PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Smite Evil and Critical Hits

Laniius
2012-02-15, 07:25 PM
On a critical hit, is the smite evil damage muliplied? What if I am on horseback and charging with a lance? What if I am on horseback, charging with a lance, and have the spirited charge feat? What if I'm on horseback, with a lance, and have the mounted blade feat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/local-feats/mounted-blade)? How does mounted blade work with a lance?

jmelesky
2012-02-15, 08:13 PM
On a critical hit, is the smite evil damage muliplied?

Yep. The rule is, unless otherwise specified, flat bonuses (like Str) get multiplied, but dice-based bonuses (like Sneak Attack +2d6) do not.

What if I am on horseback and charging with a lance? What if I am on horseback, charging with a lance, and have the spirited charge feat?

Same answer.

What if I'm on horseback, with a lance, and have the mounted blade feat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/local-feats/mounted-blade)? How does mounted blade work with a lance?

Same answer, except you're making two attacks instead of one.

ArcGygas
2012-02-15, 08:22 PM
On a critical hit, is the smite evil damage muliplied? What if I am on horseback and charging with a lance? What if I am on horseback, charging with a lance, and have the spirited charge feat? What if I'm on horseback, with a lance, and have the mounted blade feat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/local-feats/mounted-blade)? How does mounted blade work with a lance?

Works just like the Cavalier's Challenge and charging.

You multiply the damage bonus by the multiplier (x2 for Lance, x3 for Spirited Charge). Same goes for Power Attack, Strength, Magic Bonus, etc. The only things that don't are dice adders, like Vital Strike, Sneak Attack, etc.

So, some quick math for, let's say 20th level Paladin on a mount with a Lance charging a target of Smite Evil. We'll go with a 30 Strength (which is a +10).

3d8 (Medium Lance) + 60 (Paladin level x3) + 54 (Power Attack) + 15 (Weapon Enchant) + 45 (Strx1.5 x3) + anything I may have forgotten! = 176 -197 points of damage on the charge. Add another 60 if the target is an Evil Outsider, Evil Dragon, or Undead for 236-257 on the charge. And, should you crit, make it 5d8 + 180 + 162 + 45 + 135 if my memory serves me correctly (I could be off and instead it goes from x3 to x5?) which is 495 - 532.

Laniius
2012-02-16, 12:57 AM
I'm not sure I get this.

I am using a small lance (I am a halfling). I have 16 strength.

My regular lance damage is 1d6 + 5 (it's a light lance)

While charging with spirited charge, it would be 3d6 + 15 (3x multiplier)

While charging with spirited charge, if I crit would it be multiplied by 3 again (3x crit modifier on a lance), givine me 9d6 + 45?

Now if I was smiting

My smite damage would be 1d6 + 5 + 8 or 1d6 + 13 (level 8)

my spirited charge damage would be 3d6 + 39 (3x multiplier)

would my crit damage on a charge be 9d6 + 117?

Xerinous
2012-02-16, 02:13 AM
Generally, when dealing with more than one multiplier, you add them, with each successive multiplier giving one less than it is listed as, not multiply them. So if you crit with a lance on a spirited charge, you would deal five times the normal damage.

So the damage would be 5d6+25. With the Smite, it would be 5d6 +65.

mikau013
2012-02-16, 07:38 AM
Yep. The rule is, unless otherwise specified, flat bonuses (like Str) get multiplied, but dice-based bonuses (like Sneak Attack +2d6) do not.

Can you provide a source for that? I can't find it in the Pathfinder rules.
Though I do agree you multiply smite, since you multiply all damage except for precision and additional damage dice from special weapon qualities afaik.

jmelesky
2012-02-16, 10:08 AM
Can you provide a source for that? I can't find it in the Pathfinder rules.

Not offhand, no. The combat rules have this about crits, which is in the same vein:

Exception: Precision damage (such as from a rogue's sneak attack class feature) and additional damage dice from special weapon qualities (such as flaming) are not multiplied when you score a critical hit.

I have seen it stated more explicitly that flat = multiplied, dice = not, but it may have been a paizo message board clarification.