PDA

View Full Version : Be SAD not MAD: Paladins

Ardantis
2012-02-13, 11:14 AM
One of the oft-cited weaknesses of martial classes is their dependence on multiple stats to be effective. While its true that melee types would not perform very well with, say, a negative constitution modifier, I'm proposing here an investigation into what builds look like when traditionally MAD characters are played more like SAD characters.

The Caveat-

Investigate characters (28 point buy) who have one stat starting at 18.

I'll start with the Paladin.

I had a friend in college who always played Paladins. I suppose he was just embracing that aspect of his Catholic heritage, but whatever it was, he played Paladins or Paladin-like characters in everything from Diablo II to Vampire: The Masquerade.

One day, after he had joined a gestalt game as a Paladin/Sorcerer, he says to me something along the lines of, "You know, Paladins really only need one ability score; Charisma. It powers all of their special abilities, and can be added as a bonus to all their important stats and skills."

Here's the outlay I propose:

18 Charima
14 12 Wisdom
12 11 Constitution
10 13 Strength
8 Intelligence
8 Dexterity

Charisma powers saves, smites, turning, Lay on Hands, Divine Feats, and Diplomacy

Wisdom allows for spellcasting, and since most solid Paladin spells are self-buffs, jacking up the DCs is uneccessary (alternately, you could can get by with a lower Wisdom and just use items to get up to the requisite score to cast spells. You can't cast until lvl 4 anyways, and at that point you'll have the wealth to buy a +2 Wis item. Once again, the DCs are not important, and so you rely on an item for spellcasting. Don't you already rely on a weapon for fighting?)

Consitution is important, and at least an extra HP per level is necessary. Once again, you could trade over from Wisdom but most of your defenses are Charisma-based, and you've got d10 HD.

Strength doesn't want a penalty, but isn't really as important to a Paladin as it looks. I know, I know, a Paladin without Power Attack, but Power Attack doesn't even really come online until level 6, and at that point, Paladins will be doing other things (if they're even still Paladins). Frees up a feat slot for something actually useful.
However, it is a requisite for Divine Might, (Cha based damage) and of course Power Attack is fantastic at higher levels with THF.

Intelligence is traditionally a Paladin dump stat. Diplomacy is the only seriously unique and useful Paladin skill (well, and Sense Motive), unless you're a mounted build, and since only Dwarven Paladins would even consider Ride for Tumble.

Dexterity is a Paladin dump stat. As much as it would be nice to have 12 Dex for that +1 AC in full plate, seriously, leave it to Charisma.

That means, RP-style, our Paladin is a zealot. Possessed of an incredible force of personality, perceptive, clumsy, and not all that bright.

Suggested Feats:

Human- Improved Initiative
(Human- Lighting Reflexes)
Power Attack
Extra Smiting
Battle Blessing
Divine Strength Might
Divine Favor
Divine Shield (for that animated shield you have at this point)
Extra Turning

With the boosted saves and defenses from class abilities, Divine feats and swifted spells, your conventional defenses can be very high. Yeah, you need to "power up" and are thus not always impervious (like a spellcaster before Contingency), and your major damage (smiting) only really works against evil stuff, but you are really irritating, hard to kill, and hard to ignore. Grab a falchion and a scabbard of keen edges to make it more likely that your damage bonuses will occasionally get blown out of the park.

Early levels, you lag in damage but with detect evil, Lay on Hands, and save bonuses, you are still contributing in many ways (which are on par with other classes at this point). The tough levels are 3-6, where your early abilities begin to fade in importance and your better ones aren't online yet. At six, with Battle Blessing, your early weak buffs are available on the fly, and by level nine Divine [S]Strength [S] Might plus your much improved Smite allow you to bandy about your Charisma in combat, supported by Power Attack. Notice these abilities are almost all bolstered by your impressive Charisma score.

Assuming you've upgraded to a prestige class which advances some combination of smiting, turning, and spellcasting, these benefits will follow you around, and the other Divine feats will add significant survivability (Vigor) and AC (Shield) to your repertoire.

