PDA

View Full Version : "Behold, the power of God!" (3.5 Spell, PEACH)

Noctis Vigil
2012-02-14, 10:46 PM
I'm sure something like this exists already, but eh. I had the idea pop into my head, and here's my attempt at a 9th level Cleric spell.

Aspect of Divinity
Transmutation
Level: Clr 9
Components: V, S, M, DF, XP (see text)
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 min./level or 10 min./level (see text)

As you cast the spell, you drink the vial of holy water. Your body infuses itself with the might of your deity. You gain all the following for the duration of the spell:

DR20, with the weakness being the opposite alignment from your deity (if good then evil, if lawful than chaotic). If one alignment is neutral, pick a weakness alignment for that axis. A LG Cleric would gain DR20/CE.

Resistance to all elements 30.

Regeneration 10. The weakness here is the same as the weakness to your DR.

Spell Resistance equal to 11 + your caster level. This spell resistance may be lowered or raised at will as a free action to allow friendly spells to affect you.

Any weapon you wield gains the flaming burst and shocking burst properties. If you are good, you also get the holy property; if evil you get the unholy property; if lawful you get the axiomatic property; if chaotic you get the anarchic property. If neutral, you do not get to choose what properties you get.

You grow a pair of feathered wings, granting you a fly speed equal to twice your movement speed (or increasing your existing fly speed by that amount) with perfect maneuverability. If good, the wings are white; if evil, they are black; if neutral, pick white or black at casting.

You gain a bonus to attack and damage equal to your caster level.

If good, you may use the spells daylight, protection from evil, and searing light at will. If evil, you may use deeper darkness, protection from good and bestow curse at will. If neutral, you may use the spells dispel magic, invisibility purge and hold person at will.

Material Component: One vial of holy water created by a Cleric of your deity, drunk during the casting of the spell.

XP Component: 1000 EXP, lost at the end of the spell's duration. Alternatively, you may expend 10000 EXP instead, to increase the spell's duration to 10 min./level.

Steward
2012-02-15, 04:51 PM
This reminds me of a souped up version of the 'Visage of the Deity' spells from Complete Divine.

DR20, with the weakness being the opposite alignment from your deity (if good then evil, if lawful than chaotic). If one alignment is neutral, pick a weakness alignment for that axis. A LG Cleric would gain DR20/CE.

What this means it that a weapon would need to be both anarchic and evil to pierce the LG cleric's damage reduction, right? A weapon that was just evil wouldn't.

If neutral, you do not get to choose what properties you get.

So does that mean the DM chooses, or a neutral character doesn't get that second property, or is it just randomized?

'Visage of the Deity' is vaguely similar to this spell, and it also included a line along the lines of, "This spell has an alignment depending on which effect you chose" (paraphrased!) So if an evil cleric used this to emulate the might of a lawful evil deity, the spell's type would be something like, "Transmutation [Evil], [Lawful]". Maybe something like that (better worded, of course!) would fit in here!

Overall, I really like this spell. It has kind of an epic (as in mythical, not as in the game term!) feel to it, like something a mighty High Priest would whip out to banish an invasion of hobgoblins. For example. :D

Noctis Vigil
2012-02-15, 09:01 PM
What this means it that a weapon would need to be both anarchic and evil to pierce the LG cleric's damage reduction, right? A weapon that was just evil wouldn't.

That's correct, it must match both types. It's a 9th level spell, it should be damnably hard to pierce the protections it offers.

So does that mean the DM chooses, or a neutral character doesn't get that second property, or is it just randomized?

No one chooses. Neutral characters just don't get that property.

As for the type changing, I'm not sure I'd change the spell type based on who casts it. I'll look up the other spell for reference before making a final decision on that, though.

I'm glad you like the spell. It's sort of one part holy warrior, one part defense and recovery, one part buff, and one part "oh !@#$" button. :smalltongue: Thanks for the PEACH!

Steward
2012-02-15, 09:56 PM
As for the type changing, I'm not sure I'd change the spell type based on who casts it. I'll look up the other spell for reference before making a final decision on that, though.

No problem! It really doesn't make that much of an effect on it though. It's just that I've noticed it's (at least sometimes) practice to have a spell reflect the character of what it's channeling. Kind of like Summon Monster and Planar Ally spells (for example) become Good if you use it to call upon a celestial and Evil if you decide to pal around with a palrethee. If you use this spell to take an aspect of an evil deity, you could make the argument that you're channeling evil energy or something.

Here's the other spell:

VISAGE OF THE DEITY, LESSER
Transmutation [Evil or Good]
Level: Blackguard 4, cleric 3, paladin 4
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/level

As you end your prayer, you can feel the hand of your deity upon you.

You gain a +4 enhancement bonus to Charisma. You gain resistance to acid 10, cold 10, and electricity 10 if you are good, or resistance to cold 10 and fire 10 if you are evil.

No one chooses. Neutral characters just don't get that property.

That's fair. I just noticed that neutral characters get dispel magic at will anyway, which honestly makes up for that.

Dumbledore lives
2012-02-15, 10:03 PM
It seems like the bonus to attack and damage rolls might be a little high, but I'm really not the best judge of these kind of spells. I think I'd personally make it half caster to attack and damage, but as of now it is still not too powerful.

Madara
2012-02-15, 10:10 PM
O you and these titles...:smallsmile:

Every single time, I click on them...every single time.

Noctis Vigil
2012-02-16, 04:06 PM
It seems like the bonus to attack and damage rolls might be a little high, but I'm really not the best judge of these kind of spells. I think I'd personally make it half caster to attack and damage, but as of now it is still not too powerful.

By "not too powerful", do you mean it shouldn't be 9th level?

O you and these titles...:smallsmile:

Every single time, I click on them...every single time.

Thus the reason I use them. :smallbiggrin:

Glimbur
2012-02-16, 06:13 PM
That's fair. I just noticed that neutral characters get dispel magic at will anyway, which honestly makes up for that.

Except that regular dispel magic is capped at a +10 bonus to dispel from caster level i.e. against a level equivalent foe you need to roll a 20 on the dispel check to dispel things. I'm not sure if Greater Dispel Magic at will for a 9th level slot for 1 min/level is ok, except you're spending XP so it is probably fine.

Noctis Vigil
2012-02-16, 06:30 PM
I was trying to make all the spells 3rd level, but useful. Not all magic is going to be 9th level when you have access to 9th level spells. Do you think it needs boosting, though? I'd have to change the other spell lists around, or neutral Clerics are going to be far more powerful.