PDA

View Full Version : Skirmish clarification

umbergod
2012-02-13, 06:13 PM
Skirmish only functions if you move at least 10 feet. I get that, but what it seems vague on is, can you be mounted, and have you mount move while you do a full ranged attack, and still gain the benefit of skirmish?

Medic!
2012-02-13, 06:16 PM
From the Errata:
[The Scout] deals an extra 1d6 points of damage on all attacks she
makes during any round in which she moves at least 10
feet away from where she was at the start of her turn.
The extra damage applies only to attacks made after the
scout has moved at least 10 feet. The skirmish ability
cannot be used while mounted.

umbergod
2012-02-13, 06:17 PM
From the Errata:

Well, that makes scouts nigh useless for my character concept. Thanks for clearing that up for me though :)

Lord Ruby34
2012-02-13, 06:55 PM
Most people would suggest ignoring the errata though, your DM would probably waive it if you asked him.

hex0
2012-02-13, 07:12 PM
From the Errata:

Why though?

Coidzor
2012-02-13, 07:26 PM
From the Errata:

Why though?

MeleeMundanes can't have nice things. Also, they saw the Mounted Scout ACF/Variant Class in Dragon Magazine and got their panties in a twist.

The real clarification about Skirmish is this: Ignore the mount errata, take the feat wild cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a). Be happy.

In such a case, yes, OP, the mount's move would activate skirmish for you. Really though, mounted combat has a number of areas that need to be houseruled so that they actually work upon examination.

Like, say, charging on a mount with a lance. Does it work? Is it supposed to work? Because by RAW it makes it so that you have to attack when the mount finishes its charge, which means unless the mount has reach, it's going to be inside the lance's reach. And if you stop and attack in the square from which you can attack with the lance, that would prevent the mount from attacking and thus prevent the charge from completing.

umbergod
2012-02-13, 10:02 PM
MeleeMundanes can't have nice things. Also, they saw the Mounted Scout ACF/Variant Class in Dragon Magazine and got their panties in a twist.

The real clarification about Skirmish is this: Ignore the mount errata, take the feat wild cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a). Be happy.

In such a case, yes, OP, the mount's move would activate skirmish for you. Really though, mounted combat has a number of areas that need to be houseruled so that they actually work upon examination.

yeah, I plan on taking wild cohort. my idea is a goblin bounty hunter who rides a wolf or a worg.

nyjastul69
2012-02-14, 02:45 AM
Why though?

Mostly because the Scout hasn't moved, only the mount has. A scout needs to move, not be moved.

Person_Man
2012-02-14, 12:53 PM
My most beloved of all PCs was a Kobold Scout with no multi-classing or PrC in a very low optimization group. So regardless of what you pick, if you enjoy roleplaying and are creative, you can have a good time.

Having said that, the class itself is mostly garbage, and virtually all of it's class abilities can be better duplicated via other means. So I suggest you choose anything else in it's place, especially if you want to play a mounted build.

Psyren
2012-02-14, 12:56 PM
If the mount thing doesn't fly, just use swift-action moves like Anklets of Translocation/Travel Devotion/Dimension Hop etc.

Red_Dog
2012-02-14, 06:48 PM
I always though if you want to make a scout for a medium OP game, => Go

1]Swift Hunter with teleportation items & Quicksilver boots

2]Psychic Warrior or better yet War Mind with Hustle. Swift action to get extra move action. Issue SOLVED. You might end up a bit MAD, but should be ok. For additional Flavor(not necessarily effectivness) go for Elocater. He gets a LOT of psychoportation stuff. Like Teleport & plane Shift as lvl3 power.

3]Int SAD Factotum 3/Wizard[Conjurer] 1/Swashbuckler 3/ W/e else
Could be Scout 4/Ranger 9(or 7, if multiclassing is in effect, will need wizard 3)
with Abrupt Jaunt.
In this silliness you will rely on AbsurdAbrupt Jaunt and some other lowlevel cheap spells to be a complete &^#hole and zip around. You'll add your Int to almost EVERYTHING there is to add it to. You will laso probably be THE best skill monkey in the party.

This build however is best started after 12. As early level might feel patchy.

================================================>
So yeah, as usual the answer to your troubles with melee/range attackers is "Add Magic/Psychic Gishing" = ]

I am not sure if ToB has good ways to get extra moves. I remember swift action jump using Tiger Claw, 3 Shadowhand ports and that's all I remember. I am sure there is more.

Psyren
2012-02-14, 06:56 PM
I recommend Dimension Hop over Hustle myself; it's much cheaper and works regardless of terrain. You can also get it without a level dip (just grab Hidden Talent, and even Psionic Talent if you need more uses/day.)

Red_Dog
2012-02-14, 07:18 PM
I recommend Dimension Hop over Hustle myself; it's much cheaper and works regardless of terrain. You can also get it without a level dip (just grab Hidden Talent, and even Psionic Talent if you need more uses/day.)

I think if you are going to Warmind with Hidden Talent, you can haz both! ^^

Psyren
2012-02-14, 08:43 PM
I think if you are going to Warmind with Hidden Talent, you can haz both! ^^

IF he's going to War Mind, then yes. The nice thing about HT:DH is that it fits with scouts regardless of build/level makeup.