PDA

View Full Version : [3.P]MTG Based Campaign & General Advice

LansXero
2012-02-14, 07:10 AM
Greetings!

So, after a short DMing break I started a new campaign a month ago with a group of people Ive played with before (4 players who finished a year-long campaign set in Eberron with me, an old player who became a villain and then left that same campaign, a friend of his with lots of old school experience, and a former DM of mine who is very into freeform and interpretative stuff and has played tons of other systems).

Anyways, the campaign is set in the Magic: The Gathering setting of Innistrad (http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/stf/157) (click the link for info if you are not familiar with it). Its basically a horror / gothic themed setting which I thought was cool for a change after the high adventure game we had in Eberron. We are using mostly only humanoidable races (as in, non human races get to keep their racial stats, but are pretty much just quirky humans) and a variant for using MTG colors instead of alignment.

The problems Im having are in several levels, namely:

1. The horror theme. Ive never been good with the genre in general, find suspense / horror movies boring and have a hard time getting "into" it. I this would be an oportunity to train myself in it, but its not really working. I must not be conveying the plight of the people well enough, because...

2. The players. One of them is a greedy pirate out to make a quick coin who runs away from fights. Another is an antiques collector willing to sell everything for a price, including himself. The other is a Lawful dorf, and a devout monk... with vow of poverty. It just seems there is no thematic or goal cohesion in the party, and a lack of purpose. The initial plot tried to get them involved with the plight of the church and helping the people, but it didnt really hook them.

3. The players, as in, the large number of them. While not many complains have been had, smoke breaks are frequent, and so is the use of cellphones. I get it, its boring to wait while its other people's turn, specially with 6 others sharing the table. This mostly comes from my former players, who were used to our usual 3 - 4 group with lots of combat. Having greedy survivalists and non-violent pacifists alongside mercenaries and characters built for combat is... less than stellar, so while someone wants to roleplay the selling of an antique or the gathering of fruit, people get frustrated because the story goes nowhere.

4. The plot. I thought the setting would grip them more, or that my own ability wouldnt be so lacking... but I cant seem to find a way to make the world appeal to the lot of them. There is no conceivable reason why they would travel or adventure together, and throwing monsters at them at every turn would get old fast.

Well, that was long... any tips or advice would be apreciated. I dont really wanna force them to behave a certain way or play a certain type of character, but Im finding it hard to enjoy the game the past couple of sessions. Its like a balancing act: if the heavy RP people dont RP heavily, they get bored, but if they do the rest get bored and the plot goes nowhere. :(

Kol Korran
2012-02-15, 12:59 PM
hey LansXero. nice to hear you're DMing. :smallsmile: while i don't know the setting, i'll try to give a few ideas.

i think that the first thing you and the players need to do is some sort of expectations adjustment. some players want THAT kind of game, others want something ELSE and you planned a whole different Shebang.. you should talk things, and the players should realize they'll need to a accommodate the others, and you might find that you may need to run things a bit differently.

that addressed, lets deal with the specific issues:

The horror theme. Ive never been good with the genre in general, find suspense / horror movies boring and have a hard time getting "into" it. I this would be an oportunity to train myself in it.

horror usually works only for short adventures and not campaigns, unless you're a very, very, VERY skilled DM. and the most important ingredient is usually players' participation and willingness to immerse in the atmosphere. most grown ups are quite jaded allready and usual horror films have little effect on them. horror heavily relies on sounds and light tricks, as well as a very vivid imagination. most roleplay groups don't supply that.

I suggest seeing if the players are into it at all. if they are, (and only then) i'd suggest opening a thread for horror themed advice or just searching it. be wary though- other than party Vs. party kind of campaigns or complex time travel this may be the most challenging genre i can (currently) think of.

2. The players. One of them is a greedy pirate out to make a quick coin who runs away from fights. Another is an antiques collector willing to sell everything for a price, including himself. The other is a Lawful dorf, and a devout monk... with vow of poverty. It just seems there is no thematic or goal cohesion in the party, and a lack of purpose. The initial plot tried to get them involved with the plight of the church and helping the people, but it didnt really hook them.

3. The players, as in, the large number of them. While not many complains have been had, smoke breaks are frequent, and so is the use of cellphones. I get it, its boring to wait while its other people's turn, specially with 6 others sharing the table. This mostly comes from my former players, who were used to our usual 3 - 4 group with lots of combat. Having greedy survivalists and non-violent pacifists alongside mercenaries and characters built for combat is... less than stellar, so while someone wants to roleplay the selling of an antique or the gathering of fruit, people get frustrated because the story goes nowhere.

with all do respect- it's not your job to get the players to work together- it's theirs, and need to be part of party creation. they need to find reasons in their character to work with each other, and try to find more reasons in game to do so. (and don't let them give that "but my character would never..." crap. they are creative people- find a way for it to work).

however, since i assume you're not going to throw away your characters (though that is an option) you can try and FORCE a uniting factor upon them... they awake with headaches, and suddenly there are wanted posters of them (or town criers calling their names) for murder! or a slave ring got them. or a rucse is put upon them, with strange tattoos on each- when they go too far from each other they suffer somehow, and so on... make solving the predicament take 2-4 levels, and by that time the party should evolve more bonds (after you explain to them that as good players that is their job. see above) between the characters.

one more word about the cell phone and smoking breaks. this happens all the time (in my campaigns as well) and it's just part of the game. there is nothing wrong with it- people have different attention spans and when it comes to playing for most people this span is shortened quite a bit. if you do want to keep everyone's attention you can try developing complex situations that keeps everyone's attention, like someone trying to convince the thieves guild's doorman to let them in while some others fight the guards.

i would however highly suggest to make the expectations adjustment, yourself included- not everyone is going to be tuned in all the time.

4. The plot. I thought the setting would grip them more, or that my own ability wouldn't be so lacking... but I cant seem to find a way to make the world appeal to the lot of them. There is no conceivable reason why they would travel or adventure together, and throwing monsters at them at every turn would get old fast.

hhhmmm... a tough cookie. i'd go wit hthe "forced adventuring" suggested above only.... make it more personal. get under their skins. the pirate gets deeply insulted and mocked by a superior foe (like Xykon in attitude?) how does it get back? the antique guy learns that something he's sold was actually a pricy ancient irreplaceable heirloom- he's been swindled! how to get it back? the devout monk is drugged and then ridiculed somehow (you know your players best) now he must regain his honor!

now... what if it was the same guy/ gal/ organization who did this? the players might get hooked fast. revenge is one of the easiest and best attention grippers.

be wary of this approach- some players might take a real offense at this "violation" of their character, so use this hook only if you're sure of your players.

as to the setting and world?... meh, some players like to delve into it (and they are also the ones who apy attention all through the session) and some don't (and they often drift off). can't much help you there. in my group only two players got ANY interest in Eberron beyond what they needed for their adventure. :smallwink:

perhaps they'll need to learn the setting slowly... adventure and setting feature by adventure and setting feature.
---------------------------------------------------------
i hope this helped. im far less online these days but i'll try to help when i'll see your threads. hope things go well! :smallamused: