PDA

View Full Version : A different message of appreciation.

internisus
2012-02-14, 05:48 PM
There's something that I'd like to say, and I don't know of a better way to do it than simply to post it here. We've seen Rich mention in his updates that the Kickstarter project has yielded an outpouring of supportive words from fans who have never spoken up about their feelings for the comic before; I want to contribute my piece to this but without the burden of yet another message within his overwhelmed inbox. I expect that he is likely to read it eventually but without undue urgency if I leave it here.

As much as I love reading The Order of the Stick, a topic that doesn't come up very often is that of your extra-fictional commentative voice, Rich. I so enjoy your friendly and informative style of writing when you are representing merely yourself that I warmly reread the introduction and commentary sections of all of the books—as a matter of fact, these extras are an even more powerful motivator for me to buy them than are the bonus strips.

I cannot wait to read what you have to say regarding the development of Tarquin's character in the next compiled volume, for example, and of how you struck on the idea to twist Elan's genre-savvy into the grandest evil motivations that I have read for a very long time. The insight that you have provided into your thought process and storytelling inspirations (not to oversell my praise, but I think that you are doing Straczynski proud) as you've worked to embellish these characters and carve out this world has been continuously delightful.

I am sure that I am not alone in feeling this way about your generous and personal writing, and I thought it was important to focus on this subject amidst all your other fans' words of much-deserved appreciation if only because you take a self-deprecating attitude towards such commentary. This is certainly charming to a point, but I hope that you do not ever actually believe that these pieces constitute self-indulgent prattle. On the contrary, your commentary has always proven entertaining, useful, and even sweet; please do not doubt its value.

Indeed, one of the great pleasures of this Kickstarter campaign alongside the exciting rewards, the bonus comic of the charts, and, of course, happily admiring how steeply that red line has risen has been the anticipation of your updates, which have effortlessly marshaled the same virtues as your commentary. It's been a joy to read your reactions to the fundraiser's accomplishments and the transparent account of your farsighted yet fresh-eyed planning.

I just wanted to let you know that, OotS zeal aside, you have a reader for life, regardless of what you choose to do once the epic has run its course, and that, to the extent that your voice reflects your innate character, you have my personal admiration as well.

Enas
2012-02-16, 03:22 PM
Very much seconded :-)

EpilepticWombat
2012-02-16, 04:15 PM
Thirded! :D

Juggling Goth
2012-02-17, 02:46 AM
Yep. The commentaries are my favourite bits of the books.

pendell
2012-02-17, 06:29 AM
I fourth. I must also add that, contrary to a popular thread's title, I don't believe Mr. Burlew has "failed" to communicate. I think he's done an excellent job of creating a sophisticated, morally nuanced story within the framework of a role-playing game. I suspect he is a good DM as well as a good author.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Jubal_Barca
2012-02-17, 07:17 AM
As someone who does a fair bit of (bad) writing myself, too, Rich's work is hugely useful and great to read. Can I fifth? Is fifthing even a verb? Oh well, fifthing is a verb now (you heard it here first). One more and we have a standard size adventuring party here. :smallwink:

Saeyan
2012-02-17, 07:21 AM
Sixth'd. The commentary is always a joy to read.

Saeyan
2012-02-17, 07:23 AM
Sixth'd. The commentary is always a joy to read.