PDA

View Full Version : Early Level Telflammor Shadowlord?

hex0
2012-02-13, 06:52 PM
So...Some DMs start their players at level 1 or 2 with higher WBL or free LA or two. So, theoretically a player can start with the shadow walker template and start as a Telflammor Shadow Lord without taking any class levels?

Thoughts? Anyone do this?

JadePhoenix
2012-02-13, 07:13 PM
The shadowlord template only removed the dimension door requirement.

hex0
2012-02-13, 07:22 PM
The shadowlord template only removed the dimension door requirement.

The shadow walker template over-rides all the other prereqs.

JadePhoenix
2012-02-13, 07:32 PM
The shadow walker template over-rides all the other prereqs.

No it does not.

Race: The character must possess the shadow-walker template, which is conferred by a special rite consecrated to Mask (see Chapter 6: Monsters of the East). Members in good standing of the Shadowmasters guild can arrange for the rite of transformation by gifting 2,000 gp to Mask’s temple in Telflamm; others must give at least 10,000 gp and perform a service of some kind for the clerics of Mask. A character who is not a shadow-walker can still qualify for the Telflammar shadowlord prestige class, but he must meet the spellcasting
requirement below.
Emphasis mine.
Further down, making things even more clear, we have the following.

Spellcasting: If the character is not a shadow-walker, he must either possess the ability to shadow jump (as the shadowdancer prestige class ability) or be able to cast dimension door as a spell or spell-like ability.
Again, emphasis mine.

Rossebay
2012-02-13, 07:57 PM
Ahhh, I see. Yeah, you simply don't need the casting as a Shadow-Walker, but you need the other pre-reqs. I wondered this myself too.

Tvtyrant
2012-02-13, 08:55 PM
Shadow Walker Kobold that uses that ritual which grants it casting as a 1st level Sorcerer?

JadePhoenix
2012-02-13, 09:01 PM
Shadow Walker Kobold that uses that ritual which grants it casting as a 1st level Sorcerer?

Well, I really think you should read the Shadowlord's description on UE. I didn't list all of the requirements.

Tvtyrant
2012-02-13, 09:05 PM
Well, I really think you should read the Shadowlord's description on UE. I didn't list all of the requirements.

I don't own UE :P I was just suggesting how the OP could match what you have up there.

herrhauptmann
2012-02-13, 10:04 PM
So...Some DMs start their players at level 1 or 2 with higher WBL or free LA or two. So, theoretically a player can start with the shadow walker template and start as a Telflammor Shadow Lord without taking any class levels?

Thoughts? Anyone do this?

So you want to have a template, but be 0th level?
How in the world would that work? Would you be just a commoner?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-02-13, 10:28 PM
So you want to have a template, but be 0th level?
How in the world would that work? Would you be just a commoner?

You would have to pick a creature that has one racial HD, and that will get replaced by your first class level.

Considering Telflammar Shadowlord requires Hide and Move Silently 10 ranks each, four feats including Spring Attack which itself requires a +4 BAB, 2d6 Sneak Attack, and any one of: Shadow-Walker template or Shadow Jump as per Shadowdancer or Dimension Door as a spell or spell-like ability... I seriously doubt you'll be qualifying for it on only a single racial HD.

hex0
2012-02-14, 08:15 PM
Ah I was thinking the Shadowwalker Template overrode ALL the prereqs. :smallmad:

But still getting it for level 8 isn't bad either. :smallamused:

JadePhoenix
2012-02-14, 09:14 PM
Ah I was thinking the Shadowwalker Template overrode ALL the prereqs. :smallmad:

But still getting it for level 8 isn't bad either. :smallamused:

Actually, unless you have free LA, shadow walker template is a horrible choice, since it costs you Con and a hit dice. You can get dimension door from a dragonmark (though that's crossing settings) or a soulmeld quite easily.
Also, I just noticed the shadow walker template costs money, so you couldn't get it at first level anyway, even if it did override all requirements.

hex0
2012-02-15, 07:45 PM
Also, I just noticed the shadow walker template costs money, so you couldn't get it at first level anyway, even if it did override all requirements.

Which is why I mentioned in my first post that I'm balancing it with DMs that give free LA and/or high WBL...