PDA

View Full Version : chameleon ability boon and leveling up skillpoints?

Venger
2012-02-14, 11:32 PM
I know that headbands of intellect specifically don't count for determining the number of skillpoints that you receive when you level up. is the rationale the same behind the chameleon's untyped ability boon? or can you have it up when you level and get extra points? I'm reasonably certain the answer is no.

hex0
2012-02-18, 01:55 PM
The answer is no, indeed.

Jack_Simth
2012-02-18, 06:28 PM
The answer is no, indeed.
Kind of.

The answer is "Almost no DM will let that fly", however, it's also "By RAW, yes, Int is Int; unless it's got a specific exception, it affects your level-up skill points if you have it when you level."

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-02-18, 06:48 PM
No, you only get bonus skill points from permanent increases to Intelligence. Basically, if a bonus to your Int score could ever be turned off, it cannot contribute to your skill points/level.

hex0
2012-02-18, 07:48 PM
No, you only get bonus skill points from permanent increases to Intelligence. Basically, if a bonus to your Int score could ever be turned off, it cannot contribute to your skill points/level.

Because, yeah. It makes sense. Folks with Rings of Evasion trying to qualify for Fochulran Lyrist, I'm looking at you! :smallbiggrin:

tyckspoon
2012-02-18, 10:32 PM

This isn't actually a rule. It's almost certainly the intent, but they never wrote a general statement about it; Jack_Simth is right. If the source of your bonus doesn't say otherwise, the only thing that matters is the Int modifier you have at time of gaining the skill points. (I also agree that I wouldn't try to get a DM to allow that to work.)

Edit: Disregard above. They did make a general statement about it.. in the PHB, in the section about the specifics about leveling up. Which is not in the SRD because it's part of the Super Secret protected content about XP and levels, I guess. Pretty obscure place to park that rule. :smallsigh: