PDA

View Full Version : What would a cleric who is vowed to destroy all arcanse spell casters look like?

paurpg
2012-02-14, 03:39 PM
Yeah, I am planning a cleric character who specializes in destroying arcane spellcasters because he thinks they are evil. What kind of build, domains, feats, weapons, items... would work well with this idea? Thanks

Flickerdart
2012-02-14, 03:54 PM
What level are you at? The higher the level, the more versatile an arcanist's spells are, and the more you'll have to prepare against.

ahenobarbi
2012-02-14, 04:10 PM
Grab feats:
Initiate of Mystra (to cast inside antimagic field)
Heretic of Faith (so you will not loose cleric casting despite being heretic :smallcool:)

it could help a bit... also if you could be Vecna-blooded no one could prepare against your tactics (because no one would know about you).

Manateee
2012-02-14, 04:17 PM
Inquisition domain seems natural, and fits with Divine Defiance to turn the Cleric into a counterspelling machine.

mregecko
2012-02-14, 04:30 PM
Grab feats:
Heretic of Faith (so you will not loose cleric casting despite being heretic :smallcool:)

it could help a bit... also if you could be Vecna-blooded no one could prepare against your tactics (because no one would know about you).

At first I was all :smalleek: with a cleric of Mystra
But then I was all :smallcool: with Heretic of Faith.

My hat is off, good sir.

Hirax
2012-02-14, 04:34 PM
Use dweomerkeeper to make holy word and blasphemy supernatural, so they ignore any spell resistance due to shapechange. Pump your caster level by persisted consumptive field and circle magic. Make sure to take extraordinary spell aim so you don't kill yourself when casting holy word.

Gavinfoxx
2012-02-14, 07:19 PM
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871214/Dispelling_38;_Counterspelling_Compilation

One of the divine builds from there, perhaps?

Calanon
2012-02-15, 12:55 AM
Grab feats:

>Worships Mystra
>"Hates all Arcane magic"
>lolwut?

Inquisition domain seems natural, and fits with Divine Defiance to turn the Cleric into a counterspelling machine.

I ALWAYS include Divine Defiance in my Cleric builds since Its SO good at disabling enemy casters :smallwink:

onemorelurker
2012-02-15, 01:14 AM
>Worships Mystra
>"Hates all magic"
>lolwut?

It sounds to me like he doesn't hate all magic, he just hates all arcane magic. Which is heretical for a cleric of Mystra, but he's got a feat for that.

GoatBoy
2012-02-15, 01:29 AM
There's a weapon in Weapons of Legacy which is based on that very concept. The Ashbound druids in Eberron are also strongly anti-arcane.

Of course, that doesn't help much if you're not a druid, and friends don't let friends use weapons of legacy, but they might have some helpful ideas.

paurpg
2012-02-15, 03:39 AM
Wow, I didn't realize there was so much to choose from, we start at level 2, and it'll be hard to get past level 10 I think. I'm not sure my Dm will allow divine defiance but I'll ask. My Dm doesn't allow all the books, and I'm not very into very complicated builds, so I'm thinking cleric with inquisition domain, improved turning, and divine metamagic for starters. I still am pondering how story wise initiate of mystra and heretic go together....and anyway initiate of mystra is from the PHtF which the DM does not allow. He allows the core bookes, the complete series, Libris Mortis (except nightsticks) and psionics (but I hate psionics, I don't know why).

Calanon
2012-02-15, 03:44 AM
Wow, I didn't realize there was so much to choose from, we start at level 2, and it'll be hard to get past level 10 I think. I'm not sure my Dm will allow divine defiance but I'll ask. My Dm doesn't allow all the books, and I'm not very into very complicated builds, so I'm thinking cleric with inquisition and magic domains, initiate of mystra, improved turning, and divine metamagic for starters. But I still have to ponder how story wise initiate of mystra and heretic go together....

Mystra, the Goddess of Magic teaches her clerics to love ALL magics and to spread the knowledge of ALL magics :smalltongue:

Albeit Divine Defiance can still work hand in hand with people "If your not going to use your toys nicely then you don't get to use them at all!"

Feytalist
2012-02-15, 03:48 AM
For fluff ideas, read up on House Karanok in the Forgotten Realms setting. They are essentially what you're on about. A cult (of Entropy worshipers, but you can ignore that part) who tries to kill all "witches" (i.e. arcanists, and dwarfs and elves for some reason).

Initiate of Mystra / Heretic of the Faith is easy. Worship Mystra, goddess of all magic, believe that magic is a spiritual gift, a divine right. Hate all arcanists for "sullying" or "misusing" the divine gift, start an inquisition against them. It's heretical to the true teachings of the church of Mystra, so you pick up the Heretic of the Faith feat. Done.

BobVosh
2012-02-15, 04:00 AM
It sounds to me like he doesn't hate all magic, he just hates all arcane magic. Which is heretical for a cleric of Mystra, but he's got a feat for that.

He said in the first post because he "thinks they are evil." That could easily be changed to a belief that they are impure and destroying the purity of magic of Mystra.

paurpg
2012-02-15, 05:45 AM
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871214/Dispelling_38;_Counterspelling_Compilation

One of the divine builds from there, perhaps?

Actually I like snizzor's cleric build.
As I said, I am not sure my Gm will allow initiate of mystra or divine defiance, but I'll ask.
I'm surprised no one mentioned the silence spell. Any suggestions with using that? Or should it be avoided for some reason?
Thanks

Prime32
2012-02-15, 07:18 AM
>Worships Mystra
>"Hates all Arcane magic"
>lolwut?Ur-priest. :smalltongue:

Also, go dweomerkeeper, cast persistent selective antimagic field. :smallamused:

gkathellar
2012-02-15, 08:17 AM
The Initiate of Mystra + Heretic of Faith combo is a good bet here (and Heretic of Faith is a crazy strong feat, woah), so you probably want to expand your already solid access to buffs, get more of the Wizard's toys, and counter what he can still do in an AMF.

The Transformation domain via Heretic of Faith is a good bet, and skyrocketing your touch AC is also probably important. You'll need a way to beat Prismatic Sphere and penetrate an IotSV's defenses, since those beat AMF.

Mystra, the Goddess of Magic teaches her clerics to love ALL magics and to spread the knowledge of ALL magics :smalltongue:

Again: Heretic of Faith has this covered.

Gavinfoxx
2012-02-15, 10:09 AM
Do you think you will go snizzor's cleric build? Here it is, copied and pasted for the rest of the folk:

Here's a Cleric Couterspeller/Dispeller that I've been working on for a while. The feats are largely undecided..

Name: The Regulator
Race: Human
Build: Cleric 3/ Church Inquisitor 3/ Paragnostic Apostle 1/Church Inquisitor +3/ Contemplative 10

Feats:
1. Extend Spell, (Divine Spell Power)
3. Divine Defiance
6. Extra Turning
9. Elven Spell Lore
12. free
15. free
18. free

Domains:
Purification (Cleric 1)
Divine Magician (Alt. Class Feature)
Inquisition (Church Inquisitor 1, ECL 4)
Competition (Contemplative 1, ECL 11)
+1 for Contemplative 6, ECL 16

Divine Magician:
1. Combat Readiness (DotU)
2. Arcane Turmoil (CM)
3. Spellcaster’s Bane (CM)
4. Slashing Dispel (PHB2)
5. Spell Theft (CSc)
7. Greater Dispelling Screen (SC)
9. Reaving Dispel (SC)

Paragonstic Apostle:
Penetrating Insight: +1 vs SR or to dispel another caster’s spell

Flickerdart
2012-02-15, 10:20 AM
I'm surprised no one mentioned the silence spell. Any suggestions with using that? Or should it be avoided for some reason?
Silence has two useless modes: either you center it on a point in space, at which point the caster just walks 20 feet in any direction and is unaffected by it, or you center it on the caster, at which point he succeeds on the Will save easily and is unaffected by it.