PDA

View Full Version : Tribes Ascend - Finally shooters are GOOD again.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Volatar
2012-02-13, 10:40 AM
Tribes Ascend is the sequel to the Tribes series from back in the day.

Take a shooter. Now make it science fiction. Now give everyone Jetpacks. Now make everyone fly through the air at 200 miles per hour. Now make every single weapon a projectile. Then make it free to play. You now have Tribes Ascend.

Just recently released, Sign up for free here. (https://account.hirezstudios.com/tribesascend/?referral=1484344) Yes, that is a referral link. It is mutually beneficial though, as we both get an XP bonus when you reach level 6. You don't get this bonus unless you use someones referral link. Don't you like free stuff? :smallwink:

Play. It. Now. It blows every other shooter you have ever played out of the water. I personally can't go back to games like TF2 and CS:S anymore. They are just plain boring now.

Some links to get you started:

Tribes Ascend 101 (http://puu.sh/rdVZ)

Totalbiscut review. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1HCnrU3FT8) Skip to the gameplay though, as everything before that has changed so significantly since he made the video that he made a whole second video detailing said changes. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZXRM4mz2r8)

And some cool videos:

Focus (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcNnU3D5rHc)
"Give me the Flag" - A Fan Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOtuw4qq4gA)
Llama Island (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjyUy5f3VIw)
Go Faster (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c50MpwAQ0QI)
Ascend to Glory (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMQkQ-CeqyU)

GitP player roster - WAY out of date
{table=head]Forum Name|Game Name
Helanna | Helanna
houlio | Houlio
Icedaemon | Icedaemon
iyaerP | DarthLocutus
Pie Guy | Qwazes
Scuzzball | Scuzzball
stabbybelkar | searcher8
Triscuitable | Triscuitable
Volatar | Volatar
Weezer | weezer3989
[/table]

Aricandor
2012-02-13, 12:37 PM
My name is Aric and I approve this message.

Volatar
2012-02-13, 12:45 PM

Do you think I should put together a player list in the OP like the League of Legends thread does?

psilontech
2012-02-13, 01:31 PM
Looks like jolly good fun.

Too bad there is no way in hell my computer can run it unless the minimum system requirements page is lying to me by a huge margin.:smallfrown:

Knaight
2012-02-13, 02:04 PM
It certainly looks like fun - I'd join it in an instant if I were actually half decent at shooters.

Volatar
2012-02-13, 02:33 PM

Too bad there is no way in hell my computer can run it unless the minimum system requirements page is lying to me by a huge margin.:smallfrown:

It seems to be running on the Unreal engine so it may be tweakable with .ini settings.

stabbybelkar
2012-02-13, 03:14 PM
I'm currently downloading the beta now. My username is searcher8 and I hope to see you all in game!

houlio
2012-02-13, 06:05 PM
Downloading as well, my name is Houlio.

Weezer
2012-02-13, 06:15 PM
I've been playing it for a few weeks and it's a great game, by far my favorite shooter in recent memory. It's so bloody fast.Though it is a bit frustrating when a team sets up an impenetrable defense. I despise force fields.

Name is weezer3989, and I think it would be a good idea to put a list up in the OP.

Pie Guy
2012-02-13, 09:04 PM
I'm Qwazes in game. We should all play sometime.

Triscuitable
2012-02-13, 10:25 PM

UE3 requires a measly 56MB video card. Really. That's lowest settings, at a 640x480 resolution, but really, they BOTHERED to make sure everyone could play it.

You can run it. Also...

My name is Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite MMOFPS on the internet.

I've been playing it for a few weeks and it's a great game, by far my favorite shooter in recent memory. It's so bloody fast.Though it is a bit frustrating when a team sets up an impenetrable defense. I despise force fields.

Name is weezer3989, and I think it would be a good idea to put a list up in the OP.

Second. Triscuitable. And don't you forget it.

Partof1
2012-02-13, 10:33 PM
So very much fun, however much my computer and connection struggle with it. I still am not accustomed to the disk shooters that are the standard, but any kill in that game is very satisfying, and I'm starting to get the hang of it.

Volatar
2012-02-13, 10:39 PM
UE3 requires a measly 56MB video card. Really. That's lowest settings, at a 640x480 resolution, but really, they BOTHERED to make sure everyone could play it.

T:A is actually really badly optimized graphically at the moment. They likely will fix that towards the end of beta though.

Also, T:A isn't a MMOFPS. It's just an FPS. Tribes: Universe is the MMOFPS (currently on hold)

Triscuitable
2012-02-13, 10:39 PM
So very much fun, however much my computer and connection struggle with it. I still am not accustomed to the disk shooters that are the standard, but any kill in that game is very satisfying, and I'm starting to get the hang of it.

If you are not holding space from the second you spawn, you will die. If you are not jetpacking off of almost every ledge in combat, you will be killed by a grenade launcher or disc gun. If you are not constantly shooting at your enemies, no matter how fast you're going, YOU. WILL. DIE.

And that's how to not die in Tribes. Also, don't get shot, you will die.

Weezer
2012-02-13, 11:04 PM
If you are not holding space from the second you spawn, you will die.

Sometimes I wonder why they didn't make spacebar turn skiing off, my thumb gets tired holding it down all the time :smalltongue:

psilontech
2012-02-14, 05:09 PM
So, I installed it and I'm genuinely surprised to say that it runs like a charm, the system requirements were lying to me by a fair margin.

Shovah
2012-02-14, 05:14 PM
Sometimes I wonder why they didn't make spacebar turn skiing off, my thumb gets tired holding it down all the time :smalltongue:

I just have my ski set to toggle (on my shift key, iirc) with jetpack on space. Don't know how that'd work for others, but I found it fairly ideal.

Triscuitable
2012-02-14, 07:20 PM
I just have my ski set to toggle (on my shift key, iirc) with jetpack on space. Don't know how that'd work for others, but I found it fairly ideal.

Then how do you have a spare finger to dexterously zoom in? That crucial in big maps, and your pinkie there to zoom is just as. Your index and middle finger need to be on the mouse at all times too. Movement IS Tribes.

psilontech
2012-02-14, 08:07 PM
I've quickly come to the conclusion that I am absolutely terrible at this game.

Disk-thingamajig? Can't properly lead because everyone who isn't me is really good at accelerating and turning during acceleration.

Shotgun? Nobody gets close enough for me to use it properly -- and if they do, I'm soon to be dead.

Soldier assault rifle thing? A lot faster, but just about negligible damage even if I do hit. Unloaded two full magazines into some guy with the vast majority hitting, he didn't really seem to care.

If given a hill, I can get up to speed pretty quickly - I just can't turn worth a damn. Once I lose that momentum, I can never seem to build it back up satisfactorily going downhill (Most likely away from the enemy, hills don't seem to agree with me as to which way I want to go!:smallbiggrin:)

Are there any direct-fire weapons without any real lag time between firing and hitting in the game I could conceivably acquire so that I can hit anything beyond the odd unlucky guy who gets 300 damage?

Triscuitable
2012-02-14, 08:14 PM
Tribes has never had hitscan weapons, just like Battlefield. All projectiles have weight and travel time.

Weezer
2012-02-14, 08:45 PM
Not really, no. There were a few before last patch, but they got rid of them.

Just practice, it's so very different from how any other recent shooter plays that it takes a really long time to get used to hitting people with slow moving projectiles. Took me a bit to get the hang of it and I'm still pretty bad at it. It's *so* satisfying when you actually kill people though.

houlio
2012-02-14, 08:47 PM
If given a hill, I can get up to speed pretty quickly - I just can't turn worth a damn. Once I lose that momentum, I can never seem to build it back up satisfactorily going downhill (Most likely away from the enemy, hills don't seem to agree with me as to which way I want to go!:smallbiggrin:)

I had this problem, but I began getting slightly better today. I find that moving to one side and forward when jet-packing helps me to turn. Else you can just get used to looking and shooting backwards. Like you said too, it's tough to get your initial momentum back, so try not to totally stop and do a 180 in the first place.

Triscuitable
2012-02-14, 10:56 PM
Not really, no. There were a few before last patch, but they got rid of them.

Just practice, it's so very different from how any other recent shooter plays that it takes a really long time to get used to hitting people with slow moving projectiles. Took me a bit to get the hang of it and I'm still pretty bad at it. It's *so* satisfying when you actually kill people though.

The only FPS' I've been playing lately were Crysis (and Warhead) and Battlefield 3. Both of those games have bullet falloff AND bullet velocity. Provided you actually activate "MAXIMUM STRENGTH", then you won't experience falloff, as your Nanosuit adjusts for your sucky aim. But Battlefield? That game is HARSH with falloff. It feels so unrealistic. I mean, bullets have crazy velocity. They're not going to falloff after 500 feet!

Volatar
2012-02-14, 10:59 PM
I've quickly come to the conclusion that I am absolutely terrible at this game.

Disk-thingamajig? Can't properly lead because everyone who isn't me is really good at accelerating and turning during acceleration.

Shotgun? Nobody gets close enough for me to use it properly -- and if they do, I'm soon to be dead.

Soldier assault rifle thing? A lot faster, but just about negligible damage even if I do hit. Unloaded two full magazines into some guy with the vast majority hitting, he didn't really seem to care.

Are there any direct-fire weapons without any real lag time between firing and hitting in the game I could conceivably acquire so that I can hit anything beyond the odd unlucky guy who gets 300 damage?

The only hitscan weapon left in the game is the sniper rifle (which the sentinel class uses). However, I highly recommend that you not bother with it. It is much harder to snipe in this game than others.

Try playing defense with Jugernaught. You get weapons with massive splash damage. Should help you learn projectiles.

Weezer
2012-02-14, 11:12 PM
The only FPS' I've been playing lately were Crysis (and Warhead) and Battlefield 3. Both of those games have bullet falloff AND bullet velocity. Provided you actually activate "MAXIMUM STRENGTH", then you won't experience falloff, as your Nanosuit adjusts for your sucky aim. But Battlefield? That game is HARSH with falloff. It feels so unrealistic. I mean, bullets have crazy velocity. They're not going to falloff after 500 feet!

The thing is that even in games with drop off the projectiles still move really fast, compared to them a spinfuser round is pretty much standing still. This game goes so far in the drop off/large time to target that you can't really compare it to the more 'realistic' bullet physics in other games.

Volatar
2012-02-14, 11:33 PM

:smallconfused: Dude, have you ever actually fired a real sniper rifle?

I have. Bullets drop a suprising amount. In fact, they accelerate downwards at 9.8m/s like every other object on the planet.

Worira
2012-02-14, 11:54 PM
Uh, Crysis doesn't have bullet drop. And if it did, it wouldn't make sense for Strength mode to negate it. It's not like you're holding them up.

Scuzzball
2012-02-14, 11:55 PM
Voltar is right, everything drops at 9.8 m/s/s, no matter how fast it's going sideways.

Also I'm Scuzzball in tribes, and on steam, (And really everywhere, now) poke me on steam if I'm wanted in a game.

Volatar
2012-02-15, 12:05 AM
By the way, here is an (old but still relevant) video on skiing and capping: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lrSVumR7l8

Triscuitable
2012-02-15, 12:10 AM
:smallconfused: Dude, have you ever actually fired a real sniper rifle?

I have. Bullets drop a suprising amount. In fact, they accelerate downwards at 9.8m/s like every other object on the planet.

:smallannoyed: Yeah, I have. Big ones. I've got a .22LR, which is small, but that's for shooting at 500+ feet. Other situations call for .32 and .48 caliber bullets. I fire guns often. But when you fire a .50 cal bullet, that's a big bullet. It's going to take a very powerful gun to fire one of those, and at that point, it's going to be SOARING for a long ways, with insane FP/S.

Going back to such a situation in games, when that hits the foot of someone I was aiming at in a Battlefield match, I get kind of irritated. Yeah, it's justified with lower calibers, but with something as big as a bullet known to bisect people, I'd expect a bit more. "Realism" is a common complaint with BF3. Of course, even bisections are a little over-the-top.

Uh, Crysis doesn't have bullet drop. And if it did, it wouldn't make sense for Strength mode to negate it. It's not like you're holding them up.

Clearly you and I have very different memories of the game. Maybe it factors in at a higher difficulty? Nevermind that, Strength mode DOES affect the weapon handling, adding auto-aim, recoil, and other effects to basically allow for a lock-on effect.

Voltar is right, everything drops at 9.8 m/s/s, no matter how fast it's going sideways.

Also I'm Scuzzball in tribes, and on steam, (And really everywhere, now) poke me on steam if I'm wanted in a game.

See above. Even if something is affected by gravity, forward velocity is still going to factor in. And I mean speed, feet-per-second. When a gun can cover 600f/s, then it should be dropping a meter every 600 feet, not nicking someone's toes, or chewing the dirt as it falls flat of the target.

Worira
2012-02-15, 12:39 AM
Clearly you and I have very different memories of the game. Maybe it factors in at a higher difficulty? Nevermind that, Strength mode DOES affect the weapon handling, adding auto-aim, recoil, and other effects to basically allow for a lock-on effect.

At no difficulty does Crysis have bullet drop. And Strength mode dramatically reduces scope sway and recoil, but does not add any sort of auto-aim or lock-on.

Knaight
2012-02-15, 01:51 AM
Wrong. You're looking only at a fairly small subset of objects on earth. Gravitational field strength is G(m1m2)/r^2, and while r is effectively constant on earth with light projectiles, that breaks down in some cases. In real life, artillery actually needs to account for a shifting gravitational field due to sufficient variance in r. Moreover, provided sufficient mass the acceleration would also change, though the amount of mass needed to be significant relevant to the earth is somewhat beyond human scale.

Storm Bringer
2012-02-15, 02:09 AM
:smallannoyed: Yeah, I have. Big ones. I've got a .22LR, which is small, but that's for shooting at 500+ feet. Other situations call for .32 and .48 caliber bullets. I fire guns often. But when you fire a .50 cal bullet, that's a big bullet. It's going to take a very powerful gun to fire one of those, and at that point, it's going to be SOARING for a long ways, with insane FP/S.

Going back to such a situation in games, when that hits the foot of someone I was aiming at in a Battlefield match, I get kind of irritated. Yeah, it's justified with lower calibers, but with something as big as a bullet known to bisect people, I'd expect a bit more. "Realism" is a common complaint with BF3. Of course, even bisections are a little over-the-top.

