PDA

View Full Version : How to: Bender? [3.5/3.P/3.X]

Kansaschaser
2012-02-13, 03:22 PM
So, I was wondering how would I go about creating the Bender classes from Avatar: The Last Air Bender TV show.

The closest I can get that I've seen so far is the Shugenja from the Complete Divine. But that doesn't cover some of the things we want to try to mimic from the TV show. Anyone figured out how to make Bender in 3.5 or 3.P?

Seerow
2012-02-13, 03:25 PM
Best bet without resorting to homebrew? I'd say either a Sorcerer or Psion with a heavily focused spell/power selection.

lord_khaine
2012-02-13, 03:30 PM
I would say something along the line of unarmed swordsage or warblade / psion, wilder or ardent would fit the bill best.

Actualy, Unarmed swordsage / ardent would be able to cover most of the main cast from the show, with the exception of Aang, for who i dont know how the avatar state should be representet, and poor Soraka, for who Fighter x would suffice :smalltongue:

Anyway, psionic is defently the solution here, go take a closer look at it, and look at the ardent in particular.

Feralventas
2012-02-13, 03:44 PM
D6 HD
4+int mod skills per level, x4 at 1st level. Pick class skills as you like, only using skills actually listed on the PHB character sheet.
3/4ths BAB.
No actual spell-casting, but at 1st level gain access to one domain of which aligns with your chosen element. Gain one additional fitting domain at 4th level and every 4 after that. Use the spells in the domain as Invocations, SLA's useable at will.

Earth Bender
Earth Domain
Artifice domain
Strength Domain
Plant Domain

Water Bender
Water Domain
Ocean Domain
Cold Domain
Healing Domain

Fire Bender
Fire Domain
Destruction Domain
Glory Domain
Sun Domain

Air Bender
Air Domain
Weather Domain
Travel Domain

There are more available, I'm just reading off the Pathfinder SRD. You can decide to include either PF or 3.x domains, though a mix might work too; you'll just have to be careful with balance issues.

Might also make sense to switch the required stat for the ability to cast and set the DC's, Wisdom for Water, Constitution for Earth, Charisma for Fire and Dexterity for Air.

Feralventas
2012-02-13, 03:48 PM
Addendum:

Progression through each Domain progresses at normal full-casting progression. (Bard progression if you'd rather keep things lower-powered or lower-magic for the setting or balance purposes).

So, 1st domain progresses normally from 1-20 as per Cleric's access to their domain. 2nd domain functions the same, but at -4. 3rd domain at -8 and so on.

Substituting Sorcerer bloodlines might also work, though this seemed like it might not fit the ATLA fluff and setting.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-02-13, 03:55 PM
Psh, Sokka's a Warblade/Bloodstorm Blade all the way.

Tashalatora monk/kineticists with Expanded Talent (Claw of Energy and Weapon of Energy) works for firebenders. I have no idea what to do for the rest. Using the firebender build but with sonic damage would work for airbenders, sorta kinda.

My favorite homebrew version is here (http://theanteheroes.com/Avatar%20d20/BendingChapter.pdf).

Kansaschaser
2012-02-13, 04:24 PM
Earth Bender
Earth Domain
Artifice domain
Strength Domain
Plant Domain

Water Bender
Water Domain
Ocean Domain
Cold Domain
Healing Domain

Fire Bender
Fire Domain
Destruction Domain
Glory Domain
Sun Domain

Air Bender
Air Domain
Weather Domain
Travel Domain

These domains don't really cover some of the abilities they were able to do in the TV show. Plus, some of the spells attached to each domain give them MORE abilities than they should be able to do.

Lets take the Air Domain for example. In the Air Domain, you get Chain Lightning. Since when did Air Benders get the ability to summon lightning? That should be the realm of the Fire Benders.

Chronos
2012-02-13, 04:33 PM
Swordsage (using the Desert Wind school) works perfectly, right out of the box, for firebending (in fact I suspect that that was one of the inspirations for the book). It's probably also the best for earthbending (using Stone Dragon), though you might argue for Warblade instead. Air and water bending aren't precisely modeled by anything in D&D, though if you're going to homebrew something there I'd recommend psionic.

tuesdayscoming
2012-02-13, 04:50 PM
I present you, sir, with everything you will ever need (http://theanteheroes.com/Avatar%20d20/BendingChapter.pdf).

Kansaschaser
2012-02-13, 05:09 PM
I present you, sir, with everything you will ever need (http://theanteheroes.com/Avatar%20d20/BendingChapter.pdf).

Wow, that's amazing. That looks like it will cover everything I need. Has anyone used this book before in their D&D game? If so, how well do the classes stack up against standard classes in D&D?

Hiro Protagonest
2012-02-13, 05:15 PM
...How the heck did both of you miss that I linked it?

My favorite homebrew version is here (http://theanteheroes.com/Avatar%20d20/BendingChapter.pdf).

gallagher
2012-02-13, 05:38 PM
I was hoping you were referring to a certain bending unit from the year 3000

tuesdayscoming
2012-02-13, 05:54 PM
Wow, that's amazing. That looks like it will cover everything I need. Has anyone used this book before in their D&D game? If so, how well do the classes stack up against standard classes in D&D?

My friend Kathryn is playing an Air Bender in a game we're playing right now. Honestly, I'm not sure that we're playing everything perfectly in-line with the RAW, but it is working out very well so far. Well balanced, and with a terrifically distinctive style.

Still likely to outshine the weaker core classes, but less world-dominatingly powerful than your standard T1 class.

...How the heck did both of you miss that I linked it?

Whoops! Sorry, Jade Dragon!

Flickerdart
2012-02-13, 05:59 PM
Warforged Drunken Mas- wait, no. Wrong Bender.

Rubik
2012-02-13, 08:49 PM
Human paragon 3/Dr. Frankenfurter 5.

grarrrg
2012-02-13, 09:10 PM

^ This is what yo- wait, no. Wrong Bender.

navar100
2012-02-13, 11:34 PM
I was going to suggest Sorcerer using Word Magic, but since there's a whole home brew dedicated to the idea might as well go with that.

Kansaschaser
2012-02-14, 08:58 AM

^ This is what yo- wait, no. Wrong Bender.

Haha. I was thinking people might think that's what "Bender" I was asking about. I do love that show. John DiMaggio is awesome.

Bender Bending Rodriguez - Warforged Rogue 6 / Drunken Master 10