Of course, at this point, you play more like an outsider- lots of spells and Su abilities before you actually get down to hitting things.

I think this approach to Paladins would potentially bump them up from Tier 5 to Tier 4. What do you think?

Psyren
2012-02-13, 11:23 AM
Str and Dex power more than simply landing blows. That full-plate you mention for defense is going to be very hard to actually wear with only 10 Str, as you're now a scant 17 pounds from heavy load without even factoring in weapon, shield and inventory. Just about every combat maneuver (both landing and resisting) depends on Str or Dex in some way too, so he's going to get creamed on the front-line when monsters are loltripping/loldisarming him, autowinning their grapples or bullrushing him everywhere.

Do you want a truly SAD paladin? Google "Sir Wisdom the SAD" to see how it's done.

Or if you simply want a less MAD paladin, port in his Pathfinder cousin.

Socratov
2012-02-13, 11:54 AM
well, then simple: switch wisdom and strength buy wis items and be done with it... I don't know if that allows for a tier bump, but it's certainly not that horrible anymore (apart form the alignment restriction of the classic paladin)

the great thing is, by using wis items for being able to cast certain levels of spells you actually get more effect out of your statbooster item, actually using it's value too instead of just it's modifier effects.

Psyren
2012-02-13, 12:02 PM
well, then simple: switch wisdom and strength buy wis items and be done with it... I don't know if that allows for a tier bump, but it's certainly not that horrible anymore (apart form the alignment restriction of the classic paladin)

Until you can afford +Wis items, you have no spells. Even after you can obtain some, every gp you spend on pumping Wis is one less to spend on Str, Cha or Con. The MAD problem remains.

Not to mention that, without spellcasting, you're paying full-price for all your gear since you can't craft any of it yourself.

FMArthur
2012-02-13, 12:08 PM
Paladins may have other abilities, but at the end of the day, if you're not using the class primarily for whacking people in the face, you should definitely be playing something else. What exactly is a Paladin doing with his time if he is not engaging in melee (and apparently shouldn't?) before level 6? Are you seriously suggesting that surviving and using Lay on Hands should be your main contributions before you have spells?

Paladin spellcasting cannot carry you throughout your day. Actual Paladin features range from augments melee (Smite, special mount) to situational to why would I ever care about this? Paladins are frontliners. Their spells support them being frontliners. Aside from being frontliners they are terrible healers, and nothing else.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-02-13, 12:11 PM
Switch wisdom and strength, and charisma and (the new) wisdom. Now take the feat Serenity from Dragon Magazine Compendium.

Greenish
2012-02-13, 12:11 PM
I think this approach to Paladins would potentially bump them up from Tier 5 to Tier 4. What do you think?No. Pretending stats that matter don't matter doesn't mean they stop mattering.

Make a Str/Con focused paladin. You'll be that much better at lower levels, and not any worse by later level.

Medic!
2012-02-13, 12:12 PM
Personally I'd just get rid of spellcasting altogether. My favorite published variant for doing so is out of Complete Warrior, gaining you good-aligned strikes (whoopee) and tend mount (eh, charging smite PHB2-go) and a 1/day untyped +4 to either str, wis, or cha for 1 min/lvl as a standard action (not so bad)

Seerow
2012-02-13, 12:16 PM
Personally I'd just get rid of spellcasting altogether. My favorite published variant for doing so is out of Complete Warrior, gaining you good-aligned strikes (whoopee) and tend mount (eh, charging smite PHB2-go) and a 1/day untyped +4 to either str, wis, or cha for 1 min/lvl as a standard action (not so bad)

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not... but if not in what way does this make up for losing Paladin spells? You get a 1/day level 2 spell, good aligned strikes is meh, and generally a Paladin will have Holy on his weapon one way or another (much easier with spells).

Hawk7915
2012-02-13, 12:18 PM
Yeah, the wisdom plan is better: Take "Serenity" from Dragon Magazine to make Turn, Smite, Lay on Hands, and Divine Grace work off Wisdom instead of Charisma. Then, take either Intuitive Attack (BoED) or Zen Archery (CWar) to have your attack also key off Wisdom (although you'll be limited to simple, ranged, or natural weapons). Go really nuts with Ascetic Knight to get Wis to AC (or just wear a Monk's Belt). The classic build gains some psionic powers via PrCs and takes the Mage-slayer line, but in a lower optimization campaign I could see a pure Paladin or a Paladin X/Monk 2 being just fine (although as always, PrCing out of Paladin after 6 is almost always a better call, especially if the PrC advances spellcasting).

For the Charisma build, I'd take Devotion feats. You have a ton of Turn attempts before you even consider taking Extra Turning or snagging a nightstick, and something like Law Devotion or Animal Devotion would help your mediocre attack abilities quite a bit (and aren't too much of a stretch for a Paladin). You have the Divine feats listed, but Devotion feats last a whole encounter once activated and the first one is free, giving you a lot more staying power. Other thematic and reasonably solid Devotions would be Travel (full attack every turn and still move!), Healing Devotion (if you have no other healers), or Protection Devotion (to boost the team's ac like a real leader).

Ardantis
2012-02-13, 12:19 PM
Psyren~ You're right about Strength, Power Attack is far too good to give up (like Quicken Spell for a Wizard), plus it's a req for Divine Might.

Using items to bridge the gap with spellcasting is acceptable, unfortunately you cannot do the same for Strength as a feat prerequisite.

I would argue that through-the-roof saves via high Charisma are much more important than Str or Dex to deal with combat abilities like tripping and disarming. Abilities which require a save are much more debilitating, generally, than a disarm or a trip.

Also, do you have a link to "Sir Wisdom the SAD?" I would be very interested in seeing what he did. (especially considering I'd like to investigate the high-wisdom *shudder* Monk next.)

Socratov~ You're right about the Wisdom items, and Str is required for feat. Thanks.

FMArthur~

Thanks for chiming in, I was looking forward to your input.

Paladins are a weird exercise in a melee class rooted firmly in mental stats. I agree, they do need to hit things, but for some reason they are subject to class abilities which are only tangentially related to this and rely on other ability scores. I am arguing that the only time they really need to hit things in the first three levels is by smiting. They're secondary melee/punching bag at best (and not very good at that). Hell, they're almost a magical skillmonkey until PA really kicks in!

Medic!
2012-02-13, 12:23 PM
Not being sarcastic at all. It frees up your extra points and/or money you used to get wisdom up so it can be allocated somewhere else, like str or con. You do lose spellcasting, but someone in your party had better be doing it better than you anyway. I agree on the good-aligned strikes, but it comes in the package *shrug*

The 1/day boost is (not quite) the equivelant of a 2nd lvl spell that you don't have, and a caster won't have to waste time casting for you. (It's also untyped, eat it enhancement bonuses) It also gives the paladin that "By the power of Greyskull" feel so they can (kinda) go hero-mode 1/day.

Ardantis
2012-02-13, 12:30 PM
Jade Dragon~

OOH Serenity sounds sweet. Is that how Sir Wisdom the SAD did it?

Greenish~

It's OK, you still matter to me. I may disagree with you here, but I love the directness of your posts.

Medic~

You are so crazy. A Paladin with no spellcasting? That's like a Hexblade with no curse!

Seerow~

To each his own, I suppose.

Hawk7915~

Thank you for mentioning the Devotion feats. Those might actually shore up the build (although I still like the Charisma basis for the Divine feats, even if they are less flexible)

Medic (again)~

Wasn't He-Man's sidekick a Paladin?

Psyren
2012-02-13, 12:34 PM
No spellcasting on a Paladin is only any good if you're going into a PrC that doesn't progress the spells anyway, like Ashworm Dragoon or Hellreaver. And only a bare few of those are any good.

Also, do you have a link to "Sir Wisdom the SAD?"