See above. Even if something is affected by gravity, forward velocity is still going to factor in. And I mean speed, feet-per-second. When a gun can cover 600f/s, then it should be dropping a meter every 600 feet, not nicking someone's toes, or chewing the dirt as it falls flat of the target.

er... not to fault your maths or anything, but if bullet is travelling 600 Ft/s, then it will drop 9.8 meters in that second, not 1 meter.

actual .50 BMG rounds travel about 850-900 M/s, or 2,800-3,000 Ft/s.

also, remeber that a gun is not a laser, two bullets don't travel exactly the same pather as each other. every weapons shots will fall in a circular area around the point of aim. even sniper rilfes do this. Plus, I'm pretty sure battlefied gives you aiming penalties for being stood up or not braced agianst something. trust me, it's actually quite hard to hit someone 200m away while stood up and in the middle of combat.

Knaight
2012-02-15, 04:15 AM
er... not to fault your maths or anything, but if bullet is travelling 600 Ft/s, then it will drop 9.8 meters in that second, not 1 meter.

It will be traveling at a velocity of 9.8 meters per second downward at the end of that 1 meter, but it was traveling at a velocity at 0 meters at the beginning of that second. Given that we can assume a constant gravitational field, that means that it averages 4.9 meters per second, and has dropped 4.9 meters over the period, not 9.8.

See also:
xf-xi=vit+1/2at^2
xi = 0 m, vi = 0 ms^-1, a = -g, t=1 s, g=9.8 ms^-2
xf = -1/2(9.8)
xf = -4.9
Drop = 4.9 meters.
Though, really, there is no need for that many steps.

Volatar
2012-02-15, 06:33 AM
It will be traveling at a velocity of 9.8 meters per second downward at the end of that 1 meter, but it was traveling at a velocity at 0 meters at the beginning of that second. Given that we can assume a constant gravitational field, that means that it averages 4.9 meters per second, and has dropped 4.9 meters over the period, not 9.8.

See also:
xf-xi=vit+1/2at^2
xf = -1/2(9.8)
xf = -4.9
Drop = 4.9 meters.

So, basically, it should be dropping even more than it is in the game?

4.9 meters is the height of two people.

Volatar
2012-02-15, 09:16 AM
Added a player list to the OP.

Triscuitable
2012-02-15, 01:42 PM

See also:
xf-xi=vit+1/2at^2
xf = -1/2(9.8)
xf = -4.9
Drop = 4.9 meters.

Don't drag math into this! It had everything to do with the conversation!

Volatar
2012-02-15, 02:56 PM
Don't drag math into this! It had everything to do with the conversation!

Math should always be drug in when relevant.

Knaight
2012-02-15, 05:14 PM

More like two and a half people: 2 meters is quite tall, 2.45 meters is exceptionally tall, to the point of being taller than the tallest person alive today.

That said, regarding the drop rate: If it flies at 600 ft/s (200 m/s, also to 1 significant digit), it drops 4.9 meters the first second, which means a 4.9 meter drop total at 600 ft (200 m). Storm Bringer states that it flies closer to 800 m/s, which means that at 200m only 1/4 of a second has elapsed, and the drop is (.25^2)*4.9 meters. Which would be 0.306 meters, rounded to 0.30 so as not to imply having far more accuracy than we actually have.

AgentPaper
2012-02-16, 01:54 AM
Got a random email invite to this, tried it out, looks like fun. I happen to be really bad at it, of course, but I suspect most people playing right now are, so there's that. Any tips for a defensive ninny?

iyaerP
2012-02-16, 06:18 AM
Well I guess since my old thread for this died, I might as well join the new one. I am DarthLocutus in game, you will usually see me as doomy/juggernaut on base defence or pathfinder to cap flags if I feel like it, and as soldier on TDM.

Also, I cannot state how much I am annoyed that in the patch introducing loadout modifications, they decided to make the doombringer's swappable weapon the chaingun (What everyone plays the class for) and not the worthless PoS missile launcher.

A list of general tips and bits of advice for those still learning how to ski and shoot.

1: If you want some nice easy practice, grab pathfinder, got join a rabbit game or twenty. Unless by some miracle you manage to get the flag, all you really have is a nice relaxing practice mode against real people rather than bots, so you can see what they are doing and emulate it, as well as have a meter against which to compare yourself. By the time you can place in top 3 of a rabbit match, you are ready to start flag-capping, you just need to learn the different paths on the maps.

2: Whenever possible, make shots at people midair if you will have reloaded before they land. This is an essential skill, and the mark of a true pro to land them consistantly(I'm not going to pretend that I do, but it is my goal). You may waste a TON of ammo this way, but you won't make the shot if you don't try and take the shot. The reward,

3: Work with your team. As mentioned above, 1 technician, a doombringer and a juggernaut working togeather to guard base is a terrifying force to face for any solo gene-raider or flag capper. Similarly, generator attacks can often be used to pull defenders off of the flag for your friend the pathfinder to make a quick snatch. Once he gets home, if the flag isn't at stand ( a common occurance) toss the flag to one of your heavy buddies who stands around there all day anyway. He has almost 3x your HP, and much bigger guns. This frees you up to go chase down that dirty shazbot who has your flag.

4: Don't try to do everything at once. When you are first starting out, figure out what playstyle you enjoy, and then stick with that until you are able to look on the score chart and realize that you were the mainstay for your team in that role.

5: PUSH THOSE SANDRAKERS OFF OUR WORLD!

That's what I got. Not going to claim to be a mega-gosu pro, but I can usually hold my own. Hopefully that helps you new players out.

Storm Bringer
2012-02-16, 11:21 AM

well...no really, unless your shooting at freaking long ranges.

a bullet may drop ~5 meters in a second, but it'll travel, on average, about 800-900 meters in that same second.

really, if your shooting less than 300 meters with modern weapons, your not that worried about bullet drop for a center of mass shot.

co-imcidently, the majority of modern combat (by which i mean "since 1939") has happened at ranges less than 300m. you shouldn't bne worrying about bulllet dorp in the average game of BF3 unless sniping, in which case leading the targets is a much bigger problem.

Volatar
2012-02-16, 12:08 PM
This game is so awesome that people are already making songs about it. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMQkQ-CeqyU)

Helanna
2012-02-16, 12:58 PM
Ah! How did I miss this thread?! I've been waiting for it for forever. I'm just Helanna in the game.

This game is so awesome that people are already making songs about it. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMQkQ-CeqyU)

This is the best thing.

psilontech
2012-02-16, 02:37 PM
So, I think I've found my niche- Every game mode but TDM.

Rabbit? Kill the guy with the flag and then circle the map at max speed. Won the first time I played the game mode, felt pretty good about myself.

CTF? Juggernaut all day every day. Some speedy little sucker about to pop up and grab the flag? Nope, perfectly timed mortar shell just did 1,000+ damage to the poor bloodstain. Bored of being in the base? Wander into theirs, blow up their generator and start either smacking the people that come in to fix it or start taking out their now inoperable turrets and ****.

F-yeah.

Weezer
2012-02-16, 03:00 PM
So, I think I've found my niche- Every game mode but TDM.

Rabbit? Kill the guy with the flag and then circle the map at max speed. Won the first time I played the game mode, felt pretty good about myself.

CTF? Juggernaut all day every day. Some speedy little sucker about to pop up and grab the flag? Nope, perfectly timed mortar shell just did 1,000+ damage to the poor bloodstain. Bored of being in the base? Wander into theirs, blow up their generator and start either smacking the people that come in to fix it or start taking out their now inoperable turrets and ****.

F-yeah.

So you're my nemisis. I think I despise you without even knowing you :smalltongue:

Cespenar
2012-02-18, 06:41 AM
This is actually pretty fun, like Half Life 1 but on crack. :smallbiggrin:

Also, I seem to have a rather random kill ratio, but that's probably because I've started very recently and still haven't figured out what suits best to my play style.

Triscuitable
2012-02-18, 01:37 PM
Got two keys. Hit me up!

Also have 2 SMNC Beta Passes on Steam.

AgentPaper
2012-02-18, 02:13 PM
Got a key and a friend key myself, but you can get one just from liking them on facebook, so really it's kinda pointless. It's essentially an open beta right now. :smalltongue:

Gourtox
2012-02-18, 02:28 PM
So this has to be the most intense game I think I have ever played. So far I have only tried out the Rabbit and TDM modes, but there's is something about shooting someone going 150(what measurement does this game use?) while going 150 yourself and then swiping the flag that makes this game very exciting.

Volatar
2012-02-18, 02:54 PM
So this has to be the most intense game I think I have ever played. So far I have only tried out the Rabbit and TDM modes, but there's is something about shooting someone going 150(what measurement does this game use?) while going 15 yourself and then swiping the flag that makes this game very exciting.

You should definitely give CTF a play. The Tribes franchise, this game included, is balanced around CTF play.

Triscuitable
2012-02-18, 04:02 PM
(what measurement does this game use?)

Kilometers per hour. Welcome to the metric system. :smallbiggrin:

Gourtox
2012-02-18, 04:36 PM
Kilometers per hour. Welcome to the metric system. :smallbiggrin:

Ah you foreigners and your silly metric system. Logical measurement? Who needs that?

Triscuitable
2012-02-18, 04:53 PM
Ah you foreigners and your silly metric system. Logical measurement? Who needs that?

...I'm from Washington. I use the metric system because it makes sense.

Also, the rules of Asperger's Syndrome, as written by me:

1. Use the metric system.

2. Avoid crowds, listen to metal to blare out idiots spewing noise (double negative).

3. Find a hobby, and you'll find it's impossible not to stick with it. Choose wisely, like your class in System Shock 2.

Volatar
2012-02-18, 04:55 PM
US vs UK happening right now! (http://www.twitch.tv/onemoregametv)

Weezer
2012-02-18, 05:11 PM
US vs UK happening right now! (http://www.twitch.tv/onemoregametv)

I'm watching it now and I'm not convinced of its viability as a spectator esport. It certainly has the high skill ceiling, competitive part down pat, but it seems essentially impossible to follow even half of the action. For instance when both teams have the flag, who do you follow? It's a similar problem I have with watching Quake Live, the game is great in and of itself, but spectating just doesn't work very well.

Volatar
2012-02-18, 05:14 PM
I'm watching it now and I'm not convinced of its viability as a spectator esport. It certainly has the high skill ceiling, competitive part down pat, but it seems essentially impossible to follow even half of the action. For instance when both teams have the flag, who do you follow? It's a similar problem I have with watching Quake Live, the game is great in and of itself, but spectating just doesn't work very well.

I definitely agree with you. No one has figured out how to cast an FPS well yet, even though these guys are pretty darn good.

RTS's, ARTS's, and of course, fighting games are much, much easier to cast and watch.

Weezer
2012-02-18, 05:22 PM
I definitely agree with you. No one has figured out how to cast an FPS well yet, even though these guys are pretty darn good.

RTS's, ARTS's, and of course, fighting games are much, much easier to cast and watch.

I think they're doing a great job with what they've been given, definitely knowledgeable and good at explaining things, and some of the spectator tools they're using are rather clever. That there are hotkeys to snap to each flag, the fastest player, generators, etc is a very intelligent addition. Also if they add a minimap, as they're discussing right now, it could be really useful and allow people to get a sense of the overall trend of the game, which is something that is painfully lacking right now.

I'm looking forward to the day where people figure out to really cast FPS games well. I love watching SC2 and wish I could scratch that same esports itch with some FPS.

psilontech
2012-02-18, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the link, that was a very impressive game. USA won pretty handily!

As for the actual game is concerned, I've unlocked both the Sentinel and the Technician.

Sentinel is sort of interesting, I've done horrible things to a few fast moving Pathfinders on low health as they flee with the flag, but nothing too terribly impressive. While I'm not in love with their weapons (Though the terribly expensive upgraded rifle that doesn't need to charge TF2 Sniper style), I definitely like the equipment. I hate hate HATE Infiltrators and the Sentinel's jammer placed in the genny room certainly hurts them. Claymores near the flag and flag approaches are certainly great, as well.

Technician is fun to play as, I'm certainly enjoying myself. I have a lot more luck with the SMG than the Soldier's assault rifle for some reason (Probably more close-quarters encounters) and strategically placed turrets do a lot of good in my limited experience with them. I haven't pent too much exp upgrading classes, but the ability to have two turrets was too much to pass up and I'm glad I took the gamble.

The intense, burning hate that I feel for the Infiltrator stems almost entirely from playing as a Technician. Invisible little bastards keep blowing up me and my generator, interspersed occasionally with a Jug deciding to make camp for the night in my basement. If I could take any piece of equipment from another class to give to the Tech, it would be the Sent's jammer equipment.

iyaerP
2012-02-18, 07:29 PM
The solution to having a juggernaut set up base in your base is to get a tank and bring it to guard generator.

It may sound silly, but is really quite effective, and almost impossible for the enemy team to dislodge, especially if you have another techie or someone who can repair you without you having to leave tank yourself to do so. Works best on katabatic and bella omega.

psilontech
2012-02-18, 09:26 PM
I'm working towards unlocking the Infiltrator in the near future.

Can they be indefinitely invisible like it seems from my perspective, or is it based on energy like the jetpack?

Volatar
2012-02-18, 09:35 PM
I'm working towards unlocking the Infiltrator in the near future.

Can they be indefinitely invisible like it seems from my perspective, or is it based on energy like the jetpack?

Energy based IIRC, but as a defender by trade, it is far too long. :smalltongue:

Anyways, unlocked Doombringer and am regretting it. Missile launcher needs a shorter lockon time or faster travel speed, preferably the former.

Going for Brute next.

Triscuitable
2012-02-18, 09:42 PM
How's the Raider? Which class should I unlock first? Should I just upgrade a class? What perks to get? Should I purchase any Gold? GAH CHOICES

Gourtox
2012-02-18, 09:50 PM
How's the Raider? Which class should I unlock first? Should I just upgrade a class? What perks to get? Should I purchase any Gold? GAH CHOICES

I got the sentinel first because of you know turrets, but I find my self sticking with the pathfinder which usually nets me a win, first on my team, roughly 10-12 kills, at least one capture, and speeds of OH MY GOODNESS. Most importantly I'm getting used to the projectile speed of the blue disk gun, whatever that is called again.

ShadowFighter15
2012-02-18, 11:48 PM
I got the sentinel first because of you know turrets, but I find my self sticking with the pathfinder which usually nets me a win, first on my team, roughly 10-12 kills, at least one capture, and speeds of OH MY GOODNESS. Most importantly I'm getting used to the projectile speed of the blue disk gun, whatever that is called again.

Spinfusor (or Light Spinfusor in the Pathfinder's case).

