PDA

View Full Version : Fallen Angel's Descent! (3.5 Vile Feat, PEACH)

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-14, 12:44 AM
http://images.wikia.com/digimon/es/images/7/72/Shadow_serphimon.jpg

Fallen Angel's Descent (Vile)
Prerequisite: Must have personally defeated an outsider with the [Archon] or [Angel] subtype in one-on-one combat, and slaughtered that creature
Benefit: Choose an outsider with the [Angel] or [Archon] subtype that you personally defeated and killed in one-on-one combat. You gain the ability to, as a standard action once per day per 4 HD (minimum 1/day), assume the form of the creature you chose. This ability otherwise functions as the Alternate Form ability, except that you gain the creature's spell-like and supernatural abilities as well. Any spell-like or supernatural abilities with a mechanic involving the morality axis of alignment, such as Smite Evil or holy word, are treated as the opposite for you. (Smite Evil would become Smite Good, holy word would become blasphemy, etc).

Using an Evil version of the creature's Good abilities (as described above) immediately blows your cover. You lose your +10 bonus to your Disguise checks made to pretend to be that creature when interacting with all creatures who witnessed your corrupted abilities. However, this feature is not without its benefits. If you, while wearing the guise of an archon or angel, use a corrupted version of that creatures abilities while a Good outsider is within 60 feet and can see and hear you, that creature must make a Will save, DC 10+1/2 your HD+your Charisma modifier, or be shaken for the duration of your current use of the feat. Additionally, if you use such an ability to affect or target an outsider with the Good alignment, that creature must make a Fortitude save (DC 10+1/2 your HD+your Charisma modifier) or be sickened for the duration of your current use of this feat.

This ability lasts for 10 minutes. However, you can consume all your daily uses of the ability in order to make the transformation last for one hour per HD instead. (This requires all your daily uses, not just your remaining ones. If you have 20 HD, you must expend 5 daily uses of this ability in order to assume the creature's form for 20 hours. If you only have 4 uses left, you may not assume the creature's form for any longer than 10 minutes with each use).

You may, through a bloody and dark ritual, change the creature whose form you are able to assume with this feat. The ritual takes 24 hours and the new form must be meet the prerequisites of this feat (You must have fought one in single combat and killed it).

Using this ritual permanently strips you of one daily use of this feat (and thus, you must be at least 4 HD to perform the ritual). It also lowers the requirement to shift for 1 hour/level to your new maximum. You may perform this ritual up to 4 times, each time selecting a new angel or archon form, and each time permanently losing a daily use of this feat.

Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time, you may choose another creature with the [Archon] or [Angel] subtype that you personally defeated and killed in one-on-one combat.

Blue Ghost
2012-02-14, 02:52 AM
Very interesting and flavorful. I'll let more experienced gamers critique it. Right now, minor nitpick: The evil counterpart to holy word would be blasphemy, not unholy blight. :smallsmile:

Milo v3
2012-02-14, 06:55 AM
I like it, especially since it scales with level. More feats should do it in my opinion.

Don't really get the image though.

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-14, 12:36 PM
Very interesting and flavorful. I'll let more experienced gamers critique it. Right now, minor nitpick: The evil counterpart to holy word would be blasphemy, not unholy blight. :smallsmile:

Fixed, thanks.

Don't really get the image though.

The idea comes from Digimon Frontier, in which Mercuremon slaughtered Seraphimon and then later used that data to change his form into the image shown above, BlackSeraphimon. He is able to use his own technique called "Seven Hells", which is a corrupted version of Seraphimon's "Seven Heavens".

Prime32
2012-02-14, 09:27 PM
The idea comes from Digimon Frontier, in which Mercuremon slaughtered Seraphimon and then later used that data to change his form into the image shown above, BlackSeraphimon. He is able to use his own technique called "Seven Hells", which is a corrupted version of Seraphimon's "Seven Heavens".Yup, a Champion one-shotting a Mega by reflecting his own attack back at him, when said attack previously failed to kill Champions. Mercurimon is broken. :smallmad::smalltongue:

Kane0
2012-02-14, 09:55 PM
Its a Vile feat but you don't have to be evil to take it?

That said even if my good aligned character slaughtered an archon id totally assume its form :smallbiggrin:

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-15, 02:10 AM
Its a Vile feat but you don't have to be evil to take it?

That said even if my good aligned character slaughtered an archon id totally assume its form :smallbiggrin:

You have to be Evil to qualify for any Vile feat, and Good to qualify for any Exalted feat.

Arbitrarious
2012-02-15, 05:24 PM
Seems really cool. I'm just worried about the fact that this feat can give a wealth of spell-likes, possibly even the dreaded wish if you can get the jump on a solar. Or heaven forbid gating the one of your choice in and killing it. I would tone down the access to spell likes, perhaps using the half-celestial list as just a default. still very strong for a feat, but consistently strong without anything too game breaking.

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-15, 05:34 PM
Seems really cool. I'm just worried about the fact that this feat can give a wealth of spell-likes, possibly even the dreaded wish if you can get the jump on a solar. Or heaven forbid gating the one of your choice in and killing it. I would tone down the access to spell likes, perhaps using the half-celestial list as just a default. still very strong for a feat, but consistently strong without anything too game breaking.

If you kill manage to kill a solar, good for you. And if you can already gate them in, you're not really gaining anything by having the SLAs yourself. You get a little bit more control out of it, but you also have to spend a feat on it.

Arbitrarious
2012-02-15, 06:12 PM
If you kill manage to kill a solar, good for you. And if you can already gate them in, you're not really gaining anything by having the SLAs yourself. You get a little bit more control out of it, but you also have to spend a feat on it.

Well you are dodging the exp cost for gating them in again, ignoring wish economics. :smallwink: It's just so many potential spell-likes for a single feat. Like I said it's a cool idea, I'm just leery of that much variable power in a single feat.

Benly
2012-02-15, 06:43 PM
It would be nice to have an option to swap out your alternate form for a different one rather than taking the feat several times so you're not stuck with a feat spent on Hound Archon form by the time you've moved up to murdering devas and planetars, but it's a pretty small nitpick and I can see a narrative case against it.

Arbitrarious
2012-02-15, 06:48 PM
Some kind of ritual where you bath in the blood, consume the flesh/soul, offer as tribute to your dark lord the slain celestial perhaps? That would fulfill an ingame reason you could UG celestials, keeping it relevant. No one wants to be a lantern archon after all.

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-18, 02:04 AM
Some kind of ritual where you bath in the blood, consume the flesh/soul, offer as tribute to your dark lord the slain celestial perhaps? That would fulfill an ingame reason you could UG celestials, keeping it relevant. No one wants to be a lantern archon after all.

You were the one who said you didn't like that much variable power in a feat. Being able to spend a first level feat slot in order to assume the form of a lantern archon, then later changing that feat slot to allow you to morph into a solar is pretty heavy in terms of "variable power".

I'm happy with it the way it is. One feat, one celestial form. Plenty of power, very little flexibility.

Arbitrarious
2012-02-18, 05:38 PM
By making it so you can upgrade it it means that the feat stays relevant through you career rather then seeming like a poor low level choice and that it actually evens the power curve since anyone who has the same feat has access, in theory, to the level appropriate forms rather then whatever was available when they took it. It's no different then a wizard who takes empower spell at level 5. It's not limited to working on the spells he could cast then, it will continue to useful his entire career.

Really the lantern archon sums up my issue. I can solo one at level 3 pretty easy, if prepared, and it nets me teleport without error usable at will. Of course that get's limited down to how often I can keep my feat up, but it's still awesome at level 3. If that is ok in your play group then enjoy it. It's a flavorful, unique option. It just wouldn't be ok in mine.

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-18, 05:52 PM
By making it so you can upgrade it it means that the feat stays relevant through you career rather then seeming like a poor low level choice and that it actually evens the power curve since anyone who has the same feat has access, in theory, to the level appropriate forms rather then whatever was available when they took it. It's no different then a wizard who takes empower spell at level 5. It's not limited to working on the spells he could cast then, it will continue to useful his entire career.

Really the lantern archon sums up my issue. I can solo one at level 3 pretty easy, if prepared, and it nets me teleport without error usable at will. Of course that get's limited down to how often I can keep my feat up, but it's still awesome at level 3. If that is ok in your play group then enjoy it. It's a flavorful, unique option. It just wouldn't be ok in mine.

Hmm...very well. Guess I'll add in an option for changing it then.

There we go! You can change it with a ritual, but not without a price! So it rewards someone who chooses to stay with their first form, while helping feat-starved builds preserve feats, and at the same time encouraging someone who wants a new form to take the feat again.

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-23, 10:18 AM
Yup, a Champion one-shotting a Mega by reflecting his own attack back at him, when said attack previously failed to kill Champions. Mercurimon is broken. :smallmad::smalltongue:

Well, I think Dark Reflection doubles the attack power of the one that it's reflected on, but yeah. Seraphimon should have at least taken out Arbormon or something before he went down. Stupid plot...

silphael
2012-02-23, 10:39 AM
And now that I saw that, I'm thinking to a whole bunch of "alike" feats, with

"Repentant power", an exalted feat asking to have defeated any fallen angel/archon/eladrin, granting the same power, with the power exchange as well.

"In the Name of Good!", same, with prerequisites being to have defeated a devil or a demon, or something like that...

DeAnno
2012-02-25, 12:31 AM
This is interesting in that glass cannon builds are the most likely to be able to 1v1 angels above their CR (possibly through stealth and surprise), and thus get a form with a lot of good defensive bonuses.

A fairly low level Kobold Sorc wouldn't have too hard a time sneaking up on a Solar, one shotting it to unconsciousness, and then beating it to death through its regeneration :smallsmile:

Of course, you need to find it alone...

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-25, 12:54 AM
This is interesting in that glass cannon builds are the most likely to be able to 1v1 angels above their CR (possibly through stealth and surprise), and thus get a form with a lot of good defensive bonuses.

A fairly low level Kobold Sorc wouldn't have too hard a time sneaking up on a Solar, one shotting it to unconsciousness, and then beating it to death through its regeneration :smallsmile:

Of course, you need to find it alone...

Seems pretty fair to me.