I told you to google it for a reason - first result :smalltongue:

But since I'm bored, here you go. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6970738&postcount=3)

Hiro Protagonest
2012-02-13, 12:38 PM
Not being sarcastic at all. It frees up your extra points and/or money you used to get wisdom up so it can be allocated somewhere else, like str or con. You do lose spellcasting, but someone in your party had better be doing it better than you anyway. I agree on the good-aligned strikes, but it comes in the package *shrug*

The 1/day boost is (not quite) the equivelant of a 2nd lvl spell that you don't have, and a caster won't have to waste time casting for you. (It's also untyped, eat it enhancement bonuses) It also gives the paladin that "By the power of Greyskull" feel so they can (kinda) go hero-mode 1/day.

I'd rather be using DMM: Persisted Draconic Might and swift action Cure spells.

Ardantis
2012-02-13, 12:48 PM
Thanks Psyren

Ardantis
2012-02-13, 12:55 PM
I guess Wisdom is better than Charisma!

Greenish
2012-02-13, 01:36 PM
I guess Wisdom is better than Charisma!You can add either to many things. A sorcadin, for example, much prefers Cha.

Looking into Wis, for a low OP, you could pull off a Serenity Paladin/Monk/Argent Fist/Shiba Protector and get Wis to saves, AC (in full plate), smiting, TU, attack and damage. Also Evasion and Mettle.

Person_Man
2012-02-13, 01:56 PM
Psyren already pimped my best stuff. But I would add that Paladins can already be bumped up to Tier 4 (and occasionally Tier 3ish) characters with the simple addition of Leadership or a Prestige Class for a better Special Mount. This gives you a high movement rate, the possibility of flight or burrow, high damage, another target for your enemies (and thus better defense), and additional special abilities (depending on your mount).

Also, don't overlook the fact that you can use wands fairly effectively. There are a bunch of useful Paladin spells, and UMD (a Cha based Skill) can be purchased cross class and used fairly effectively by mid levels as well. In particular, Alter Self + Share Spells is a great way to turn yourself and your Special Mount into superior combat forms.

And Paladins are already fairly Cha SAD-ish once you get to mid levels for a moderate investment. Divine Grace for Saves, Combat Panache or Divine Shield or Sirine's Grace for AC, Charming the Arrow or Slippers of Battledancing or Thunder Lance or Whirling Blade plus Smite Evil for To-Hit. A nice DM might even give you these goodies for free, to correct the mechanical weakness of the class.

Godskook
2012-02-13, 03:10 PM
I think this approach to Paladins would potentially bump them up from Tier 5 to Tier 4. What do you think?

Nope.

Tiers are evaluated at all levels; being able to mature into something powerful got Healer placed at tier 6. For the Paladin, he's got no spells before level 4, minimal healing(12 hp/day), and one smite evil attempt. What's he going to do if the encounter isn't against an evil opponent(for instance, a wolf), try to hit them with his weapon? Hahaha....no. The most appropriate comparison is to compare him to his nearest cousin, the Crusader, who's tier 3. With 16/14/14/10/10/10, the Crusader is winning on attack rolls by a constant +2 from level 1. Worse, while the Paladin is dealing a paltry 2d6+1 on an attack, the Crusader is(pick one/round):
-Healing for d6+IL
-Giving his allies a +4 to attack that target
-Gaining DR 5/Adam

-and- (Pick only one, one of two after level 1)
-Healing an ally for 2 HP
-Causing targets he threatens to take a -4 against allies(effectively tanking)
-Adding +1/IL to party's charge damage
-Giving party a +2 on will saves

At level 3, this gets worse, since the Crusader is now dealing an additional 2d6 damage once every 3 rounds(potentially twice every 3 at level 4).

By level 7, the Paladin is still stuck with level 1 spells that aren't that spectacular while the Crusader is picking through options like +8d8 damage, dealing Con damage, denying move actions or preventing foes from making AoOs for 3 rounds. And he's already got White Raven Tactics to give his allies a free turn.