PDA

View Full Version : Exotic Elementals

phantomreader42
2012-02-13, 11:24 PM
With the trek to the Plane of Ranch Dressing, I'm thinking on odd varieties of elemental. Of course, this includes Redcloak's passing grade in chemistry. I'm not sure where to start on this, but I'm thinking two mutually-exclusive prestige classes, each of which involves giving up the ability to summon the classic elementals in exchange for gaining access to either those based on real elements, or something tastier.

I can't be the first who's thought of recreating the Titanium elementals, has anyone got stats on them? I'm not sure how to flesh these ideas out.

"Educated Elementalist"
This is for those who got a passing grade in Chemistry
Entry requirements: ability to summon an elemental, ranks in Craft(alchemy), Int 14
At first level, lose access to normal elementals, and gain access to Oxygen, Nitrogen, and Iron.
Later, learn to banish impure elementals (extra bonus when banishing fire, as it's not even close to an element)
And add more elementals like Neon, Hydrogen, Mercury, Titanium, and Chlorine

Oxygen: Acts like air, but can be summoned underwater and used as a breathing device. Also causes fire spells in its presence to be stronger.
Nitrogen: Acts like air, but anyone engulfed cannot breathe due to lack of oxygen, weakens fire reactions for the same reason.
Iron: Acts like earth, maybe stronger and tougher, but possibly slower and easily destroyed with rust effects.
Neon: Much like Nitrogen, but glows brightly when exposed to electricity
Hydrogen: Like Nitrogen, but extremely flammable, exposure to fire will result in death, a giant fireball, and an angry water elemental. Can be combined with an Oxygen elemental to exploit this reaction for greater effect.
Titanium: Like Iron, but much lighter, faster, and immune to rust
Chlorine: Like Nitrogen, but is actively toxic if breathed, and can leave behind a toxic cloud when defeated
Mercury: Being liquid, behaves like a water elemental (relative density may affect strength and speed). Can drown a target, even if they get free the mercury in their system can be deadly.
Radioactive elementals would probably be dangerously overpowered, especially if they can go critical on a crit.

"Edible Elementalist"
For something more tasty
Entry requirements: ability to summon an elemental, ranks in Profession(chef or Gourmet Chef), Cha 14
At first level, lose access to normal elementals (except maybe water)
Gain access to food-based elementals like Ranch Dressing (like water, but stronger and slower, and opaque), Ice Cream (cold), Flambe (on fire), Champagne (wet and intoxicating), Taffy (stretchy, good grapple, zombie-like DR), Chicken Soup (much like water, has the side effect of curing sniffles), Crouton (earthlike, lightweight so fast and weak)

Mystify
2012-02-14, 04:40 PM
Radiative elementals can work just fine. Don't think of them as potential nukes; it is actually very difficult to get a chunk of uranium to make a nuclear explosion.
You can have things like a radiative aura; fort save or take damage when nearby
They can also have a half-life, and decrease in health(and radiation damage) over time, to balance them against a potentially higher baseline.

Prime32
2012-02-14, 05:00 PM
Oxygen: Acts like air, but can be summoned underwater and used as a breathing device.If you can do that, why couldn't you summon an air elemental underwater and use it as a breathing device? Doesn't oxygen dissolve in water anyway? :smallconfused:

Radiative elementals can work just fine. Don't think of them as potential nukes; it is actually very difficult to get a chunk of uranium to make a nuclear explosion.Yep, most of the uranium found in nature isn't fissile, and a uranium elemental would presumably follow the normal ratios.
What you need to do is forget elementals and learn how to summon a uranium-235 isotopic. :smalltongue:

TuggyNE
2012-02-14, 08:09 PM
If you can do that, why couldn't you summon an air elemental underwater and use it as a breathing device? Doesn't oxygen dissolve in water anyway? :smallconfused:

Bends, anyone? The nitrogen in air has very unfortunate effects when forced into the bloodstream at high pressure and then allowed to depressurize rapidly. (I don't think most adventurers would be happy about having to make decompression stops at carefully calculated intervals and durations.)

While some oxygen dissolves into water, it's not infinitely soluble, so I'd say it's at least vaguely practical to allow a large oxygen elemental to provide breathing for a while, even underwater. And who knows, perhaps the elemental uses innate magic to impose a barrier between itself and the water!

Oh, and anyone want a Magnesium or Sodium elemental? :smalltongue:

Shadow Lord
2012-02-15, 11:53 AM
You fail chemistry; we can't breathe pure oxygen.I think

radmelon
2012-02-15, 12:22 PM

Well you can, briefly... :smallwink:

OblivionBlade
2012-02-15, 12:29 PM
What? no antimatter elementals summoning at 20+ int?

Phosphate
2012-02-15, 12:37 PM

Yes we can, and breathing pure oxygen feels just like breathing normally. It makes you faint (if you're lucky) but that's besides the point.

Anyway, OP, pretty nice initiative, keep on with those. It's also a cool idea since you can have chemical reactions leading to stronger elementals.

phantomreader42
2012-02-15, 01:22 PM

i'm actually not sure if one can breathe pure oxygen, having never tried, though I've heard of "oxygen bars". I AM sure one cannot breathe pure nitrogen, hydrogen, neon, or anything else that contains no oxygen.

Mostly I was thinking of how a sentient volume of a pure gas other than oxygen would affect breathing, giving a suffocation attack, as opposed to the Chlorine elemental, which acts as an inhaled poison.

phantomreader42
2012-02-15, 01:23 PM
What? no antimatter elementals summoning at 20+ int?

Given the range of summoning spells, and how antimatter reacts with matter, even a small one of those would be likely to instantly kill the summoner.

I'll leave it to someone else to implement "suicide as combat tactic".

phantomreader42
2012-02-15, 01:27 PM
Anyway, OP, pretty nice initiative, keep on with those. It's also a cool idea since you can have chemical reactions leading to stronger elementals.

Another thought I've had is what would happen if a Sodium and Chlorine elemental were struck by lightning (ionized). And how electricity would effect a conductive being.

Another neat option: the ability to summon elementals in a different phase than normal, like liquid nitrogen or molten iron. They'd be unstable but extremely powerful.

Also, gotta come up with something for a Diamond elemental (pure crystallized carbon).

Prime32
2012-02-16, 10:10 PM
Given the range of summoning spells, and how antimatter reacts with matter, even a small one of those would be likely to instantly kill the summoner.

I'll leave it to someone else to implement "suicide as combat tactic".Contingent Otiluke's resilient sphere. :smallcool:

Also, nitrogen elemental must be liquid, because that's sciencier. :smalltongue: