PDA

View Full Version : 3.5E Druid build help

macdaddy
2012-02-15, 03:23 PM
I have read over a few different druid handbook sites/etc, and am looking to create a druid build, I will begin play at 1st level.

Race: Human
Rolled Stats:
S:14
D:12
C:14
I:12
W:18
Cha:11

Feats:
B: Spell Focus(Conjuration)
1: Augment Summoning
3: Natures Bond (assuming removes the level malus associated with better animal companions, otherwise....?)
6: Natural Spell
9: ?
12: ?
15: ?
18: ?

Possible Additional Feats: Rapid Spell?, not sure of what else.

So my thoughts are that I will mix summoner and wild shaper together. Early on I will rely on being a summoner and go into combat against select opponents, later a combat critter. I will generally use weaker forms/summons, and only go for the really strong forms/summons when the GM is ratcheting up the opposition, so as not to break the game. At heart, I am a power gamer, and always end up making optimized min/maxed characters :). However, this time, while I will still make a powerful character, I intend to show some restraint in how I use that power. :smallcool:

As you can see, I have the first few levels planned out, but am completely clueless about what to do after level 6. I am not sure what is good to take, having not played a druid in a long, long, long, long time.

I have access to most of the standard books ( PHBI &II, DMG I&II, Complete XX [Arcane, Divine, Warrior, Adventurer, Mage, Champion], Spell compendium).

I do NOT have access to the more esoteric books [Heroes of Horror, Libris Mortis, Exalted Deeds, Races of Stone, Races of Faerun].

Amphetryon
2012-02-15, 04:48 PM
Most DMs I've seen don't let Natural Bond work on a straight Druid to improve your Animal Companion. Consider Extend Spell instead.

Rapid Spell is indeed a splendid idea. I'd also consider Cloudy Conjuration from Complete Mage (if memory serves) to help your critters come into play with a rider effect. Repeat Spell or Twin Spell doubles the fun of your summonings. Improved Initiative never hurts.

Gavinfoxx
2012-02-15, 04:57 PM
So what do you want your feats to focus on?

Non-Summoning Spellcasting?
Wild Shape?
Having powerful animals follow you around?
Summoning?

Godskook
2012-02-15, 05:45 PM
Most DMs I've seen don't let Natural Bond work on a straight Druid to improve your Animal Companion. Consider Extend Spell instead.

For an Ape or a Badger? Cause in the case of an Ape, RAW says you're getting a +3 bonus from Natural Bond, while for a Badger, RAW makes the feat worthless.(Assuming straight-classed Druid)

(Note: I just picked 2 random animals off two relevant lists of options)

Amphetryon
2012-02-15, 05:55 PM
For an Ape or a Badger? Cause in the case of an Ape, RAW says you're getting a +3 bonus from Natural Bond, while for a Badger, RAW makes the feat worthless.(Assuming straight-classed Druid)

(Note: I just picked 2 random animals off two relevant lists of options)

For any Animal Companion for a straight Druid, regardless of where you're picking the AC from within the list. YMMV, but every DM I've dealt with only allows it to work for multiclass Druids or other builds without full AC/Class progression, in much the same way every DM I've dealt with won't let you use Practiced Caster on a straight Wizard to increase CL.

Godskook
2012-02-15, 06:02 PM
For any Animal Companion for a straight Druid, regardless of where you're picking the AC from within the list. YMMV, but every DM I've dealt with only allows it to work for multiclass Druids or other builds without full AC/Class progression, in much the same way every DM I've dealt with won't let you use Practiced Caster on a straight Wizard to increase CL.

1.For the Ape, your DM is ruling against RAW, so I agree, its a YMMV situation.

2.For the Badger, your DM agrees with RAW.

3.For a straight-classed wizard with practiced caster, your DM is also just simply agreeing with RAW(except for that one UA trait.....), cause that feat can't go past your HD.

Amphetryon
2012-02-15, 08:33 PM
1.For the Ape, your DM is ruling against RAW, so I agree, its a YMMV situation.

2.For the Badger, your DM agrees with RAW.

3.For a straight-classed wizard with practiced caster, your DM is also just simply agreeing with RAW(except for that one UA trait.....), cause that feat can't go past your HD.

Please note I indicated multiple DMs.

imneuromancer
2012-02-16, 01:25 PM
H:SF: Conj
1: Ashbound (from Eberron, doubles length of summons which at this level is important)
3: Augment Summoning
6: Natural Spell (what else?)
9: Summon Elemental from Complete Mage
12: Quicken Spell
15: Feat that overcomes problems you have had in the campaign
18: Feat that overcomes problems you have had in the campaign

NOhara24
2012-02-16, 06:29 PM
Race: Human
Rolled Stats:
S:14
I:12
Cha:11

I'd see if I could talk your DM into letting you swap your stats around. You won't really need STR because you'll be wildshaped all the time. I'd do something like...

S:11
I:14
C:12

That way you at least have something helping you if you ever choose to try and use wild empathy. And if the game progresses to the point where Craft: Wondrous Item becomes useful you'll have had enough skill points to throw around.