PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Magus - Straight 20 or multiclass/prestige?

Daftendirekt
2012-02-14, 03:57 AM
So, we just started our first pure Pathfinder game, and I decided to go with a Magus. We're doing 20 point buy and I went with a Human, STR-main:

18 str
12 dex
14 con
15 int
10 wis
7 cha

Wielding an urumi (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/urumi). Question is, are there any dips that are worth it? Also, are there any prestige classes that give anything better than what more levels of Magus already get. I figured I'd go at least 7 to get medium armor and the knowledge pool, but should I just go all the way to 20?

I am aware of Walter's guide, and it has zero advice on multiclassing or prestige classes, so please don't direct me there.

Corlindale
2012-02-14, 04:46 AM
Straight Magus is a perfectly fine build. As with most casters, you really need to gain a lot for prestige/multiclassing to be worth it, and there's not that many good options if you want to be a magus primarily. Also, Magus gains a lot of nice class features too, throughout their career. Their capstone is a little underwhelming, but the 19th level ability is very nice.

There aren't that many obvious prestige class choices. You can obviously qualify for Eldritch Knight easily, at level 7 right when you get medium armor, but I don't think the loss of class features is worth the slightly better BaB. Even though the EK capstone ability can be rather nice.

Wizard or sorceror can be decent 1-level dips, if you're in love with a particular bloodline arcana or school power.
1 level of admixture wizard, for example, will give you a lot of versatility with damage types. Or 1 level of foresight wizard will give you a good number of "pre-rolls" per day, useful when you are making lots of attacks/concentration checks. 1 level of one of the elemental-type sorcerors can give you a small damage boost with certain spells.

Krazzman
2012-02-14, 04:51 AM
Walter's guide is good, but as you said lacks some points. Furthermore it's PFS and not really Pathfinder.

A Strength base Magus is somewhat I tried to take off too. Aparently I liked the Blackblade archetype.

Some other combinations to consider:
Dex-Build, Scimitar fighting with Dex to hit, initiative, ac and dmg + since you probably are an elf then more int for spells.

Whip build (or other ranged melee weapon)
it could be a shocking experience (if you know what I mean).

The traits if allowed should focus to drop the level of your most adored spell: shocking grasp. Along with other metamagic feats it becomes actually a killing spell. On the other hand your build wants power attack and furious focus.

Yes taking 20 levels of magus is a viable action. He actually is a Gish in a Can. Multiclassing gimps your spell progression, arcane pool and so on. It could be viable to start the normal melee "goodness" but is probably inferior if you don't watch out. Prestige classes...probably a waste, Eldritch Knight could work out but seems to be inferior. Same for an Arcane Archer build.

Hope this helps.

jaybird
2012-02-14, 07:30 AM
If you're going with Shocking Grasp through a weapon, consider 1 level in Crossblooded Orc/Dragon for +2/dice on damage.

grarrrg
2012-02-14, 08:12 AM
Question is, are there any dips that are worth it? Also, are there any prestige classes that give anything better than what more levels of Magus already get. I figured I'd go at least 7 to get medium armor and the knowledge pool, but should I just go all the way to 20?

I am aware of Walter's guide, and it has zero advice on multiclassing or prestige classes, so please don't direct me there.

See the 2nd link in my signature, it's a work in progress, but its a start, just browse until something catches your eye.

CTrees
2012-02-14, 08:18 AM
If you're going with Shocking Grasp through a weapon, consider 1 level in Crossblooded Orc/Dragon for +2/dice on damage.

Huh, wow. So my first reaction was, "does that work? I mean, you're usually casting Shocking Grasp as a Magus spell, not a Sorceror spell, which could be different." Then I actually had the good sense to double check before posting, and yep, the orc and draconic bloodlines both just specify "whenever you cast a spell ____." So it would even improve, say, cleric or druid casting of spells not on the wizard/sorc list. Interesting!

Keneth
2012-02-14, 08:22 AM
I have to say that I haven't seen any worthwile dips except for this one:

If you're going with Shocking Grasp through a weapon, consider 1 level in Crossblooded Orc/Dragon for +2/dice on damage. And you need to be Wizard to justify to your DM how your ancestors managed to bump uglies with orcs and dragons.

A magus is a pretty exceptional tier 3 class that doesn't really need a dip into any other class because you don't want to miss out on any of the levels.

fryplink
2012-02-14, 08:42 AM
I have to say that I haven't seen any worthwile dips except for this one:
And you need to be Wizard to justify to your DM how your ancestors managed to bump uglies with orcs and dragons.

A magus is a pretty exceptional tier 3 class that doesn't really need a dip into any other class because you don't want to miss out on any of the levels.

After you bump uglies with a dragon, I can't imagine the orcs being in a position to deny you anything.

