PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Clockwork Gloves?

Crasical
2012-02-15, 06:27 PM
Is it possible to build a device that combines a locked gauntlet, a spring sheathe, and a Weapon Cord to let me rapidly ready a free hand when I need it? How much would such a device cost?

Here are the relevant items:

Spring Sheath (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/goods-and-services#TOC-Wrist-Sheath-spring-loaded): (5gp) swift action release, full action reset, +2 to sleight of hand.
Weapon Cord (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/goods-and-services#TOC-Weapon-Cord): (1s) Swift action recover, Full action to detach
Locked gauntlet (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/armor/gauntlet-locked) (8gp) Deal lethal damage w. unarmed strike, +10 vs. Disarm

And here is a clumsy writeup for the combined device.

This clockwork device is designed to be worn as a gauntlet, and contains multiple tiny springs and gears that allow it to extend or retract small objects at the flick of a wrist.

As a swift action, the gauntlet can release a forearm length object such as a dagger, wand, or bundle of arrow or crossbow bolts from a hidden compartment, instantly readying them to be used. As a free action, the item can also be partially retracted to leave the user's hand free to hold or carry other objects, but the partially retracted item may interfere with finer actions and makes wielding a weapon in that hand impossible, though it is still possible to attack with the gauntlet itself. A partialy retracted item can be readied again with a swift action, and as a full round action that provokes attacks of opportunities a partially retracted item may be fully retracted or removed from the gauntlet.

While an item is fully retracted into the clockwork gauntlet, it is difficult to notice, and the wearer recives a +2 bonus on sleight of hand checks made to oppose someone observing or frisking you.

When an item is readied, it can be locked into position with a full round action that provokes attacks of opportunities. When locked into position, you recieve a +10 bonus to your CMD to prevent being disarmed, but cannot retract the object at all.

Would you allow this sort of item in your games?

Need_A_Life
2012-02-15, 07:19 PM
Yes. Probably price it at 25gp, but I don't see why not.

You could have a Locked Gaunlet with a Weapon Cord on one hand and a Spring Sheath on the other to begin with, so all this changes is that you could switch to and from bows easier.
... of course, I tend to under-utilize Disarm when GMing and over-utilize it as a player, so all I see from that +10 against Disarm is "uuh, a challenger appears" :smallwink:

Crasical
2012-02-15, 07:31 PM
I worry because this lets you retrieve an item as a swift action and 'store' it as a free action for negligible cost. That's about 80% of what a Glove of Storing can do, it's nonmagical, and you can have one on each hand. A glove of storing costs 10k gold and you can only wear one of them.

Chained Birds
2012-02-15, 09:29 PM
Okay, then we'll up the price to 50gp. But then again, there have been a lot of mundane objects that work very well compared to a similar magical weapon or enchantment.
You brought up Weapon Cord which pretty much is 80% of the Returning Weapon Enchantment. So you spend 1sp on an item that would magically cost you +4300gp.

Rossebay
2012-02-15, 09:34 PM
Okay, then we'll up the price to 50gp. But then again, there have been a lot of mundane objects that work very well compared to a similar magical weapon or enchantment.
You brought up Weapon Cord which pretty much is 80% of the Returning Weapon Enchantment. So you spend 1sp on an item that would magically cost you +4300gp.

Uhh, hey... As an example.

Bag of Holding - Horse.
Yaaay!
Bracers of Armor - Armor

I mean, there are nonmagical ways to do (almost) anything.

Crasical
2012-02-15, 09:48 PM
So somewhere between 25-50 gold is a fair price for this sort of thing, you would say?

balistafreak
2012-02-15, 09:55 PM
The 3.5 book Dungeonscape has the non-clockwork, strings-tied-to-wands approach to this called a "Wand Bracer" if I recall correctly. Only worked with wands, but I'm sure this is hardly a stretch.

Heatwizard
2012-02-15, 10:15 PM
The 3.5 book Dungeonscape has the non-clockwork, strings-tied-to-wands approach to this called a "Wand Bracer" if I recall correctly. Only worked with wands, but I'm sure this is hardly a stretch.

Doesn't let you put the wands back as a free action, though; it recommends just throwing 'em to the floor.

grarrrg
2012-02-15, 10:19 PM

Ummm, no.

Returning is for Throwing weapons.

Weapon Cord is "2-foot-long leather straps that attach your weapon to your wrist."

Squares are 5 feet. Using basic rounding rules 2/5 = 0.

Good luck getting a lot of use out of a Throwing Weapon that has a 0 foot range.

Weapon Cords are mainly designed for Melee Weapons. Either in case of being Disarmed, or if you need to quickly grab a Potion or something.

Chained Birds
2012-02-15, 11:33 PM
Ummm, no.

Returning is for Throwing weapons.

Weapon Cord is "2-foot-long leather straps that attach your weapon to your wrist."

Squares are 5 feet. Using basic rounding rules 2/5 = 0.

Good luck getting a lot of use out of a Throwing Weapon that has a 0 foot range.

Weapon Cords are mainly designed for Melee Weapons. Either in case of being Disarmed, or if you need to quickly grab a Potion or something.

How does 40-60% then. You can use it for more than just thrown weapons, and it lets you retrieve a dropped or disarmed weapon with little problem. Though throwing the weapon become obsolete, unless you can convince your DM to make the Weapon Cord 10-20ft long.

Crasical
2012-02-16, 04:23 PM
I originally had the idea of these as part of the weapon system for a suit of clockwork armor. Sadly I plan on having the pilot be a Gunslinger, and since I haven't been able to find equivalents of the 'working together' and 'common item effects' rules from the Magic Item compendium (P. 232-234), so even with Master Craftsman, I can't give the armor any special effects to give it a good contraption feel, only +X.

grarrrg
2012-02-16, 05:29 PM
I originally had the idea of these as part of the weapon system for a suit of clockwork armor.

Scroll down to "Construct Armor (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/building-and-modifying-constructs)".

You're welcome.

Crasical
2012-02-16, 06:39 PM
Scroll down to "Construct Armor (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/building-and-modifying-constructs)".

You're welcome.

1. I can't take Craft Construct, Master Craftsman only lets me use my skill ranks as caster level for two feats, Craft Magic Arms and Armor and Craft Wonderous Item.

2. At the very cheapest, a medium metal animated object turned into Construct Armor would cost 40,000 gold, and provides minimal benefit.

IthroZada
2012-02-16, 07:35 PM
1. I can't take Craft Construct, Master Craftsman only lets me use my skill ranks as caster level for two feats, Craft Magic Arms and Armor and Craft Wonderous Item.

2. At the very cheapest, a medium metal animated object turned into Construct Armor would cost 40,000 gold, and provides minimal benefit.

Raise DC by 5, remove need for caster levels.
Wait, nevermind, you can't even get the feat without the caster levels.

Crasical
2012-02-16, 08:16 PM
Raise DC by 5, remove need for caster levels.
Wait, nevermind, you can't even get the feat without the caster levels.

No, but you do remind me that I can ignore the requirement for specific spells by raising the DC by 5. Thanks!

grarrrg
2012-02-16, 08:33 PM
No, but you do remind me that I can ignore the requirement for specific spells by raising the DC by 5. Thanks!

Hey, you wanted "clockwork" armor.
This is fairly close.
And you didn't specify a price :smalltongue:

Crasical
2012-02-16, 08:53 PM
Hey, you wanted "clockwork" armor.
This is fairly close.
And you didn't specify a price :smalltongue:

Indeed, and construct armor is absolutely sweet, if pricey and difficult to use.

Chained Birds
2012-02-16, 11:56 PM
I remember playing a Boggle Wizard Craftsman whose Animated Object (Wagon) was given the Construct Armor thing. In essence, he would shout the command word and the wagon would transform into a Huge battle suit with several nifty secondary weapons. Twas glorious!
Though it was really expensive... :smallfrown:

I imagine yours to be twice as expensive as my battle suit.

Crasical
2012-02-17, 01:00 AM
Technically, construct armor has to be the same size as your character.