PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Making odd firearm loads

panaikhan
2012-02-15, 09:01 AM
While watching the ResEvil series of films, I was struck with an idea.
Would it be possible to make 'scatter' style firearm loads with coins?
Thinking about it from a metagame point of view, it might make the shots actually cheaper...
Anyway - what modifications would using coins make, and would you allow them?

Chained Birds
2012-02-15, 11:24 AM
I'd probably lower the damage dice by 1 and maybe increase the misfire chance by 1 due to using ammunition not meant for such a weapon.

Though maybe you can get a gnome or some other crafter to develope a firearm that specifically uses gold coins for ammo. But would probably still by a damage dice lower than the regular firearm... But at least the ammo would be cheaper.

Spiryt
2012-02-15, 11:40 AM
If gold coins would be cheaper amunition than lead/iron bullets, then something broken with PF economics.... Unless we're talking about some weird realm where gold is pretty common, but then.... :smalltongue:

Krazzman
2012-02-15, 12:28 PM
Actually it costs the same. Crafting bullets (what you should as gunslinger) costs only 1/10th. If you are not a gunslinger then...yeah where do you even get the Gun?

The normal "balancing" point of firearms is: ZOMFG this is sooooo exotic and new. Therefore bullets are not common and require quite a good crafting for an npc which raises their price.

Cieyrin
2012-02-15, 01:11 PM
The rules actually already cover that, as if you load anything else besides pellets in a scatter weapon, the misfire rate goes up by 1. You still need a dose of black powder but that's it. Since the measure of a load for a scatter weapon is a handful, 5-6 coppers should be enough. You just have to suck up that misfire chance of 1-3 you now have for cutting costs.

Chained Birds
2012-02-15, 01:50 PM
The rules actually already cover that, as if you load anything else besides pellets in a scatter weapon, the misfire rate goes up by 1. You still need a dose of black powder but that's it. Since the measure of a load for a scatter weapon is a handful, 5-6 coppers should be enough. You just have to suck up that misfire chance of 1-3 you now have for cutting costs.

I figured those were the rules. I guess I was a little harsh with my initial theory.

Crasical
2012-02-15, 02:39 PM

Has no one started making a list of horrible crap to fire out of your blunderbuss yet? I would have figured someone would have suggested a dagger of that regenerating metal from BoED everyone loves smashed into bits and used as shot so that people have a dagger growing inside them.

stack
2012-02-15, 02:44 PM
The misfire chance is no big deal as long as you catch enough targets in the blast, as you roll individually and all have to be misfires. Scatter-guns are very safe.

Slipperychicken
2012-02-15, 04:21 PM
Has no one started making a list of horrible crap to fire out of your blunderbuss yet? I would have figured someone would have suggested a dagger of that regenerating metal from BoED everyone loves smashed into bits and used as shot so that people have a dagger growing inside them.

If Aboleth Mucus exists in Pathfinder, you could shoot that at people. A ball from a Tan Bag of Tricks could result in shooting a Rhino at your opponent (it only turns into an animal when tossed, so shooting should trigger it too).

Cieyrin
2012-02-15, 04:28 PM
The misfire chance is no big deal as long as you catch enough targets in the blast, as you roll individually and all have to be misfires. Scatter-guns are very safe.

Very true, except when you shoot Dragon's Fire, those ****ers blow up in your face a third of the time, since you can't roll a 1 on either die. It also means it skew your damage up, since you're doing 4-12 damage, average 8.

GreenZ
2012-02-15, 05:54 PM
Very true, except when you shoot Dragon's Fire, those ****ers blow up in your face a third of the time, since you can't roll a 1 on either die. It also means it skew your damage up, since you're doing 4-12 damage, average 8.

There's a visine feat for that. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/measured-response-combat)

HandofCrom
2012-02-15, 11:12 PM
For some reason I am picturing that teddy bear cannon from Fallout 3.

grarrrg
2012-02-15, 11:18 PM

Wouldn't it skew your damage DOWN since Misfire = 0 Damage?
Average 5.5555....

panaikhan
2012-02-16, 08:14 AM
Sorry for the sporadic posts - I don't always have internet access.
Anyway. OK, the missfire goes up. Kinda figured that.
Would the damage change?
More chance of a critical?
Slashing instead of bludgeoning?
Increased or decreased spread?
I know firing coins looks cool, but if it does not have a mechanical difference, i'll stick to standard shot.

Cieyrin
2012-02-16, 12:36 PM
Wouldn't it skew your damage DOWN since Misfire = 0 Damage?
Average 5.5555....

I was only assuming if you hit and that doesn't include if the targets save or not.

Sorry for the sporadic posts - I don't always have internet access.
Anyway. OK, the missfire goes up. Kinda figured that.
Would the damage change?
More chance of a critical?
Slashing instead of bludgeoning?
Increased or decreased spread?
I know firing coins looks cool, but if it does not have a mechanical difference, i'll stick to standard shot.

As I said, the only mechanical difference is the misfire chance increasing. If you want more of a difference than that, talk to your DM about custom alchemical loads.