PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Expanding on Aid Another in Combat

Myou
2012-02-15, 02:46 PM
Hey guys, I've been on a looooong break from DMing, so I'm revising all my old house rules before starting a new game. This is my expanded Aid another rule. What do you think? Broken? Good? Overcomplicated?

The Aid Another action functions in the following way when used in combat: In melee or ranged combat, you can help an ally attack or defend by distracting or interfering with an opponent.

• Defensive Bonus: If you’re in position to make an attack against an opponent that is attacking or may attack your ally you can attempt to aid your ally as a standard action. You make an attack roll against the opponent’s AC divided by two. If you succeed, your ally gains a +2 bonus to AC against that opponent’s attacks until the beginning of your next turn. Multiple characters can aid the same ally, and the similar bonuses stack.

• Offensive Bonus: If you and your ally are in position to each make an attack against an opponent you can attempt to aid your ally as a standard action. You make an attack roll against the opponent’s AC divided by two. If you succeed, your ally gains a +2 bonus on his next attack roll against that opponent, as long as that attack comes before the beginning of your next turn. Multiple characters can aid the same ally, and the similar bonuses stack.

Aegis013
2012-02-15, 02:57 PM
I like the defensive bonus, although I would change it to making a touch attack rather than AC/2. As far as the offensive bonus, it sounds like harder-to-do flanking to me.

Myou
2012-02-15, 03:20 PM
I like the defensive bonus, although I would change it to making a touch attack rather than AC/2. As far as the offensive bonus, it sounds like harder-to-do flanking to me.

With regards to the hit bonus, that's the bonus the original Aid Another action gives in combat. But the benefit is that it stacks with flanking and with itself, can be done at range or at angles which wouldn't give flanking bonuses, and works even against characters that can't be flanked.

I've been toying with hitting their touch AC rather than total AC halved.

What's the advantage in your opinion, of using touch AC? I'm not sure which is better.

Ernir
2012-02-15, 03:24 PM
It's only slightly different from the existing rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#aidAnother). I'd suggest just replacing the relevant terms with your own, rather than rewriting the whole thing. Cuts down on confusion.

The old aid another action also already stacks with flanking and with itself, by the way. =/

Lapak
2012-02-15, 03:29 PM
With regards to the hit bonus, that's the bonus the original Aid Another action gives in combat. But the benefit is that it stacks with flanking and with itself, can be done at range or at angles which wouldn't give flanking bonuses, and works even against characters that can't be flanked.

I've been toying with hitting their touch AC rather than total AC halved.

What's the advantage in your opinion, of using touch AC? I'm not sure which is better.Touch AC makes sense to me, if you're envisioning this as 'I bang on the enemy's weapon/armor more in an attempt to distract them them to actually hurt them.'

Myou
2012-02-15, 03:29 PM
It's only slightly different from the existing rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#aidAnother). I'd suggest just replacing the relevant terms with your own, rather than rewriting the whole thing. Cuts down on confusion.

The old aid another action also already stacks with flanking and with itself, by the way. =/

Uh, I don't really know what you mean - this is my replacement for the original Aid Another action.

Ernir
2012-02-15, 04:21 PM
Uh, I don't really know what you mean - this is my replacement for the original Aid Another action.

I mean that I think you changed the wording around more than is necessary. Retaining as much as possible allows an experienced 3.5 reader to find the changes more quickly.

Does this catch the meaning of what you meant to do?

In melee or ranged combat, you can help a friend attack or defend by distracting or interfering with an opponent. If you’re in position to make a melee or ranged attack on an opponent that is engaging a friend in melee combat, you can attempt to aid your friend as a standard action. You make an attack roll against AC 10 the opponent’s AC divided by two. If you succeed, your friend gains either a +2 bonus on his next attack roll against that opponent or a +2 bonus to AC against that opponent’s next attacks (your choice), as long as that attack comes before until the beginning of your next turn. Multiple characters can aid the same friend, and similar bonuses stack.

You can also use this standard action to help a friend in other ways, such as when he is affected by a spell, or to assist another character’s skill check.

Myou
2012-02-16, 11:01 AM
Touch AC makes sense to me, if you're envisioning this as 'I bang on the enemy's weapon/armor more in an attempt to distract them them to actually hurt them.'

Well, I didn't try to pin down the in-world explanation - it could be just aiming an attack such that the opponent's dodging disrupts their own ability to attack or herds them into the attack your ally makes. But it could also be things like hitting their weapon and the like too. The thing is that touch AC can be a lot more variable than half total AC, and a lot higher, which would make the action less reliable. I want the action to be reliable against foes who are higher level, but I also don't want a flock of commoners with crossbows to be able to render an epic level enemy unable to dodge.

I mean that I think you changed the wording around more than is necessary. Retaining as much as possible allows an experienced 3.5 reader to find the changes more quickly.

Does this catch the meaning of what you meant to do?

Ah, I see. I might do something like that once the mechanics are settled. :smallsmile:

Person_Man
2012-02-16, 11:20 AM
Note that any tinkering to the Aid Another rules opens up additional "nanobots" abuse options. Cast Animate Objects (creates 1 per caster level) or a similar Summons, and have each of them Aid Another, granting massive bonuses.

Myou
2012-02-16, 04:47 PM
Note that any tinkering to the Aid Another rules opens up additional "nanobots" abuse options. Cast Animate Objects (creates 1 per caster level) or a similar Summons, and have each of them Aid Another, granting massive bonuses.

That's why the target roll is based on the opponent, not based on DC 10.