-02-13, 10:51 AM
Chronos is compiling a great healing compendium, I suggest you check it out.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231908

However, in the low level game I find a simple 750gp Healing Belt is a great thing to give you some healing options. It gives you 3 charges a day. Spend 1 charge and heal 2d8 hp, 2 charges = 3d8, all 3 charges at once gives you 4d8. It can help in a pinch.

As you level in duskblade you can look into picking up vampiric touch, a 3rd level spell which will give you temporary hitpoints as well as doing damage when you channel it into your weapon. Temporary hitpoints help keep you in the fight.

dextercorvia
2012-02-13, 11:03 AM
Hey folks!

So I have some questions, but I should head this off with a little explaining. I'm a D&Der from years back, been out of the game for 10+ years. Actually, I stopped playing right about the time 3.5 came out. Never did play 3.0 much, as my group back then preferred 2ed. So, my gaming knowledge is not completely blank, but I'm basically having to rel-learn the system.

Now for my questions.

I have a Duskblade I'm playing in a campaign (currently low level, with intent to go epic). The DM had previously possed the question for a good Duskblade build to which I am so far planning to stick to. Being Dub 5/ArC 5/WB1/JPM 9.

The problem I'm having currently is our group really has no healer, and truthfully no decent tank. So I'm getting splattered (granted mostly due to my own mistakes). I'm looking for ways to keep myself up at lower levels. So looking for suggestions or tricks of the trade to keep myself up during combat.

The other thing was questions regarding prestige classes. I've been reviewing the Arbjurant Champion, and I'm assuming that they suggested taking it because of the continued increase in caster levels as well as the added effects for Abjuration spells, plus the d10hp doesn't hurt. But I'm wondering if there wouldn't be a different choice as the only Abjuration spells I have (at least without learning new) is Deflect. Granted, that's rather nice to have at the ready, but seems kinda wasted.

Any help tricks or advice is greatly appreciated!

Your abbreviations -- they are nonstandard.

Abjurant Champion doesn't add a ton to Duskblade, I would definitely wait until after getting Arcane Channeling (full-attacks) before Prestige Classing, or going a different direction altogether much sooner.

Duskblade 20 is perfectly viable in Tier 3 play. It suffers a little from Ihititagainitis, and Myfeatsareallpreselectedoma (Power Attack, Knowledge Devotion, Obtain Familiar, Arcane Strike). But, it still can be fun to play.

I happen to like Duskblade13/Chameleon7, since Chameleon7 gets you double focus (arcane and divine), and lots of great spells for your full attack channeling. You also end up with 16 BAB, so you get your last iterative.

Big Fau
2012-02-13, 01:16 PM
Abjurant Champion doesn't offer all that much for a Duskblade below level 13. It's a great finisher (Duskblade 15/AC 5 is a fine build), but it doesn't offer much in the way of actual advancement. The Duskblade suffers from a low number of long-duration buff spells, so you should make obtaining some of those a priority (Arcane Disciple can get them for you, but you still need to spend spells known).

Duskblades are also a bit of a glass cannon. Is there another spellcaster in the party? Can that caster use Summon Monster/Nature's Ally to help aleviate some of the tank duties? At the lower levels, summoning a Wolf to flank with your Duskblade would do wonders (they'd risk being tripped whenever the Wolf attacks, whereas they risk only taking damage if you hit, thus more enemies would focus on the Wolf than on you).

If there isn't another spellcaster in the party, you're going to need someone to work on battlefield control (which will most likely be you) or buffing.

As for healing, here you go (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1520.0).

Rockshister
2012-02-13, 02:51 PM
Whammydill: Thanks for the link! I do like the idea of the healing belt. Was looking at healing potions in the capsules, but not real sure how that will work. Will give it a good look over! And yeah, I had heard about Vampiric touch, will discuss that with my DM next time.

Dextercorvia: Apologies for the abbreviations, what I was meaning was
Duskblade 5/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Warblade 1/ Jade Phoenix Mage 9

I think they went for the Abjurant Champion for the Quicken/Extend Abjuration spell effects the class gives you. Which would make the deflections longer, should the next attack miss I guess (since the spell only blocks the next attack?). I'm not sure what other Abjuration spells are out there that would benefit me. This is something me and my DM have been discussing.

I get that the class is a glass cannon, and I'm fine with that. Just trying to find ways to extend my life expectancy for a few levels. Still digging through things and reading up in prep for later levels.

Personally I like the idea of the Jade Phoenix Mage, for the Quicken Strike, Empowered Strike, etc. I'm just a little hesitant about it as a new(ish) player. I'll have to read up on the Chameleon though, thanks for the tip there!

Big Fau: Let me correct myself, the party does have 2 possible tanks. One of which the player just isn't interested in filling that roll, the other is trying to... a thief, and no casters besides myself (although I think the thief just multiclassed wizard). I admit, our biggest problem as a group is no use of tactics. Until we can get that situated I need to find a way to keep myself from going out in one to two shots, without removing myself from combat completely.

The DM has been generous enough to give us access to artificer/alchemist/enchanter NPCs for item creation. Providing that we can supply them with mats and such they'll make stuff for us. So I've been searching for items that could be made fairly cheaply (we're not rich yet) and yield some decent benefits. Either in healing, or AC bonus, etc. The two links provided are a great resource! I'll definitely dig through them!

Big Fau
2012-02-13, 03:04 PM
OK, in that case we have to resort to items. Try to pick up these for starters.

Tanglefoot Bags: Quite useful, even with the low save DC. Hitting a flying enemy with these is a very good way to avoid needing to cast the Fly spell. The cantrip Launch Item (Spell Compendium) can be used to turn this into nonlethal artillery (IIRC). And the Rod of Viscid Globs (MiC) can provide 3 free ones/day.

Quaal's Feather Token (Tree): A very potent tool, capable of disrupting most encounters quite nicely (and god help them if you get swallowed while holding one).

Dust of Dryness: While it isn't capable of flooding a dungeon, it is capable of messing up the terrain in a small room.

Nystul's Marvelous Pigments: Create your own terrain, traps, and what have you. Expensive, a pain in the neck to calculate everything, but unparalleled in use.

Wands: A high UMD check is necessary, but there are a handful of spells that don't offer SR and don't require a save. Of those, a few of them are capable BC spells, and very useful.

Your own spells should slowly gear towards BC, although that will be incredibly difficult for you as a Duskblade. Any effects you can find that expand your spell list will help. Spells such as Obscuring Mist (which is a bit weak, but still good) and Solid Fog (which is insanely powerful, but I don't think it is on the Duskblade's list) are a godsend for you.

PS: Your party members sound very inexperienced from a tactical standpoint. It may be worth assuming a leadership role IC and finding a way to get telepathy so you can issue orders quickly and efficiently.

Rockshister
2012-02-13, 05:51 PM
These are great! Very handy tools! Thanks so much for that!

As far as the players, there are 5 of us. 1 is very good and very knowledgeable, another is a good player but D&D isn't his primary game (whitewolf... hisss), and myself (who is relearning the game basically). The other 2 are well.. good folks, but run and gun players so to speak. No one has wanted to step up and take leader yet, and I've kind of been avoiding it since I'm not overly comfortable with the system just yet. I may just have to bite the bullet and do it though. 3 major encounters so far, and 3 times I've landed on my back at the brink of death way to soon do to lack of any tactics.

I love the game dearly, but like most things, when you've been out for a while it's a bit daunting to get caught up to speed!

Gavinfoxx
2012-02-13, 06:01 PM
You should maybe take a look at some of the handbooks for useful items?

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=11066.0
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4400.0
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4854.0
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101

Rockshister
2012-02-13, 06:22 PM
Your abbreviations -- they are nonstandard.
I happen to like Duskblade13/Chameleon7, since Chameleon7 gets you double focus (arcane and divine), and lots of great spells for your full attack channeling. You also end up with 16 BAB, so you get your last iterative.

So in review of this, yes.. I'd love to do this. It'd help our group SO much.. but I can't. My race is Fey'ri, sadly I'm excluded from using Chameleon. :(

Big Fau
2012-02-13, 06:46 PM
It will be best for someone to step forward. Knowledge of the mechanics isn't entirely necessary for tactical leadership, although you sound like you know enough to work with it.

Rockshister
2012-02-13, 07:13 PM
Thanks for that.

Definitely going to sit down with the other guy who knows the game. He's (as I understand it) building his character to be a tank I guess. Trip, keep them penned up, etc. So I think between me and him, we can do some good. Just gotta get the rest to listen!