PDA

View Full Version : Backup character help

umbergod
2012-02-13, 02:21 PM
I have the overall idea in mind, a goblin bounty hunter of sorts. true neutral, caring nothing for good or evil, just following the word of the contract.

My first thought was urban ranger bounty hunter, but that clashes as I plan to have a wolf and eventually a worg as an animal companion/mount.

So help me, oh wise denizens of the GitP forums. Low to Mid OP, for a PBP Age of Worms campaign. Goblin is set, class doesn't need to be set, as ranger only really fits the bill due to the animal companion, favored enemies, and combat style feats.

PB system, 32 points. I figure no more than a 10 in str, as I plan to use a bow at range, and a greataxe if im forced into melee.

umbergod
2012-02-13, 03:08 PM
bump with another question relating to this overall topic. Would Natural Bond allow me to function as a druid of my ranger level, and pick an alternate animal companion?

erikun
2012-02-13, 04:11 PM
bump with another question relating to this overall topic. Would Natural Bond allow me to function as a druid of my ranger level, and pick an alternate animal companion?
Technically no, but if you are spending a feat anyways, you might as well take Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) and not be tied down to a specific class. Natural Bond would only add +3 to your effective Druid level, so for a Ranger, that would be 1/2 level +3 (max: Ranger level).

With no need to take actual Ranger levels, you're a lot more free with what classes to take. Horizon Tripper (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80415) is an idea, although with only 10 Strength, it might not be the best. For a ranged archer, you might try the Scout 4/Ranger X builds.

Note that a basic Druid with the Zen Archery feat (Wis to ranged attacks) may replicate a lot of what you want to do. It may not have all the skills you are planning on using, though.

umbergod
2012-02-13, 04:18 PM
Technically no, but if you are spending a feat anyways, you might as well take Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) and not be tied down to a specific class. Natural Bond would only add +3 to your effective Druid level, so for a Ranger, that would be 1/2 level +3 (max: Ranger level).

With no need to take actual Ranger levels, you're a lot more free with what classes to take. Horizon Tripper (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80415) is an idea, although with only 10 Strength, it might not be the best. For a ranged archer, you might try the Scout 4/Ranger X builds.

Note that a basic Druid with the Zen Archery feat (Wis to ranged attacks) may replicate a lot of what you want to do. It may not have all the skills you are planning on using, though.

Druid doesn't fit my concept much. The scout/ranger might, with a few tweaks. My concept isn't really nature oriented, more based around being like a bounty hunter/tracker.

I like the idea of Wild Cohort, but don't like that they don't scale in power with you like an animal companion would >.< mmmmm too many decisions.

EDIT: I'm a bit derp today, just scrolled down on that article about Wild Cohort, it does indeed scale and is pretty much exactly what I want. Now to figure out class levels and such. Thank you :D

onemorelurker
2012-02-13, 04:25 PM
The Bloodhound prestige class (from CAd) seems like it would work well with your concept. I'd go in with at least one Ranger level (to get Track as a bonus feat).

umbergod
2012-02-13, 04:32 PM
The Bloodhound prestige class (from CAd) seems like it would work well with your concept. I'd go in with at least one Ranger level (to get Track as a bonus feat).

My idea was enough ranger levels to get at least the first tier of ranged combat style feats. Snagging an animal companion wouldn't be bad idea either, on top of my cohort. Get like a raven or something that can scout ahead for me or something. I knew there was a few prestige classes that were built to be trackers/hunters but I was drawing a blank. Thanks for pointing me towards one of them :)

onemorelurker
2012-02-13, 07:37 PM
My idea was enough ranger levels to get at least the first tier of ranged combat style feats. Snagging an animal companion wouldn't be bad idea either, on top of my cohort. Get like a raven or something that can scout ahead for me or something. I knew there was a few prestige classes that were built to be trackers/hunters but I was drawing a blank. Thanks for pointing me towards one of them :)

I don't even think it would be a bad idea to take Ranger 5/Bloodhound X; I just suggested 1+ levels to keep your options open. Also, the other major bounty hunterish PrC is the Justicar from CW, which focuses on doing nonlethal damage and actually bringing bad guys in, whereas the Bloodhound is more about tracking them down. The Justicar is also fluffed as not being in it for the profit, but that's mutable.

Deathslayer7
2012-02-13, 07:45 PM
Justicar and Vigilante you might want to look at then.

umbergod
2012-02-13, 07:59 PM
Justicar and Vigilante you might want to look at then.

I checked out vigilante, too batmanny for my idea. I care less about whether or not the person is innocent or guilty, and more that the contract stipulates their death or capture, and fulfilling the contract.

EDIT: Justicar seems much the same way, almost like a mix of Bloodhound and Vigilante.