PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Shield Ranger advice please

Exil3dbyrd
2012-02-15, 05:06 PM
I am playing a ranger focusing on using his shield as weapons. I picked the Sword and Board combat style and weilded a single shield until I got level 6 and Shield Master. Now I am at a bit of a conondrum on what to do next. Should i continue playing the ranger, multiclass or take a prestige class? My race is a homebrewed one based off of the Kodan in Guild Wars 2, the important racial is the ability to weild weapons that are one size catagory larger with no penalty. While 3.5 material is allowed on a point by point approval from the GM, I would rather stick with PF if possible. Here is what I have so far. Any advice on what would give me the most bang for my buck to continue this character along the same path he is on right now would be very appreciated.

Krakow Ren, Kodan Ranger Infiltrator 6
STR 20 DEX 14 CON 14 INT 11 WIS 12 CHA 8

BAB 6 Fort 7 Ref 7 Will 2
AC 23 (8 +2 Breastplate, 2 Dex, 3 +1 Large Shield)

Feats
1 Improved Shield Bash
2b Shield Slam
3 Power Attack
3b Endurance
5 Combat Reflexes
6b Shield Master

Spells
Lead Blades x2

Class Features
Favored Enemy(Giants+4, Elves+2)
Track
Wild Empathy
Combat Style(Weapon & Shield)
Adaptation(Giant); Lunge(Reach and -2 AC for 10 min 6/day)
Hunter's Bond (Canary)

Weapons 2x +1 Large Spiked Large Shield of Bashing
3d6(4d6 w/ Lead Blades)

+12/+12/+7 3d6 + 6 + Free Bullrush at attack roll +1
+10/+10/+5 4d6 + 10 (w/ Power attack & Lead Blades) + Free Bullrush at attack roll +1

HandofCrom
2012-02-15, 07:24 PM
I love the new horizon walker if you prestige. With terrain dominance, you get your favored terrain bonus as a favored enemy bonus against all creatures native to that terrain. Favored terrain bonus can be boosted with magic items and that favored terrain rogue trick, so the boost can be silly high (breaking +20 easy at high levels), you can use the spell instant enemy to get the bonus against anyone, and if you have the companions boon, you can give it to your buddies.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you still need all the 2-weapon feats to fight with your shield, like the 2-weapon feat to use it effectively, improved and greater version for iteratives, and double strike for full strength and power attack on the shield?

Hiro Protagonest
2012-02-15, 07:31 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you still need all the 2-weapon feats to fight with your shield, like the 2-weapon feat to use it effectively, improved and greater version for iteratives, and double strike for full strength and power attack on the shield?

Not if you-re attacking with only your shield.

But given that he's wielding two...

Chained Birds
2012-02-15, 09:22 PM
I think Shield Mastery negates the penalties for TWF when using your shield (Though I could be thinking of another shield feat).

deuxhero
2012-02-15, 09:47 PM
I love the new horizon walker if you prestige.

Too bad it lost HW's two good things: Shifting and Aligned. Ask your DM if you can have them back.

MeeposFire
2012-02-16, 02:03 AM
I think Shield Mastery negates the penalties for TWF when using your shield (Though I could be thinking of another shield feat).

Technically it eliminates all penalties while using s shield to attack including things like power attack or more importantly the penalties for using imp and greater two weapon fighting (that is right all your iteritives with your off hand weapon would be at the same bonus). Unless it has been changed since the last time I looked.

Exil3dbyrd
2012-02-16, 07:25 AM
Shield mastery says "You do not suffer any penalties on attack rolls made with a shield while you are wielding another weapon". My DM has ruled that it just negates the normal penalties for two weapon fighting (no free power attack) so in essence it is a more powerful duplicate of the two-weapon fighting feat. However I have to take two-weapon fighting to get improved and greater TWF. But my dex doest support that yet so I havent bothered.

I hadn't thought about horizon walker as i had given up my favored terrain for the Infiltrator archtype, but I see that it's not a pre-req. The only problem i see with it is that we are more of a world traveling adventure group so half the time i would not be in a favored terrain.

What do people think about the brawler archtype for fighters, would a 3 or more level dip in that be worth losing or delaying the 2nd and 3rd level ranger spells, plus more lead the blades. Or maybe a dip in another psuedo-casting class for buff spells...?