FMArthur
2012-02-14, 01:09 PM
The Magus relies entirely on its class features to distinguish itself from already-stronger class combinations, and really benefits from waiting til 11 for Improved Spell Recall and til 19 for Greater Spell Access. You don't have room for much else and I'm pretty sure that your Magus-advancing prestige class options in Arcane Archer and Eldritch Knight don't offer you much that you couldn't do with Magus, bar a small amount of extra BAB.

Daftendirekt
2012-02-14, 01:35 PM
Yeah, that's kind of what I figured out looking through everything. Thanks very much.

Vwrt
2016-05-13, 06:43 PM
I was contemplating dipping from Magus into Duellist. It doesn't give you any magical boost at all, so if you want to maximize your spell use there's nothing to recommend it, but it's designed for your one handed sword style. Every level of Duellist you take up to your intelligence modifier gives you not only a +1 BAB, bigger hit die and decent range of skills, but also a point of armour class and damage (when fighting things with discernible anatomies) through Canny Defence and Precise Strike, with other useful goodies as well beyond first level. Duellist also bolsters your weaker Reflex saves. Combine it with the Magical Knack trait from the Advanced Player's Guide and your caster level still goes up as well for the first two levels. Less magic, more killing?

Of course, that was when I was only looking at the three books I physically have here, and didn't know about the existence of things like the Swashbuckler class and the ability to use Magus Arcana to borrow Deeds from it and so on, which is clearly a better way to go to reach some of the same goals. One of the upsides to joining a community to talk with people about things like this is that you get to tap into a deeper well of people who know all of the material in the game that may be unfamiliar to you personally. Now it looks like it's straight magus all the way for me, and I'm glad I hadn't already invested in feats I would have needed for my experiment.

meemaas
2016-05-13, 08:53 PM
My choice to prestige with Magus is Duellist. It doesn't give you any magical boost at all, so if you want to maximize your spell use there's nothing to recommend it, but it's designed for your one handed sword style. Every level of Duellist you take up to your intelligence modifier gives you not only a +1 BAB, bigger hit die and decent range of skills, but also a point of armour class and damage (when fighting things with discernible anatomies) through Canny Defence and Precise Strike, with other useful goodies as well beyond first level. Duellist also bolsters your weaker Reflex saves. Combine it with the Magical Knack trait from the Advanced Player's Guide and your caster level still goes up as well for the first two levels. It's only good if you like the lighter armour approach and aren't looking to plate up, but this is the experiment I intend to perform with my Tiefling Magus; I expect to take my first level of Duellist at 9th or 10th and then go back and forth for a few levels. Less magic, more killing.

First, it is never a good idea to prestige Magus into Duelist. Never. You can take the Kensai archetype and get Canny Defense and better damage dealing goodies than Duelist ever could give you.

Secondly. Necromancy is frowned upon here.

Florian
2016-05-14, 01:38 AM
worth it?

First, look at Kurald Galains guide found on this forum. Itīs pretty much up to date.
Second, look up the possible Magus archetypes. The right archetype choice is more important than dipping or PrCing in Pathfinder.

As for PrC, thereīre not many that are really worth sacrificing or delaying the basic Magus class feature advancement. You can potentially fool around with Agent of the Grave a bit, Evangelist is nearly always worth it and if youīre into mounted combat/shocking grasp with a lance, a short dip into Mammoth Rider can be fun.

For pure dipping, thatīll be very build dependent. Fighter (Unbreakable) to get a leg up on some feat chains, Wizard (Spellslinger) for fooling around with magic firearms, such things.

Grim Reader
2016-05-14, 04:05 AM
Question is, are there any dips that are worth it? Also, are there any prestige classes that give anything better than what more levels of Magus already get.

I don't know of a lot on Pathfinder. If your DM opens for 3.5 PrCs, the game changes though.

Psyren
2016-05-14, 09:53 AM

EDIT: Just realized this was a necro thread, blah.

arkangel111
2016-05-15, 04:12 PM
I honestly don't know if your still looking for advice on this but to give you a different perspective. It may not be "optimal" but personally I'd have a hard time staying magus past 9, maybe till 11 if i plan to use adamantine plate for some reason. Pearls of power are very much a thing and dirt cheap, the magus' only real tactic is cast shocking grasp and blow things up. Shocking grasp is a level 1 spell, with the already mentioned traits your casting it likely intensified and probably maximized or empowered as well and keeping it level 1. AND your doing it with an increased crit range.
I say go dip crazy. many things can give you something more to do with your character other than hit things hard (REALLY HARD). With your feats you can continue to get other magus arcana if any of the remainder are even worth having for your build. If by chance you happen to hit 20, yea you won't have a capstone, lets face it you got that back at level 2, but really campaigns are over at 20 if not long before.

I know this isn't a popular stance but I think having 9 levels to play around with in a build can dramatically differentiate your magus from the billion other shocking grasp builds out there.