PDA

View Full Version : Things you wish your barbarian could do

Human Paragon 3
2012-02-14, 12:42 PM
I've noticed there are relatively few great prestige classes for barbarian types. I'd like to give barbarians more options - and ones that are actually worth while.

Players of barbarians: what do you wish your character could do? Or if you don't play barbarians because of their limited options, what would entice you to play one?

I'm going with an animal totem theme, where you get a large menu of selectable options based on your spirit totem.

DeltaEmil
2012-02-14, 12:50 PM
Barbarian is one of the most awesome 1-level prestige classes:smalltongue:. It gives you everything you need at level 1, and can be chosen at character level 1.

Nah, seriously, the barbarian is by itself a good class (although barbarian being so front-loaded is quite true), and has lots of alternative class features (getting the Spirit Totem: Lion pounce ability in exchange for Fast Movement being one of the most popular things).
Prestige classes aren't needed for the barbarian to make it more powerful at that what the barbarian is good at (namely, grinding the enemy into fine dust), but the one that is mentioned often is the Frenzied Berserker, which greatly improves its rage abilities, but also modifies the Power Attack feat by a lot.

Also, totems are already mentioned in the SRD, and there's also a selected list in the book Complete Champion.

Human Paragon 3
2012-02-14, 12:53 PM
Yeah, I'm aware that barbarians are good at dealing hit point damage to enemies. I want to give them more options and abilities for in-and-out of combat, for when hitting it with your big stick just won't suffice.

Also, I am familiar with the U.A. and C.C. barbarian variants, and I like them, but I'd like to do something a little more fundamental, with more interesting and powerful abilities.

Amphetryon
2012-02-14, 12:55 PM
I've noticed there are relatively few great prestige classes for barbarian types. I'd like to give barbarians more options - and ones that are actually worth while.

Players of barbarians: what do you wish your character could do? Or if you don't play barbarians because of their limited options, what would entice you to play one?

I'm going with an animal totem theme, where you get a large menu of selectable options based on your spirit totem.
I'd really like a TWF, Light Weapon-using Barbarian to be worthwhile, meaning able to measure up to the expected damage output of a moderately optimized Greataxe-wielding Barbarian.

Admiral Squish
2012-02-14, 01:00 PM
Yeah, I'm aware that barbarians are good at dealing hit point damage to enemies. I want to give them more options and abilities for in-and-out of combat, for when hitting it with your big stick just won't suffice.

Also, I am familiar with the U.A. and C.C. barbarian variants, and I like them, but I'd like to do something a little more fundamental, with more interesting and powerful abilities.

Well, I rarely plug myself like this, but take a gander at my Greater Totem Barbarian (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157302) project. It got a little out of hand, but the main totems are in there, and they got a significant upgrade. Not a prestige class, but an ability-for-ability tradeoff with the base barbarian.

Greenish
2012-02-14, 01:14 PM
Barbarians aren't that badly off with PrCs. There's Fist of the Forest, Frostrager and Bear Warrior for unarmed mayhem, Champion of Ghwynharfyff and Runescarred Berserker for a drop of magic, and of course Frenzied Berserker for when that humongous blob of HP just has to die. Just to name some of the good ones aimed specifically to barbarians.

Tr011
2012-02-14, 01:16 PM
I'd really like a TWF, Light Weapon-using Barbarian to be worthwhile, meaning able to measure up to the expected damage output of a moderately optimized Greataxe-wielding Barbarian.

Easy.
Get a Greatsword, two levels of monk (they are OK anyway for Feats and saves) and go TWF with your Greatsword+Unarmed Strike. Ask your party caster for Greater Mighty Wallop and there you go.

Amphetryon
2012-02-14, 01:19 PM
Easy.
Get a Greatsword, two levels of monk (they are OK anyway for Feats and saves) and go TWF with your Greatsword+Unarmed Strike. Ask your party caster for Greater Mighty Wallop and there you go.
How are you counting the Greatsword as a Light Weapon, again? Because if you're not, I think you're misunderstanding my statement.

gkathellar
2012-02-14, 01:19 PM
I wish my barbarian wasn't expected to get exhausted after 30-90 seconds of fighting at his full strength. Maybe instead of a rage mechanic with a duration, he could have a system of refreshable per-encounter attacks to simulate the way his battle fury appears in bursts that feed on the flow of combat, and switchable persistent buffs to simulate the different states of mind variously associated with rage, along with some kind of riders to simulate the advantages of brutal cunning. Along with keeping his d12 hit dice, his good fortitude save, and his 4+Int modifier skills per level.

Oh well, one can only dream.

Lonely Tylenol
2012-02-14, 01:27 PM
I would recommend a prestige class that advances abilities based on your animal totem (OR, your spirit totem manifestation, though this might be more difficult to manage, because spirit totems aren't a standard feature of the barbarian, while animal totems are). I wouldn't say that this should include wild shape (that's bear warrior's shtick) or an animal companion (that's beastmaster's) of the animal that your totem represents, but you can definitely incorporate some useful abilities that can be gained from each creature. For instance, the Jaguar Totem barbarian (which is the standard barbarian's load out) can include features of the leopard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/leopard.htm) stat block, which the SRD says can also be used for a jaguar, such as pounce, rake, improved grab, or the animal's racial skill bonuses; or, it can include some other useful features that are jaguar-themed (up to, and including, the ability to wild shape into one, or have one as an animal companion).

Tr011
2012-02-14, 01:53 PM
How are you counting the Greatsword as a Light Weapon, again? Because if you're not, I think you're misunderstanding my statement.

The unarmed strike is a light weapon. I thought one light weapon would be enough o.O
If you want two light weapons you won't get to involve the barbarian-style...
But you can go crazy on lightning maces.

Psyren
2012-02-14, 01:55 PM
Barbarians aren't that badly off with PrCs. There's Fist of the Forest, Frostrager and Bear Warrior for unarmed mayhem, Champion of Ghwynharfyff and Runescarred Berserker for a drop of magic, and of course Frenzied Berserker for when that humongous blob of HP just has to die. Just to name some of the good ones aimed specifically to barbarians.

Totem Rager is another good addition to the list. It falls somewhere between "unarmed mayhem" and "drop of magic."

FMArthur
2012-02-14, 02:39 PM
I wish my barbarian could be an awesome force on the battlefield from its actual class features. Let NPCs have a Warrior with the Rage ability; I want a mighty hero to actually be playing who has that and much more.

There's a long list of awesome things that I think the barbarian class should give you and currently doesn't. I realize that most of these are already available in some fashion or another, and if he wants to broaden his options or specialize in something by spending his feats and taking prestige classes he should be welcome to it, but his class features as a legendary warrior ideal should be giving him these regardless of those:
An intimidating or inspiring presence in battle. Like Intimidating Rage or a 1-round Inspire Courage when he enters a Rage, and the ability to do it again in some way while still Raging.
The ability to attack multiple foes at once. Like Whirlwind Attack, Great Cleave, or War Hulk's Mighty Swing (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20030914a); maybe get the option to pick one, or just get a progression of all three?
The ability to make superhuman jumps. Like getting to make standing jumps as running, and later getting an ability like Sudden Leap.
The ability to fight above his size without having to participate in the stupid melee-growth game himself. Treating disadvantageous size differences as being less than they are would be a nice way to do this that doesn't wind up improving size-stacking strategy even more.
The ability to fight with superhuman endurance. Longer or just fatigue-less Rage from the start, meaningful damage reduction that works against all damage, and an equivalent to Frenzied Berserker's Deathless Frenzy ability at high levels.

Person_Man
2012-02-14, 02:52 PM
A fairly simple and fun Tier 3-ish homebrew Barbarian hands out Barbarian alternate class features, archetype abilities, and level appropriate prestige class abilities as Rage Powers. I think I wrote it up somewhere for one of my players... Ah, here you go:

Person_Man's Generic Barbarian Fix

Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) ×4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Class Skills: The barbarian's class skills are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Nature)(Int), Listen (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A barbarian is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light armor, medium armor, and shields (except tower shields).