Got into the beta about a week ago and finding it awesome. Bought some Gold to get the Soldier's Spinfusor and the Technician. Using the Tech more than anything else, though. I just wish they could get a Spinfusor or something instead of that SMG, but that could be a little overpowered.

AgentPaper
2012-02-18, 11:54 PM
Speaking of the technician, how do you place turrets? Can you place anything other than turrets, and if so, how?

Triscuitable
2012-02-18, 11:55 PM
Speaking of the technician, how do you place turrets? Can you place anything other than turrets, and if so, how?

Have you mashed the numerical keys until you pulled out the tool to deploy the turret?

Worira
2012-02-19, 12:01 AM
Spinfusor (or Light Spinfusor in the Pathfinder's case).

Got into the beta about a week ago and finding it awesome. Bought some Gold to get the Soldier's Spinfusor and the Technician. Using the Tech more than anything else, though. I just wish they could get a Spinfusor or something instead of that SMG, but that could be a little overpowered.

They do get an unlockable Thumper, and it is preposterously powerful.

The Use Pack/Deployable key, which is C by default. You can also unlock motion sensors that essentially act as energy-draining mines that tell you when they go off, which replace your grenades and are used with the grenade key.

psilontech
2012-02-19, 12:01 AM

You can place turrets (one from the beginning, two after a couple of relatively cheap upgrades, ~3k experience total I believe) using the 'c' key by default. You'll get a little translucent turret that pops up and you can place it where you like by pressing the fire key. (Almost identical to TF2's enginner, now that I think of it, same with the Sniper/Sentinel thing too... hmm, odd.)

As far as I know as far as 'other than turrets' is concerned, you can also unlock a motion sensor that you can place as well, but I haven't done anything with it. If memory serves though, it tells you when an enemy passes near it with a tone and drains a little energy from the trespasser. Could be useful for the maps that have a winding hallway before the generator room.

*edit: Damn, ninja'd by mere seconds! :smallbiggrin:

**Second Edit: I forgot to mention the fact that you will have to visit a resupply station to get the materials to build your second turret after deploying the first one (After you purchase the ability to have two, of course!)

iyaerP
2012-02-19, 05:41 AM
Doombringer really is all about the chaingun and the force fields. If you don't like those, then the class prolly isn't for you. But yes, everyone who actually PLAYS as doomy rather than just being on the recieving end of one agrees that the sabre missile launcher is a pile of trash. You will never ever hit a good player with it, and it is of no use in a close quarters fight where you have run out of ammo for the chaingun.

Posca
2012-02-19, 06:30 AM
So I decided to try out this game but I got a problem. When I try to enter my beta key it always says "An exception occured while processing request". I can't seem to activate my beta key. Anyone have any solutions?

ShadowFighter15
2012-02-19, 08:40 AM
They do get an unlockable Thumper, and it is preposterously powerful.

Yeah, didn't notice that until I'd already blown the rest of my Gold on Perks and the Doombringer (which I'm kinda regretting now since I never use the big guy). How's it compare to the Thumper DX? Harder-hitting but slower fire-rate?

AgentPaper
2012-02-19, 12:33 PM
How does gold work in the beta? Do you actually have to pay money for it, or is there a way to get some for free for testing purposes?

psilontech
2012-02-19, 04:33 PM
How does gold work in the beta? Do you actually have to pay money for it, or is there a way to get some for free for testing purposes?

I would like to know this as well. Unless they're planning on wiping once beta is over and done with, it doesn't seem like a terrible idea for them to hand out gold to play with.

Triscuitable
2012-02-19, 04:35 PM
I would like to know this as well. Unless they're planning on wiping once beta is over and done with, it doesn't seem like a terrible idea for them to hand out gold to play with.

I believe items are discounted until the game goes Open Beta/Full Release, but anything bought is kept, XP or Gold.

psilontech
2012-02-19, 05:55 PM
If the items are at a discount right now, I would hate to see how much they are once it leaves beta.

~$10 for the Technician's Thumper, same price for the Infiltrator's Stealth Spinfuser.

Worira
2012-02-19, 06:09 PM
Yeah, didn't notice that until I'd already blown the rest of my Gold on Perks and the Doombringer (which I'm kinda regretting now since I never use the big guy). How's it compare to the Thumper DX? Harder-hitting but slower fire-rate?

It's harder-hitting but... well... that's about it. Technically, it has a slightly higher fire rate, but not noticeably so. Also, more ammo.

Folytopo
2012-02-21, 01:29 AM
So finally got around to playing this and it is awesome. We should all jump on mumble and have some coordination or something.

Cespenar
2012-02-21, 05:16 AM
So, I unlocked Sentinel, gave it a play or three, and it seems like a waste of xp. It's just that hitting stuff with the sniper rifle seems harder than any other FPSs out there, probably because of the speed everyone is traveling with, and the damage is too measly to even care (500 at full charge?). Is it my ineptitude, or have other people trying it experienced similar things?

Also, have anyone unlocked Brute? What it is like?

Volatar
2012-02-21, 12:41 PM
So, I unlocked Sentinel, gave it a play or three, and it seems like a waste of xp. It's just that hitting stuff with the sniper rifle seems harder than any other FPSs out there, probably because of the speed everyone is traveling with, and the damage is too measly to even care (500 at full charge?). Is it my ineptitude, or have other people trying it experienced similar things?

Also, have anyone unlocked Brute? What it is like?

I agree on your sentiments on sentinel. Way too hard to hit things. It's best use is against flag D heavies, and as a frequent heavy player I can tell you that it is useless for that as well. When a sniper shoots at me I just start moving around and ignore his futile plinking.

Currently saving up for Brute. Got 14k of the 18k needed. I'll let you know what I think.

psilontech
2012-02-21, 02:24 PM
The Sentinel is good for four things as far as I can tell from playing him:

1) The sniper rifle as it stands isn't anything too terribly impressive against most opponents, but it comes into its own when dealing with Pathfinders who are jetting away at 200+ km/h with your flag. Base pathfinders have something along the lines of 800 health and generally accrue a significant amount of damage in the process of grabbing the flag (Mines, turrets, defenders, etc.) to the point of a single fully charged shot generally being enough to put them down and allow for chasers to pick up the now bouncing, blood-soaked flag.

2) Claymores. Upgrade this to +1 ammo asap. Place them on the approaches to the flag. Place them on the flag. Place them in the entrances and hallways leading to your generator room. Place them at the park, on the boat, and on the go; Wherever good times are had. (Claymores are a good way of, if not out-right killing flag snatchers, weakening them to the point of being easily picked off with your sniper rifle once they are fast, fleeing and in a predictable arc)

3) Shooting static defenses. While the SR may do '0' damage to all preexisting base defenses (The turrets, radar, generator and the like) it does do damage to those pesky force-fields that your pathfinders keep splatting on, as well as the mines and claymores that they keep blowing up on. Plus, it never hurts to make a technician flee in terror when you shoot him while he was trying to repair a destroyed turret.

4) Using the jammer to screw with those bloody infiltrators. This isn't done nearly enough in my opinion and have only seen it done a few times by anyone who isn't me. The INF loses a decent chunk of his rage-inducing powers when he is clearly visible from the get-go and if I notice that our genny keeps going down due to some invisible, explosive-laden jerk, I'll generally pop over to the hate room and pop down a jammer.

Weezer
2012-02-21, 04:13 PM
The Sentinel is good for four things as far as I can tell from playing him:

1) The sniper rifle as it stands isn't anything too terribly impressive against most opponents, but it comes into its own when dealing with Pathfinders who are jetting away at 200+ km/h with your flag. Base pathfinders have something along the lines of 800 health and generally accrue a significant amount of damage in the process of grabbing the flag (Mines, turrets, defenders, etc.) to the point of a single fully charged shot generally being enough to put them down and allow for chasers to pick up the now bouncing, blood-soaked flag.

This I think is the most valuable thing a sentinel can do. The US vs EU game a few days ago had a player on each team doing this and it was really effective. Pathfinders are almost always severly damaged after they grab the flag, as well as moving really fast, making the sentinel ideal for taking them out quickly.

Triscuitable
2012-02-21, 05:00 PM
This I think is the most valuable thing a sentinel can do. The US vs EU game a few days ago had a player on each team doing this and it was really effective. Pathfinders are almost always severly damaged after they grab the flag, as well as moving really fast, making the sentinel ideal for taking them out quickly.

Perfect. I have enough XP to buy it.

Weezer
2012-02-21, 05:26 PM
Perfect. I have enough XP to buy it.

Though one warning, this is something that seems very hard. You need to get very good at hitting fast moving flag grabbers the first shot, because your second one wont have time to charge before they disappear.

psilontech
2012-02-21, 05:47 PM
Though one warning, this is something that seems very hard. You need to get very good at hitting fast moving flag grabbers the first shot, because your second one wont have time to charge before they disappear.

I have to agree here, sniping is extraordinarily hard in T:A. Not only are targets moving very quickly but given how large the majority of maps are, distance is generally pretty insane. A lot of the time even hitting slow-moving or even stationary players is difficult due to them being limited to four or five pixels, sometimes less.

(A note: I AM running this on minimum settings on a resolution that isn't very high, so your mileage may vary, probably a lot easier on a modern desktop!:smalltongue:)

Volatar
2012-02-21, 06:32 PM
Greth on The Sentinel class (http://www.spinfusor.org/2012/02/19/perpetual-newbdom-the-sentinel/).

Triscuitable
2012-02-21, 06:55 PM
I have to agree here, sniping is extraordinarily hard in T:A. Not only are targets moving very quickly but given how large the majority of maps are, distance is generally pretty insane. A lot of the time even hitting slow-moving or even stationary players is difficult due to them being limited to four or five pixels, sometimes less.

(A note: I AM running this on minimum settings on a resolution that isn't very high, so your mileage may vary, probably a lot easier on a modern desktop!:smalltongue:)

I run it on minimum settings at 1920x1080, so I can get a solid framerate (45-60FPS). I've practiced the meta-games of Call of Duty, i.e., "quickscoping", "dropshooting", and "jump-with-a-shotgun". Crazy stuff like that. I suppose the challenge of a sniper class would be exciting.

Cespenar
2012-02-22, 03:57 AM
I see. If I got this right, Sentinel is more of a niche team-player, where I was foolishly trying to use it to get kills in deathmatch.

Well. Can I get my 7200 xp back? :smalltongue:

Volatar
2012-02-22, 10:13 AM
New patch coming down today!

Patchnotes. (http://hi-rez.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/303)

PC Gamer preview. (http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/02/22/tribes-ascend-entering-open-beta-on-friday-adding-arena-deathmatch-and-new-maps/)

We are now entering Open Beta in 3...2...1...

Maxymiuk
2012-02-22, 11:07 AM
Yeah, from what I've seen, the most useful thing a sentinel can do is drop his claymore right next to his team's flag and then go harass the other team's defenses to make life easier for friendly cappers.

Speaking of flag capping, thank heavens for the Reach perk, cause these days if you don't make your pass slightly above the flag, you're setting off three claymores, two mines, and at least one grenade.

Seriously, is it too much to ask for the juggernaut to land a mortar round on their flag once in a while? We'd all like you a lot more if you did. :smalltongue:

Capt. Ido Nos
2012-02-22, 11:44 PM
Public beta started today! I've heard a lot of folks were having fun with this game, so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/9052/i5e5ac32480125.jpg

psilontech
2012-02-22, 11:58 PM
You've got an empty spoiler tag there, bro.

Weezer
2012-02-22, 11:59 PM

It's like getting caught with your pants down, only worse.

Triscuitable
2012-02-23, 12:05 AM
It's like getting caught with your pants down, only worse.

Only to realize you wore your Gears of War 2 Crimson Omen boxer shorts to school? Yeah, I've been there.

Capt. Ido Nos
2012-02-23, 12:06 AM
You sure? I can see it fine :smallconfused:

Weezer
2012-02-23, 12:10 AM
You sure? I can see it fine :smallconfused:

It's blank for me too, and when I copy/paste the URL it redirects me to funyjunk.com...

Capt. Ido Nos
2012-02-23, 12:18 AM
Well that's annoying! Let me rehost it myself ^^;;

Okay, it should be fixed now. Pretty ironic, actually.

Weezer
2012-02-23, 12:32 AM
Well that's annoying! Let me rehost it myself ^^;;

Okay, it should be fixed now. Pretty ironic, actually.

Ironic indeed. :smallbiggrin:

The game is simple, go as fast as possible and blow people up with explosive weapons. This game is all about momentum, manipulating your direction of motion without losing your momentum and learning how to shoot people when you're both going 200 kph in opposite directions.

Duos
2012-02-23, 12:37 AM

The game is simple, go as fast as possible and blow people up with explosive weapons. This game is all about momentum, manipulating your direction of motion without losing your momentum and learning how to shoot people when you're both going 200 kph in opposite directions.

Don't forget the most important parts:

Pushing the Sandrakers off your planet, and

[VGS]

iyaerP
2012-02-23, 06:15 AM
[vgs]
[vgs]
[vgs]
[vgs]
[vgs]
[vgs]
[vgs]
[vgs]

The end of every SINGLE bloody round, I swear.

Cespenar
2012-02-23, 07:05 AM
There's also completely trouncing the other team and spamming "gg" the second the game ends.

Triscuitable
2012-02-23, 09:54 AM
Shazbot!
Shazbot!
Shazbot!
Shazbot!
Shazbot!
Shazbot!
Shazbot!
Shazbot!
Shazbot!
Shazbot!
Shazbot!
Shazbot!

HOW DO YOU DO IIIIIIIIIT?

Pie Guy
2012-02-23, 11:55 AM
Shazbot!
Shazbot!
Shazbot!
Shazbot!
Shazbot!
Shazbot!
Shazbot!
Shazbot!
Shazbot!
Shazbot!
Shazbot!
Shazbot!

HOW DO YOU DO IIIIIIIIIT?
[vgs]
[vgta]

Press: [v]oice,[g]lobal, [s]hazbot

Capt. Ido Nos
2012-02-23, 12:07 PM

Thankfully, I've got the basics for skiing down pretty quickly. I love these mechanics, unless of course on the (frequent) chance I need to change directions quickly, in which case I kind of flounder around for a few costly seconds and lose the kill. That's where the directing my momentum comes into play, eh?

Shooting and actually *hitting* someone, this is not my finest point. The only way I was able to pull off a reliable kill was to Pathfinder>shotgun a sufficient number of times while chasing someone down. I need a lot of practice with projectiles :S Melee kills are wicked satisfying though.

Don't forget the most important parts:

Pushing the Sandrakers off your planet, and

[VGS]
if that's the command I think it is, thank you SO much for now allowing me to subject everyone to my torment.

