PDA

View Full Version : Your weapon is misfortune, use it well. [3.5, Base Class, Fix, PEACH]

Sgt. Cookie
2012-02-13, 01:33 PM
For this class I will be using the handy dandy Fix-O-Spoilers, for all your fixing needs.

The Hexblade

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/cwc_Hexblade_med.jpg

Wielders of both martial prowess and arcane might, the Hexblade is a unique being, fighting with both blade and spell. Hexblades are also wielders of a powerful curse, sowing mayhem and disarray in the ranks of his foes.

Game rule information:
Hexblades have the following game statistics:

Abilities: Strength and Constitution are a must for any front line class, while Charisma is used for many of the Hexblade's abilities. Since the Hexblade wears light armour he can make the most out of a high dexterity.

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: D10
Starting Age: As Fighter
Starting Gold: As Fighter

Most obvious change: Alignment. Personally, I never understood why a Hexblade had to be Non-Good. Alignment restrictions for Paladins, Monks, even Barbarians made sense. But the Hexblade, not so much.

I couldn't find starting age or gold for the Hexblade, so I had to eyeball it.

Class Skills:
The Hexblade’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill)
are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy
(Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Profession
(Wis), Ride (Dex), and Spellcraft (Int)
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int mod) X 4
Skill points at each additional level: 4 + Int mod

No change to the list, but bumped his skill points up a notch

The Hexblade uses the CW tables for spells per day and spells known.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+2|Hexblade’s curse 1/Encounter

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+3|Arcane resistance, Uncanny dodge

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+3|Mettle

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+4|Summon familiar, Spells

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+4|Bonus feat, Hexblade’s curse 2/Encounter

6th|
+6/1|
+5|
+2|
+5|

7th|
+7/2|
+5|
+2|
+5|Additional effect

8th|
+8/3|
+6|
+2|
+6|

9th|
+9/4|
+6|
+3|
+6|Hexblade’s curse 3/Encounter

10th|
+10/5|
+7|
+3|
+7|Bonus feat

11th|
+11/6/1|
+7|
+3|
+7|Improved uncanny dodge

12th|
+12/7/2|
+8|
+4|
+8|Aura of unluck

13th|
+13/8/3|
+8|
+4|
+8|Hexblade’s curse 4/Encounter, Improved Mettle

14th|
+14/9/4|
+9|
+4|
+9|Arcane armour

15th|
+15/10/5|
+9|
+5|
+9|Bonus feat

16th|
+16/11/6/1|
+10|
+5|
+10|Improved aura of unluck

17th|
+17/12/7/2|
+10|
+5|
+10|Hexblade’s curse 5/Encounter

18th|
+18/13/8/3|
+11|
+6|
+11|

19th|
+19/14/9/4|
+11|
+6|
+11|Additional effect

20th|
+20/15/10/5|
+12|
+6|
+12|Greater aura of unluck, Master of Misfortune[/table]

No BaB change, however he does have High Fort now. You will also notice that a few abilities are different, Hexblade's curse is now a per encounter, "Additional effects" are where Improved and Dire 'curses should be, he gains uncanny dodge and improved mettle.

Class features:
The following are considered class features of the Hexblade.

Weapon and armour proficiencies:
Hexblades are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and with light armor and light shields. Because the somatic components required for hexblade spells are simple, a hexblade can cast hexblade spells while wearing light armor without incurring the normal arcane spell failure chance. However, like any other arcane spellcaster, a hexblade wearing medium or heavy armor or using a non-light shield incurs a chance of arcane spell failure if the spell in question has a somatic component (and most do). A multiclass hexblade still incurs the normal arcane spell failure chance for arcane spells derived from other classes.

Apart from gaining light shield proficiency, it's the same as the CW version.

Hexblade’s Curse (Su):
Once per encounter, as a free action, a Hexblade may unleash a curse on a foe, ally, object, etc. The target must be within 60 ft. The target of a Hexblade's curse takes some form of bad luck, which the player dictates. While the DM has the final say, a few example effects are shown below. A successful Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 Hexblade’s class level + Hexblade’s Cha modifier) negates the effect. Non-magical objects do not get a save. The Hexblade can only apply one effect per curse.

Example effects:

Target takes a -2 to attack and damage rolls.

Straps and fittings in the target's armour become loose. The armour is considered donned hastily, if the armour was already donned hastily the user is considered to not be proficient in its use. (Armour makes the save, if magical)

Bolts in the wheel of a cart become loose as it's being ridden.

Target's grip on a weapon slips.

The effects are limited only by player imagination and DM approval.

At levels 7 and 19 the Hexblade can apply an additional effect with a single curse. The Hexblade can apply the additional effects to multiple targets, provided that they are in the same square.

For example: A level 7 Hexblade could cause an enemy's armour to become unfastened while simultaneously causing his grip on his weapon to fail.

My biggest gripe with Hexblades curse was, well, that it wasn't that curse-y. This newer version attempts changes that.

Arcane resistance (Su):
At 2nd level, a hexblade gains a bonus equal to his Charisma bonus plus half his Hexblade class levels (minimum +1) on saving throws and spell resistance checks against spells, spell-like effects and supernatural abilities.

Gets a big boost AND it's useable on more things.

Uncanny dodge (Ex):
As per the Barbarian ability.

The Hexblade relies on Dexterity for additional AC, so this ability is a must.

Mettle (Ex):
As per CW Hexblade.

Familiar:
As per CW Hexblade.

Spells:
As per CW Hexblade

Bonus Feat:
At fifth level and every five levels thereafter, the Hexblade can choose a bonus feat that comes from either the Hexblade list, the Fighter bonus feat list or the Wizard bonus feat list.

The Hexblade is a gish, so extra feats that help with combat are always welcome.

Improved uncanny dodge (Ex)
As per the Barbarian ability.

Aura of unluck (Su)
A hexblade of 12th level or higher can create a baleful aura of misfortune. Any
melee or ranged attack made against the hexblade while this aura of unluck is active has a 20% miss chance (similar to the effect of concealment). Activating the aura is a swift action. A Hexblade can use this ability for a number of rounds per day equal to 3 + the Hexblade’s Charisma bonus (if any). The rounds do not need to be consecutive.

At 16th level, the number of rounds increases to 6 + the hexblade’s Charisma bonus. The aura also extends to allies within 20ft.

At 20th level the number of rounds increases to 9 + the Hexblade’s Charisma bonus. The aura also extends to allies within 50ft.

Much more useful. The Hexblade can dole out the rounds as he sees fit and allies gain a bonus from it as well.

Improved mettle (Ex)
This ability works like Mettle, except that while the Hexblade still takes no damage on a successful Will or Fortitude saving throw against spells like Chill touch or maneuvers like Dazing strike, henceforth he takes only half damage on a failed save. A sleeping or helpless Hexblade does not gain the benefit of improved mettle.

Some people consider this ability OP, I consider it necessary. And yes, I did just do a stright copy-paste from my Gladiator.

Arcane Armour (Su)
At 14th level, a Hexblade may, in leiu of casting a proper spell, grant himself a better chane of avoiding foe's attacks. As a swift action, the Hexblade may consume a spell and grant himself an untyped AC bonus equal to (2 X the level of the spell) + his charisma bonus for a number of rounds equal to half his charisma modifier.

Like I said, it's a gish, so spell casting is not going to be the Hexblade's strong point. Plus, melee always needs a boost.

Master of misfortune (Su)
The Hexblade's command of luck has reached it's peak, and can direct his curse on an event that has already occured! By expending two uses of his curse, the Hexblade may focus his attention on any moment from the last (2 + Charisma mod) rounds and target his curse on a foe.

He could, for example, cause a fly to buzz around an enemy spell caster's head, meaning that the fireball that decimated the Rogue last round is going to be aimed a little worse, allowing the Rogue to make another save attempt, with the Spellcaster taking a small penalty.

This ability can only affect a single moment once, as time will not yield twice.

Yep, the Hexblade can rewrite time. What else would the capstone of a class that messes with luck be?

Kane0
2012-02-13, 08:08 PM
Very nice touch up, i like!

Thought: I think the CW Hexblade had a casting progression, are you cutting that out?
EDIT: Saw it in the abilities, just thought they weren't there because the table didnt have them. Sorry.

Peach: You still have a few dead levels, and you probably will want a nice capstone too. I don't have any criticisms of mettle, but then again i've never seen it abused. For your bonus feats, how about the wizard bonus feat list as well as the fighter's? Sorry i cant go into detail, im at work :smallbiggrin:

Sgt. Cookie
2012-02-14, 03:41 PM
UPDATE:

Two new abilities, Arcane Armour and Master of Misfortune, have been added.

On a suggesten from Kane0, the Hexblade can now choose from the Wizard's bonus feat list.

For some reason the table showed that the Hexblade had high reflex and low will. That has been rectified.