PDA

View Full Version : Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

polity4life
2012-02-14, 08:11 AM
This isn't a joke (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPxdjECyPmw&feature=g-logo&context=G2ed41d3FOAAAAAAAGAA). It seems someone, at some point, wrote a book about the secret life of Abraham Lincoln, one where he hunted the undead.

A studio thought putting this on screen may make money and hired Tim Burton threw some money at it. I'm skeptical but then again, Michael Bay still gets work.

So, based on the trailer, what are your thoughts on this piece of...film? And what gives with the Lincoln love? I never understood the meme and why nerds are so drawn to it.

Comet
2012-02-14, 08:15 AM
The only reason I played through Fallout 3 for a second time was because I noticed that I could make my character a Lincoln-copycat. A cyborg ninja Lincoln, to be precise.

So, yeah, I do fall into the camp of people who find this kind of stuff hilarious. Entirely stupid, for sure, but hilarious nonetheless.

Dr._Demento
2012-02-14, 08:23 AM
It is a fairly well written novel, I'm fairly sure it comes from the recent fad that brought you "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" and "Sense and Sensibilities and Sea-monsters," but I haven't read any of those.

As for the movie, eh, I probably wont go see it, but bonus points for using Johnny Cash voice over.

Dumbledore lives
2012-02-14, 08:41 AM
The concept seemed like it could have been decent, but from the director and the trailer it looks like it'll be a fairly crappy action flick.

Talionis
2012-02-14, 09:02 AM
The book was a silly biography of Abraham Lincoln, but a pleasant read. I can see Tim Burton directing it. It has a funny enough concept that if it isn't taken too seriously it could be a fun film. Burton has the best chance of doing something in that vain. More chance miss than hit, but Lincoln is an icon peple can relate to, so a chance. I like movies, so I'll see it if someone tells me its decent.

hanzo66
2012-02-14, 09:08 AM
But it's not directed by Burton. It's directed by the guy who did Wanted (which was pretty unspectacular save for a few moments) and 9 (which was completely unspectacular). Burton's just the producer.

I liked the book and if I can I'll check this film out.

Selrahc
2012-02-14, 09:12 AM
And what gives with the Lincoln love? I never understood the meme and why nerds are so drawn to it.

People like to fetishize their heroes. Lincoln is one of the biggest heroes in American History, so gets latched onto. He is also faintly ridiculous looking, with his stovepipe hat and distinctive features. Washington, Franklin and Teddy Roosevelt also get their fair share of geek worship.

It's all more amusing and less asinine than the Chuck Norris stuff. I'd much rather people comically exaggerate the feats of genuinely great historical figures than middling 80s action stars.

Tiki Snakes
2012-02-14, 09:55 AM
Are you a Patriot or a Vampire?

Okay, so, yeah. This looks unremittingly awesome. Of course, it might also be terrible, but there's no way I'm missing this at the cinema.

Traab
2012-02-14, 09:56 AM
People like to fetishize their heroes. Lincoln is one of the biggest heroes in American History, so gets latched onto. He is also faintly ridiculous looking, with his stovepipe hat and distinctive features. Washington, Franklin and Teddy Roosevelt also get their fair share of geek worship.

It's all more amusing and less asinine than the Chuck Norris stuff. I'd much rather people comically exaggerate the feats of genuinely great historical figures than middling 80s action stars.

Chuck Norris is just an imperfect clone of Teddy Roosevelt. He is the stormtrooper to teddys jango fett. One is badass, the other is only a cheap imitation of someone who is badass.

BIGMamaSloth
2012-02-15, 11:45 AM
this looks like it could be really good as long as tim burton is just kind of throwing money at it and is not terribly involved with the film. I'm not trying to jump on the tim burton hate wagon but his style of moderately dark creepy aesthetic is the exact opposite of what this film needs. If there going with a premise as silly as this is, they should really do it up into exactly what you think of when you hear the title. If this is going to happen, it needs to be ridiculous.

Tyndmyr
2012-02-15, 12:15 PM
This isn't a joke (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPxdjECyPmw&feature=g-logo&context=G2ed41d3FOAAAAAAAGAA). It seems someone, at some point, wrote a book about the secret life of Abraham Lincoln, one where he hunted the undead.

A studio thought putting this on screen may make money and hired Tim Burton threw some money at it. I'm skeptical but then again, Michael Bay still gets work.

So, based on the trailer, what are your thoughts on this piece of...film? And what gives with the Lincoln love? I never understood the meme and why nerds are so drawn to it.

I read the book, it's aright...but I think it'd make a much better movie than a book. I'll probably watch it, but expectations are more for a fun movie than an epic.

PPA
2012-02-15, 01:50 PM
Yeah, it's a full novel by the same guy who did "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" by inserting extra scenes in Austen's book, so it's pretty much in that vein.

The book was better than I expected, and I'd watch a movie based on it as long as it's more or less faithful to the source material, which is the right amount of silly mixed with serious (as much as a property called Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter can be serious, that is).

At least it looks like a better vampire movie than the ones we've been getting for a quite a while now, if you are into that sort of thing. It does look kind of generic as far as contemporary action movies go, with all those acrobatics and "rule of cool" shots.

Weezer
2012-02-15, 02:02 PM
I think there is no way that this movie could ever be as good as what it is clearly ripping off of: Jesus Christ: Vampire Hunter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LRIypcaIX4). And no, that is not a parody trailer, that movie actually exists.

A Weeping Angel
2012-02-15, 09:11 PM
Chuck Norris is just an imperfect clone of Teddy Roosevelt. He is the stormtrooper to teddys jango fett. One is badass, the other is only a cheap imitation of someone who is badass.

This.
Looks like a fun and well-done movie. It has it's own style and flair that I like at least from the trailer. I'll definitely go see it opening day or weekend.

Traab
2012-02-15, 09:18 PM
This.
Looks like a fun and well-done movie. It has it's own style and flair that I like at least from the trailer. I'll definitely go see it opening day or weekend.

Heh, I meant every bit of it. I mean, just read this (http://www.cracked.com/article_15895_the-5-most-badass-presidents-all-time_p5.html) The entire page reads like one of those silly chuck norris sites and yet every word of it is true. (A little artistic license but still) That man was the original billy badass.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-02-15, 09:20 PM
But it's not directed by Burton. It's directed by the guy who did Wanted (which was pretty unspectacular save for a few moments) and 9 (which was completely unspectacular). Burton's just the producer.

I liked the book and if I can I'll check this film out.

This is one thing that annoys me with Burton.
He did not DIRECT The Nightmare Before Christmas. His contribution to that movie comes down to, basically, the concept, and the character designs. Oh, and the basic storyline, and about 2/3rds of the songs, but even those he did in collaboration with Elfman. He spent about 10 days in total in-studio when they were actually making the movie.

And yet he's ALWAYS considered to be the main mind behind whatever he does.

Nosferocktu
2012-02-15, 11:00 PM
This movie looks so ridiculous and so awesome at the same time, there is no way I could honestly pass up seeing this movie. ANYTHINGis better than watching a Uwe Boll movie. Blegh...

ArlEammon
2012-02-16, 01:47 AM
This movie looks so ridiculous and so awesome at the same time, there is no way I could honestly pass up seeing this movie. ANYTHINGis better than watching a Uwe Boll movie. Blegh...

Ye hath mentioned he who must not be named.

::Gets pitchfork:: "Everyone get the torches, and the forks, and the rope!"

TheThan
2012-02-16, 01:54 AM
This looks like the sort of movie you just sit back, turn off your brain and bask in the glory of it's ridiculousness. Which is exactly what I'm planing on doing.

HFool
2012-02-16, 03:14 PM
This looks like it could be fun, but it also looks likes it might be trying to hard.

A Weeping Angel
2012-02-16, 06:49 PM
Heh, I meant every bit of it. I mean, just read this (http://www.cracked.com/article_15895_the-5-most-badass-presidents-all-time_p5.html) The entire page reads like one of those silly chuck norris sites and yet every word of it is true. (A little artistic license but still) That man was the original billy badass.
I know. I agreed with every bit of it. He truly was the original American badass.
:smallcool:
Bully!

PPA
2012-02-17, 03:54 PM
I think there is no way that this movie could ever be as good as what it is clearly ripping off of: Jesus Christ: Vampire Hunter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LRIypcaIX4). And no, that is not a parody trailer, that movie actually exists.

You know, I've actually watched that movie and it was pretty funny. Cheesy and low-bugdet as heck, and funnier for it.

Weezer
2012-02-17, 07:52 PM
You know, I've actually watched that movie and it was pretty funny. Cheesy and low-bugdet as heck, and funnier for it.

It's certainly a concept that could fall into the "so bad it's good" category.

ThePhantasm
2012-02-17, 09:09 PM
The movie looks stupid. The trailer seemed to be showing the same two fight scenes repeatedly. Are there only two in the movie?

I think I'll pass on this one.

A Weeping Angel
2012-02-19, 05:13 PM
Another trailer international (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOZb-x6q6u0) adds some more backstory and plot.