PDA

View Full Version : Dragonborn/Werewolf

elvengunner69
2012-02-13, 05:14 PM
Soooo...

Might be a quick and easy question...Can a bitten Dragonborn be turned into some sort of Dragonborn/Werewolf hybrid or is there some restriction preventing this from happening.

In our current campaign a Dragonborn Cleric got bit by a Werewolf and failed his fort save. Does he become a Howling Lizard with furry ears and dragon breath?

Just wondering - thanks Playground!

Rubik
2012-02-13, 05:18 PM
It depends entirely on what his original race was. Dragonborn are humanoid (dragonblood), but apparently warforged and other non-humanoids keep their original type and subtypes and gain the dragonblooded subtype.

If he started out as a dwarf or a minotaur, he could catch lycanthropy.

If he started out as a warforged, then no.

Do note that he loses the racial abilities of lycanthropy if he goes dragonborn AFTER catching it.

elvengunner69
2012-02-13, 05:18 PM
It depends entirely on what his original race was. Dragonborn are humanoid (dragonblood), but apparently warforged and other non-humanoids keep their original type and subtypes and gain the dragonblooded subtype.

If he started out as a dwarf or a minotaur, he could catch lycanthropy.

If he started out as a warforged, then no.

I think he started as a Human but I'm not 100% sure.

Rubik
2012-02-13, 05:19 PM
I think he started as a Human but I'm not 100% sure.I edited my original comment:

Do note that he loses the racial abilities of lycanthropy if he goes dragonborn AFTER catching it.

Chronos
2012-02-13, 05:19 PM
Dragonborn are humanoid (dragonblood), but apparently warforged and other non-humanoids keep their original type and subtypes and gain the dragonblooded subtype.
That's not actually clear from the book. Coincidentally, I was just about to ask about that in the simple Q&A thread.

Cog
2012-02-13, 05:20 PM
Dragonborn keep their type, so if the base race was humanoid or giant, the character can indeed become a lycanthrope. The hybrid form would be a mix of reptilian and lupine; the animal form would still be as much of a wolf as any other werewolf's, though.

ExemplarofAvg
2012-02-13, 07:33 PM
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t222/StephenNix44/Adventure%20Quest%20Pedia%20Pictures/Nightbanepic.jpg

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/894/wolfwingfo3.jpg

Prime32
2012-02-13, 08:09 PM
That's not actually clear from the book. Coincidentally, I was just about to ask about that in the simple Q&A thread.The book states it explicitly in a sidebar, but that sidebar doesn't appear in the version online.

elvengunner69
2012-02-13, 10:12 PM
So is becoming a Werewolf really a curse (at least in Game - I'm sure in real life it might suck) but all the people that were bit (3 of our party) are all now these hybrid werewolf creatures and those of us that made our saves (damn Crusader builds!) basically get penalized for make a save. :smalleek:

Seems odd but ah well - I have 2 levels of Paladin so I'm guessing if I witness a transformation and 'detect evil' I'm going to have to go all Rambo on them (The DM had them go through a transformation process where they were able to control the disease/curse to an extent - I'm guessing this is homebrewed/microbrewed).

Chronos
2012-02-13, 10:16 PM
But the sidebar conflicts with the body of the text, which says they're humanoids.

onemorelurker
2012-02-14, 12:32 AM
So is becoming a Werewolf really a curse (at least in Game - I'm sure in real life it might suck) but all the people that were bit (3 of our party) are all now these hybrid werewolf creatures and those of us that made our saves (damn Crusader builds!) basically get penalized for make a save. :smalleek:

Seems odd but ah well - I have 2 levels of Paladin so I'm guessing if I witness a transformation and 'detect evil' I'm going to have to go all Rambo on them (The DM had them go through a transformation process where they were able to control the disease/curse to an extent - I'm guessing this is homebrewed/microbrewed).

Keep in mind that Werewolves have an LA and racial hit dice. If it doesn't make sense for the characters to gain their werewolf stuff over several levels, talk to your DM about getting something for you and the other party members to balance out what the others are getting from being werewolves.

Beowulf DW
2012-02-14, 12:35 AM
Well it's quite simple, really. All you have to do is join the Companions and...

...I've been playing way too much Skyrim. I'm gonna go lay down, now.

Marnath
2012-02-14, 12:50 AM
Seems odd but ah well - I have 2 levels of Paladin so I'm guessing if I witness a transformation and 'detect evil' I'm going to have to go all Rambo on them

That's not how it works. You're not allowed to associate with the evil. If you just went around killing evil people you'd be breaking the law since not all evil people have done something illegal.

Heliomance
2012-02-14, 07:48 AM
Well it's quite simple, really. All you have to do is join the Companions and...

...I've been playing way too much Skyrim. I'm gonna go lay down, now.

I was wondering how long it would be before someone said that. If no-one had, I was going to ^^

Greenish
2012-02-14, 08:03 AM

Seems odd but ah well - I have 2 levels of Paladin so I'm guessing if I witness a transformation and 'detect evil' I'm going to have to go all Rambo on them (The DM had them go through a transformation process where they were able to control the disease/curse to an extent - I'm guessing this is homebrewed/microbrewed).Depending on how Dragonborn is fluffed in the setting, Bahamut might yank the template back if he suddenly becomes Chaotic Evil (and acts like it).

Also, I don't think microbrewing means anything in the context of making houserules.

But the sidebar conflicts with the body of the text, which says they're humanoids.The text might refer to body shape. 3.5 isn't always consistent on that.

Person_Man
2012-02-14, 09:30 AM

Lycanthropy is great in the short term, but it's terrible in the long term. Compare a Wizard 7 to a Wizard 3 Werewolf. The Wizard 10 can cast 3rd and 4th level spells (Polymorph, Solid Fog, Black Tentacles, etc) whereas the Wizard 3 casts 2nd level spells and is half-decent at melee. This holds true for basically any Tier 3 or higher class.

Thurbane
2012-02-14, 03:06 PM
But the sidebar conflicts with the body of the text, which says they're humanoids.
It's clarified in the official FAQ.

Can a warforged become a dragonborn of Bahamut,
and if so what are the racial traits it keeps from the
warforged list?
Despite the misleading entry in the dragonborn racial traits
that suggests that all dragonborn are humanoids, the only
prerequisites for being reborn in this manner are a non-evil
alignment and an Intelligence of 3 or better. Thus, there’s
nothing stopping a warforged from undergoing this ritual and
dedicating himself to the service of Bahamut.
A warforged who becomes a dragonborn would be a
construct with the living construct and dragonblood subtypes.
He’d retain his warforged ability score modifiers and favored
class.
He’d also retain all traits derived from the living construct
subtype, including immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis,
disease, nausea, fatigue, exhaustion, and energy drain; inability
to heal damage naturally; vulnerability to certain metal- or
wood-affecting spells; and half effect from healing spells. He’d
still become inert at –1 to –9 hp, and he still wouldn’t need to
eat, sleep, or breathe.

Chronos
2012-02-14, 04:59 PM
OK, that settles that, then. And as an aside, that's a pretty sweet racial package.

elvengunner69
2012-02-14, 10:56 PM
That's not how it works. You're not allowed to associate with the evil. If you just went around killing evil people you'd be breaking the law since not all evil people have done something illegal.

Sorry I simplified it too much - I guess if they went around and ate people v. forest creatures (like Deer for instance) then as a Paladin/Crusader I would have to take action...

The way the DM microbrewed it is by giving them some werewolf abilities - they went through a few nights of trying to control the transformation - all but one of the succeeded (ironically it was the Dragonborn that failed and needs to attempt again next moon).

They basically made two different saves 1 for alignment (to keep whatever alignment they currently have) 2 to control the change

all of them made the alignment saves but the Dragonborn didn't make the 'control the change one' - he can try again the next full moon cycle.