PDA

View Full Version : Dresden Files Larp

Tyndmyr
2012-02-15, 10:09 AM
Aright...it turns out that rather a lot of larpers* I hang out with are fellow Dresden Files fans. As such, it looks like a possibility that I might be starting a fairly decently scaled Dresden Files larp. I have the books, of course, and have read them cover to cover.

However, there is a teensy problem...I've never actually gotten to play or DM this game before. So, I have a lack of experience in how this game scales up. Any suggestions or guidance for this? In particular, suggestions for handling starting power level and advancement rate would be very nice!

*For a definition of larp that basically involves wearing costumes to a tabletop game, and a lot of talking IC.

Xefas
2012-02-15, 10:53 AM
I'd like to help, but I'm not sure I see what the problem is. Use the starting power and advancement rate that everyone likes the most (IIRC, the book gives suggestions)? I don't see why wearing a costume to your tabletop game would change that, but maybe I'm missing something.

Tyndmyr
2012-02-15, 11:51 AM
It's more of, any tips for running with large groups, probably multiple DMs, and likely for rather long sessions on a monthly basis.

Sure, books give a lot of suggestions, but I tend to value experienced people saying "I tried this and this, and it turns out that X works really well."

Need_A_Life
2012-02-16, 07:15 AM
Using the DFRPG base:
I'd suggest condensing the skill list a bit (Driving, for example, usually won't be relevant in a LARP, probably condense Fists and Weapons into a Melee skill etc.).

Stunts and Powers should be bought for Refresh, as per usual. Starting Refresh and skill points should be agreed upon*.

Most events should be interaction on-location and any interactions with places outside that area should be undertaken by talking to a GM, who'll run a mini-session in, say, a basement.

I'd suggest simplifying the Magic system to minimize rolling. People can use Rote spells normally, assuming +0 dice rolls. Other magic has to be undertaken as Thaumaturgy (makes wizards less powerful, but they're plenty powerful so they can take it).

Make stress last per session/hour/15min rather than "scenes," as a scene can go by fast when people are just mingling. Talk to some guy for a while (scene), get in a fight (scene), go outside for a smoke and chat with someone (scene) etc.

In case you understand Danish or if you're willing to use Google Translate: Vampire Junction LARP (Denmark) (http://kampagner.net/junction/regler/)
Feel free to steal ideas from this. It's the current rule system of a V:tM LARP that's been going on for... 10 years, I think?

* Alternately, make it pure point buy, where people have, say 50xp, pay 1xp per step in a skill (ignoring the Skill Pyramid) and Refresh costing 3xp pr. Refresh.