PDA

View Full Version : Magic Vestment

SetArk
2012-02-15, 07:37 AM
I'm preparing an boss for my players, and i bumped on a problem...
The Spell Magic Vestment (P.H I)
Its acessible for artificers (First Level Infusion)
So i started wondering.. If i've got an Full Plate +1... And uses that spell , does that means that my enchantment bonus of my full plate boost up? Like if i'm an artificer of first level and got an full plate +1, using that infusion i would have for the duration of the spell, an full plate +2?
I've got confused because of the spell description, it just says, that the armor/cloth gets an +1 enchantment bonus.. (Eberon Campaing Setting)

sonofzeal
2012-02-15, 07:50 AM
No. Enhancement bonuses don't stack.

You need Greater Magic Vestment for that.... :smallamused:

KillianHawkeye
2012-02-15, 07:51 AM
The spell grants a +1 enhancement bonus per 4 caster levels. This does not stack with any existing enhancement bonuses that exist if the armor is already magical. So if the caster level is 7 or less, there won't be any benefit on a +1 full plate.

SetArk
2012-02-15, 07:56 AM
Thx for the help guys ^^

Alienist
2012-02-15, 08:15 AM
For a boss the healing armor enhancements might be better - as soon as he hits 0 hit points .... blammo! More hit points. :-)

Make sure you give it a properly theatrical description.

Your players will probably accuse you of cheating/npc favouritism, it's just that good.

If (and only if) your baddie in question has a dragonmark:
For a use of a level 1 infusion, it is hard to go past summon dragonmark homunculus, it is a mediocre summon (its better if you can get the higher dragonmark). But it lasts for hours not rounds!!
Similarly there is a spell that turns your dragonmark into a living attacker (roughly on a par with a brown bear)
And lastly there is a really cheap version of two wand fighting available for a dragonmark baddie, because there is the swift/interrupt spell which damages and may knock over in a close burst. So they can use the main wand for a fireball (or whatever) and the second wand for the swift spell, without having to do any of that burning extra charges crap. (on the other hand, they're an npc, so burning extra charges is not really a big deal - see if you can get him using three wands a round :D )

SetArk
2012-02-15, 09:22 AM
Good idea... But now i'm having another problem here...
Well.. The boss i'm planing is an large size monster (firegiant with artifice levels, an blacksmith exatly, that will be waiting to fight then on the end of the dungeon..)
I'm using the magic item compendium table for an base money that i can spend on his equipament...

Well, now i say, itens like Shirt of the Leech, Horned Helm or Boots of Striding and Sprining... For thso guy, they would be an large size itens, but if the players of medium size(all my players) want to use then, they would be able? the itens resizes to fit then? Or not?

Demon of Death
2012-02-15, 10:03 AM
Well, now i say, itens like Shirt of the Leech, Horned Helm or Boots of Striding and Sprining... For thso guy, they would be an large size itens, but if the players of medium size(all my players) want to use then, they would be able? the itens resizes to fit then? Or not?

Size And Magic Items

When an article of magic clothing or jewelry is discovered, most of the time size shouldn’t be an issue. Many magic garments are made to be easily adjustable, or they adjust themselves magically to the wearer. Size should not keep characters of various kinds from using magic items.

There may be rare exceptions, especially with racial specific items.
Armor and Weapon Sizes

Armor and weapons that are found at random have a 30% chance of being Small (01-30), a 60% chance of being Medium (31-90), and a 10% chance of being any other size (91-100).
It should be fine.

sonofzeal
2012-02-15, 05:41 PM
It should be fine.
....unless you don't want it to work that way, in which case that's within your prerogative.

Coidzor
2012-02-15, 06:13 PM
....unless you don't want it to work that way, in which case that's within your prerogative.