Cespenar
2012-02-23, 12:28 PM
Shooting and actually *hitting* someone, this is not my finest point. The only way I was able to pull off a reliable kill was to Pathfinder>shotgun a sufficient number of times while chasing someone down. I need a lot of practice with projectiles :S Melee kills are wicked satisfying though.

Well, it's all about guessing where they are going to land and shoot there beforehand. Easier said than done, of course. And those energy-crazy Pathfinders can always choose to not land at the last moment, so there's that too. But I recommend starting to try the projectile weapons nonetheless. They are, more often than not, where the game lies.

Of course, I only started playing a week ago, so take that with a grain of salt.

Duos
2012-02-23, 12:59 PM
Well, it's all about guessing where they are going to land and shoot there beforehand. Easier said than done, of course. And those energy-crazy Pathfinders can always choose to not land at the last moment, so there's that too. But I recommend starting to try the projectile weapons nonetheless. They are, more often than not, where the game lies.

Of course, I only started playing a week ago, so take that with a grain of salt.

It's true, though. There's, like, two hitscan weapons in the game, and the shotgun and sniper rifle are both really meh. Everything else is projectile based.

The sooner you get the hang of it, the better, because there are very few things more satisfying than planting a spinfusor in somebody's face at 255 km/h.

Except maybe snagging the flag at that speed, but that's a bit trickier.

toasty
2012-02-23, 01:59 PM
So... every time I try to log in it says the Server is unavailable. I don't think it really is... any ideas why this might be happening?

Triscuitable
2012-02-23, 02:43 PM
So... every time I try to log in it says the Server is unavailable. I don't think it really is... any ideas why this might be happening?

Easy, too many people are playing, and the servers can't handle the stress.

Volatar
2012-02-23, 02:52 PM

Servers are up and working. Sounds like a Firewall issue.

otakuryoga
2012-02-23, 02:56 PM
will be downloading it tonight...fond memories of 1 and 2

psilontech
2012-02-23, 03:08 PM
I finally made a flag grab at speeds in excess of 200 km/h!

I was so excited I didn't notice a force-field being erected as I was grabbing, resulting in me going *SPLAT!*:smallbiggrin:

Volatar
2012-02-23, 03:46 PM
Showmatch between PCGamer UK & MMOHut / OnRPG (http://www.levelupyourgame.net/2012/02/23/a-tribesascend-showmatch-between-pcgamer-uk-mmohut-onrpg/) happening in just a few minutes.

Capt. Ido Nos
2012-02-23, 04:01 PM
So, I think I'm just going to bum around as a Pathfinder for a good while until I feel as though I've got my bearings and aim down.

Until then, what upgrades do people typically recommend? I've bought one or two so far, but we're talking the lowest of the low ends, I think an armor or energy increase of some kind and that's it.

Volatar
2012-02-23, 04:23 PM
So, I think I'm just going to bum around as a Pathfinder for a good while until I feel as though I've got my bearings and aim down.

Until then, what upgrades do people typically recommend? I've bought one or two so far, but we're talking the lowest of the low ends, I think an armor or energy increase of some kind and that's it.

Unlock all the classes and then grab some perks. For Pathfinder Egocentric and Reach are hailed as the choice perks.

psilontech
2012-02-23, 04:27 PM
Showmatch between PCGamer UK & MMOHut / OnRPG (http://www.levelupyourgame.net/2012/02/23/a-tribesascend-showmatch-between-pcgamer-uk-mmohut-onrpg/) happening in just a few minutes.

Not surprising in the least, PCGamer is absolutely dominating thus far. Perfect game first round, I'm thinking we'll see another win on drydock.

*Edit: Another perfect match. PCGamer's flag never got more than 100m away from their flag stand. F-Yeah!
*Edit2: Played best two of 3, they decide to go for the third match just for funsies. 3-0 win, 15/0 caps. The end there was a little more exciting given that the MMO Hut guys managed to actually get close to capping.

toasty
2012-02-23, 05:58 PM
Servers are up and working. Sounds like a Firewall issue.

Technically my firewall says it is letting Tribes go. So...

edit: disabling my firewall has no effect. Still have the same error. :smallsigh:

Volatar
2012-02-23, 06:19 PM
Technically my firewall says it is letting Tribes go. So...

edit: disabling my firewall has no effect. Still have the same error. :smallsigh:

Have you checked both your hardware AND software firewalls?

toasty
2012-02-23, 06:56 PM
Have you checked both your hardware AND software firewalls?

I have no clue what that even means. All I know is that I played it once, then it patched, and now its giving me this error. I disabled Windows Firewall, but that didn't work.

Volatar
2012-02-23, 07:28 PM
I have no clue what that even means. All I know is that I played it once, then it patched, and now its giving me this error. I disabled Windows Firewall, but that didn't work.

Oh, that changes things. Sounds like the patch broke something.

Open up the launcher and click the little pair of gears in the upper right corner. Hit Troubleshooting and Diagnostics. Hit Validate/Repair in the lower left corner. Should take between 20-30 minutes.

This should guarantee that that patch didn't corrupt any files.

iyaerP
2012-02-23, 08:11 PM
So, yeah, the new arena mode? HELLA cool. I am sad that they removed rabbit from the public queue, but such is life. First arena game I had I managed a new personal best with 3 blue-plate-specials in just under a minute, resulting in 3 BPSs in one round. :smallbiggrin:

Got two more in subsequent matches, resulting in the highest air-kill densities for the time played i've ever had. The architechture of the maps helps with that somewhat, but I still felt pretty awesome about it.

Also of note, if you get enough money to drop an orbital strike in an arena match, do so. It will cover something like 1/4 of the map.

toasty
2012-02-23, 08:47 PM
Oh, that changes things. Sounds like the patch broke something.

Open up the launcher and click the little pair of gears in the upper right corner. Hit Troubleshooting and Diagnostics. Hit Validate/Repair in the lower left corner. Should take between 20-30 minutes.

This should guarantee that that patch didn't corrupt any files.

Didn't work. :smallfrown: I tried reinstalling as well and that did nothing.

Volatar
2012-02-23, 09:56 PM
Didn't work. :smallfrown: I tried reinstalling as well and that did nothing.

:/ I'm out of thoughts then. File a support ticket.

psilontech
2012-02-24, 08:10 PM
Servers have been showing up as being down since I started trying to play earlier Today.

Anyone else having the same problem? (Other than Toasty of course:smalltongue: (Sorry, Toasty!))

Triscuitable
2012-02-24, 08:53 PM
Infiltrator = SO. MUCH. FUN.

Where's the flag? There? I'm not picking that up! CLAYMORE! CAMP AT POINTY ROCK. SNIPE. :smallbiggrin:

I love this class.

Cespenar
2012-02-25, 03:59 AM
Unlocked Brute. Didn't much like it. It has slightly upgraded versions of Pathfinder's weapons, but on a heavy chassis. Meaning you can't stay at medium-long ranges like the Juggernaut does, but you also don't have the energy to chase the light and medium armored classes.

It probably has its niche like the others, but if there is, I fail to see it.

TechnoScrabble
2012-02-25, 04:39 AM
I just joined a few days ago. I freaking LOVE pathfinder.

iyaerP
2012-02-25, 06:56 AM
Unlocked Brute. Didn't much like it. It has slightly upgraded versions of Pathfinder's weapons, but on a heavy chassis. Meaning you can't stay at medium-long ranges like the Juggernaut does, but you also don't have the energy to chase the light and medium armored classes.

It probably has its niche like the others, but if there is, I fail to see it.

The niche of the brute is the fractal grenade. You throw one inside a base and EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING in an enormous radius DIES.

They nerfed it so that you can no longer use it to 1-shot a generator, as it now does no damage to vehicles and structures, but it is still the best weapon by far for clearing out a base of players.

Even at its worst, you have just denied a 20 meter radius cylinder to the enemy team. I feel bad even telling you about it because of how much I hate it. For all intents and purposes, the brute IS the fractal grenade.

Now go out there and cause some rage-quits.

Cespenar
2012-02-25, 10:07 AM
Funnily enough, fractal grenade was the first good thing I discovered about the Brute, when I unknowingly got two Aftermaths in 5 minutes.

So, the best route with a Brute is to boost fractal grenade and get Safety Third?

psilontech
2012-02-25, 03:54 PM
So, I unlocked the Doom-Bringer. The chaingun isn't anything to sneeze at while clearing out the generator room, but I still stuck pretty heavily at killing things at medium range out in the open.

I kept getting kills without doing anything and was wondering where they came from before I remembered I put a force-field next to the flag. Pathfinders just kept splatting on it, even managed a 'double-kill' only to look over and see two splattered bits of pathfinder corpse sitting next to the still intact flag.

I'm still a little confused when it comes to the mechanics of the missile launcher, though. From my limited use of the weapon, I can only use it on airborne targets who are actively using their jetpack after about a four second lock-on time in which they can't stop using their jetpack, otherwise the lock is lost. When I play pathfinder however, I can't shake the missile lock by stopping the use of my jetpack and inevitably have a missile I just can't shoot down on my tail.

Is there some trick to using this weapon I just haven't figured out yet?

I've also found the only situation in which I do well with the soldier: Arena. This game-mode has also pointed me towards a new-found hatred of the 'P2W' Thumper and the Technician who carries it.

Triscuitable
2012-02-25, 04:01 PM
GamesRadar is giving away Utility Pack keys! (http://www.gamesradar.com/join-tribes-ascend-open-beta-free-soldier-utility-pack/)

They're a game journalism site, and I've been a loyal reader for years. It paid off. You'll need to sign up, but this is a special backpack for the game that has some pretty solid upgrades.

Oh, and you don't need to sign up again. The code you get is redeemable in game. I know this because I tried.

Capt. Ido Nos
2012-02-25, 07:05 PM
I just joined a few days ago. I freaking LOVE pathfinder.
This is exactly me. Pathfinder all day erryday.

dromer
2012-02-25, 11:04 PM
I've played around in this game for a bit and I still come to the same conclusion I did when I was first invited in the first couple of weeks it came out.

Two issues I have with this game:
1) Weapons and some perks are priced WAY too high. I bought the infiltrator, upgraded some stuff, and then realised I had nowhere near the XP to buy the stealth spinfusor. The kick? The Infiltrator's default primary is so rage-inducingly inferior it makes me want to punch out the screen.

2) What is with the physics for the projectiles in this game? For some reason, the last time I checked projectiles inherited 20% of your momentum. This is silly (it's just enough to throw off my aim every time), and it makes chasing the flag-carriers stupidly difficult.

That being said, I'm Dromer, although I don't play much since being killed by a stealth spinfusor or the other unlock weapons makes me want to punch the screen out.

Volatar
2012-02-26, 12:38 AM
Projectiles actually have 50% inheritance, not 20. And that is never going to change. You have to learn it.

Triscuitable
2012-02-26, 02:04 AM
1) Weapons and some perks are priced WAY too high.

Learn to deal with it, dog.

I bought the infiltrator,

It's not a beginner's class, at all. You should have grabbed the Turret guy, or one of the heavy classes. Focus on kills.

upgraded some stuff, and then realised I had nowhere near the XP to buy the stealth spinfusor.

You don't want the Spinfusor to begin with. The sniper rifle is meant to pick off injured flag runners. Playing the Infiltrator in TDM or Arena means certain death.

The kick? The Infiltrator's default primary is so rage-inducingly inferior it makes me want to punch out the screen.

It's meant to be a weapon used against weakened enemies, and by people with twitch reactions.

Your complaints here are unfounded, as you dove right in to a challenging game, where the metagame is already starting to form. In that situtation, getting a class that is for those who have mastered the art of skiing, scoping in, and picking off high-speed headshots is not a good idea.

And now you know! And knowing is 10% of the battle! :smalltongue:

Cespenar
2012-02-26, 03:26 AM
You don't want the Spinfusor to begin with. The sniper rifle is meant to pick off injured flag runners. Playing the Infiltrator in TDM or Arena means certain death.

You're thinking Sentinel. He said he unlocked Infiltrator, whose main is... some kind of SMG, I guess?

Still, your take on Sentinel pretty much is accurate, if it's any consolation. :smallbiggrin:

Elm11
2012-02-26, 03:50 AM
Downloading this now. Iyaerp has talked to me about it before, and having watched some gameplay footage, it seems like Space Marines meets Mariokart, so I can't wait! :smallbiggrin:

Weezer
2012-02-26, 01:52 PM
I've played around in this game for a bit and I still come to the same conclusion I did when I was first invited in the first couple of weeks it came out.

Two issues I have with this game:
1) Weapons and some perks are priced WAY too high. I bought the infiltrator, upgraded some stuff, and then realised I had nowhere near the XP to buy the stealth spinfusor. The kick? The Infiltrator's default primary is so rage-inducingly inferior it makes me want to punch out the screen.

It's a free to play game, things are going to be priced expensively enough in XP that there is an incentive to purchase them rather than earn them. Yeah, it's a bit irritating but the basic loadouts aren't overpowered that much by the upgrades, I get good scores using nothing more than the basic pathfinder loadout, upgraded and with a perk swapped out, none of which are very expensive. Also, infiltrator is for sneaking around and being irritating, not really good at straight up killing things.

2) What is with the physics for the projectiles in this game? For some reason, the last time I checked projectiles inherited 20% of your momentum. This is silly (it's just enough to throw off my aim every time), and it makes chasing the flag-carriers stupidly difficult.

That being said, I'm Dromer, although I don't play much since being killed by a stealth spinfusor or the other unlock weapons makes me want to punch the screen out.

The inheritence is certainly different than any other game but it's perfectly consistent, so just put a bit of effort into it and you'll be able to hit fast moving people more easily. It never gets super easy, but that's a product of two people moving upwards of 150 kph in different directions, aiming in that situation should be hard.

Math_Mage
2012-02-27, 05:19 AM
I'm sad because this game has a really fun concept--FPS with skis and jetpacks--but my computer simply can't run it. So after spending all day installing it, I just uninstalled it after a couple hours of zooming around the map during deathmatches. :smallredface:

Elm11
2012-02-27, 05:25 AM
:smallfrown: No more Beta keys from Gamesradar. That's a royal shame.

I've discovered so far that my calling in TDM is the Juggernaut, while I play best using the soldier in CTF (Ability to hit decently hard and still pursue). Upset that the LMG for the Jugg is a) replacing the weapon I actually like and b) so far above my pay grade. Shazbot!

Icedaemon
2012-02-27, 07:10 AM
I am the Icedaemon, as ever; as everywhere. Got it installed yesterday, have played a time or two, still a total newbie but I think I can handle being an adequate juggernaut on occasion.

Today's highlight: I went to smash the enemy generator, playing as a Juggernaut, on Crossfire. As a newb, I did not find the damn thing (although I did manage to bust their radar and one turret before going inside, so all good, I thought) At that point, their flag reappeared.

I waited a moment - no enemy was in the base, no allies looked to be coming for the flag. Llama power - even with a jugger, the straight route from one base to the other is reasonably fast and I can take the hitsies on the way.

psilontech
2012-02-27, 12:53 PM
I was playing pathfinder in a game where we seemed to be a bit outmatched. I had finally cleared all of the unpleasant things off of the flagstand and was making my final approach to grab the flag, going in excess of 210 km/h.

I announce my intention to grab the flag as I near it, popping off a nitro to get a little extra umph when... a Juggernaut llama grabs the thing and starts waddling towards our base. He was promptly dealt with and I was out of position to grab it once it was dropped.

*sigh*

On a side note, I almost feel as if the experience granted to people being 'credit to team!' isn't what it should be in comparison to people playing the game as TDM. I get six+ high speed grabs and three of the five flag caps with numerous flag defenses and returns and I get a pittance 300-500 experience.
The guy who's wandering around the map in the Beowulf playing with the other guys who don't seem intent on playing CTF ends up with 5x my score.

Just a little frustrating. I know he's serving some sort of purpose, distracting people I guess.

Cespenar
2012-02-27, 01:32 PM
I am the Icedaemon, as ever; as everywhere. Got it installed yesterday, have played a time or two, still a total newbie but I think I can handle being an adequate juggernaut on occasion.

Today's highlight: I went to smash the enemy generator, playing as a Juggernaut, on Crossfire. As a newb, I did not find the damn thing (although I did manage to bust their radar and one turret before going inside, so all good, I thought) At that point, their flag reappeared.

I waited a moment - no enemy was in the base, no allies looked to be coming for the flag. Llama power - even with a jugger, the straight route from one base to the other is reasonably fast and I can take the hitsies on the way.

One obvious thing I realized somewhat late in game: you can shoot at your feet with an area of effect weapon to propel yourself and gain speed. Juggernauts have good HP too, so this becomes rather a preferred mode of travel.

Weezer
2012-02-27, 03:04 PM
One obvious thing I realized somewhat late in game: you can shoot at your feet with an area of effect weapon to propel yourself and gain speed. Juggernauts have good HP too, so this becomes rather a preferred mode of travel.

I do this all the time with nitros as Pathfinder, they're perfect for giving you a nice boost after grabbing the flag.

stabbybelkar
2012-02-27, 03:28 PM
Ok guys, I just unlocked the Technician, I'm wondering, does anyone have any stratigy tips for him that could help me out? Thanks.

psilontech
2012-02-27, 04:21 PM
Upgrade your turrets to the point of being able to have two of them out at the same time asap.

If you have gold, buy the thumper. Gods, I hate the people who use it, this generally being a sign of it being an effective weapon for defending the flag and/or generator room.

Place your turrets to defend:
A) The flag-stand
B) The routes leading up to the flagstand
C) The Genny room.

Upgrade your repair gun, every little bit helps. The sooner you have the generator back up, the sooner your turrets and the Doombringer's forcefields work again.

Repair Doombringer's forcefields, your turrets, the base's turrets and radar.
Doombringer's shields being at full strength if a nice thing to have.

Spend the money you make killing people and defending the flag to upgrade the Generator, base guns, and the radar dish, in those order.

Weezer
2012-02-27, 05:16 PM
From the perspective of a Pathfinder, one key thing that makes a big difference is placing your turrets so they are directly in line with the common grab routes. This makes it easier for them to hit fast moving pathfinders but more importantly it slows them down. When a turret's bullets hit me at exactly the opposite vector as I'm going it's a major inconvenience, often slowing me enough so I get killed by other things even if the turret itself wont kill me.

Worira
2012-02-27, 06:42 PM
Place one turret on either side of the generator, a fair distance apart. Place on motion sensor on each entrance to the generator area, and one on the flagstand. Shoot anyone who trips a motion sensor with your enormously powerful AoE cannon. Replace anything that goes down immediately. Upgrade stuff.

Hope you payed2win, though, otherwise good luck with that strategy.

Triscuitable
2012-02-27, 06:53 PM
Place one turret on either side of the generator, a fair distance apart. Place on motion sensor on each entrance to the generator area, and one on the flagstand. Shoot anyone who trips a motion sensor with your enormously powerful AoE cannon. Replace anything that goes down immediately. Upgrade stuff.

Hope you payed2win, though, otherwise good luck with that strategy.

Paid2Win. And Tribes Ascend is one of the better F2P games I've played, alongside TF2.

Worira
2012-02-27, 06:58 PM
pay'd2win. pay2win'd. paid2won. offeredcurrency2achievevictory.

Triscuitable
2012-02-27, 08:09 PM
pay'd2win. pay2win'd. paid2won. offeredcurrency2achievevictory.

Okay, now you're just being silly. :smallamused:

Besides, the way you view it dictates one thing: You don't like the F2P model, and that's fine. It's quality enough to actually be worth $30 to me, so I have no issue. You, however, enjoy a premium title that you pay a one-time fee, and get your experience out of it. That's fine too.

ObadiahtheSlim
2012-02-28, 09:05 AM
Or just grind up the EXP and unlock it for free. You don't have to pay for power. Paying just gets you the power faster.

Volatar
2012-02-28, 10:18 AM
Man, I swear that I get worse at this game the more I play it. :smalltongue:

Can't hit the broad side of a tank with a Fusion Mortar today.

Cespenar
2012-02-28, 10:56 AM
Man, I swear that I get worse at this game the more I play it. :smalltongue:

Can't hit the broad side of a tank with a Fusion Mortar today.

Mortar is a fickle mistress. I still can't understand if my double kills or absurd misses with it are due to skill or luck.

Icedaemon
2012-02-28, 12:40 PM
Is camping the enemy generator room to kill their repairmen a faux pas? 've been doing that a lot today and feel slighty ********y, but at least I am consistently in the upper half of my team's ranking.

I've found that a heavy cannot be indecisive for even one moment. Either stick in defense and try to murder everything that goes for one's generator/flag or go and smash as much of the enemy base as possible and stick to it. Trying to change directions or stopping to think means no momentum and a heavy with no momentum can barely outrun a tortoise with a bad hip.

I would also like to know if I am the only one who has noticed (and been irked by) the lack of visible entrances for the condos in Drydock. I don't need actual entrances, just a bit of model and texture work stuck onto a building which looks like it might be a door.

Volatar
2012-02-28, 12:49 PM
Is camping the enemy generator room to kill their repairmen a faux pas? 've been doing that a lot today and feel slighty ********y, but at least I am consistently in the upper half of my team's ranking.

As long as half your team isn't camping the enemy generator room then it is totally ok. In fact, in pub games camping the enemy generator room is amazingly effective at pulling their defense off the flag.

Icedaemon
2012-02-28, 12:54 PM
Excellent.

I've got about 8000 XP saved up after buying a few reasonably priced upgrades for the juggernaut. Should I amass enough experience to get raider, which I believe I want, ASAP or ought I switch to engineer for a while and try to master defensive play?

DemonicAngel
2012-02-28, 12:56 PM
You have intrigued me. downloading as we speak. any advice/things I gotta know apart from the 101 in the OP?

just a quick question, if I only have 2 GB or RAM, will I be able to actively play? it seems to be there in the minimum requirements, but I find those to sometimes be a wee bit untrue.

iyaerP
2012-02-28, 02:02 PM
Excellent.

I've got about 8000 XP saved up after buying a few reasonably priced upgrades for the juggernaut. Should I amass enough experience to get raider, which I believe I want, ASAP or ought I switch to engineer for a while and try to master defensive play?

Okay, seeing as I just got raider recently and am not really sure if it was worth it or not, here is the rundown.

Your primary weapon is a triple shot sticky grenade launcher, that does 600 dmg per hit when fully upgraded. While this theoretically means you can do a very swank 1800 dmg in one burst, know that the grenades have a spread on them similar to that of shotgun. You will never hit anything but static defences with all 3. Also, they have a momentary delay between impact and detonation, similar to the jugg's mortar at close range. Unlike the fusion mortar however, you have one of the smallest spash radius weapons there is.

All in all, this adds up to a gun that is very VERY bad at dueling. There may be some magical trick to it that I haven't discovered for myself yet, but generally you have one purpose: destroying static base emplacements. Very good for harassing DMBs playing HoF also, as they tend not to move much.

The alt weapon is a mid strength assault rifle, slightly less good than the soldier's. If you like ARs, then rejoice, because when combined with the raider's packs, this is a very good one.

The grenade is an emp nade, drains enemy suit energy and does about 1k damage. I think that it does extra dmg to base defenses (are you sensing a theme here yet?:smalltongue:), but haven't tested it thoroughly. It has a smaller than normal AoE, so precision is required.

The pack is what makes the class. At an energy drain of 1/second, and absorbing damage at a pretty good ratio, the default pack is the shield pack. If you have full energy, this gives you an effective hp total somewhere around 2000, so less than a heavy, but better than any other medium. Don't expect any miracles from it, but I have had it save my ass quite often. Just don't make the mistake of trying to use it and jet around the room at the same time. Jump to avoid shots, but don't jet. All you will do is have a half-assed maneuver that doesn't get you anywhere, and not enough energy left to absorb any damage.

I run extra capacitor and survivalist as perks. Only do survivalist if you have the energy boos unlocked though, as hp and ammo aren't what you want.

All in all, this is one of the most technically challenging and energy-conscious classes to play, but can be fun if you figure it out. Just don't expect to like it by default. This is NOT a beginner class.

psilontech
2012-02-28, 02:57 PM
just a quick question, if I only have 2 GB or RAM, will I be able to actively play? it seems to be there in the minimum requirements, but I find those to sometimes be a wee bit untrue.

I'm running XP with 1.5 GB RAM, a single core AMD Ath.64 3800+, and an Nvidia GeForce 8800GT and can run it with no problems on minimal settings.

dromer
2012-02-28, 03:57 PM
Or just grind up the EXP and unlock it for free. You don't have to pay for power. Paying just gets you the power faster.

I'll get back to you when I've gotten the 100,000 required for the stealth spinfusor.

DemonicAngel
2012-02-28, 04:13 PM
I'm running XP with 1.5 GB RAM, a single core AMD Ath.64 3800+, and an Nvidia GeForce 8800GT and can run it with no problems on minimal settings.

Thank you. playing on the low settings seems to work fine, didn't try it with any higher.

This game is fun! reminds me of the olden days of Unreal Tournament, jumping around trying not to get hit. only this is much much faster (and more explody).

mostly playing as a pathfinder currently, didn't expermint yet with the others.

psilontech
2012-02-28, 04:25 PM
I'll get back to you when I've gotten the 100,000 required for the stealth spinfusor.

Given my average score (Without VIP or a XP Booster) and the length of games as they generally go, I would say that the thumper or stealth spinfusor being at about fifty hours of play-time to unlock without gold, or about $600 if I had spent the time working instead.

Given that perspective, $10 for the gun isn't that steep.:smalltongue:

Triscuitable
2012-02-28, 08:01 PM

You should upgrade your RAM and CPU. You could do well to add 4.5GB and a Core i7. The 8800 is a superb card, and tou can benefit heavily from more RAM to load textures and data from.

Volatar
2012-02-28, 08:13 PM
You should upgrade your RAM and CPU. You could do well to add 4.5GB and a Core i7. The 8800 is a superb card, and tou can benefit heavily from more RAM to load textures and data from.

He would have to get a whole new motherboard for that, and therefore probably also have to get all new RAM.

So approx $250-300. Not exactly the kind of cash most people would put down if they can still run the games they want to.

His processor is more than adequate for todays needs anyway. More RAM never hurts though.

psilontech
2012-02-28, 11:15 PM
Yeah, upgrading at this point in time isn't really much of an option given that between paying for school, car insurance, gas and a myriad of other things I'm struggling to feed myself.

Believe me, if I could, I would be running something much more recent!:smalltongue:

Partof1
2012-02-28, 11:26 PM
Cool, got 250 free gold from an email/facebook deal. Spent it on the Soldier's Spinfusor. I like it way better than the assault rifle, but I feel so slow coming from pathfinder primarily

Triscuitable
2012-02-29, 12:00 AM
Ditto. What a neat promotion, giving us gold. That's some XP boosters, there. :smallbiggrin:

Duos
2012-02-29, 12:20 AM
Oh boy do I have a story for you guys.

I was on Katabatic, playing Pathfinder (as a dirty sandraker, but the story is still cool enough to tell), zipping around at 300, waiting for my team to clear the eight billion mines and forcefields on the flag stand, when suddenly...

A WILD JUGGERNAUT APPEARS

FFFFFFFFFF

He spots me, starts lobbing mortar rounds in my direction, and starts zeroing in. I can tell he's good, and I kinow that if he gets close enough to spinfusor me I'm toast.

So I change angle, hit the hill to the left side of the Beagle flag stand, shoot nearly straight up, and plant three BEAUTIFUL disks right in his face while he futilely flings explosives past me. Then I get locked on by a missile on the way down. I just barely manage to shoot it down, hit the slope, and zip off towards the flag at max speed.

Then, I see some dope try to llama the flag. He fails, of course, he was going sub-100, but he does manage to trip most of the mines on the stand, and I see a clear avenue.

So I go for it, snap up that flag like it's covered in chocolate, and hightail it out of there with seven very angry people on my tail. But since I'm playing pathfinder, nobody can catch me, and I swoop triumphantly in for the cap.

Elm11
2012-02-29, 02:30 AM
Well, I'm finding myself incresingly infuriated by infiltrators while playing CTF. It's always fun to corner them -somewhere- in a room, then lob in a fusion mortar round, but on the whole they're very frustrating to deal with. Advice? (Keeping in mind that I usually play as a Juggernaut).

iyaerP
2012-02-29, 08:40 AM
Be on the attack. D is for doomys and TCNs primarily.

Jugg is best used for mass person/object clearing, so unless they have piled half their team down into the generator room, you can usually be causing more havok by being in their base rather than yours.

ShadowFighter15
2012-02-29, 08:43 AM
Is camping the enemy generator room to kill their repairmen a faux pas? 've been doing that a lot today and feel slighty ********y, but at least I am consistently in the upper half of my team's ranking.You... Do you have any idea how infuriating that is for us 'repairmen'?! I just fixed that damn thing, I don't want to have to keep going back down into the basement every minute or two because of some smeg-head blowing the generator up again!:smallfurious:

:smalltongue:

*snipped to keep post short*

Damnit - now I'm wanting to start practising with the Pathfinder to try this stuff, but sneaky turret placement is just so satisfying! Temple Ruins, for instance - I've gotten into the habit of placing one turret near the flag, between it and that big ramp leading to the upper balcony, and then another turret on said balcony near the hole for the ramp. If a capper tries to get at the flag by skiing along the balcony and down the ramp, they'll get softened up by my first turret and then ventilated by the second.

How much energy do Motion Sensors drain? I'm tempted to start placing them next to the flag to make it harder for people to jet away after making the grab.

Volatar
2012-02-29, 08:50 AM

I was on Katabatic, playing Pathfinder (as a dirty sandraker, but the story is still cool enough to tell), zipping around at 300, waiting for my team to clear the eight billion mines and forcefields on the flag stand, when suddenly...

A WILD JUGGERNAUT APPEARS

FFFFFFFFFF

He spots me, starts lobbing mortar rounds in my direction, and starts zeroing in. I can tell he's good, and I kinow that if he gets close enough to spinfusor me I'm toast.

So I change angle, hit the hill to the left side of the Beagle flag stand, shoot nearly straight up, and plant three BEAUTIFUL disks right in his face while he futilely flings explosives past me. Then I get locked on by a missile on the way down. I just barely manage to shoot it down, hit the slope, and zip off towards the flag at max speed.

Then, I see some dope try to llama the flag. He fails, of course, he was going sub-100, but he does manage to trip most of the mines on the stand, and I see a clear avenue.

So I go for it, snap up that flag like it's covered in chocolate, and hightail it out of there with seven very angry people on my tail. But since I'm playing pathfinder, nobody can catch me, and I swoop triumphantly in for the cap.

You now understand the thrill of Tribes my friend.

Duos
2012-02-29, 12:05 PM
To be fair, I already knew how awesome Tribes is. It's just that usually, my stories go like this:

Flag looks clear

Go in for the grab

Catch spinfusor with my face at 250 sanics

[VGS]

Cespenar
2012-02-29, 12:39 PM
To be fair, I already knew how awesome Tribes is. It's just that usually, my stories go like this:

Flag looks clear

Go in for the grab

Catch spinfusor with my face at 250 sanics

[VGS]

I lol'd at "flag looks clear". :smalltongue:

Helanna
2012-02-29, 12:53 PM
Question: Does anyone else have an occasional problem where you try to fire, there's a moment of lag, and then you get teleported to where your shot is detonating? Is this the fault of the server or my computer?

It doesn't happen a lot, but nothing's more annoying than when you have the perfect shot on someone, but then you accidentally end up committing suicide instead.

Triscuitable
2012-02-29, 12:55 PM
So my 240 gold went into a shiny new weapon for my soldier. :smallbiggrin:

Icedaemon
2012-02-29, 01:04 PM
You... Do you have any idea how infuriating that is for us 'repairmen'?! I just fixed that damn thing, I don't want to have to keep going back down into the basement every minute or two because of some smeg-head blowing the generator up again!:smallfurious:

Given how I took iyaerP's advice and bought a Mr Fixit type myself, I can understand that, though I for one find infiltrators the worst foes to face, especially if the generator is down so any motion sensors, if an another engineer has placed one, are useless.

Also, is it just me, or are there several 'brackets' of servers? I've played on the EU the entire time, obviously, but at a point yesterday after I had had a good streak I was suddenly playing in matches where everyone knew what they were doing and had generally spent some funds on a thing or two, or were high-ranked enough to have unlocked most things anyway. Since matches still vary widely (some even, some heavily slanted in one or the other team's favour) I am assuming there is a third bracket for the people who have mastered their class(es) of choice.

Duos
2012-02-29, 01:06 PM
I lol'd at "flag looks clear". :smalltongue:

If I had a dollar for every time there was a DMB behind a wall that I couldn't see, I'd have enough money to unlock everything in the game. I really should wait until they Gen room party gets going and pulls all the morons off the flag stand, but I'm impatient. And I need to remember to shoot the flag stand out of habit so this doesn't happen:

Go in for cap

Cloaked INF with superheavy was sitting on the flag

Lose all sanics

die messily

[VGS]

psilontech
2012-02-29, 01:33 PM
Cloaked INF with superheavy was sitting on the flag
[VGS]

I've... never thought of doing that before.

Too bad everyone playing pathfinder above rank 10 shoots the flagstand before trying to cap, though.

iyaerP
2012-02-29, 02:45 PM
So my thing of the past couple days has been messing around with the vehicles to the exclusion of almost all else. If I am not driving a vehicle, I am attacking the enemy base to earn enough to buy a new vehicle.

My impressions:

The tank is a tank. It shoots hard, its hella tough, you will more often than not recoup your cost unless you suicide it into a pack of juggs or something.

The bike is... tricky. The gun on it is something of a joke, each shot of an 8 round burst that usually gets spread to kingdom-come does only 150 damage. This, as you may gather is rather underwhelming. Combine that with a capped speed at far less than what a good pathfinder can do, rather than a skiing-like physics implementation, and you won't be running many lights down. You can still outrun slow mediums or most any heavy, but this isn't the bike from they heydays of yore when you could boast double the speed of any player. There is one thing that I think will be good, but is going to take me teaming up with someone rather than just playing pubs, and that is what I like to think of as "drive by fusion mortar". It is of course, exactly what it sounds like. Some dude on a bike, and a heavy in the backseat providing fire support. Weather or not this will be more effective than just two roaming players remains to be seen.

The shrike, I suck with. No two ways about it. Best I have ever managed was a life where I splattered a flag-runner all the way across the ice fields of katabatic, and the time when I crashed my almost dead shrike into a tank to kill us both. I'm not the player to give instructions here. All I can say is that I need more practice, and that doing so isn't exactly easy given how bloody expensive those things are. Also, unlike the other two, all but impossible to repair because of how hard it is to land, and how even the weakest collision with the ground is instantly lethal.

Partysan
2012-02-29, 02:58 PM
Having to play with a touchpad, this game proves to be somewhat challenging.
It's fun, though.

DemonicAngel
2012-02-29, 03:28 PM
So I used the gold I got from the facebook thing to buy myself a crossbow on pathfinder. gotta say, I'm liking it so far. hits much harder then the spinfusor, or just that I suck using it.

slowly building up my skills. finalyl able to go at about 200 km/h most of the time, which is fun. still need to improve upon myself, offcourse.

Cespenar
2012-02-29, 03:54 PM
How's the Eagle Pistol? Anyone trying it?

Triscuitable
2012-02-29, 05:39 PM

If you played the game's closed beta, you may remember the old Soldier class. The current Soldier is the old Ranger, and the old Soldier was equipped with the Spinfusor and Eagle Pistol.

The Eagle Pistol SUCKED. :smallfurious: Accurate, but small clip, tiny clip, almost no ammo reserves, and required high speed headshots with a class that couldn't headshot at high speed unless you were up against a heavy class. There were five worthless heavy classes.

Volatar
2012-02-29, 06:39 PM

Picked it up with my free 250 gold. Since I had already unlocked the spinfuser the thumper was rather redundant. The pistol seems to work pretty well as a replacement.

iyaerP
2012-02-29, 08:18 PM
Eagle pistol is useful because it is hitscan, so you can finish off a flagrunner at very low hp or something like that, but I just use the thumper as a secondary because 1: I could easily spend that XP elsewhere, and 2: being able to quick-switch between two splash projectiles provides greater burst damage capability for close quarters combat.

Worira
2012-03-01, 02:25 AM
If you played the game's closed beta, you may remember the old Soldier class. The current Soldier is the old Ranger, and the old Soldier was equipped with the Spinfusor and Eagle Pistol.

The Eagle Pistol SUCKED. :smallfurious: Accurate, but small clip, tiny clip, almost no ammo reserves, and required high speed headshots with a class that couldn't headshot at high speed unless you were up against a heavy class. There were five worthless heavy classes.

Headshots don't do bonus damage in T:A, ever. And the Eagle is quite inaccurate.

psilontech
2012-03-01, 02:46 AM
Bought the Spinfusor for the Soldier with my facebook gold and I'm having a pretty good time with it.

Largely ignored the class outside of the occasional arena match, but the XP is pretty damn good with the class on occasion. Had my first triple-kill (2x, actually) ever in the game with the class clearing out my generator room on the ice map without the forcefields while the genny is up.

The generator was down and swarming with multiple INFs and a single Brute. I got caught in a disco-ball courtesy of the brute so I decide to just let loose with the grenades and started firing blindly down the corridor. Splash-damaged three guys with the Spinfusor, with the subsequent grenades taking the rest out.

I restock on their burnt corpses only to quickly find even more guys camping the area - half of their freaking team was down here! Rinse and repeat, second triple-kill. F-Yeah!

Cespenar
2012-03-01, 06:04 AM
Meh. Ended up buying Potential Energy for my Juggernaut with that gold. Instantly it feels like I made another bad choice.

iyaerP
2012-03-01, 06:36 AM
I have survivalist on every class except doombringer (who has super heavy), and can't even contemplate using anything else in that slot.

Slot one is mostly bounty hunter, although my raider has an extra capacitor for MOAR SHIELDS!

Elm11
2012-03-01, 07:39 AM
Well, I lashed out and bought myself a little gold with some (not so) hard earned cash, and I've bought and upgraded the technician. With the submachine gun, he's fairly average, but with the thumper he's a blast (pun very much intended). The turrets seem fairly poor, unless they're both firing at once, and I'm consistantly amazed at how many enemies seem to get their kicks out of assaulting our generator. While I can handle most of them, I'm at a loss as to how to deal with infiltrators (other than liberal application of ordnance).

Any suggestions?

Also, I can now confidently say that the technician is appalling at TDM, but that was obvious to begin with.

Icedaemon
2012-03-01, 08:35 AM
A pro infiltrator seems nigh-invincible unless a doombringer is spraying minigun fire throughout the room. Even then, some have escaped. I myself am tempted to try and go for an infiltrator actually, since as a tech I am subpar at flag defense. However, the expensiveness of the stealth spinfusor holds me back from that. Probably going raider and spending my facebook gold on a jammer pack, so that I can occasionally flush out infiltrators.

Volatar
2012-03-01, 09:43 AM
I have no problems dealing with Infiltrators as a soldier. I am pretty good at spotting their pseudo invisible shape and predicting their movement even when I can't see them. I actually got accused of cheating by one once.

Triscuitable
2012-03-01, 10:03 AM
I have no problems dealing with Infiltrators as a soldier. I am pretty good at spotting their pseudo invisible shape and predicting their movement even when I can't see them. I actually got accused of cheating by one once.

I did too, so I shot him again. Stupid kid kept going to the same spot on the map!

Icedaemon
2012-03-01, 10:58 AM
I did too, so I shot him again. Stupid kid kept going to the same spot on the map!

I did specify 'pro infiltrator'. Plenty of kids' first attempts to play infiltrator are easy to stop for just about everyone, my own machinegun-toting tech included. However, skilled infiltrators on maps with lots of hiding spots in a base such as Drydock tend to always hole up somewhere no-one checks (or possibly dash to a checked part of the compound when there is an opportunity).

Capt. Ido Nos
2012-03-01, 03:31 PM
I have decided to hedge my bets and focus entirely on being good at Pathfinder, and even then just doing most of my work as a flagmonkey on ctf. I'll worry about being effective with my spinfuser later, but until then I am having a blast becoming proficient at skiing. I nearly broke 230 km/hr yesterday, and 200+ flag grabs are a thing of beauty. Upgrades to the Reach perk, that's been serving me well, I think?

I have also learned to [VGTG] after everything that happens. I find it endears me to the other team.

Cespenar
2012-03-01, 04:16 PM
I have also learned to [VGTG] after everything that happens. I find it endears me to the other team.

The key is to [VGTG] repeatedly.

Duos
2012-03-01, 04:33 PM
I prefer [VGTG], quickly followed by [VGS].

"I am the shazbot!" gets funnier every time i hear it.

Cespenar
2012-03-01, 05:05 PM
I prefer [VGTG], quickly followed by [VGS].

"I am the shazbot!" gets funnier every time i hear it.

Well, the beauty of the game is that everyone can find their own niche.

psilontech
2012-03-01, 06:14 PM
Oh Shazbot! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q2EtUe1_NE&feature=related)

Zeful
2012-03-01, 06:22 PM
Tried it. Didn't like it. Far too complex and requiring of twitch play to be a worthwhile investment for someone who sucks at shooters to bother with.

Icedaemon
2012-03-01, 07:14 PM
Is it just me or is Doombringer more vital than Technician? An excellent technician or two can usually lock down a generator room, while an excellent Doombringer or two can lock down a flag and the latter is far more important. Sure, I can chase down flag cappers if I am in the right place at the right time better than a Doombringer can, but deterring them? Unlikely.

Weezer
2012-03-01, 08:42 PM
Is it just me or is Doombringer more vital than Technician? An excellent technician or two can usually lock down a generator room, while an excellent Doombringer or two can lock down a flag and the latter is far more important. Sure, I can chase down flag cappers if I am in the right place at the right time better than a Doombringer can, but deterring them? Unlikely.

This is definitely true. 2 good Doombringers make a single person grab very, very hard, you need someone to clear off all the mines/forcefields first or get the generator, either works.

iyaerP
2012-03-01, 09:34 PM
This is definitely true. 2 good Doombringers make a single person grab very, very hard, you need someone to clear off all the mines/forcefields first or get the generator, either works.

TWO? HA! I do it by myself more often than not. I had a game on temple ruins the other day where I got like 6-7 kills of people just running into me at 200+ kph trying to flaggrab and just dieing from impact. Superheavy is VITAL for HoF, because with it, you don't even need to have a shield up to kill people. Them running into you does it for you more often than not, and you are very hard to dislodge with anything less than a tank, tac strike or fusion mortar.

Only times flag got grabbed was when I was clearing out our generator room for the techies to repair it, and then once when 2 enemy jugs teamed up with pathfinder for a grab.

We won of course, but I still find it amusing that I kept getting kills from what amounted to failed kamikaze runs.

In other news, scientific testing of the grav bike revealed that as far as I can determine, it is infact incapable of jumping over the volcano in the center of that map. You can get at best halfway across the lava before landing (you don't fall in if you hit it level due to hover), but I wasn't able to get further than that.