{table=head]Level| BAB| Fort| Ref| Will| Special
1st | + 1 | + 0 | + 2 | + 0 | Rage
2nd | + 2 | + 0 | + 3 | + 0 | Rage Power
3rd | + 3 | + 1 | + 3 | + 1 | Rage Power
4th | + 4 | + 1 | + 4 | + 1 | Rage Power
5th | + 5 | + 1 | + 4 | + 1 | Fury
6th | + 6 | + 2 | + 5 | + 2 | Rage Power
7th | + 7 | + 2 | + 5 | + 2 | Rage Power
8th | + 8 | + 2 | + 6 | + 2 | Rage Power
9th | + 9 | + 3 | + 6 | + 3 | Rage Power
10th | + 10 | + 3 | + 7 | + 3 | Fury
11th | + 11 | + 3 | + 7 | + 3 | Rage Power
12th | + 12 | + 4 | + 8 | + 4 | Rage Power
13th | + 13 | + 4 | + 8 | + 4 | Rage Power
14th | + 14 | + 4 | + 9 | + 4 | Rage Power
15th | + 15 | + 5 | + 9 | + 5 | Fury
16th | + 16 | + 5 | + 10 | + 5 | Rage Power
17th | + 17 | + 5 | + 10 | + 5 | Rage Power
18th | + 18 | + 6 | + 11 | + 6 | Rage Power
19th | + 19 | + 6 | + 11 | + 6 | Rage Power
20th | + 20 | + 6 | + 12 | + 6 | Capstone
[/table]

Class Abilities:

Rage (Ex): As a Free Action during their turn, a Barbarian may enter a Rage. While in rage, a Barbarian gains a +4 morale bonus to his Strength and Constitution, as well as a +2 morale bonus on Will saves. A Barbarian may enter a Rage a number of times per day equal to their Constitution modifier. A Rage lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + the character’s Constitution modifier. When a Rage ends, a Barbarian is Dazed for 1 round. Temporary increases to the Barbarian's Constitution, such as those gained from the Rage ability itself or from spells like Bear's Endurance, do not increase or decrease the number of times per day that a Barbarian may enter a Rage, or the number of rounds that it lasts. While raging, a barbarian cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration.

Rage Powers (Ex): The Barbarian gains a Rage Power. Each time you gain a Rage Power, you may choose a single Pathfinder Rage Power (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/classes/barbarian.html#_barbarian), Archetype ability (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/coreClasses/barbarian.html), Barbarian Alternate Class Feature (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872054/Alternative_Class_Features_III), or prestige class ability. The only limitation on your choice is that you may not select an ability that modifies or improves your Rage (which is handled by the Fury ability), and you may only choose abilities that a "normal" Barbarian or Barbarian/Prestige Class would be able to achieve at that effective class level. If an ability has a prerequisite, you must also have that prerequisite. If you try and abuse this freedom, I hit you in the head with a DMG.

Examples of Rage Powers: Uncanny Dodge, Fast Movement, bonus Feats, Pounce, Improved Grab, Damage Reduction (which scales with level without having to take it multiple times), etc.

Fury (Ex): Each time you gain this ability, select a class ability, alternate class ability, or prestige class ability which improves or modifies Rage. By expending one of your Rage uses per day, you may instead activate your Fury modified Rage. Fury otherwise has the same limitations on selections as Rage Powers. Regardless of how many different types of Rage you possess, you may not have more then one type of Rage active at the same time. For example, you may not Rage, then activate Frenzy, then turn into a Bear, etc.

Examples of Fury Abilities: Greater Rage, Mighty Rage, Ferocity, Incarnum Rage, Bear Warrior rage, Frenzy, etc.

Capstone: Pick a Capstone ability from any class or prestige class. You gain that ability. The ability must makes sense for your character concept, without breaking the game.

Lonely Tylenol
2012-02-14, 06:18 PM
Examples of what you might get for the advancement of a totem prestige class (among other things):

Totem Guy 1 - Level Stacking: Totem Guy's levels in Totem Guy class stack with levels in the Barbarian class for all level-dependent class features of their totem (for example, a Boar Totem Barbarian 7/Totem Guy 6 would have Damage Reduction 4/-).

Totem Guy 1 - Skill Bonus: At 1st level, Totem Guy gains the skill bonuses associated with the animal of his totem. (If this bonus has already been granted, it gains it again.) Skills with racial bonuses gained in this fashion are now and henceforth treated as class skills.

Totem Guy 2 - Natural Attacks: At 2nd level, Totem Guy gains the primary natural weapons associated with the animal of his totem, which can be used as either primary or secondary attacks.

Totem Guy 3/6/9 - Special Ability 1 1/2/3/day: At 3rd level, Totem Guy gains a special ability associated with the animal of his totem, or which has some thematic importance with that creature, usable 1/day. At 6th level and 9th level, Totem Guy gains an additional use of this ability.

Totem Guy 4/8 - Ability Bonus +2/+4: At 4th level, Totem Guy gains a +2 inherent ability score bonus to the ability score most thematically associated with the animal of his totem. At 8th level, this inherent bonus increases to +4.

Totem Guy 5/10 - Extra Rage: At 5th and 10th level, Totem Guy gains an additional daily use of the Rage or Frenzy ability.

Totem Guy 7 - Special Ability/Quality 2: At 7th level, Totem Guy gains an (Ex) or (Su) effect inherent or thematic to the animal of their totem that is always active while in rage.

Totem Guy 10 - Greater Rage: At 10th level, Totem Guy gains Greater Rage.

Totem Guy 10 - Aspect of the Totem: At 10th level, Totem Guy gains all relevant abilities of the animal of their totem while in rage. In addition, Special Ability 1 becomes an at-will ability, and Special Ability 2 becomes active even while not in a rage (though it can be suppressed as a move action if necessary).

Sample Totem Guys: (I may stick this in Homebrew with reformatting, but here are some initial ideas for everyone to chew on)

Ape Totem Guy:
Ape Totem Guy 1: At 1st level, Ape Totem Guy gains an additional +8 racial bonus to Climb checks.
Ape Totem Guy 2: At 2nd level, Ape Totem Guy gains two claw attacks made at its highest base attack bonus. You can treat this attack as a secondary natural attack; if you do, you take a -5 penalty to the attack.
Ape Totem Guy 3: At 3rd level, Ape Totem Guy gains the Rend special ability once per day. An Ape Totem Guy that hits with both claw attacks deals an additional 2d6 damage + 1 1/2 their Strength modifier. This ability is usable twice per day at 6th level and three times per day at 9th level.
Ape Totem Guy 4: At 4th level, Ape Totem Guy gains a +2 inherent bonus to Strength. This bonus increases to +4 at 8th level.
Ape Totem Guy 5: At 5th level and again at 10th level, Ape Totem Guy gains an additional use of the Rage or Frenzy ability.
Ape Totem Guy 7: At 7th level, Ape Totem Guy gains the Low-Light Vision and Scent qualities while in rage.
Ape Totem Guy 10: At 10th level, Ape Totem Guy gains the Greater Rage class feature of the Barbarian.
Ape Totem Guy 10: At 10th level, Ape Totem Guy takes on the aspect of his animal totem while in rage. While in rage, Ape Totem Guy is treated as having the Powerful Build racial ability (or just being outright Large; I've yet to decide). In addition, Ape Totem Guy gains a +3 bonus to natural armor while in rage (this stacks with all other bonuses to natural armor that Ape Totem Guy might have), gains the full attack routine of an ape (essentially gaining the bite attack), and uses either the ape's base ability scores or its own, whichever are higher, while in rage (this is done before calculating the rage bonus, and does not include enhancement bonuses gained through spells or natural items; only the base ability scores are compared). In addition, Ape Totem Guy always has low-light vision and scent, and can now use the Rend ability at will.

Bear Totem Guy:
Bear Totem Guy 1: At 1st level, Bear Totem Guy gains a +4 racial bonus to Swim checks.
Bear Totem Guy 2: At 2nd level, Bear Totem Guy gains two claw attacks made at its highest base attack bonus. You can treat this attack as a secondary natural attack; if you do, you take a -5 penalty to the attack.
Bear Totem Guy 3: At 3rd level, Bear Totem Guy gains the Improved Grab special ability usable once per day. Bear Totem Guy gains an additional use of this ability at 6th and 9th level.
Bear Totem Guy 4: At 4th level, Bear Totem Guy gains a +2 inherent bonus to Strength. This bonus increases to +4 at 8th level.
Bear Totem Guy 5: At 5th level and again at 10th level, Bear Totem Guy gains an additional use of the Rage or Frenzy ability.
Bear Totem Guy 7: At 7th level, Bear Totem Guy gains the scent special quality while in rage. It also gains the Endurance feat as a bonus feat.
Bear Totem Guy 10: At 10th level, Bear Totem Guy gains the Greater Rage class feature of the Barbarian.
Bear Totem Guy 10: At 10th level, Bear Totem Guy takes on the aspect of his animal totem while in rage. While in rage, Bear Totem Guy is treated as having the Powerful Build racial ability (or just being outright Large; I've yet to decide). In addition, Bear Totem Guy gains a +2 bonus to natural armor while in rage (this stacks with all other bonuses to natural armor that Bear Totem Guy might have), gains the full attack routine of a bear (essentially gaining the bite attack), and uses either the black bear's base ability scores or its own, whichever are higher, while in rage (this is done before calculating the rage bonus, and does not include enhancement bonuses gained through spells or natural items; only the base ability scores are compared). In addition, Bear Totem Guy always has scent, and can now use the Improved Grab ability at will.

Boar Totem Guy:
Boar Totem Guy 1: At 1st level, Boar Totem Guy gains Alertness as a bonus feat.
Boar Totem Guy 2: At 2nd level, Boar Totem Guy gains a gore attack at his highest base attack bonus. You can treat this attack as a secondary natural attack; if you do, you take a -5 penalty to the attack.
Boar Totem Guy 3: At 3rd level, Boar Totem Guy gains the Powerful Charge special ability usable once per day. When used, double the damage dice and damage bonus of the attack being used for the charge. Boar Totem Guy gains an additional use of this ability at 6th and 9th level.
Boar Totem Guy 4: At 4th level, Boar Totem Guy gains a +2 inherent bonus to Constitution. This bonus increases to +4 at 8th level.
Boar Totem Guy 5: At 5th level and again at 10th level, Boar Totem Guy gains an additional use of the Rage or Frenzy ability.
Boar Totem Guy 7: At 7th level, Boar Totem Guy gains the scent special quality while in rage. It also gains the ferocity special ability while in rage.
Boar Totem Guy 10: At 10th level, Boar Totem Guy gains the Greater Rage class feature of the Barbarian.
Boar Totem Guy 10: At 10th level, Boar Totem Guy takes on the aspect of his animal totem while in rage. While in rage, Boar Totem Guy gains an additional DR 3/- (this stacks with all other damage reduction that Boar Totem Guy might have), +6 bonus to natural armor while in rage (this stacks with all other bonuses to natural armor that Boar Totem Guy might have), and uses either the boar's base ability scores or its own, whichever are higher, while in rage (this is done before calculating the rage bonus, and does not include enhancement bonuses gained through spells or natural items; only the base ability scores are compared). In addition, Boar Totem Guy always has the scent special quality and the ferocity special ability, and can make a powerful charge at will.

Dragon Totem Guy: (I will be using a Bronze Dragon for my example)
Dragon Totem Guy 1: At 1st level, add Disguise, Swim, and Survival to Dragon Totem Guy's class skills. These skills are always treated as class skills.
Dragon Totem Guy 2: At 2nd level, Dragon Totem Guy gains a bite attack at his highest base attack bonus. You can treat this attack as a secondary natural attack; if you do, you take a -5 penalty to the attack.
Dragon Totem Guy 3: At 3rd level, Dragon Totem Guy gains the primary breath weapon of a young bronze dragon usable once per day. This breath weapon deals 6d6 lightning damage in a 60-foot cone. Dragon Totem Guy gains an additional use of this ability at 6th and 9th level.
Dragon Totem Guy 4: At 4th level, Dragon Totem Guy gains a +2 inherent bonus to Charisma. This bonus increases to +4 at 8th level.
Dragon Totem Guy 5: At 5th level and again at 10th level, Dragon Totem Guy gains an additional use of the Rage or Frenzy ability.
Dragon Totem Guy 7: At 7th level, Dragon Totem Guy gains some special qualities of a very young bronze dragon. While in rage, Dragon Totem Guy gains a swim speed of 60 feet, immunity to electricity, water breathing, and the ability to speak with animals at will (as indicated on the Bronze Dragon Abilities By Age (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dragonTrue.htm) table).
Dragon Totem Guy 10: At 10th level, Dragon Totem Guy gains the Greater Rage class feature of the Barbarian.
Bear Totem Guy 10: At 10th level, Dragon Totem Guy takes on the aspect of his animal totem while in rage. While in rage, Dragon Totem Guy gains blindsense 60 feet and immunity to paralysis and sleep. In addition, Dragon Totem Guy gains the +8 bonus to natural armor of a very young bronze dragon while in rage (this stacks with all other bonuses to natural armor that Dragon Totem Guy might have), gains two claw attacks as a medium-sized dragon, and uses either the very young bronze dragon's base ability scores or its own, whichever are higher, while in rage (this is done before calculating the rage bonus, and does not include enhancement bonuses gained through spells or natural items; only the base ability scores are compared). Finally, while in rage, you can treat Dragon Totem Guy's breath weapon as being that of a young adult dragon's (increasing it from 6d6 damage to 10d6). In addition, Dragon Totem Guy always has immunity to electricity, water breathing, and speak with animals at will, and can use his breath weapon at will (though the usual restrictions still apply).

Eagle Totem Guy:
Eagle Totem Guy 1: At 1st level, Eagle Totem Guy gains a +4 racial bonus to Spot checks.
Eagle Totem Guy 2: At 2nd level, Eagle Totem Guy gains two claw attacks made at its highest base attack bonus. You can treat this attack as a secondary natural attack; if you do, you take a -5 penalty to the attack.
Eagle Totem Guy 3: At 3rd level, Eagle Totem Guy gains the benefits of the Spring Attack feat once per day, even if he does not meet the prerequisites. Eagle Totem Guy gains an additional use of this ability at 6th and 9th level.
Eagle Totem Guy 4: At 4th level, Eagle Totem Guy gains a +2 inherent bonus to Dexterity. This bonus increases to +4 at 8th level.
Eagle Totem Guy 5: At 5th level and again at 10th level, Eagle Totem Guy gains an additional use of the Rage or Frenzy ability.
Eagle Totem Guy 7: At 7th level, Eagle Totem Guy gains the low-light vision and evasion special qualities while in rage.
Eagle Totem Guy 10: At 10th level, Eagle Totem Guy gains the Greater Rage class feature of the Barbarian.
Eagle Totem Guy 10: At 10th level, Eagle Totem Guy takes on the aspect of his animal totem while in rage. While in rage, Eagle Totem Guy gains wings, a fly speed of 80 feet (average), and the Flyby Attack feat; these wings can be suppressed as a move action. Eagle Totem Guy also gains a +3 bonus to natural armor while in rage (this stacks with all other bonuses to natural armor that Eagle Totem Guy might have), and uses either the eagle's base ability scores or its own, whichever are higher, while in rage (this is done before calculating the rage bonus, and does not include enhancement bonuses gained through spells or natural items; only the base ability scores are compared). In addition, Eagle Totem Guy always has the low-light vision and evasion special qualities, and gains the Spring Attack feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites.

Horse Totem Guy:
Horse Totem Guy 1: At 1st level, Horse Totem Guy gains a +8 racial bonus to Ride checks.
Horse Totem Guy 2: At 2nd level, Horse Totem Guy gains two hoof attacks made at its highest base attack bonus. You can treat this attack as a secondary natural attack; if you do, you take a -5 penalty to the attack.
Horse Totem Guy 3: At 3rd level, Horse Totem Guy gains the benefits of the Ride-By Attack feat once per day, even if he does not meet the prerequisites. Horse Totem Guy gains an additional use of this ability at 6th and 9th level.
Horse Totem Guy 4: At 4th level, Horse Totem Guy gains a +2 inherent bonus to Constitution. This bonus increases to +4 at 8th level.
Horse Totem Guy 5: At 5th level and again at 10th level, Horse Totem Guy gains an additional use of the Rage or Frenzy ability.
Horse Totem Guy 7: At 7th level, Horse Totem Guy gains the low-light vision and scent special qualities while in rage.
Horse Totem Guy 10: At 10th level, Horse Totem Guy gains the Greater Rage class feature of the Barbarian.
Horse Totem Guy 10: At 10th level, Horse Totem Guy takes on the aspect of his animal totem while in rage. While in rage, Horse Totem Guy is treated as having the Powerful Build racial ability, and gains the benefits of any feat he knows that normally requires a rider and mount (such as Mounted Combat, Mounted Archery, Ride-By Attack, Spirited Charge, and Trample) even if he is not mounted. Horse Totem Guy also gains a +4 bonus to natural armor while in rage (this stacks with all other bonuses to natural armor that Horse Totem Guy might have), and uses either the heavy warhorse's base ability scores or its own, whichever are higher, while in rage (this is done before calculating the rage bonus, and does not include enhancement bonuses gained through spells or natural items; only the base ability scores are compared). In addition, Horse Totem Guy always has the low-light vision and evasion special qualities, and gains the Ride-By Attack feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites.

Jaguar Totem Guy:
Jaguar Totem Guy 1: At 1st level, Jaguar Totem Guy gains a +4 racial bonus to Hide and Move Silently checks, and a +8 racial bonus to Jump, Balance and Climb checks.
Jaguar Totem Guy 2: At 2nd level, Jaguar Totem Guy gains a bite attack made at its highest base attack bonus. You can treat this attack as a secondary natural attack; if you do, you take a -5 penalty to the attack.
Jaguar Totem Guy 3: At 3rd level, Jaguar Totem Guy gains the Improved Grab ability once per day when he uses his bite attack. In addition, if he wins the grapple check, he establishes a hold and can make a single rake attack as a free action (1d4 damage + 1/2 his Strength modifier). Jaguar Totem Guy gains an additional use of this ability at 6th and 9th level.
Jaguar Totem Guy 4: At 4th level, Jaguar Totem Guy gains a +2 inherent bonus to Dexterity. This bonus increases to +4 at 8th level.
Jaguar Totem Guy 5: At 5th level and again at 10th level, Jaguar Totem Guy gains an additional use of the Rage or Frenzy ability.
Jaguar Totem Guy 7: At 7th level, Jaguar Totem Guy gains the low-light vision special quality while in rage. In addition, a Jaguar Totem Guy gains a climb speed equal to half his movement speed while in rage, and can take 10 on climb checks even when threatened or hurried.
Jaguar Totem Guy 10: At 10th level, Jaguar Totem Guy gains the Greater Rage class feature of the Barbarian.
Jaguar Totem Guy 10: At 10th level, Jaguar Totem Guy takes on the aspect of his animal totem while in rage. While in rage, Jaguar Totem Guy is treated as having the pounce special ability. In addition, Jaguar Totem Guy gains a +1 bonus to natural armor while in rage (this stacks with all other bonuses to natural armor that Jaguar Totem Guy might have), gains the full attack routine of a leopard (essentially gaining two claw attacks and the ability to rake twice during a pounce), and uses either the jaguar's base ability scores or its own, whichever are higher, while in rage (this is done before calculating the rage bonus, and does not include enhancement bonuses gained through spells or natural items; only the base ability scores are compared). In addition, Jaguar Totem Guy always has low-light vision and a climb speed equal to half its base movement speed, and can now use the Improved Grab ability at will.

Lion Totem Guy:
Lion Totem Guy 1: At 1st level, Lion Totem Guy gains a +4 racial bonus to Balance, Hide and Move Silently.
Lion Totem Guy 2: At 2nd level, Lion Totem Guy gains two claw attacks made at its highest base attack bonus. You can treat this attack as a secondary natural attack; if you do, you take a -5 penalty to the attack.
Lion Totem Guy 3: At 3rd level, Lion Totem Guy gains a powerful roar ability usable once per day. When you roar, all enemies within 30 feet of you must make a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 your barbarian and Totem Guy levels + your Str modifier) or be shaken for a number of rounds equal to your barbarian and Totem Guy levels combined. Lion Totem Guy gains an additional use of this ability at 6th and 9th level.
Lion Totem Guy 4: At 4th level, Lion Totem Guy gains a +2 inherent bonus to Strength. This bonus increases to +4 at 8th level.
Lion Totem Guy 5: At 5th level and again at 10th level, Lion Totem Guy gains an additional use of the Rage or Frenzy ability.
Lion Totem Guy 7: At 7th level, Lion Totem Guy gains the low-light vision and scent special qualities while in rage.
Lion Totem Guy 10: At 10th level, Lion Totem Guy gains the Greater Rage class feature of the Barbarian.
Lion Totem Guy 10: At 10th level, Lion Totem Guy takes on the aspect of his animal totem while in rage. While in rage, Lion Totem Guy is treated as having the pounce special ability. In addition, Lion Totem Guy gains a +3 bonus to natural armor while in rage (this stacks with all other bonuses to natural armor that Lion Totem Guy might have), gains the full attack routine of a lion (essentially gaining a bite attack and the ability to rake twice during a pounce), and uses either the lion's base ability scores or its own, whichever are higher, while in rage (this is done before calculating the rage bonus, and does not include enhancement bonuses gained through spells or natural items; only the base ability scores are compared). In addition, Lion Totem Guy always has low-light vision and scent, and can now use the roar ability at will.

Serpent Totem Guy:
Serpent Totem Guy 1: At 1st level, Lion Totem Guy gains a +4 racial bonus to Hide, Listen and Spot checks, and a +8 racial bonus on Balance and Climb checks.
Serpent Totem Guy 2: At 2nd level, Serpent Totem Guy gains a bite attack made at its highest base attack bonus. You can treat this attack as a secondary natural attack; if you do, you take a -5 penalty to the attack.
Serpent Totem Guy 3: At 3rd level, Serpent Totem Guy can select from one of the following abilities, usable once per day:
- Serpent Totem Guy gains the Improved Grab special ability. Further, on a successful grapple check, Serpent Totem Guy deals 1d3+ 1/2 his Str modifier (as per the Constrict ability).
- On a successful bite attack, Serpent Totem Guy can infect his target with poison that deals initial and secondary damage of 1d6 Con. The save DC is equal to 10 + 1/2 your barbarian and Serpent Totem Guy levels + your Con modifier.
Serpent Totem Guy gains an additional use of the ability he chooses at 6th and 9th level.
Sepent Totem Guy 4: At 4th level, Serpent Totem Guy gains a +2 inherent bonus to Strength (if he chose Improved Grab) or Dexterity (if he chose poison). This bonus increases to +4 at 8th level.
Serpent Totem Guy 5: At 5th level and again at 10th level, Serpent Totem Guy gains an additional use of the Rage or Frenzy ability.
Serpent Totem Guy 7: At 7th level, Serpent Totem Guy gains the scent special quality while in rage. Additionally, Serpent Totem guy gains a climb speed and a swim speed of half its base movement speed, and can take 10 on climb and swim checks while in rage.
Serpent Totem Guy 10: At 10th level, Serpent Totem Guy gains the Greater Rage class feature of the Barbarian.
Serpent Totem Guy 10: At 10th level, Serpent Totem Guy takes on the aspect of his animal totem while in rage. While in rage, Serpent Totem Guy is treated as having the Powerful Build racial ability (if he chose Improved Grab) or the Weapon Finesse feat (if he chose poison). In addition, Serpent Totem Guy gains a +2 bonus to natural armor while in rage (this stacks with all other bonuses to natural armor that Serpent Totem Guy might have), and uses either the constrictor snake's base ability scores or its own, whichever are higher, while in rage (this is done before calculating the rage bonus, and does not include enhancement bonuses gained through spells or magical items; only the base ability scores are compared). In addition, Serpent Totem Guy always scent, a climb and swim speed equal to half its base movement speed, and can use the Improved Grab special ability or the poison special ability at will.

Wolf Totem Guy:
Wolf Totem Guy 1: At 1st level, Wolf Totem Guy gains a +4 racial bonus to Survival.
Wolf Totem Guy 2: At 2nd level, Wolf Totem Guy gains a bite attack made at its highest base attack bonus. You can treat this attack as a secondary natural attack; if you do, you take a -5 penalty to the attack.
Wolf Totem Guy 3: At 3rd level, Wolf Totem Guy gains the benefits of the Improved Trip feat once per day, even if he does not meet the prerequisites. Wolf Totem Guy gains an additional use of this ability at 6th and 9th level.
Wolf Totem Guy 4: At 4th level, Wolf Totem Guy gains a +2 inherent bonus to Constitution. This bonus increases to +4 at 8th level.
Wolf Totem Guy 5: At 5th level and again at 10th level, Wolf Totem Guy gains an additional use of the Rage or Frenzy ability.
Wolf Totem Guy 7: At 7th level, Wolf Totem Guy gains the low-light vision and scent special qualities while in rage.
Wolf Totem Guy 10: At 10th level, Wolf Totem Guy gains the Greater Rage class feature of the Barbarian.
Wolf Totem Guy 10: At 10th level, Wolf Totem Guy takes on the aspect of his animal totem while in rage. While in rage, Wolf Totem Guy gains a +4 competence bonus on attack and damage rolls made while flanking. In addition, Wolf Totem Guy gains a +2 bonus to natural armor while in rage (this stacks with all other bonuses to natural armor that Lion Totem Guy might have), and uses either the wolf's base ability scores or its own, whichever are higher, while in rage (this is done before calculating the rage bonus, and does not include enhancement bonuses gained through spells or natural items; only the base ability scores are compared). In addition, Wolf Totem Guy always has low-light vision and scent, and gains the Improved Trip feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites.

Somebody can probably think of better abilities than I can. Right now, most of these seem horribly underpowered to me (even when paired against the actual barbarian, this doesn't seem like a great leap forward), but the fact of the matter is, most of these totems emulate monsters with weak or no abilities, and it's hard to come up with something genuinely awesome based on them!