Aye, but it's still not the sort of thing that should be left entirely as an unconsidered, kneejerk reaction either.

sonofzeal
2012-02-15, 06:35 PM
Aye, but it's still not the sort of thing that should be left entirely as an unconsidered, kneejerk reaction either.
Indeed. However, humanoid opponents can throw off WBL for precisely this reason. If they have enough swag to threaten the party, then often that leaves them with way too much loot for their level. Either every humanoid you fight is vastly over-levelled, or they're putting you way off your WBL. It's a bit of a problem, I've found.

mikau013
2012-02-16, 07:46 AM
Indeed. However, humanoid opponents can throw off WBL for precisely this reason. If they have enough swag to threaten the party, then often that leaves them with way too much loot for their level. Either every humanoid you fight is vastly over-levelled, or they're putting you way off your WBL. It's a bit of a problem, I've found.

Or they are spellcasters :smalltongue:

sonofzeal
2012-02-16, 08:21 AM
Or they are spellcasters :smalltongue:
Hey, have you seen how much a Wizard's spellbook is worth?

Mystify
2012-02-16, 08:29 AM
I beleive they reccomend limiting the number of humanoid NPCs you fight precisely so it doesn't throw of WBL. I had a campagin that was purely against humanoid NPCs. We were rolling in it. The DM eventually realized the mistake.

ericgrau
2012-02-16, 02:49 PM
The thing about magic vestment is that it scales slower than cheap gear. 1000 gp for +1 armor is passable at level 5, or at least much more tolerable than blowing your highest level spell on a +1. At level 8 4000 isn't too much for a tank. At level 12, 9000 is chump change. And at 16, 16000 is a joke. At 12 and 16 you might even want to go higher than what the spell is capable of.

There are two ways around this. One is to browse magic item compendium for +1 equivalent enchantments that are worth it so you can keep your armor's actual enhancement bonus at a +1. Core doesn't really have anything; even fortification is statistically far worse than simply getting another +1. The second way is to use it on people who aren't in the front lines all the time and won't spend money on +2 armor. Or maybe someone fights with two hands but sometimes switches to a shield, so you target the occasionally used shield with it so that he doesn't have to spend money on a decent shield that he barely uses.

I beleive they reccomend limiting the number of humanoid NPCs you fight precisely so it doesn't throw of WBL. I had a campagin that was purely against humanoid NPCs. We were rolling in it. The DM eventually realized the mistake.
The way around this, and the DM's other mistake, is to remember that only elite NPCs are supposed to get NPC wealth. Special foes with a name and prominence similar to the PCs. Others get regular treasure, the nonelite array for stats (high stat of 13), and often they'll have levels in NPC classes like warrior too.

Mystify
2012-02-16, 02:53 PM
The thing about magic vestment is that it scales slower than cheap gear. 1000 gp for +1 armor is passable at level 5, or at least much more tolerable than blowing your highest level spell on a +1. At level 8 4000 isn't too much for a tank. At level 12, 9000 is chump change. And at 16, 16000 is a joke. At 12 and 16 you might even want to go higher than what the spell is capable of.

There are two ways around this. One is to browse magic item compendium for +1 equivalent enchantments that are worth it so you can keep your armor's actual enhancement bonus at a +1. Core doesn't really have anything; even fortification is statistically far worse than simply getting another +1. The second way is to use it on people who aren't in the front lines all the time and won't spend money on +2 armor. Or maybe someone fights with two hands but sometimes switches to a shield, so you target the occasionally used shield with it so that he doesn't have to spend money on a decent shield that he barely uses.

The way around this, and the DM's other mistake, is to remember that only elite NPCs are supposed to get NPC wealth. Special foes with a name and prominence similar to the PCs. Others get regular treasure, the nonelite array for stats (high stat of 13), and often they'll have levels in NPC classes like warrior too.
And unlike weapons, getting your base enchantment from spells and stacking on a lot of special abilities instead is not nearly as appealing.

ericgrau
2012-02-16, 03:02 PM
What I might do instead as a cleric is take the craft magic arms and armor feat and craft armor to get it even cheaper. This scales at +1 per 3 caster levels. If you take the good domain you can get holy smite which lets you make one of the best weapon enchantments: holy. Now you can both greater magic weapon the party's weapons and give them nice non-enhancement bonus enchantments at half price. At level 12 you can both craft spell storing weapons for the party and charge them up with your spells.