Weezer
2012-03-01, 10:08 PM
TWO? HA! I do it by myself more often than not. I had a game on temple ruins the other day where I got like 6-7 kills of people just running into me at 200+ kph trying to flaggrab and just dieing from impact. Superheavy is VITAL for HoF, because with it, you don't even need to have a shield up to kill people. Them running into you does it for you more often than not, and you are very hard to dislodge with anything less than a tank, tac strike or fusion mortar.

Only times flag got grabbed was when I was clearing out our generator room for the techies to repair it, and then once when 2 enemy jugs teamed up with pathfinder for a grab.

We won of course, but I still find it amusing that I kept getting kills from what amounted to failed kamikaze runs.

In other news, scientific testing of the grav bike revealed that as far as I can determine, it is infact incapable of jumping over the volcano in the center of that map. You can get at best halfway across the lava before landing (you don't fall in if you hit it level due to hover), but I wasn't able to get further than that.

A rather extreme example of what I was thinking about, but yes, accurate. Though I'm surprised a pathfinder with reach didn't grab the flag by zooming close by you without actually hitting you.

iyaerP
2012-03-01, 10:44 PM
I don't think that reach increases their grab-box to be larger than our combined hitboxes, but am unsure. This would require testing.

Whats more of an issue is pathfinders smart enough to impact nitron me off the flag right as they come in for their grab. Because even with super heavy, impact nitrons have strong enough knockback to push you off to the point where a high speed grab is possible.

Weezer
2012-03-01, 11:21 PM
I don't think that reach increases their grab-box to be larger than our combined hitboxes, but am unsure. This would require testing.

Whats more of an issue is pathfinders smart enough to impact nitron me off the flag right as they come in for their grab. Because even with super heavy, impact nitrons have strong enough knockback to push you off to the point where a high speed grab is possible.

I'm almost certain that I've grabbed the flag when someone was standing right on it, but I'd have to test it to be entirely sure. I think it has been easiest when barely skimming over the head of the flag guard.

Volatar
2012-03-01, 11:44 PM

Indeed. Currently I am saving up the XP to buy the Superheavy perk so that I can begin to actually play HoF. Without it it is pretty much impossible.

iyaerP
2012-03-02, 12:44 AM
Indeed. Currently I am saving up the XP to buy the Superheavy perk so that I can begin to actually play HoF. Without it it is pretty much impossible.

Truth.

I'm almost certain that I've grabbed the flag when someone was standing right on it, but I'd have to test it to be entirely sure. I think it has been easiest when barely skimming over the head of the flag guard.

Now that you mention it and I think about it, I am fairly certain that this has happened to me before. Again, something that will require testing.

Worira
2012-03-02, 02:39 AM
Yes, the flag hitbox does extend a little over the head of a heavy even without Reach.

ShadowFighter15
2012-03-02, 08:09 AM
Easy way to fix that is, if you see the guy headed for the flag and you're going to body block, jump about a foot or two off the ground just before he reaches it. You'll be too high for him to grab the flag over your head, but too low for him to just go under you.

Icedaemon
2012-03-02, 08:33 AM
This is wonderful! We win a match 5-1 where my turrets in the generator room combined with my own mostly staying outside to help chase cappers nets me 3rd best position but when the XP calculus is about to begin, connection is lost. I've still got net access, just the server goes down.

I am slowly getting better at tech and raider though. I think my niche, for the now at least, will be defensive tech who switches over to jammer-raider when the enemy takes control of our generator room or when we have a tech-heavy team. Jammer just makes more sense than shield to me - with the shield I am not going to jump as much and get explosives spammed into my face for the trouble.

Is this a bug: In the aftermath screens, the game calculates my XP as if I had a booster (I don't). However, only the correct amount is actually added to my XP - it's as if the calculus was showing me 'this is what you'd get if you would pay for an XP booster'.

Zeful
2012-03-02, 04:59 PM
Is this a bug: In the aftermath screens, the game calculates my XP as if I had a booster (I don't). However, only the correct amount is actually added to my XP - it's as if the calculus was showing me 'this is what you'd get if you would pay for an XP booster'.

Not a bug, it's supposed to show you how much you would be getting if you had a booster, to get you to buy a booster.

Volatar
2012-03-02, 07:10 PM
This is wonderful! We win a match 5-1 where my turrets in the generator room combined with my own mostly staying outside to help chase cappers nets me 3rd best position but when the XP calculus is about to begin, connection is lost. I've still got net access, just the server goes down.

It should have awarded you the XP for that match anyways.

Elm11
2012-03-02, 07:18 PM
Well, much like Icedaemon, I've fallen in love with the Technician and the raider. The technician, armed with the (hilariously effective) thumper, is a heap of fun (especially where turret spam gets involved) and the raider is hilarious. The moment when you stick a trio of grenades to some poor sod and watch him jump around pointlessly for a second or two... priceless.

Icedaemon
2012-03-03, 03:54 AM
I actually still use the machine pistol in case I am in position to chase down a capper as a tech. Today I've played Raider more, simply because there usually are 2-3 people playing tech already. Llama grabbing and getting away with it because turrets and Doombringer missiles cannot target me while I'm jamming is viable. Shield pack? Pfft, who needs that?

Volatar: Did it? I am not sure, but I'll take your word for it.

Not a bug, it's supposed to show you how much you would be getting if you had a booster, to get you to buy a booster.

The thing is, I did not understand that and was confused why my XP was going up much slower than it should for the first couple of days. If they showed both the 'real' and the 'maximal possible' totals, I'd be fine with it.

Volatar
2012-03-03, 09:43 AM
Volatar: Did it? I am not sure, but I'll take your word for it.

I said should for a reason. I am not sure either. It is still a beta. If you leave a game you normally do get the XP (when the match concludes).

psilontech
2012-03-04, 10:34 PM
So, I've finally done something slightly impressive with the Juggernaut.

It was late-game and the vast majority of the enemy team was playing defense. I go JUG to clear off the ridiculous amount of crap off of the flagstand and just as I do friendly PTH comes flying out of nowhere to grab the flag.

I look over to him and see no less than eleven or twelve enemy units in a huge clump chasing his sorry ass towards our base.

Heavily concentrated enemies moving in an easily predictable path? Check!
Fusion Mortar? Check!

*Artillery X2*
*Triple Kill*
*Artillery*
*Double-Kill*
*Artillery*

Racked up about seven kills in very short order, I was quite pleased with myself, especially as my bull****ting allowed for the flag-carrier to get to base and win the game for us.

Volatar
2012-03-05, 11:51 AM
It's Patch Day!

Patchnotes:

Tribes Beta Version 0.1.809.0 Patch Notes

SERVER DOWNTIME: The Tribes Servers are expected to be down for a number of hours on MONDAY, MARCH 5, 2012 while the patch is deployed. Watch the Server Status on the game loader for the latest availability information.

IN ADDITION, we expect to do several server restarts on MONDAY MARCH 5 as we stress test some elements of the game. Thanks in advance for your patience.
Major Highlights

Badges are now awarded as you achieve certain milestones inside of the game. Each badge has multiple ranks (Bronze, Silver, Gold, Obisidian). You earn bonus XP each time you rank up a badge. You may view available and earned badges, as well as accolades and general stats, through the PROFILE menu broken down by subsections. Note that this system is still a work in progress, and some items are not yet fully complete. In addition, some bugs and issues should be expected.
Two new perks have been added (see below for more).
A new Team Deathmatch map has been added (Outskirts).

Weapon/Balance Items

Mirv Launcher and Mortar Launcher now use standard 50% projectile inheritance.
Two new perks have been added - Rage and Sonic Punch.
Rage is a defensive Perk that, fully unlocked, increases energy regeneration for a limited time and provides a 25% heal if nearby your flag when an enemy grabs it.
Sonic Punch, fully unlocked, creates a shock wave with each melee swing that pushes back nearby players, and can force a flag fumble.

Additional Items

Fixed many scenarios where weapons could “dry fire.” This fix improves instances where the weapon would appear to fire but no projectile would spawn, improves instances where the weapon could falsely reload, and improves scenarios where a deployable would not properly deploy, even though it appears valid on the player’s client.
Arena Gamemode
Arena now unlocks as a playable mode at Level 8.
Fixed issue where players would spawn as the Soldier class upon first joining an Arena Deathmatch.
Credit count resets after each new round in Arena Deathmatch (the total number of reported credits earned for the lifetime of the match is retained, however).
To better indicate a player is in a warm-up round, the game goes grayscale during this period.
The overhead caret for the last man standing on a team is now always visible to other players.
Players who are benched during the finale of a round will no longer AFK timeout if the finale lasts more than three minutes.
When a player runs out of respawns, the text next to the death counter now says, “Out of Respawns” and when the timer expires it says, “Fire to Spectate”
The distance from the reticule to see the health and nameplates of other players and objectives is more lenient, especially when zoomed.
CTF Temple Ruins has been removed from the public queue pending technical and design improvements.
CTF Bella Omega has been removed from the public queue pending design improvements.
Fixed many bugs on the Player and Team Summary Scenes
The “Acquired” pop-up has been improved.
The HUD animations for accolades and badges has been improved.
Fixed a bug where a player could ski through an inventory station and be propelled out.
Fixed a bug where the player could get in a situation where they would not properly attach to a vehicle station.
Fixed the “missing font” log spam.
Fixed a bug where you could click the “Boost” button from the Player Summary even when that button is invisible.
Fixed issues where players were not being AFK kicked in situations where they were the only one in the match and at the initial team-select screen.
The in-match class quick select screen no longer overrides the post process effects for the map.
Added proper animations to the Heavy when driving or riding on a Grav Cycle.
Fixed a bug where ammo pickups were floating in the air or continuously bouncing.
Fixed an issue where bForceStaticTerrain stopped working in the previous patch.
Fixed an issue where users were losing their weapons when spawning a vehicle and then immediately using an inventory station.
Fixed an issue where players were able to call-in a Supply Drop on their own head.
Fixed an issue where turret holograms were not properly disappearing after using an inventory station.
Fixed an issue where sticky projectiles on the generator were not damaging nearby players.
Fixed an issue where users were able to stay perpetually hidden from turrets by rapidly enabling and disabling stealth.
Fixed an issue where the Soldier’s Utility Pack was not functioning for many players.
Added improved collision to base turrets and base radar sensors.
Fixed an issue where motion sensors destroyed by enemies were not triggering.
Lava on Inferno TDM will now cause damage when touched, but currently will not show players on fire after contact.
Fixed an issue where players were able to get over the boundary wall on Inferno. Also fixed collision issues on the ceiling in the central tunnel.
Lava Arena has been refitted with a custom art set.
VGS and Team Announcer volume settings are now properly working.
Base Turrets and Base Radar Sensors now have new collision, this will make them easier to hit and repair.
Fixed an issue where 1P overlay effects on the weapon and arms would not be playing even when the effect was active, i.e. health regeneration, stealth, jammer, etc.
Fixed an issue where Shrikes were taking double or more damage from light turrets.
Fixed an issue where certain sounds were not stopping when the player died.
Fixed an issue where the Infiltrator’s Stealth Spinfusor was not doing extra damage to armored.
Rank names have been adjusted to match new iconsx.

Known Issues

Lava pain volumes in Inferno TDM will not show any fire particle effects.
Roaming a map can occasionally lead to a crash. The fix is under investigation.
The new gray-scale effect that shows up during a warm-up round in Arena Deathmatch does not affect users with low video card settings.
Pathfinder’s Light Assault Rifle allows for constant repeated bursts of fire in training areas if the player holds down the fire button. This issue will be fixed in a subsequent patch.

dromer
2012-03-05, 07:22 PM
It's Patch Day!

Patchnotes:

Tribes Beta Version 0.1.809.0 Patch Notes

SERVER DOWNTIME: The Tribes Servers are expected to be down for a number of hours on MONDAY, MARCH 5, 2012 while the patch is deployed. Watch the Server Status on the game loader for the latest availability information.

IN ADDITION, we expect to do several server restarts on MONDAY MARCH 5 as we stress test some elements of the game. Thanks in advance for your patience.
Major Highlights

Badges are now awarded as you achieve certain milestones inside of the game. Each badge has multiple ranks (Bronze, Silver, Gold, Obisidian). You earn bonus XP each time you rank up a badge. You may view available and earned badges, as well as accolades and general stats, through the PROFILE menu broken down by subsections. Note that this system is still a work in progress, and some items are not yet fully complete. In addition, some bugs and issues should be expected.
Two new perks have been added (see below for more).
A new Team Deathmatch map has been added (Outskirts).

Weapon/Balance Items

Mirv Launcher and Mortar Launcher now use standard 50% projectile inheritance.
Two new perks have been added - Rage and Sonic Punch.
Rage is a defensive Perk that, fully unlocked, increases energy regeneration for a limited time and provides a 25% heal if nearby your flag when an enemy grabs it.
Sonic Punch, fully unlocked, creates a shock wave with each melee swing that pushes back nearby players, and can force a flag fumble.

Additional Items

Fixed many scenarios where weapons could “dry fire.” This fix improves instances where the weapon would appear to fire but no projectile would spawn, improves instances where the weapon could falsely reload, and improves scenarios where a deployable would not properly deploy, even though it appears valid on the player’s client.
Arena Gamemode
Arena now unlocks as a playable mode at Level 8.
Fixed issue where players would spawn as the Soldier class upon first joining an Arena Deathmatch.
Credit count resets after each new round in Arena Deathmatch (the total number of reported credits earned for the lifetime of the match is retained, however).
To better indicate a player is in a warm-up round, the game goes grayscale during this period.
The overhead caret for the last man standing on a team is now always visible to other players.
Players who are benched during the finale of a round will no longer AFK timeout if the finale lasts more than three minutes.
When a player runs out of respawns, the text next to the death counter now says, “Out of Respawns” and when the timer expires it says, “Fire to Spectate”
The distance from the reticule to see the health and nameplates of other players and objectives is more lenient, especially when zoomed.
CTF Temple Ruins has been removed from the public queue pending technical and design improvements.
CTF Bella Omega has been removed from the public queue pending design improvements.
Fixed many bugs on the Player and Team Summary Scenes
The “Acquired” pop-up has been improved.
The HUD animations for accolades and badges has been improved.
Fixed a bug where a player could ski through an inventory station and be propelled out.
Fixed a bug where the player could get in a situation where they would not properly attach to a vehicle station.
Fixed the “missing font” log spam.
Fixed a bug where you could click the “Boost” button from the Player Summary even when that button is invisible.
Fixed issues where players were not being AFK kicked in situations where they were the only one in the match and at the initial team-select screen.
The in-match class quick select screen no longer overrides the post process effects for the map.
Added proper animations to the Heavy when driving or riding on a Grav Cycle.
Fixed a bug where ammo pickups were floating in the air or continuously bouncing.
Fixed an issue where bForceStaticTerrain stopped working in the previous patch.
Fixed an issue where users were losing their weapons when spawning a vehicle and then immediately using an inventory station.
Fixed an issue where players were able to call-in a Supply Drop on their own head.
Fixed an issue where turret holograms were not properly disappearing after using an inventory station.
Fixed an issue where sticky projectiles on the generator were not damaging nearby players.
Fixed an issue where users were able to stay perpetually hidden from turrets by rapidly enabling and disabling stealth.
Fixed an issue where the Soldier’s Utility Pack was not functioning for many players.
Added improved collision to base turrets and base radar sensors.
Fixed an issue where motion sensors destroyed by enemies were not triggering.
Lava on Inferno TDM will now cause damage when touched, but currently will not show players on fire after contact.
Fixed an issue where players were able to get over the boundary wall on Inferno. Also fixed collision issues on the ceiling in the central tunnel.
Lava Arena has been refitted with a custom art set.
VGS and Team Announcer volume settings are now properly working.
Base Turrets and Base Radar Sensors now have new collision, this will make them easier to hit and repair.
Fixed an issue where 1P overlay effects on the weapon and arms would not be playing even when the effect was active, i.e. health regeneration, stealth, jammer, etc.
Fixed an issue where Shrikes were taking double or more damage from light turrets.
Fixed an issue where certain sounds were not stopping when the player died.
Fixed an issue where the Infiltrator’s Stealth Spinfusor was not doing extra damage to armored.
Rank names have been adjusted to match new iconsx.

Known Issues

Lava pain volumes in Inferno TDM will not show any fire particle effects.
Roaming a map can occasionally lead to a crash. The fix is under investigation.
The new gray-scale effect that shows up during a warm-up round in Arena Deathmatch does not affect users with low video card settings.
Pathfinder’s Light Assault Rifle allows for constant repeated bursts of fire in training areas if the player holds down the fire button. This issue will be fixed in a subsequent patch.

Also bug where the turrets are firing twice as fast now. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A)

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of this patch. Mirv and Mortar needed inheritance, but HiRez just seems to be beating around the bush when it comes to game balance.

Worira
2012-03-05, 08:09 PM

Or, as someone on the Hirez forums put it:

Known Issues: A known bug is accidentally emulating the effects of common sense game design. We apologize for the easier and more intuitive playing experience and are currently endeavoring to fix it as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.

TechnoScrabble
2012-03-05, 08:13 PM
Anyone else unable to get on for the last 3 days? For me it either says can't connect to server or brings up the menu that says Logging In when I click submit and then just stays there forever.
It's not frozen, as can still back out by pressing Esc.

Volatar
2012-03-05, 09:07 PM
Anyone else unable to get on for the last 3 days? For me it either says can't connect to server or brings up the menu that says Logging In when I click submit and then just stays there forever.
It's not frozen, as can still back out by pressing Esc.

Try a repair.

psilontech
2012-03-05, 09:45 PM
Also bug where the turrets are firing twice as fast now. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A)

As a technician who doesn't use the thumper, this seems more like a balance than a bug. Normally a turret (or two!) aren't even a threat to a pathfinder, much less the heavies that constantly wander into my base.

In the few matches I've been able to play in, I only have to worry about the generator when there's an organized (Read: More than a lone, bored jackoff who wants to piss me off) effort to rid our base of the generator.

Say what you will about the thumper, but for the rest of us TCNs, this is a godsent - Our turrets are worth a damn now!

{scrubbed}

Icedaemon
2012-03-06, 03:40 AM
Turrets, prior to the patch, seemed more an active early warning system and automatic ambush than an actual 'plonk down and forget' hard deterrent. A light turret could keep an enemy (other than a juggernaut or raider, granted) occupied just long enough for a tech who kept his eyes open for tiny sixties popping up to swoop in and engage.

psilontech
2012-03-06, 04:59 AM
I giggled like a little bitch. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70OKKUOMW6A)

psilontech
2012-03-07, 03:06 AM
Go Blood Eagle Today! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cxACOKxmxE&feature=related)

Icedaemon
2012-03-07, 09:37 AM
I am curious, is 'the announcer is a famous veteran voice actor' the main reason Blood Eagle seems to be more popular among (the more vocal part of) the playerbase? As far as I can figure, the four main tribes were part of the established canon from Starsiege: Tribes onwards, so the Blood Eagles being beloved by virtue of being a classic faction does not make sense.

DemonicAngel
2012-03-07, 02:30 PM
So I got Reach on my pathfinder, the next perk will probably be Ego.

which pack should I be using and why?

Volatar
2012-03-07, 04:30 PM
So I got Reach on my pathfinder, the next perk will probably be Ego.

which pack should I be using and why?

Energy pack for capping, thrust pack for chasing. Energy allows you more long term speed and control, thrust allows you to catch up to a capper quickly.

DemonicAngel
2012-03-07, 05:32 PM
Finally got Ego, thanks to the badges. I'll be using my energy pack. is it passive or do I need to activiate it?

I'm starting to get better at sking, doing high speed grabs/going fast enough. sitll haven't broken the 250 km/h yet, tough.

Icedaemon
2012-03-07, 05:54 PM
The 'basic' packs - the ones the available-from-start classes begin with - offer constant passive bonuses. This decreases the number of controls new players need to quickly get accustomed to.

TechnoScrabble
2012-03-07, 07:19 PM
Just got Doombringer. Not as effective as I'd hoped.

psilontech
2012-03-07, 07:40 PM

I'm trying to main Doombringer at the moment, here are a few of the things I've picked up:

Only play DMB on TDM.
DMB is obviously a defensive class.
DMB requires the Superheavy perk to be mastered to maximize usefulness.
Max out Force-Fields.
Place forcefields at locations a pathfinder would take to get to / get away with the flag.
With SuperHeavy be HoF (Heavy on Flag), causing squishy pathfinders to make plasant splatting noises when they suicide against the side of your armor.
Purchase mines - They really are helpful.
Fast dudes generally go in a straight line towards you - This allows you to easily hit them with the chaingun's slow-moving bullets.
**** Bitches.

Weezer
2012-03-07, 07:43 PM

Really? As a pathfinder a good DMB is my nemesis. With force fields, mines and super heavy they can lock down the flag like no other.

iyaerP
2012-03-07, 07:55 PM

**** Bitches.
Make money.

It takes mucho practicimo. Also, what exactly are you having trouble with? gun not performing? the missile launcher is a pile of crap? not being able to keep your forcefields up? Tell us, that we may help you.

For my own part, I am currently remarkably un-fond of the recent trend in the metagame where in ctf matches, whichever team spams the most technicians wins.

And finally, as promised last page, I spent some time this weekend conducting !!SCIENCE!! The results for your amusement and pleasure:

Flag-grabbing by flying over a HoF's head: CONFIRMED. Not much more to say here beyond that it works, and requires some rather exquisite flight control, but if you can do it, it is rather more awesome than just impact-nitroning him out of the way.

Flag-grabbing by sliding past a HoF while using reach: Unable to test as I do not have reach. That is for this next weekend. Fortunately, due to how much free XP badges are providing, this shouldn't take too long to max out and then test as soon as I finish upgrading rage.

Juggernauts on bikes: Remember in my "I am screwing around in vehicles" section, I mentioned that I hadn't really found a solid use for bikes yet? Well I have found that use, and it is AWESOME. Sadly limited in effectiveness by map terrain to only drydock, katabatic and crossfire, this tactic is moderately effective at baserape, and insanely fun. I myself am a pretty bad juggernaut, and my friend is even worse, yet using this tactic, we got like 15 kills between us, a number of base destructions, 4ish arty strikes, 2 roadkills and 3 flag returns. I think my favorite part is the fact that if you know your bike is about to die, you can just hop out, and then even so, you have 2 full health, full energy juggernauts right in the middle of a base and team already savaged by your previous strafing runs. Is good fun. The only bit of warning I will give for this one is that it almost requires VoIP of some kind. We used skype, but I imagine that anything could work.

New content: The rage perk specifically. This thing is pretty good. I put it on my doomy in place of bounty hunter, and am liking it for the most part. The energy regen is such that you can give a decent attempt at chasing a flag-capper, but the range leave ssomething to be desired. As far as I can tell, you basically need to be within 10 feet or so of the flag, otherwise it doesn't trigger. Notable things include: It won't trigger if you are on the bridge between the flag tower and the sensor tower on katabatic, it wont' trigger if you are in the half of the ship that has the inventory stations in crossfire. I don't know the exact range on it, but a lot of the times when I have really NEEDED it, it hasn't been there. The most infuriating of course being when I was UNDER the flag platform on crossfire, having just been knocked off, the flag got grabbed and the extra energy didn't proc. That didn't please me. Overall, I would prefer to have survivalist, but that would come at the expense of super-heavy, and in my book, that one is sacrosanct.

psilontech
2012-03-07, 08:19 PM
I'm a little disappointed that both superheavy and sonic punch are both in the same perk list.

I want to sit on the flag and FALCHOOON PAUUNCH! people as they near the flag while retaining my inherent 'it ****ing hurts to run into that *******' qualities.

iyaerP
2012-03-07, 10:18 PM
I'm a little disappointed that both superheavy and sonic punch are both in the same perk list.

I want to sit on the flag and FALCHOOON PAUUNCH! people as they near the flag while retaining my inherent 'it ****ing hurts to run into that *******' qualities.

Do you actually have sonic punch unlocked? Because if the splash effect is good enough, I might consider it. Also sounds like it would be useful for infiltrators in conjunction with backstab.

Elm11
2012-03-07, 10:29 PM
Being home sick today, this is pretty much the first opportunity I've had to play at the same time as most US forumites. At the same time, I've just realised that they're pretty much incompatible, because trying to play this game with a ping of 250 (what we'll end up with if we play in the US or Oceania zones, but don't live there) would be an exercise in futility.

Sadface.jpg

iyaerP
2012-03-07, 10:38 PM
Being home sick today, this is pretty much the first opportunity I've had to play at the same time as most US forumites. At the same time, I've just realised that they're pretty much incompatible, because trying to play this game with a ping of 250 (what we'll end up with if we play in the US or Oceania zones, but don't live there) would be an exercise in futility.

Sadface.jpg

Clearly, ou just need to convince your school that the only POSSIBLE way for you to get a job in today's economy is an internship. In america. :smalltongue:

psilontech
2012-03-08, 02:01 AM
As it's completely free and I've enjoyed my time so far with T:A, I'm considering giving Tribes 2 a shot.

Many people still play? If not, are any of them still relatively popular online?

Triscuitable
2012-03-08, 06:16 PM
As it's completely free and I've enjoyed my time so far with T:A, I'm considering giving Tribes 2 a shot.

Many people still play? If not, are any of them still relatively popular online?

Tried to get everyone into the game, but then Volatar got a key to T:A, I was already in it, and then the game went open. But Tribes 2 is fantastic, and has more players than Ascend. Not only that, but I'm better at it than I am at Tribes: Ascend. Much easier to grasp.

If you're willing to get into the game, let's do it. :smallbiggrin:

Volatar
2012-03-08, 08:45 PM
Tried to get everyone into the game, but then Volatar got a key to T:A, I was already in it, and then the game went open. But Tribes 2 is fantastic, and has more players than Ascend. Not only that, but I'm better at it than I am at Tribes: Ascend. Much easier to grasp.

If you're willing to get into the game, let's do it. :smallbiggrin:

Wow, I never realized that I dropped the T2 idea when I got into T:A. Sorry about that.

While I won't be a driving force behind it, I will be happy to join in if you start something.

Volatar
2012-03-09, 02:07 PM
New official trailer: Llama Island (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjyUy5f3VIw). :smallbiggrin:

DemonicAngel
2012-03-09, 02:49 PM
seeing that capper hand's outstrectched, I felt his pain and anger towards the llama.

and I laughed.

can someone give me a run through of why everybody seem to hate Diamond Sword and adore Blood Eagle?

dromer
2012-03-09, 05:59 PM
New official trailer: Llama Island (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjyUy5f3VIw). :smallbiggrin:

In addition, T:A is set for an April 12 release date. (http://www.hirezstudios.com/hirezwp/?p=1825)

Boo. Between all the physics bugs, lack of private servers, and general chasing/firing/balance woes, this is set to be a poor release.

iyaerP
2012-03-09, 07:27 PM
seeing that capper hand's outstrectched, I felt his pain and anger towards the llama.

and I laughed.

can someone give me a run through of why everybody seem to hate Diamond Sword and adore Blood Eagle?

Because despite the BEagles being complete cockbags in the fluff, the ingame diamond shazbot announcer's voice is like that of a shrill harpy that spends its spare time lascerating chalkboards.

It is especially egregious when you compare to the BEagle announcer's voice and his MANLY MANLIENESS OF MIGHTY MOJO.

Compare: "Honor will be sacraficed this day." (AAHHHHHHHHHHHHH my EARS! also: WTF. we are going to sacrafice honor? Screw that. Be honorable. Be awesome. be anything but diamond sword!)

To: "We didn't start this war, but I wish we had." (awwww yeah baby. we pimpin. :smallcool:)

Besides, I am and always will be a child of the pheonix/ starwolf. The new temple map with its children of the pheonix iconography makes me giddy to be quite honest. gleeeeeeeeeeee. Now we just need starwolf map and starwolf skins.

Triscuitable
2012-03-09, 09:05 PM
So when do we get Tribes 2 set up? I'm aching to play. :smallbiggrin:

Just get both the patch and the game. (http://www.tribesnext.com/downloads) It's a torrent, but it's freeware. No illegalities.

psilontech
2012-03-09, 11:04 PM
I've come to the conclusion that Tribes has made me better at most other online FPS games.

Jumped into a local LAN party, they were playing CS:S and just completely dominated everyone, the entire time thinking everything was TOO DAMN SLOW!:smalltongue:

Triscuitable
2012-03-09, 11:08 PM
I've come to the conclusion that Tribes has made me better at most other online FPS games.

Jumped into a local LAN party, they were playing CS:S and just completely dominated everyone, the entire time thinking everything was TOO DAMN SLOW!:smalltongue:

Playing Black Ops:

Why am I not moving fast enough (using SMG, ballistic knife, Lightweight, and Marathon Pro)?

Playing Battlefield 3:

Why am I not moving even remotely fast (using SMG, Sprint SQD Perk)?

:smallbiggrin: