PDA

View Full Version : PMA - Mighty Magic

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

planswalker
2012-02-15, 07:36 PM
The Roman Empire ruled for centuries, bolstered by the power of legendary pokemon they had befriended or captured. However, when the latest corrupt emperor began abusing and neglecting his victini, it rebelled, and a simultaneous attack by "barbarian" hordes on the capital itself left the empire in disarray overnight.

Chaos ensued worldwide, as many other dynasties that had been using legendary pokemon as allies or slaves found a small, fiery pokemon would visit their power source late at night and in the morning, the legendary would turn on them, often wreaking much damage before escaping. Many generations later, very few governments larger than a barony remain. There is a collection of powerful legendary pokemon out there that actively hates humanity, and infighting among humans after the collapse still has not died down. Though many calamities have happened in the intervening time, some of the more powerful landed nobles are beginning to consolidate even larger swaths of land underneath their influence.

In this time of upheaval, there are three whose stars shine a little brighter than the rest. Between the three of them, there is a touch of might and magic about them. Perhaps destiny has touched them for something greater than what they were.

TheFallenSon
2012-02-15, 10:10 PM
His booted feet fell heavily across the worn cobbles of the old Roman road. It had been nearly a week since he and Thviti sent their fellows to Valhalla. Pyres had been built, men put to rest in the old way, in the right way...even those fallen monsters had been given proper rites, they were the grandchildren of Lokis greatest grandchildren...the blood of a god had pulsed in each one...it was right to treat them as such...

So it was that those heavy booted feet pulled him forward. His body was covered in soot still, the ashes of heroes stained his clothes and had darkened his hair, Thviti was streaked with ash as well. His dark gray hide had a dullness from it all...They had not found the time to rest, to clean. Purpose drove them now. The head of a Farkmyr dangled from Thviti's side, as did a bit of gear. Aelwulf new that the God Beast beside him likely begrudged that gory trophy...but it would be neccesary for them to claim the blood price they were owed.
"My friend, it seems we are nearing a village...I can smell the smoke from their fires...and the foul sweet of night soil in a pit...these people are Likely dirt farmers"He looked over to the beast beside him. His hand would gently stoke it's large crest. It had become a...thing for them. I wonder what it means to him when I do that...I find solace in his strength...what destiny has old Odin One Eye put before us now? They would stand there, watching the town. Each lost in thought? Waiting, watching, then moving again Aelwulfs hand drifting away from Thviti as they neared the gates.

hustlertwo
2012-02-15, 10:43 PM
Edon trudged along, his heart heavy as he stared at the gem in his hand.

I hope you are worth it, Hokum. I threw away everything I had for you.

Not that it was all that much, I suppose. But all I have now is a slothful floating abomination and a vague inkling of what do with it. Need to find someone more in tune with these...things.

The teenager stops and looks about, hoping to find someone whose gear and poise marks them as a trainer of beasts.

Can we have the sheet links put in the first page of this thread for reference?

planswalker
2012-02-15, 11:11 PM
His booted feet fell heavily across the worn cobbles of the old Roman road. It had been nearly a week since he and Thviti sent their fellows to Valhalla. Pyres had been built, men put to rest in the old way, in the right way...even those fallen monsters had been given proper rites, they were the grandchildren of Lokis greatest grandchildren...the blood of a god had pulsed in each one...it was right to treat them as such...

So it was that those heavy booted feet pulled him forward. His body was covered in soot still, the ashes of heroes stained his clothes and had darkened his hair, Thviti was streaked with ash as well. His dark gray hide had a dullness from it all...They had not found the time to rest, to clean. Purpose drove them now. The head of a Farkmyr dangled from Thviti's side, as did a bit of gear. Aelwulf new that the God Beast beside him likely begrudged that gory trophy...but it would be neccesary for them to claim the blood price they were owed.
"My friend, it seems we are nearing a village...I can smell the smoke from their fires...and the foul sweet of night soil in a pit...these people are Likely dirt farmers"He looked over to the beast beside him. His hand would gently stoke it's large crest. It had become a...thing for them. I wonder what it means to him when I do that...I find solace in his strength...what destiny has old Odin One Eye put before us now? They would stand there, watching the town. Each lost in thought? Waiting, watching, then moving again Aelwulfs hand drifting away from Thviti as they neared the gates.

The small hamlet has no gates or walls, only a pair of streets that cut through the town. You notice a man who seems to be talking to a crystal in his hand come walking your direction from outside of town. Immediately before you is a smithy and stables. There is a powerfully built man at the forge hammering out a piece of iron.

Edon trudged along, his heart heavy as he stared at the gem in his hand.

I hope you are worth it, Hokum. I threw away everything I had for you.

Not that it was all that much, I suppose. But all I have now is a slothful floating abomination and a vague inkling of what do with it. Need to find someone more in tune with these...things.

The teenager stops and looks about, hoping to find someone whose gear and poise marks them as a trainer of beasts.

Can we have the sheet links put in the first page of this thread for reference?

As you walk up to the small village, you notice a man covered in soot standing next to a similarly sooty rhyhorn. Immediately beyond him is a smithy and stables. There is a powerfully built man at the forge hammering out a piece of iron.

hustlertwo
2012-02-15, 11:17 PM
There's a grimy sort of creature. The monster seems a sight as well. Quite large, I must say.

He looks once more to the crystal containing Hokum, feeling a vague sort of inferiority complex. He still approaches the pair, however. A little filth doesn't faze someone from a farming community.

Ho there. What's that rough-looking thing you have there?

Menarker
2012-02-15, 11:22 PM
*BMP**BMP* "Ugh..."

Davis grunted as he dragged along a small cart that jumped skitishly over the cobbles and potholes of the road.

"Kip kip!" A small cute figure remarked as it had bounced twice on this bumpy ride.

"You wanna walk instead?", Davis quipped playfully. "Don't worry, Nero. We're almost there. Maybe we can get a snack after." The chore of tugging a heavy cart across an ill-maintained road to trade food for his family's inn like any other day made him sweat hard into his tunic and leather vest. He kept the gem that had claimed this blue and orange creature within close reach in a pocket, but as peaceful as the trip was, he'd probably needn't have bothered, as the huts with thatched roofs became visible.

"Ok, we're here. Back inside for now while I talk business." He pointed the gem toward the pokemon.
"Mud-ip!"

A coarse wave of energy connected with Nero as his form was beckoned into the gem which shone pleasantly with its life energy. Davis then regripped the cart and trodded inside the immediate vicinity.

TheFallenSon
2012-02-15, 11:41 PM
"This is the war beast Thviti, my companion, I am Aelwulf, we have cone to claim blood price for this wizard" he gestures rather abruptly to the severed head dangling from Thviti's body.

Thviti pushes his side out, jutting his hips to emphasis the abrupt point."Rhy, Rhy, Horn, Rhy"

"Thviti says he was an evil and hurtful man, a bandit. Do you know where the headman for this hovel is?" he went to Thviti and again strokes his crest. His eyes drifting with longing to the smithy. He loved the clang of metal against metal...it...called to him.

hustlertwo
2012-02-15, 11:50 PM
The boy looks on at the head with revulsion.

Contract killing. Seems an empty, soul-crushing life. To what end do you collect this money?

He then notices Aelwulf's attentions directed toward the forge.

While the monstrous thing I have is not quite so impressive-looking as yours, it might be something of interest to you. Come out, Hokum!

A one-eyed metallic orb emerges from the quartz, floating languidly at eye level with the humans. He seems to emit a constant faint hum, and the light gleams off of his polished hide.

Edon also takes this opportunity to wave the wand over the Rhyhorn.

Hmmm, is this how you do it, Ser Aelwulf? Oh, and I am Edon, by the way. Hokum's...owner. I know of no headmaster here. My community is a bit further south.

planswalker
2012-02-16, 12:06 AM
*BMP**BMP* "Ugh..."

Davis grunted as he dragged along a small cart that jumped skitishly over the cobbles and potholes of the road.

"Kip kip!" A small cute figure remarked as it had bounced twice on this bumpy ride.

"You wanna walk instead?", Davis quipped playfully. "Don't worry, Nero. We're almost there. Maybe we can get a snack after." The chore of tugging a heavy cart across an ill-maintained road to trade food for his family's inn like any other day made him sweat hard into his tunic and leather vest. He kept the gem that had claimed this blue and orange creature within close reach in a pocket, but as peaceful as the trip was, he'd probably needn't have bothered, as the huts with thatched roofs became visible.

"Ok, we're here. Back inside for now while I talk business." He pointed the gem toward the pokemon.
"Mud-ip!"

A coarse wave of energy connected with Nero as his form was beckoned into the gem which shone pleasantly with its life energy. Davis then regripped the cart and trodded inside the immediate vicinity.

You see a pair of lads with a pair of pokemon discussing something in front of the smithy. The merchant who buys the produce is just beyond them, but the sooty one's rhyhorn is blocking the road.

"This is the war beast Thviti, my companion, I am Aelwulf, we have cone to claim blood price for this wizard" he gestures rather abruptly to the severed head dangling from Thviti's body.

Thviti pushes his side out, jutting his hips to emphasis the abrupt point."Rhy, Rhy, Horn, Rhy"

"Thviti says he was an evil and hurtful man, a bandit. Do you know where the headman for this hovel is?" he went to Thviti and again strokes his crest. His eyes drifting with longing to the smithy. He loved the clang of metal against metal...it...called to him.

The boy looks on at the head with revulsion.

Contract killing. Seems an empty, soul-crushing life. To what end do you collect this money?

He then notices Aelwulf's attentions directed toward the forge.

While the monstrous thing I have is not quite so impressive-looking as yours, it might be something of interest to you. Come out, Hokum!

A one-eyed metallic orb emerges from the quartz, floating languidly at eye level with the humans. He seems to emit a constant faint hum, and the light gleams off of his polished hide.

Edon also takes this opportunity to wave the wand over the Rhyhorn.

Hmmm, is this how you do it, Ser Aelwulf? Oh, and I am Edon, by the way. Hokum's...owner. I know of no headmaster here. My community is a bit further south.

The two of you notice another young lad in a cart pull up on the road.

hustlertwo
2012-02-16, 12:12 AM
Edon feels a slight twinge of excitement in spite of himself as he spies another of the mystical creatures, this one substantially cuter than the befouled rock beast. As soon as the scan is complete on Thviti he hustles over to the rickety cart to engage the new arrival, only to see it vanish in a flash into a gem the man is holding.

What is this smallish thing you bring, friend? I've not seen its like before. I don't suppose I could trouble you for a closer look?

TheFallenSon
2012-02-16, 12:22 AM
It is siğr, it is the way of things, blood price must be paid. My peoplbeware tasked at our forming, by The gods of old to cut the darkness from our world. To keep our world safe from the evil in men and beast alike." Aelwulf and Thviti with both grimace...then squint at te new creature floating here in front of them. What sorcery was that....that...thing? Metal? Alive? How? Maybe he was part dwarf...those creatures were known to create wonders.His hand began caressing Thviti again. Confusion...quickly masked by a bit of frustration...as the two seemed to cone to the sane cOnclusion about the boy...Sorcerer...Aelwulf slaps the boys hand and wand away. Keep you magic away from the beast. I have seen one of those only once, it was this evil that used it to push his beasts into blood frenzy" He pulled a wand of his own from his waist band, using it to gesture and emphasize his tiny rant.

Menarker
2012-02-16, 12:36 AM
Edon feels a slight twinge of excitement in spite of himself as he spies another of the mystical creatures, this one substantially cuter than the befouled rock beast. As soon as the scan is complete on Thviti he hustles over to the rickety cart to engage the new arrival, only to see it vanish in a flash into a gem the man is holding.

What is this smallish thing you bring, friend? I've not seen its like before. I don't suppose I could trouble you for a closer look?

Davis smiled at the stranger, although made no effort to reach for his gem, as his hands were full with holding the cart handles.

"I confess that I am a little busy. I have business with that merchant just down there, and that large mount carrying that head there might cause a scene if mine sees him. If you are still around when I'm done though, I suppose I can spare a few moment to show you."

Davis smiled as he continued inside town, but paused in his steps as he saw the huge "war-beast" possessing a severed head. The monster was impressive looking. Very much a suitable mount for a warrior. Soon after, the lad who had recently chatted with him then summoned an entity of metal that hanged in the air without string or rope! Interesting indeed!

... His own creature had a pleasant and charming appearance, but not much else.

Davis however took his cart closer and pulled out his own wand as he pointed it with the least directness of movement toward the two creatures, his distance some feet away to assure them of his neutral and harmless intentions.

He smiled pleasantly as he admired the two creatures, but he approached the young man near the smithy, while respecting his partner's personal space.

"Good day. I'm sorry to interrupt you, but could you do me this small favor of moving your fine mount to one side? I cannot pass through to do business, with him in my path."

hustlertwo
2012-02-16, 12:41 AM
The youth draws back from Aelwulf, pride hurt more than his hand.

My apologies. I did not know the device capable of such a feat; I thought it only stored information on these creatures.

He tucks the wand away as he heads to the approaching cart.

--------------------------------------

Edon yields the path for the cart.

I can wait. I have nothing but time, it seems.

TheFallenSon
2012-02-16, 01:59 PM
Thviti's gaze feel on the boy and his cart. Snorting the Rhyhorn shuffled to the side making room for them. He turned his gaze back to Aelwulf then, his voice seemed agitated. "Rhhhhhhyyyyyhorn horn Rhy."

Aelwulf nodded to the man and seemed to aknowledge the speech of the creature beside him. "boy, do you know who runs this place? My creature and I seek his attention. If not him than the wiseman, or priest that communes here."

Menarker
2012-02-16, 02:33 PM
Davis shook his head, but held his hand up so as to keep Aelwulf's attention.

"I confess I do not know where he would be at this time. Fear not, I am certain that I quickly ask someone that I know here. You can accompany me if you'd rather."

Adding a little extra haste, he trudged with the cart past where the Rhyhorn stood scant seconds ago, and within moments, he parked the wagon and its goods in front of the merchant whom his family had been accustomed to trading with.

"Brom!" Davis greeted jovially, "How have you been faring today? My apologies for the slight delay."

After a few scant seconds of the traditional small-talk, Davis quickly interjected, "Brom, before we get down to the usual practices, I have a question. There is a warrior here with a large stone war-beast with what appears to be proof of a slain bounty." Davis made a slicing motion across his neck with his hand, chuckling with an odd combination of nervousness and mirth. "To where and whom in this village may he speak to?"

Dunno if I need to make a sort of Gather Information check, but just throwing that here, just in case.

planswalker
2012-02-16, 05:59 PM
"Took you long enough. If you hadn't come before I had to close up for the day, I don't know what my kids would have eaten tonight." There is a familiarity in his tone even as he scolds you.

"A bounty? He'll wanna speak to Graham, our resident knight-protector. He's out right now. Chasing bandits, I do believe. Should be in tomorrow morning."

Menarker
2012-02-16, 06:19 PM
Davis nodded as he quickly unloaded his cart and made the usual transaction, not wasting his time a moment longer. Once everything was all done, and Davis bid Brom farewell (and wishing his family the best), Davis took the cart and went back to Aelwulf with a mild look of triumph, as he parroted the response he had gotten.

"Sir, I have inquired on your behalf about the query you had asked me. The individual you seek is Graham, the local knight-protector here. However, he is not present at the moment as he is presumably on duty chasing bandits. However, I was told he would be back by tomorrow morning, so it might be worth your while to stay here for the night. If you want, I can show you the way to the inn here. Every couple of days, I keep having to make trips to here and back, each half of the journey robbing me of all daylight."

Davis then dragged his cart along without waiting for much of an answer, presumably leading the way.

TheFallenSon
2012-02-16, 06:24 PM
Aelwulf and Thviti had followed Davis as he entered the village, their acceptance of his help had been a nod and a grunt. There tempers were beginning to build slowly...and well that was it. They had grunted again when the man mentioned a knight protector...these Germans were...interesting. "I understand this...knight is your headman? Thviti and I will await him. Thank you for your help boy,"Aelwulf extended his hand in thanks. He would then offer to buy the boy a meal...then realized he needed to find a place to do that. "where can we eat in this place?"

Menarker
2012-02-16, 07:22 PM
"Oh, I suppose the inn will have something to eat there."

Davis pulled along beside a small structure and parked the cart right beside it. He then reached into the cart, where he had a mass of hay bundled up and released the bindings on them, covering up the traded goods, so the cart would look like it possessed nothing other than that. He then looked toward his accompanied companions with a slightly guilty smirk."

"A necessary deception when I leave it alone for any period of time."

He then pulled out his gem and holding it over his shoulder, activated Mudkip's release from the pokeball, the pokemon squatting on his shoulder.

"Nero, how about a bite?"

"KIP KIIIIPPPP -UD!!" It laid a paw on Davis' head, with a hop of joy.

Davis chuckled mirthfully as he poked Mudkip's belly. "That's what I like to hear."

Davis and Nero then entered as the lad went to the manager.

"Good evening. Would you happen to have a room to spare? Also, a dinner for me and my friend here to share. Mostly veggies and fruit if you can. My friend can't eat meat."

"Mud?" The pokemon looked at him curiously.
"Times are tough. I gotta save every copper."

hustlertwo
2012-02-16, 08:42 PM
Edon listened to the rumble in his stomach, one not shared by his floating companion.

I too could use a meal.

hustlertwo
2012-02-16, 09:06 PM
The youth also surreptitiously draws his wand and waves it at the curious creature perched atop Davis's shoulder.

TheFallenSon
2012-02-16, 09:35 PM
Aelwulf and Thviti would look for a place to rest and...eat. The two would stride to a darker corner. If no table and chair presented itself one would be dragged to a corner which...could be easily defended. These were dark times and recent events had left the two with a bitter taste of life in their mouths. Aelwulf would gesture for the keep and for food...beer, bread, meat...and what ever ruffage could be purchased. He would also gesture to Davis. "Sit and break fast with Thviti and I. How is the beer in This place?"

hustlertwo
2012-02-16, 09:49 PM
I would join you too, Ser Aelwulf. I want to hear how you claimed that...trophy you are trying to be paid for.

Edon calls back his magnetic monster into the quartz gem it calls home as he sits with the older men.

hustlertwo
2012-02-16, 09:50 PM
I would join you too, Ser Aelwulf. I want to hear how you claimed that...trophy you are trying to be paid for.

Edon calls back his magnetic monster into the quartz gem it calls home as he sits with the older men.

Menarker
2012-02-16, 09:50 PM
"Ah, thank you. We accept. My name is Davis. And this is my Mudkip, Nero."

"Mud-KIIIIPP!"

Mudkip hopped onto the table, scampering around on Davis' side as he eyed the Rhyhorn with curiousity.

"Honestly, I haven't really had the inclination for beer, so I couldn't honestly tell you the quality of this place's beer. I tried the beer in my village. The hangover after made my legs like jelly. Made pushing the cart a bloody nightmare. So I stopped."

The lad then rubbed his face, especially thumbing the nicks from a bad shaving job, as he visually appraised the severed limb and the Rhyhorn that carried it.

"So, do you hunt bounties for a living or did you hunt that one specifically? Looks like a very difficult profession."

TheFallenSon
2012-02-16, 10:25 PM
"A shame. The bread of the heavens, beer is a glorious thing. As for the hunting of evil...it is called siğr it is our way. Darkness should not be tolerated in this world, corruption of the beasts and corruption of the soul lead to death. It is our way to limit this, to hold back the tide so that tomorrow may come. In this we has learned that men will pay to see darkness undone...this allows my people to... exist and to thrive. It is part of all our pasts, the gods themselves have fought to clean the earth of darkness many times...we cannot be expected to do less." he would take a long deep...very deep drink of his beer. His face lighting for a second, enjoyment for the first time...in a long time. He would motion for Thviti and pour half the rest of the mug down the Rhyhorns throat. "Drink deeply my friend."

Menarker
2012-02-16, 10:45 PM
Davis nodded as he ate the little bit of meat and bread that was on his plate, Mudkip reaching over the plate and taking his choice of berries. Davis looked at the two and regarded them with a mild sense of admiration.

"Ah. That sounds like a very profound duty... Aelwulf is it? I wish you your every success. I don't really have much of an option, to be honest. I work at my parent's inn in the village down the road I arrived here from. But I have imagined training other creatures, making them good friends and allies for soldiers of the realm, as worthy as any sword or armor..."

Mudkip started to clambor on his plate as Davis picked him up and put him back down on the table.

"Nero, that's bad table manners. If you can't reach something, ask me for help first, ok?"

"... kiipp kip."

Davis then petted the pokemon as he took a bite of his leaf of lettuce and drank some water.

hustlertwo
2012-02-16, 10:50 PM
Hmmmm...it's a brutal bit of work, but it does seem you're using this creature for a noble cause, after a fashion. Not sure if Hokum would be fit for such work...never even seen him fight.

TheFallenSon
2012-02-16, 10:55 PM
He turned to the boy, a frown formed on his lips. He growled a bit and looked down to Thviti...as the words were spoken he would turn his gaze to the other two humans, his eyes drifting over their mon and seeming to... judge them with a ferver, a passion that consumed him."All men have a choice, you can chose to be an inn keeper and die happy surrounded by your children and grandchildren but there would still be darkness around the candle that was your family....a candle that burns long but with little effect. Or...you could die in battle, glorious battle surrounded by like minded men and beasts...the cries of Valkyries ushering you into Valhalla. A raging inferno, lighting the paths of many...pushing the darkness to the ends of this world...the light in the dark for many...simple choice... He looked down again at Thviti...a low and steady growl...then barks of agreement would leave the war beasts mouth...particularly when Valhalla and light were mentioned.

hustlertwo
2012-02-16, 11:05 PM
Edon ignores the religious rant, having heard a few in his time. I think there's likely a middle ground. One that provides a more adventurous life than innkeeping without the wanton slaughter you describe.

Menarker
2012-02-16, 11:08 PM
Davis glanced at the younger boy with a bit of surprise for the tactless comment, which seemed directed toward a dangerous warrior. He opted to intervene with a question and hopefully bring it into discussion.

"Oh? Perhaps you can tell us what brought you here of all places?"

TheFallenSon
2012-02-16, 11:26 PM
He growled at the younger man....a deep rumble left the Rhyhorn...but more beer was ordered...and it was someone else's time to speak now. Yes...beer...mead...bread of the gods.

hustlertwo
2012-02-16, 11:31 PM
My father leads a small church some ways out of town. He's always told me magic, these creatures...it was all evil. I'm starting to have my doubts. Hokum certainly doesn't seem an abomination, strange though he may appear.

Rethinking matters, he calls back out the orb.

It's odd. I've spent a few days with him now and I swear that it has different expressions. Yet I've never seen the face change.

Menarker
2012-02-16, 11:59 PM
"Oh, I'm pretty sure they aren't all evil, not even specific species." Davis cupped Mudkip in between his two hands, holding him right in front of his own face playfully with a wry smirk on his face, the Mudkip reacting with surprise, but a pleasant one.
"Kip kip! Muddddddd....."

"Mischievous rascals, certainly. But I'd imagine that things like virtues and vices don't really take sides. You'll find lots of bastards among our kind and I don't think you'll believe we're all evil. I don't see why there can't be good pokemon too."

Davis put Mudkip back down as it decided to hop down the table and get up close to the Rhyhorn as it tilted its head to the side curiously.

"Kip kip?"

Davis then looked at the cute pokemon with a slightly sterner tone and expression.
"Best not touch him without permission, Nero."

hustlertwo
2012-02-17, 12:03 AM
I look forward to finding out. I think we need to find something to do together, Hokum and I. And we will see if this arcane creation can prove as helpful and noble as the rock beast seems. Or as loyal as your Nero.

planswalker
2012-02-17, 06:59 AM
"Good evening. Would you happen to have a room to spare? Also, a dinner for me and my friend here to share. Mostly veggies and fruit if you can. My friend can't eat meat."

"Mud?" The pokemon looked at him curiously.
"Times are tough. I gotta save every copper."

Edon listened to the rumble in his stomach, one not shared by his floating companion.

I too could use a meal.

"Hi there, Davis. Yeah, I've got two rooms left. Some lads from out of town just walked in and rented my other three spare rooms. Looks like a full house tonight." He seems pleased by this. The rooms are 5 silver a night each, the food is 3 copper. The beer is a copper apiece, and not bad for a small town's brew. It has a dark undertone which is quite heady.

hustlertwo
2012-02-17, 11:19 AM
The lad counts out 5 silver coins and 3 copper mites.

No alcohol for me, thanks. Say, do you know of anything in this town that needs doing? I'm rather handy with farming equipment. And I suppose Hokum here could be used for things as well. Though I'm not sure what.

planswalker
2012-02-17, 02:19 PM
"Well, I could use a pair of hands to help me out. And if your pokemon can fight, I've got a problem with some feral sentret that are trying to take over my garden."

Menarker
2012-02-17, 04:11 PM
"Well, I could use a pair of hands to help me out. And if your pokemon can fight, I've got a problem with some feral sentret that are trying to take over my garden."

Scarcely after the words "fight" and "feral sentrets" were spoken, there was an excitable blue menace as Nero jumped back on top of the chair that Edon left behind, standing on its hind legs and flapping his arms up and down toward Davis.

"Kip KIPP, Mu KIPP!"

"Haha, ok, ok. Relax a little, you're going to get tired before you even see them!"

Mudkip then bounded on the floor as Davis walked toward the manager, retrieving some coins from his pocket and putting them on the counter for the barkeep. Just enough to pay for the dinner to assure the proprietor that he wasn't going to leave the building without having pay for the food, although he hadn't yet decided to get a room yet. Davis then flashed a smile as he gave a gentlest sounding command.

"Thank you for the dinner. Let me help you with your garden too."
He chuckled as he added, "This guy seems to want the exercise."

Truthfully, as excitable as Mudkip was, he'd probably was going to want to fight even if the innkeeper said no.

hustlertwo
2012-02-17, 04:27 PM
Sentrets...those weasel things my father would set traps for in the fields to protect the cabbage. Yes, I suppose they would be something Hokum and I could deal with. Would...you like to try, Hokum?

Edon felt rather ridiculous talking to the expressionless metal ball, but it surprised him by floating toward the door.

I'll take that as a yes, then.

planswalker
2012-02-17, 05:13 PM
The three of you walk out to the garden, and begin the stakeout. Around dusk, y'all hear a rustling coming from the edge of the garden.

TheFallenSon
2012-02-17, 05:50 PM
Aelwulf and Thviti walked out with the other two, headed towards the garden that was infested with...weasels...sentret..whatever. The beast his companions mon would make quick work of them...of this he was sure...and maybe he could get a cask of beer for free? He hunkered down...and looked to Thviti...hiding would be...interesting.

Menarker
2012-02-17, 05:53 PM
Mudkip scampers in between some of the growing veggies, his paws scraping at the ground ready for a tackle, as Davis peers for any sight of the mentioned sentrets.

planswalker
2012-02-17, 05:59 PM
Four of the round furry little vermin pop up their heads through the leaves of the garden and hiss at y'all.

TheFallenSon
2012-02-17, 06:03 PM
Aelwulf growls back and prepares to charge in and smash face with fist, Thviti does the same. "We will have a nice dinner of sentret and onions friend Davis."

Menarker
2012-02-17, 06:08 PM
"Ooh, a little outnumbered." Davis said before he remembered Aelwulf's capabilities. "Sounds delicious, Aelwulf. Mudkip, you go tackle the sentret they attack, ok!?"

"Kip!"

hustlertwo
2012-02-18, 12:32 AM
Hokum hums loudly at the appearance of the beasts.

All right, here's hoping you know what to do, Hokum! Let's get those rodents!

Menarker
2012-02-18, 01:25 AM
"Oh, and before I forget..."

Davis pulled out his wand and pointed it toward the Sentret, gathering what information could be gleaned about this species.

hustlertwo
2012-02-18, 01:53 AM
Right. Guess I should just try to follow the lead of you guys until I get the hang of this.

Edon draws his wand as well to scan the rodents.

planswalker
2012-02-18, 01:59 AM
map (http://www.stonesword.com/im/dungeon/cache/20120217-235635.png)

see the piratepad (http://piratepad.net/c832HO3rXz) entry for the key.

The sentret try their best to look as threatening as foot-long round, fuzzy things can.

However, they don't seem to be particularly fast. Everyone's pokemon act before them.

when you post your pokemon's actions, include the speed they act on. I'll resolve them in speed order. Feel free to post in any order, though.

hustlertwo
2012-02-18, 02:08 AM
Hokum! Knock 'em down!

The Magnemite charges into the Sentret directly ahead of him.

[roll0]

[roll1]

Hokum HP: 20/20
Edon HP: 56/56

Menarker
2012-02-18, 02:47 AM
"MUUUUUDDDDDD!" Nero bellowed a cute cry of battle as it crouched low to the ground and charged in a vigorous tackle.

Attacking the closest Sentret.

Attack Power: [roll0]

Accuracy: [roll1] (Need

Davis: 40/40
Nero: 26/26

planswalker
2012-02-18, 02:52 AM
Nero deals 10 damage to his target, nearly taking it out.

After Thvuti goes, Hokum will strike his target for 3, injuring it.

hustlertwo
2012-02-18, 03:02 AM
Edon pulls out one of the empty quartz crystals.

Here goes nothing. Hah!

He tosses it at the wounded Sentret that had been plowed into by Nero.

[roll0]

TheFallenSon
2012-02-18, 12:41 PM
(apologies mates, had a bit of a difficulty with the interwebz yesterday)

Aelwulf pulls out his wand, and charges towards the little rat things waving his crystal wand all about and scanning? the gathered mon. Thviti follows him into the brink, he tries to horn attack the nearest un attacked Sentret. The two Sentret closest to them are the targets. "Crush them Thviti, crush them!!!"

Horn Attack
[roll0]

Fist Smashing
[roll1]

TheFallenSon
2012-02-18, 12:52 PM
Roars of satisfaction ring out as the warriors connect with their targets.

DMG Horn Attack
[roll0]

DMG Fist Smash
[roll1]

planswalker
2012-02-18, 04:21 PM
Aewulf's fist smash crits for an additional [roll0] damage.

Thvuti downs his target in a single blow, nearly killing it.

Hokum's tackle goes off, hurting for 3.

The three remaining sentret go, scratching at Hokum, Thvuti, and Nero for [roll1], [roll2], and [roll3] respectively.

Edon throws a quartz crystal, and the sentret that Nero had injured was captured successfully.

if the other two trainers would like to catch one, now is the time to do it. Remember that every pokemon caught is 1/10th of a level up for your trainer. You may choose to release it rather than have to keep up with it if you never plan to use it.

either way, new round for pokemon actions.

hustlertwo
2012-02-18, 04:27 PM
Hokum takes 4 damage from the scratch. Edon looks on with concern, but the magnetic monster appears willing to press the attack.

Hold off, Hokum. Let's see if anyone else wants to catch these critters.

The Magnemite floats in place, waiting for further orders.

[roll0]

[roll1]

What's the level and gender of the captured Sentret? I guess I pick ability and nature, let me know if not.

Answered.

Menarker
2012-02-18, 05:20 PM
Davis bit his lip a little when the rodents scratched at Mudkip, "Nero, you ok? Hang in there!"

Davis then saw Edon capture the sentret that his pokemon had damaged.

"Good going there! Nero, hit the next one closest to you!"

"KIII- UUUD!"

Nero charged headward once again.

Davis then decided to follow Edon's lead and capture the one Nero would attack.

Tackle attack on closest Sentret.

Attack Power: [roll0]
Accuracy: [roll1]

Capture Attempt: [roll2]

TheFallenSon
2012-02-18, 07:40 PM
Aelwulf digs on of the crystals from his pocket, tossing it at the downed little monster. "It seems dinner did not go as I had hoped...you will help me find more later little one". Thviti runs back and forth out of reach of the others, roaring in anticipation....he loves combat...yes he does.

Capture attempt:
[roll0]
additional dmg:
[roll1]

planswalker
2012-02-18, 10:06 PM
Aewulf captures the last standing sentret.

hustlertwo
2012-02-19, 12:13 AM
Edon's typical lack of enthusiasm fades as he pumps a fist into the air.

We did it, Hokum! And we even snagged another creature to provide you some backup.

The orb, having done its duty, merely floats languidly in place, looking tired.

Whoohoo! What's the numbers, boss man?

Menarker
2012-02-19, 05:05 AM
Davis ran over to Mudkip, checking his injuries, before giving a broad smile.

"Nero, that was well done."

The lad then looked from one side of the garden to the other, in case there was anymore threats to the garden. He also clenched the new captured Sentret, wondering what was the next step.

*Spot Check: If nothing important is spotted...*

"Well... Should go back inside?"

planswalker
2012-02-19, 09:51 AM
120 xp each.

The garden is quiet for another three hours when y'all hear more rustling, this time from the far eastern edge of the garden.

hustlertwo
2012-02-19, 10:01 AM
Rats, looks like it'll still be the ticklefest.

You guys ready for more? Davis, if Mudkip's too roughed up, you might want to try that one you caught earlier against whatever this is. Assuming he's willing to fight his own.

Menarker
2012-02-19, 03:54 PM
*Just after the battle but before the second one in the 3 hour time span.*

"Come on Mudkip. Let's get you back inside. Get you something to eat."

"Kip Kip!"

As Davis sat near the counter-top, he looked to the inn-keeper, with a pleasant reassurance that they had done their job.

"Can I get a few pieces of fruit over here, sir? And a warm wet cloth?"

*Presuming that he gets those items*

Davis set aside some of the food for Mudkip within easy reach as he applied the wet cloth to his scratches. "This might sting a little... ah, and one more guest..."

"Sir, I'm just going to summon one of those rodents that we fought and caught. No need to get alarmed, ok?"

He then activated the Sentret gem and brought its form to the table. Davis glanced at the pokemon for a little bit, the pokemon supporting itself on its tail, as he then offered some of the berries to the rodent, although the wounded Mudkip got the lion's share between the three of them.

"I guess you'll be staying with us for a while. I'm Davis, and this is Nero."

"...Tret?"
The mudkip greedily gobbled at his reward, occasionally grunting from the sting of Davis cleaning his cuts. The raccoonish like creature probably alternated between staring at the two and eating at his own share of food.
Soon after, Nero finished his food, and tried to take one of Sentret's snacks before Davis pulled him away.

"No noo Mudkip. He needs his own share too."
The water pokemon then opted to closely study its new playmate, hopping around him and staring unusually hard, before speaking in what what possibly an introduction.
"Kip kip! Mud kip kip ud."
"... Sen Sen?"

*After the three hour time span*

Davis swerved his head to the side when he heard rustling in the background, running back toward the garden, where he saw Edon already there. Mudkip was already on his shoulder as he went out again.

"You guys ready for more? Davis, if Mudkip's too roughed up, you might want to try that one you caught earlier against whatever this is. Assuming he's willing to fight his own."

"KIP KIPPPPP!" The blue pokemon jumped off Davis' shoulder and took a stance, eager to fight, but not standing quite as deep into the garden as he did before.

planswalker
2012-02-19, 03:58 PM
The inkeeper is cool with that. As long as they're not uprooting his garden, he doesn't mind them. He also gives you the food free of charge.

and mudkip is healed 8

hustlertwo
2012-02-19, 09:16 PM
Back to the rustling, then?

planswalker
2012-02-20, 08:53 AM
yes, if any of y'all want to go investigate that rustling.

hustlertwo
2012-02-20, 09:53 AM
Edon and Hokum go to investigate the rustling.

planswalker
2012-02-20, 09:56 AM
Three more sentret pop up and begin hissing at you.

hustlertwo
2012-02-20, 11:16 AM
"Hokum, once again."

[roll]1d20[\roll]
[roll]2d6+4[\roll]

planswalker
2012-02-20, 11:19 AM
"Hokum, once again."

[roll0]
[roll1]

Use the other slash. Fixed for you.

hustlertwo
2012-02-20, 11:19 AM
[roll0] [roll1]

ten chatacter

Menarker
2012-02-20, 01:58 PM
"Nero, go for it!"

The mudkip charged headward toward another of the sentrets.

[roll0]
[roll1]

planswalker
2012-02-20, 02:19 PM
Nero goes first, and tackles for a solid hit against the nearest sentret. It takes 10 damage.

planswalker
2012-02-21, 06:01 AM
Thvuti charges another, goring it with its horn attack for [roll0] It is taken out in a single blow.

Hokum tackles the already injured one, finishing it off.

The last sentret will try to run off.

if y'all can move faster than 5, you can chase it down. If not, it will get away. The inkeeper would rather you offed it than let it run off.

Menarker
2012-02-21, 07:12 AM
As the last sentret turned tail, Nero charged right in with plenty of energy for a chase, although Davis chased along after the mudkip so he wouldn't lose sight of him.

--------------
Overland speed is 5.

Tackle attempt?
[roll0]
[roll1]

planswalker
2012-02-21, 07:19 AM
You deliver it a solid blow, almost taking it out.

hustlertwo
2012-02-21, 09:29 AM
Ummm....sky speed is 6. Does that count?

In case it does:

[roll0]

[roll1]

planswalker
2012-02-21, 09:43 AM
that does

Hokum knocks out the last sentret.

150 xp for all.

hustlertwo
2012-02-21, 10:01 AM
Good work, Hokum. My...friend.

He calls the floating orb back into its crystal, noting that it seems a little more impressive than it did a moment before.

Does anyone see any other critters running about?

planswalker
2012-02-21, 10:44 AM
The rest of the night passes uneventfully.

hustlertwo
2012-02-21, 08:11 PM
A weary Edon goes with the others to approach the innkeeper.

It appears we have solved your infestation problem, at least for now. Four of the creatures have fallen, and three more have been put under our sway by these curious quartz devices. Aside from the compensation, do you know of any healers in this area? Our own creatures suffered some injuries during the night.

planswalker
2012-02-21, 11:27 PM
"This town does not have a dedicated healer, but Ms Lovett the pie shop owner has some potions she trades for from passing caravans."

hustlertwo
2012-02-21, 11:36 PM
We will visit her later in the day then, I suppose. What sort of compensation do you regard as fair for the pest removal we have performed over the entire evening previous? I suppose we should have worked it out beforehand, but I have no recollection of us doing so.

planswalker
2012-02-22, 12:03 AM
"How about 3 gold apiece?"

hustlertwo
2012-02-22, 12:09 AM
Works for me. I will let my cohorts negotiate their own fees.

Edon accepts the gold gratefully.

Do you have any of the foodstuffs you offered Davis earlier in the evening? They seemed to restore some of the vitality to his watery companion, and I wish to try something like that on my own creatures.

And while I do not wish to keep you from your duties, one final question: I may wish to ensorcel another of those rodents that plagued you to trade with other monster trainers of the area, or sell off for an added bit of coin. Do you know if there are any somewhat more docile Sentret in the area, or would I have to try and revive one of the creatures we brought low?

planswalker
2012-02-22, 12:39 AM
"I can get you some, sure. Same price as I sold it to him. And I don't know of any sentret besides the wild ones that go rooting through my garden."

hustlertwo
2012-02-22, 09:01 AM
I think I'll take a couple servings, then.

So Edon gets it for free, then? I thought that would just have been for Davis because we were in the middle of the hunt.

planswalker
2012-02-22, 09:22 AM
could have sworn the meals were 2 silver. It costs you 2 silver.

He walks off to the kitchen to prepare you some food.

hustlertwo
2012-02-22, 09:33 AM
Edon pays the man and brings out his newly acquired Sentret.

Here, eat up, little one. I won't hurt you.

After doing that, he goes back out to the garden to see if any of the Sentret are still alive. If so, he will see what he can do to restore them to consciousness.

planswalker
2012-02-22, 09:37 AM
In fact, most of them are. Only two of them are dead.

hustlertwo
2012-02-22, 09:45 AM
Edon picks up one of the survivors (preferably one he himself did not attack) and attempts to give it some of the nourishing foodstuffs by hand. He also calls out the other Sentret he has captured.

Come on, little one. I am sorry we came in so harshly. At first I thought you to be a proof of my father's beliefs, but I suppose you are no different than any wild animal in desperate need of food.

planswalker
2012-02-22, 09:46 AM
you manage to revive it, but it's barely holding on to consciousness.

hustlertwo
2012-02-22, 09:54 AM
Little one, I would like to give you a better life. One with an owner who will keep you fed, keep you warm, keep you cared for. I hope you accept this, even though odds are you don't know what I am saying.

Edon attempts a capture as gently as possible.

[roll0]

planswalker
2012-02-22, 09:56 AM
Due to the circumstances of your capture, it is successful.

hustlertwo
2012-02-22, 10:11 AM
Edon pockets the crystal and recalls his now healed original Sentret.

It seemed a poor toss. Perhaps the creature listened to me after all.

He goes to the piemaker, hoping to procure a potion or two.

Hello? I have a creature in need of aid, and was looking to see about these tinctures you brew that have curative effects on these beasts.

planswalker
2012-02-22, 10:13 AM
A woman in her mid 20's comes out and says, "Well, lad, you're up early. I can help you out, sure thing. Potions are 3 gold apiece."

hustlertwo
2012-02-22, 10:31 AM
The youth shrugs.

Never slept. Paid for a room at the inn, intend to use it shortly. 3 gold...a trifle high. How about the pies? How much for one of those?

planswalker
2012-02-22, 10:34 AM
"A silver apiece. I'll have a fresh batch ready in just a few minutes."

hustlertwo
2012-02-22, 10:39 AM
I'll take three. And I'll wait. Hopefully you won't be offended if I nod off for a minute.

If there's anywhere to sit, Edon does just that until the pies are ready.

planswalker
2012-02-22, 10:41 AM
Ten minutes later, three fresh, hot pies are waiting for you to pay for them.

hustlertwo
2012-02-22, 10:44 AM
Three more silver disappear.

The new enfeebled Sentret is called out and offered one of the pies.

Here you are, Kite. Have a bit, it should pep you up.

planswalker
2012-02-22, 10:47 AM
It sniffs the meat pie, and does not seem interested.

hustlertwo
2012-02-22, 10:54 AM
Edon pats the rodent, feeling a surprising sense of kinship for something he had so recently been battering at.

Don't worry. We'll get more of the innkeeper's vegetation; you'll find he does not begrudge you such treats when he is paid for them. Perhaps I will bring the pies for the others.

He keeps the tamed Sentret out as he goes to the innkeeper and buys however many greens are needed to bring it to full health. Afterwards, he crawls up to his room and crashes for several hours of much-needed rest.

planswalker
2012-02-22, 11:03 AM
After eating 1 silver's worth of greens, it is full. It has healed 6 hp from the food.

hustlertwo
2012-02-22, 11:12 AM
The pair of creatures under Edon's sway are called out to enjoy the sleep as well.

Once fully rested, Edon goes out to enjoy whatever is left of the day.

Innkeeper, sir, could you tell me what other types of creatures frequent this region? Or at least point me in the way of one who would know?

planswalker
2012-02-22, 11:12 AM
"Our knight-protector deals with more pokemon than the rest of us."

hustlertwo
2012-02-22, 11:17 AM
I shall seek him out, then.

Edon goes to look for the knight-protector, should he be in.

planswalker
2012-02-22, 12:18 PM
Apparently he left early this morning to hunt bandits.

hustlertwo
2012-02-22, 12:26 PM
Edon posts a note on the protector's door, saying who he was, what he sought, and where he could be found. He then looks about for any other creature trainers he could ask in the interim.

planswalker
2012-02-22, 12:27 PM
Best you will gets is a mr Todd, the local barber, tinker, and woodcarver.

hustlertwo
2012-02-22, 12:36 PM
He approaches this Mr. Todd.

Hello, sir. I have recently been pushed into this creature training game, and was wondering if you knew what sorts of beasts live in this area, and where they might be found?

planswalker
2012-02-22, 12:43 PM
"Animals, bugs, and plants, mostly."

hustlertwo
2012-02-22, 12:48 PM
Any birds? And I would like to hear more of these insects and plants, if you have the time. Some of them may prove of value.

planswalker
2012-02-22, 12:50 PM
"I said there were animals, yes. And I can tell you about the insects and plants. While we talk, how about a shave?"

hustlertwo
2012-02-22, 12:55 PM
The fourteen-year old runs a hand along his still-hairless face.

No, thank you. I lack the most necessary feature for such a service. I will go now to see about procuring more of these capture devices. Thank you, Sir Todd.

He goes to whoever sells the quartz.

Heh, nice try; I haven't seen it but I did see Jersey Girl. I know enough to know to avoid the chair.

planswalker
2012-02-22, 01:02 PM
"As it happens, I have some quartz for sale, one gold apiece."

hustlertwo
2012-02-22, 01:23 PM
One? A bargain. I will take six of them.

planswalker
2012-02-22, 04:24 PM
"Very well."

A few minutes later, he retrieves the potions and holds his hand out for the gold.

hustlertwo
2012-02-22, 04:32 PM
Edon pays gladly.

How long will this sale last? I know of others who may wish to take advantage of such a deal.

planswalker
2012-02-22, 05:52 PM
"I have ten more such quartz crystals for sale. The traveler I acquired them from did not have any more to spare."

hustlertwo
2012-02-22, 05:55 PM
Thank you again.

Edon returns to visit his comrades, to tell them of his discoveries while visiting the town.

Menarker
2012-02-22, 06:26 PM
Davis and Mudkip strolled back into the inn after the second sentret hunt was over. The innkeeper offered a free room to stay as well as 7 gold for their effort, which Davis accepted gladly, while asking the innkeeper to ensure that his cart wasn't taken overnight.

The next day, Davis woke up and ordered breakfast for himself, Nero and the new sentret to share before they would head back to the cart toward their village. They had neither seen Aelwulf or Edon during this meal.

Pay 3 copper for the meal. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12737065&postcount=36)

Then Edon came inside and started sharing about his morning, including the sales on quartz crystals and the pokemon surrounding the town.

"You sound like you got a good deal, Edon. Perhaps you can show me where you got them?"

Davis pulled his cart after having checked to make sure his goods were still there. Mudkip hopped around, and started spraying water on the ground and flinging mud.

"Oh, neat Nero! But you shouldn't do that carelessly, ok?"
"Kip Kip!"
The mudkip continued playing around a little as they went to Mr.Todd's shop to purchase some of the crystals.

3 Gold for 3 Crystals, right?

Once that was over, Davis looked toward Edon and offered a handshake with one hand while holding one of the cart's handles with the other.

"Well, it was an honor to meet you, but I must be off to my village again. I need to take these things back. Of course, you're welcome to come along if you wish. But if you rather stay, I guess this will be where we would part ways."

hustlertwo
2012-02-23, 02:20 AM
Edon hands Davis one of the meat pies acquired from Mr. Todd, while partaking in another himself and leaving the last to await their barbarian comrade. he also buys another serving of vegetables for Kite to eat, assuming the morning finds him hungry (and presumably restoring another 6 HP for him).

I suppose I can accompany you. I was hoping either for our barbarian comrade to join us or to find a trainer that might wish for this other small beast I acquired, but in the absence of either of those a short trip might be a lark.

Plans, if Arcran's team shows up before we leave just interrupt and Edon will stay behind. Otherwise he will accompany Davis.

planswalker
2012-02-23, 07:25 AM
The two of you notice a trio of guys walk into town while y'all are discussing this. They all seem rather injured and weak, as if they had just fought a desperate battle for their lives.

hustlertwo
2012-02-23, 08:13 AM
Saw your thing in the chat, moving this to their thread. Menarker and Fallen, feel free to come along.

Edit: Teamup finished

Edon battles a rocky Pokemon with Hokum, overcoming it with his newfound electrical powers. He then goes off to Mr. Todd's and returns, a new crystal in hand.

I have a new creature! I think it will help us on the journey, Davis.

He waits beside the cart for departure.

Menarker
2012-02-23, 10:52 PM
Doing this post retroactively since I wasn't well informed about the cross-overs at all.

Davis nodded to Edon's request to delay a slight, although when Edon's back was turned he gave an exasperated sigh before following him. The trip was not exactly a short one and he had to lug the cart the whole way.

As Edon led the conversation, Davis curiously pointed his wand at the metapod, zorua and the charmander that started to get close to Nero. The mudkip responded to the inquisitive charmander with a bump of a paw and running around the cart's wheels yipping, possibly instigating a game. Soon after, he also scanned the roggenrola during Edon's battle. Davis watched with mild interest, letting his sentret out for a breath of fresh air on the cart while waiting.

"While we're waiting, I guess I need to come up with a name for you..."
Davis thought for a little bit while Nero played with Errol and the battle continued. "Guess I'll call you Merrick."

After the battle and trade, Davis looked toward Edon who stood by ready and Nero having said his goodbye. Then with both Merrick and Nero on the cart (the latter watching the former so it wouldn't run off while Davis' back was turned toward the cart), they started off.

hustlertwo
2012-02-24, 12:07 AM
Wouldn't you have to be online first for it to matter?

Edon walks alongside his friend, with Hokum and Kite out alongside in case of an attack.

Would you like some help shouldering the load? Not too different from the plows I've been dragging during a lot of my youth.

Menarker
2012-02-24, 05:10 AM
Davis smirked gleefully as he vacated the front, offering it to Edon.

"Absolutely! You may certainly help me out." His smile had a little too many teeth showing. Getting a break from tugging the cart was a godsend.

"This path is pretty much straight on. I'll take over when you're feeling tired."

hustlertwo
2012-02-24, 10:50 AM
The wiry youth moves along, happy to be doing something himself for the first time in a few days.

So, how did you come across Nero in the first place? Hokum was gifted to me by a...long-lost relative. Of sorts.

Does simply having a Pokemon out during a fight entitle it to a cut of the XP, or would it actually have to participate?

Menarker
2012-02-24, 02:34 PM
"Oh. It's pretty stupid actually. This bard couldn't pay for his meals at the inn with money so he gave me a quartz crystal. Found him sleeping by a creek during one of my trip back and forth. Just caught him like that. Same way I caught Merrick, now that I think of it. Catching these creatures without hurting them."

I doubt I'd get any experience from your earlier fight.

hustlertwo
2012-02-24, 03:36 PM
I know you wouldn't. My question was more geared toward whether Kite would get XP if we got attacked on this road (or wherever), even if Hokum did all the actual fighting.

Wow...I think you have a skill with these crystals that I probably lack. I only snagged Kite and the other rodent through their injuries.

He bends down and speaks to Kite.

But I have done my best to heal those wounds, I think. And hopefully you will come to trust me as Hokum seems to, little one.

planswalker
2012-02-25, 11:53 PM
The wiry youth moves along, happy to be doing something himself for the first time in a few days.

So, how did you come across Nero in the first place? Hokum was gifted to me by a...long-lost relative. Of sorts.

Does simply having a Pokemon out during a fight entitle it to a cut of the XP, or would it actually have to participate?

it will need to do SOMETHING in the fight to gain xp. One status affliction, taking 1 hit, or 1 tackle is sufficient to a full cut of the xp from the whole fight, but just passively observing is not.

As the two of you walk on, a pair of pokemon that look like this: http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/11/111846/1786007-180px_622golett.png appear, blocking the road. It's hard to read their impassive faces, but they are not moving aside to allow you to pass.

hustlertwo
2012-02-26, 01:39 AM
Since the pair seem unaggressive, Edon takes a moment to scan them, determining whatever information he can from his wand.

Hello? Can we help you two?

I imagine there isn't another way out past, is there?

He also calls out Eclipse, in case things get hairy.

Menarker
2012-02-26, 07:18 AM
Davis shook his head as he waved his wand around too in their general direction.

"Going off this road with the cart is difficult work since it gets rocky once you get off it, and a bit of a incline as well. I would have probably have left them alone, but if they are going to block the road, I'd rather put an end to their mischief while I can count on your support than possibly later on when I'm by myself. I assume we'll both take one each?"

Davis then beckoned Merrick to the front. "It's your first fight with us Merrick, so let's see what you can do..."

Davis consulted the wand's power and remarked curiously at what he learned...
"Foresight? That's... something I never heard of before. How about you give that a shot, Merrick? I wanna see what that does."

Using Foresight.
Does using the wand grant knowledge on enemy typings as well or just visual details and the name of the species as per the game?

hustlertwo
2012-02-26, 10:03 AM
Good point, I guess Foresight isn't a move that would draw their ire.

Edon calls back Hokum.

Can't risk you against such rocky fellows. Kite, use this Foresight as well!

planswalker
2012-02-26, 10:19 AM
yes, actual useful information such as typing and level up movepool is gained. TiNtVG, though, so level will often be hidden, besides clues from moves used.

The pair before you are golett, ghost/ground types who often haunt territories with ancient histories.

hustlertwo
2012-02-26, 10:26 AM
All right then. I shall engage the one on the left, if you wish for the one on the right. Good luck, Davis.

Now, Eclipse! Engage!

The Zorua uses Pursuit.

[roll0]
[roll1] physical dark

Would Kite attack? I know only one is controlled at a time and the other acts according to his nature. In Kite's case that would seem like a Scratch, since he's Brave.

planswalker
2012-02-26, 10:29 AM
if Kite felt engaged in combat, yes. But Brave does not necessarily mean Aggressive. If they threaten him, he'll scratch them.

Your agressive attack nearly takes that one out.

Menarker
2012-02-26, 04:09 PM
"... It sure looks sturdy. Maybe I could use him to pull my cart in the future."

Davis watched as Edon's Zorua dealt some pretty impressive damage.

"Oh, that's pretty good! Edon, can you do the same for this one here? I want to catch it after, and I'd rather want to avoid any mishaps.

Pass turn.

planswalker
2012-02-26, 04:51 PM
The two pokemon slap mud in the zorua's face, dealing [roll0] and [roll1] damage. One of them also gets Eclipse in the eye, increasing the ac of all its moves by 1.

hustlertwo
2012-02-26, 04:57 PM
Crud.

On the second attack, the Zorua falters and faints.

Eclipse! Don't worry little guy, we'll make it count.

Edon tosses a crystal at the Golett his Zorua had wounded.

[roll0]

hustlertwo
2012-02-26, 04:58 PM
If that is a catch, Edon will have Kite Scratch the remaining Golett.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Wow. Minimum damage and a miss anyhow.

planswalker
2012-02-26, 05:01 PM
You catch one and fail to connect with the other.

Menarker
2012-02-26, 05:48 PM
Davis watched with concerned dismay as the two golett doubleteamed the zorua, but with slight relief that one of them was captured.

"Nice capture. Merrick, you give it a scratch attack too."

"Treettttt!" The pokemon trilled as it rushed forward, bolstered by its keen insight.

Nero watched the battle, possibly itching to join in as well.

Scratch Attack:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Nero standing by. Proud nature. Dunno if you want it to join in with Mud Slap or not.

planswalker
2012-02-26, 06:39 PM
Merrick deals 10 damage to the other golett, which in turn uses rollout to hit him for [roll0] physical rock.

Nero looks at the ghost disdainfully and growls at it, reducing its attack 1 stage.

hustlertwo
2012-02-26, 06:42 PM
Come on, Kite! Fly at 'em!

The Sentret scratches just as its kin did.

[roll0]
[roll1]

All righty then.

planswalker
2012-02-26, 07:00 PM
Kite fails to hit.

Menarker
2012-02-26, 08:11 PM
"Merrick, are you alright!?" The damage from rollout was heavy as it collided roughly against the small rodent pokemon. "Let's get you out of there!"

Davis recalled the sentret and Mudkip stood some distance away from the offending Golett.

"Run some distance away and Growl again!"

Nero ran backward, as Davis assumed it would attempt to chase him down. However, he also backed up a bit, giving himself a bit more time to react.

-----------------------
Recall Sentret. Move Mudkip back 5 spaces from Golurk (toward Davis' direction). Initiates Growl in case it followed him.

Davis moves back 3 spaces.

planswalker
2012-02-27, 01:58 AM
The Golett is unable to reach anyone with rollout, and curls up defensively.

uses defense curl.

hustlertwo
2012-02-27, 10:07 AM
Kite! You can do it!

The Sentret runs in to Scratch his opponent.

[roll0]

[roll1]

There are...no words.

planswalker
2012-02-27, 10:17 AM
Kite needs to reconsider its life.

hustlertwo
2012-02-27, 10:20 AM
Edon stands in silence, wondering if it would be more effective to try and damage the Golett by swinging the Sentret by the tail and hurling it at the enemy Pokemon.

Menarker
2012-02-27, 02:23 PM
Davis took a step forward and tossed a quartz crystal, hoping that luck would help him out.

"Edon, can you toss your crystals at this one too? I'll pay you back for the ones you use up. We can't let this thing build up speed!"

Mudkip then moved up closer and attempted to splash mud all over its face, clouding its vision.

------------------
Quartz Crystal
[roll0]

Mud Slap
[roll1]
[roll2]

planswalker
2012-02-27, 03:21 PM
The quartz crystal absorbs the ghost, rolls around on the ground for a full 10 seconds, then goes still.

current capture rate: 55

hustlertwo
2012-02-27, 03:58 PM
Nice! What's the XP?

Edon slaps Davis on the back.

Great! I think those two will be quite the boon to us. I hope there's a healer in your village, however. I think Eclipse is somewhat the worse for wear.

Menarker
2012-02-27, 04:00 PM
Davis and Nero stood in cautious silence for a few scant disbelieving second. Silently, Davis then picked up his crystal.

"Err, nevermind Edon. I didn't expect him to get captured like this. Incredible power."

He then summoned Merrick, just to check his injuries. It was heavy, but not life-threatening.

"That was a good first try. Nice going Merrick."

"Sen-treeettttt!" It warbled in a pained but probably relieved tone.

He then looked at Edon. "It was a good thing you came along. I doubt I could have handled them both myself. Is your sentret ok? It seemed to be having a lot of problems."

----------------
Exp? Or is there more to this battle to be revealed?

EDIT: Also, Golett stats?

hustlertwo
2012-02-27, 04:22 PM
Yes, clearly Kite needs some training. His spirit is commendable, but his accuracy leaves something to be desired.

Edon scratches the Sentret under its chin.

I'm glad I came as well. Would have felt terrible if something had happened to you while I was in town.

planswalker
2012-02-27, 07:30 PM
360 xp.

The second golett is a lvl 9.

The rest of your journey back to the village is uneventful.

hustlertwo
2012-02-27, 07:46 PM
Edon looks around at this unfamiliar burg, hoping to see a sign of a healer nearby.

planswalker
2012-02-27, 07:53 PM
well, menarker, I'll let you set up the town however you wish. Just keep it reasonable for its size. Beyond that, carte blanche

Menarker
2012-02-27, 10:38 PM
OOC:

(Ra-vec) A relatively new and poor developing town. There is little to offer for tourism, but being near two intersecting common roads, it has mostly seen use as a rest point and shelter for travelers, which then led to the occasion merchant who camp out nearby to hawk their wares while giving time for their pack pokemon and slaves to rest before they leave for elsewhere. It also has a blessed fortune to be near a rich grove, which tends to provide berries during the warmer seasons. However, with limited space to grow more than a few types of crops due to other surrounding lands being on a slightly rocky incline and not yet readied for agriculutre, Ra-vec currently trades with the fairly nearby Schmutzburg. Their primary ammenities include a sizable although rather infurbished inn complete with a stable near a clean brook, a town hall open to everyone, and a few scattered houses with citizens making do with their own trade, often as farmers, one of which houses both the constable and the healer.

@Map:
Top Left: Constable/Jail and Healer House.
Top Center/Right: Inn/Bar and Stable
Bottom 2 left houses: Random NPC citizens
Bottom Center building: A few huts or wandering merchants selling wares.
Bottom Right Building: Town Hall (Merchant gathering place)

Use this URL and copy everything that is in the spoiler tag into the box below the button "Make Image". Then press the "Make Image" button. (http://www.stonesword.com/worldmaker.php)

forest_2.gif,forest_2.gif,grass_1.gif,road_nsoo.gi f,grass_1.gif,forest_2.gif,forest_2.gif,grass_1.gi f,grass_1.gif,forest_2.gif,river_nsoo.gif,barren_1 .gif,barren_1.gif,barren_1.gif
forest_2.gif,forest_2.gif,grass_1.gif,road_nsoo.gi f,grass_1.gif,grass_1.gif,fort_1.gif,fort_1.gif,ru in_v.gif,grass_1.gif,river_nsoo.gif,grass_1.gif,gr ass_1.gif,barren_1.gif
forest_2.gif,grass_1.gif,town_1.gif,road_nowe.gif, road_oswo.gif,grass_1.gif,fort_1.gif,fort_1.gif,ru in_v.gif,grass_1.gif,river_nooe.gif,river_oowe.gif ,river_oowe.gif,river_oowe.gif
grass_1.gif,grass_1.gif,grass_1.gif,grass_1.gif,ro ad_nsoo.gif,grass_1.gif,grass_1.gif,road_nsoo.gif, grass_1.gif,grass_1.gif,grass_1.gif,grass_1.gif,gr ass_1.gif,grass_1.gif
road_oswe.gif,road_oowe.gif,road_oswe.gif,road_oow e.gif,road_nswe.gif,road_oowe.gif,road_oswe.gif,ro ad_nswe.gif,road_oowe.gif,road_oowe.gif,road_oswe. gif,road_oowe.gif,road_oowe.gif,road_oowe.gif
town_1.gif,grass_1.gif,town_1.gif,grass_1.gif,road _nsoo.gif,grass_1.gif,town_1.gif,town_1.gif,grass_ 1.gif,treetown_1.gif,treetown_1.gif,grass_1.gif,ba rren_1.gif,barren_1.gif
grass_1.gif,grass_1.gif,grass_1.gif,grass_1.gif,ro ad_nsoo.gif,grass_1.gif,grass_1.gif,grass_1.gif,gr ass_1.gif,grass_1.gif,grass_1.gif,grass_1.gif,gras s_1.gif,grass_1.gif
mountain_2.gif,barren_1.gif,grass_1.gif,road_osoe. gif,road_nowo.gif,hill_3.gif,mountain_4.gif,mounta in_5.gif,mountain_2.gif,mountain_17.gif,mountain_1 3.gif,hill_5.gif,mountain_2.gif,hill_5.gif

@Plans: What season are we in atm? Or are we even using the same calendar as RL?

Also, you can control the NPCs here. I'm not too particular about anything in the town really.

-----------------------

Approaching the town from the eastern road, Davis sighed as the journey was over for now. He then approached Edon with an extended hand.

"Alright, I'll take the cart to where it belongs. I live in that inn there. I'll see if you can supp and stay the night for free at least."

He then started pointing toward a few buildings from where he stood.
"That way, you can find a healer. If there is anything that can be bought here aside from a meal and a room, it might be best found over in that direction. Anyhow, I guess I'll see you later Edon."

"Kip kippp!" Nero hopped a little before Davis steered toward the inn and stable.

------------------------
OOC: I won't be posting for a little while due to exam studies.

hustlertwo
2012-02-27, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the directions, Davis. Good luck with your family, and let me know if you need me for anything.

Edon shakes his friend's hand and then walks toward the building of the healer, looking to restore Eclipse as well as his newfound Golett.

planswalker
2012-02-28, 09:45 AM
http://www.stonesword.com/im/world/cache/20120228-074133.png

The village healer, an old man whose face was full of wrinkles greets you, saying, "Welcome to Ra-vec. How can I help you today?"

hustlertwo
2012-02-28, 11:04 AM
That'll work too.

Hello, I am traveling with a resident of this village, Davis. He and I encountered a pair of spirit creatures during the journey. I captured one, but not before it laid another of my creatures low. I was hoping to get healing both for Eclipse, my Zorua, and my new...Golett, I believe is the name for the beast?

planswalker
2012-02-28, 07:07 PM
"Yes, I can do that. How will you be paying for the healing?"

hustlertwo
2012-02-28, 08:23 PM
Edon slowly disrobes, choking back a sob as he prepares to sacrifice his honor and allow himself to be defiled in order to get his Pokemon healed.

I have some coin, although if I can trade healing services in return for helping you out with something around here, I would be glad to do so. Especially if you have some potions or poultices I could keep with me to heal the injuries of my brood while out in the world.

planswalker
2012-02-28, 09:39 PM
"It will be one gold apiece to heal your pokemon, and my potions will take a day to prepare and will also be 1 gold each. I'm short on gold and long on favors at the moment."

planswalker
2012-02-28, 09:41 PM
"It will be one gold apiece to heal your pokemon, and my potions will take a day to prepare and will also be 1 gold each. I'm short on gold and long on favors at the moment."

planswalker
2012-02-28, 09:45 PM

Menarker
2012-02-29, 01:27 AM
Davis parked the cart by the back door of the inn, which he rapped a bit.

"Ma, it's me!"

The door opened but, it was his father instead who had opened it. He had a bit of a big nose and a bigger mustache and his hair retreated slightly, but he still had a strong looking appearance.

"Ah, Davis. Your mum is preparing some meals for a guest or two, along with our own. It's about time you came back, we were wondering if everything was ok."

"Well, a lot happened actually. Stayed overnight at the inn and did a sidejob where I caught one of these rodents the wand called a Sentret."

"Kip kipp!" Nero remarked as if saying "That's right!"

"And I made a new friend Edon, who came along with me on the way back."

"Kip kipp!" Nero commented again.

"We both got attacked by these powerful things called Golett. We both managed to catch them though. And I brought back everything that we needed in the first place." Davis commented as he gestured toward the cart just behind him.
"KIP!"

"I see. Is this Edon still around? I suppose I should probably thank him a little."

Davis scratched his head.
"I think so. Unless he left immediately, he should still be around here somewhere."

"... Very well. If you see him, invite him over for a little. Anyhow, I suppose you're tired so I won't ask you to help me right now. Your mother is a bit busy too, so why don't you come back in an hour or so?"

"Oh, ok Dad. See you later."

Davis then walked over to the healer's place, with Mudkip in tow as he greeted the two of them.

"Good afternoon, Elgyn! Ah, Edon, you're getting your pokemon treated?" Davis chuckled a bit. "I should probably do the same as well." As soon as he said this, he summoned the sentret and the Golett, as he watched the Golett's behavior in particular. "How much will I owe you for tending to these two?"

hustlertwo
2012-02-29, 05:34 AM
Edon counts out four gold pieces; two for the heals, and two for potions.

Another good bargain; today has been full of them. Schmutzburg potions are thrice what you charge.

He waves to Davis as he comes into the healer's side of the building.

Ho there, Davis. Everything going well with your family?

He winces as he sees the still-fresh wounds on Merrick.

Are you sure it's wise to have those two out at the same time? I wouldn't know if Merrick would hold a grudge against the earth spirit. Edon calls out his unconscious Zorua, but leaves the Golett in its crystal until Eclipse is healed and back in its own crystal.

planswalker
2012-02-29, 06:32 AM
"Same price I always do, a gold each."

To Edon, he says, "It should be no problem. I can keep them from squabbling while I heal them. The potions will be ready tomorrow."

hustlertwo
2012-02-29, 07:17 AM
Thank you kindly, sir.

He looks to Davis.

Do you know of anyone in town we could challenge to a battle? Or perhaps wild creatures in your area worth catching?

Assuming Menarker would have some or all of this info since he grew up around here.

planswalker
2012-02-29, 08:36 AM
indeed, and this is part of the carte blance

hustlertwo
2012-02-29, 01:15 PM
Does he also get carte blanche on what Pokemon are in the area? I assume it wouldn't extend that far. If so, I think edon may visit his father's commune after all.

planswalker
2012-02-29, 01:38 PM
yes, but I do reserve the banhammer for ridiculous things

Menarker
2012-02-29, 06:54 PM
Davis gently hushed his sentret and golett over to the healer, offering 5 gold.
"I would also like 3 potions along with treatment for these two. Thank you Elgyn."

Thank you kindly, sir.

He looks to Davis.

Do you know of anyone in town we could challenge to a battle? Or perhaps wild creatures in your area worth catching?

Davis thought for a moment before he pointed to himself with a wry smirk.

"Well, we never battled each other yet..." The lad left the suggestion hanging in the air.
"MUUUUUUDDDDDDD!" Nero growled playfully as if taunting into a friendly spar.

"As for wild pokemon, give me a moment to think. You can probably count on a few birds, a few rodents, a water pokemon or two in the brook, some bugs or grass types in the grove, maybe a small rock pokemon on our rocky hills. Once in a rare while, I'd hear a passerby visiting the inn say they saw an unusual looking pokemon, much like a little child. Also, I could have sworn I once saw this pokemon that looked like a bug living in a rock. However, I have not had Mudkip for a terribly long time and I was told to keep away from tall grasses and stay within town or on the road as much as I can before then.

Elgyn nodded "As anyone without a sizable number of pokemon able to fight should. While many of these might be prone to keep their distance, they can just as easy become aggressive, especially if they have a taste for meat."

"Anyhow, I was thinking of checking out the grove to get some berries, if there are any left. Might be worth checking out."

-------------------
OOC: Personal wishlist that might fit in this area includes: "Ralts (Preferably male), Togepi (Both Ralts and Togepi could easily be considered child-like), Eevee, and Shuckle (Especially since there is rocky areas and a berry grove, something which Shuckle as a species tend to like.)
I have to admit though, catching a Ralts seems like a difficult task without a sleep inducing effect, mean look or otherwise befriending the pokemon. (Which could be difficult if they are already wary).

18 Gold and spare change down to 13 Gold and spare change.

hustlertwo
2012-02-29, 10:36 PM
Ha, anytime you want to fight, I'm game. But I'm not sure how much we can learn from each other, having already watched the other fight several times.

Ultimately, this is your town, so I'd say it's your call. Should we look for some traniers among your friends and family to hone our skills, or go out into the wild to search for more creatures to tame?

Either way, however, I would like to try out the merchant quarter you have here before we depart. There's a move I think might serve my newly restored Eclipse well, and I'd like to see if the ritual to teach it can be found here.

Hmmm...not much there I'd want, although an Eevee would be sweet. Guess we should go out and see what is to be seen.

Menarker
2012-02-29, 11:39 PM
"Certainly, I'll come along with you too. We can decide what to do after."

------------------------

Once the healer has finished with working on their pokemon, Davis led Edon over across the road from the inn to a mini-bazaar of sort. Some were those who lived in the city selling a few of the wares they could manage to make with their trade, but still a few others were travellers, resting from the trip and trying to make a few coins in the process.

--------------------------
OOC: My main focus would be the Cut TM and possibly Waterfall, if the price is decent.

hustlertwo
2012-02-29, 11:45 PM
Edon wished to try out this learning ritual he had heard of before, but never seen. He looks for anyone at the market who might sell such arcane devices.

Hello, I am seeking a way to teach my dark fox to hack through the thicker undergrowth on some of the more forgotten paths...as well as those who would oppose him. Can anyone show me a product to do this?

He also keeps his wand and crystals prominently displayed, hoping to catch the eye of any other beginning trainers in the crowded square.

planswalker
2012-03-01, 08:09 AM
One swarthy fellow selling things gives you a blank look and says, "You mean a Cut training ritual? Ten gold."

hustlertwo
2012-03-01, 11:08 AM
I'm afraid my need is not that dire, sir. I cannot pay more than a single gold piece for this ritual.

planswalker
2012-03-01, 11:10 AM
"That doesn't even pay for the ink. Nine gold."

hustlertwo
2012-03-01, 11:19 AM
I'm not negotiating, friend. Just stating a fact. Good day to you.

Edon walks off, browsing the rest of the market for any deals.

planswalker
2012-03-01, 12:02 PM
You hear him mutter "Damn kid doesn't know how to negotiate."

If 1 gold for an item normally priced at 7.5 is the most you'll do, then there's nothing in the market you'll find tempting.

hustlertwo
2012-03-01, 01:07 PM
Uh...Cut is 75 bucks normally, isn't it? Meaning .75 gold. You're talking about charging 10x the face value. I was willing to go a little over, hence the 1 gold ($100). But neither Edon or his controller are willing to be fleeced. Besides, it's just a bump in damage die size. Even if I'm wrong and it's supposed to be $750/7.5 gold, it sure as heck isn't worth it.

planswalker
2012-03-01, 03:43 PM
excuse me, I had misremembered the price to be 750

hustlertwo
2012-03-01, 10:59 PM
No problem. What's the actual price this guy will charge then?

hustlertwo
2012-03-01, 11:37 PM
Bump bump bump

planswalker
2012-03-01, 11:44 PM
He starts his negotiations at 1 gold.

hustlertwo
2012-03-01, 11:45 PM
I will give you a gold piece, provided I can have three silver in return.

planswalker
2012-03-01, 11:51 PM
"Eighteen silver"

hustlertwo
2012-03-02, 12:04 AM
Very well.

The youth hands over a gold piece and collects his change.

How long will the ritual's effect take to occur?

planswalker
2012-03-02, 12:11 AM
He gives you 2 silver in exchange and says, "This ritual takes about an hour to cast."

He goes in the back and fetches a folded piece of parchment.

hustlertwo
2012-03-02, 12:17 AM
Edon selects the crystal where his Zorua is stored.

Eclipse, come on out! Let's see about giving you some sharper claws.

hustlertwo
2012-03-02, 12:19 AM
Edon selects the crystal where his Zorua is stored.

Eclipse, come on out! Let's see about giving you some sharper claws.

planswalker
2012-03-02, 12:26 AM
Eclipse looks at you expectantly.

The merchant says, "Mind moving back behind the shop so you aren't interfering with the traffic? I promise no one will disturb you back there."

hustlertwo
2012-03-02, 12:40 AM
Edon leads the Zorua to their somewhat more private area. He strokes the fox-being's fur.

I hope this won't hurt, Eclipse. But if it does, know that it is to help keep you from further pain. seems like in this world the only way to keep from getting hurt is to do it to someone else first, and harder. A little depressing, that...

He begins the incantations to teach the move to Eclipse.

planswalker
2012-03-02, 12:47 AM
An hour of incanting, gesturing, and dancing, your zorua's claws seem a little sharper. The parchment disintegrates in your hands.

hustlertwo
2012-03-02, 11:21 AM
Now, to try out your newfound skills.

Edon exits the building and heads back into the bazaar. He scans the crowd for any other trainers to challenge, especially if like himself they appear to be beginners (to the extent that such a thing can be noticed, of course).

hustlertwo
2012-03-02, 11:22 AM
Now, to try out your newfound skills.

Edon exits the building and heads back into the bazaar. He scans the crowd for any other trainers to challenge, especially if like himself they appear to be beginners (to the extent that such a thing can be noticed, of course).

Not showing up.

planswalker
2012-03-02, 01:42 PM
He finds a young girl in the crowd who is engaging in a shouting match with a merchant over the price of his quartz. She has a small blue-green skinned humanoid pokemon with thick muscles and a ridge on its head that was contributing to the arm waving and noise coming from the stall.

planswalker
2012-03-02, 01:43 PM
He finds a young girl in the crowd who is engaging in a shouting match with a merchant over the price of his quartz. She has a small blue-green skinned humanoid pokemon with thick muscles and a ridge on its head that was contributing to the arm waving and noise coming from the stall.

Menarker
2012-03-02, 02:10 PM
*Just before Edon went into spell-casting mode for an hour*

Davis watched Edon and the merchant haggle for a tiny bit, waiting patiently until the transaction was made before he went to the same merchant too. He then approached him calmly and in a leisurely fashion after a little browsing.

"Good afternoon sir. How has business been for you today?

I would also like to have one of those scrolls you sold to my friend if you have more left. Also, I was wondering if you would happen to have something that would be suitable for a water type. One that likes fighting up close and personal."

---------------------
*After the hour of Edon's casting...*

Davis approached a little closer to view the strong humanoid looking pokemon, casually listening in on the girl's conversation, only slightly intimidated by the high pressure argument. The youth endeavored to ask her permission to use his wand on her pokemon, and maybe find out where she caught it.

planswalker
2012-03-02, 02:24 PM
"Sure do. One gold"

"As for something for water types, I've got a ritual for dive, only eighty gold. In the city, this thing goes for easily over a hundred."

Menarker
2012-03-02, 04:04 PM
Davis pondered for a moment, before he shook his head and calmly laid out the details.

"Let me think about the Cut one for a bit. But that Dive ritual doesn't do me any favors. I don't exactly live near any deep body of water that I know of. It's also more than I can possibly afford. I'm only asking for one of those one-time rituals, not a reusable one. Do you have something like Waterfall?"

"KIP KIP!"

"Haha, yes it would be for this adorable little fellow." Davis smirked as he picked up the mudkip with both hands around its waist and tilted it back and forth in the air, showing off his cuteness.

"Any chance I could get the Cut ritual for the 18 silver you charged for my friend?"

------------------
OOC: Charisma check! Also, adorable mudkip!

planswalker
2012-03-02, 04:12 PM
"I could knock ten gold off the price of the dive TM. And I do have -one- ritual for waterfall. That one is one hundred gold, which is still cheaper than city prices. Rituals are expensive things. That IS the price for a single-use ritual. If you want to buy it as a a ritual stone you can reuse, you'll have to go to a large city, and expect them to want 200 gold at least."

hustlertwo
2012-03-03, 12:14 AM
Edon, emboldened by the impetuousness of youth, walks up to the girl, wand in hand.

Point out to this fellow that quartz gems are going for just one gold over in the town of Schmutzburg. Bought a few myself.

He then scans the humanoid creature while maintaining a respectful distance.

An interesting fellow you have here. Got any more of them? I'm interested in trying a friendly competition with another creature controller; I had one in the last town and it was a good learning experience.

Machop, I assume? So I can mark him off on the 'dex.

hustlertwo
2012-03-03, 12:15 AM
I'm just so over this forum.

planswalker
2012-03-03, 12:20 AM
The merchant turns to you and says, "Then go over to that town to buy them. My crystals are three gold. If you don't like it, but from somewhere else."

"You wanna fight Bill here? Sounds good!" the girl says, "Just let me finish yelling at this moron over here."

hustlertwo
2012-03-03, 12:28 AM
Absolutely; I know enough not to get between a lady and her argument. And if you have anyone other than Bill to use, I'm interested in a 2 or 3 monster match on either side.

Edon steps aside to watch the incendiary results of Skinflint vs. Shyster.

planswalker
2012-03-03, 12:33 AM
In the end, she talks him down to 2 gold apiece, and buys ten.

"How about a 4 on 4 match?" she says to you.

hustlertwo
2012-03-03, 12:37 AM
Sure, I can do that.

However, Edon glances nervously at the crystal that contains Kite the Blind Hobblin' Bozo.

For a wager, how about 1 gold and ten silver from you, against a crystal from me?

What would it cost for some base materials like wood and paint? As I mentioned in the chat, i think Edon might go ahead and invent some Trainer Tags.

planswalker
2012-03-03, 12:45 AM
"Hm... no. How about three gold from you against my crystal? That's the merchant's standard price for it, and you'll either get it free or pay me for the privilege of losing to me."

hustlertwo
2012-03-03, 12:48 AM
It's coin I seek, not crystals. Got a few empty ones already. 2 gold each? I'm still kinda new at this, so not sure about betting more...

planswalker
2012-03-03, 12:52 AM
"How about..."

and then she pauses, and realizes she was about to try to convince you to take an uneven bet where you both bet currency.

"Um, maybe 2 and a quarter each?"

hustlertwo
2012-03-03, 01:10 AM
Two gold, five silver. Very well. I hope I don't regret this decision. Ready when you are, I suppose. Will you be starting with Bill?

planswalker
2012-03-03, 01:32 AM
"Find out" she says

hustlertwo
2012-03-03, 11:33 PM
Send them out at the same time, I guess?

Edon selects his crystal and sends forth his first creature at the moment his opponent does so.

Let's go, Eclipse!

The Zorua bursts out, claws sharpened and ready to go.

planswalker
2012-03-04, 04:30 PM
Indeed, she does start with bill.

You are faster.

hustlertwo
2012-03-04, 06:46 PM
Edon shifts out the Zorua and sends Golett out instead.

I assume this means Bill now goes, or do I finish out my turn despite likely having the slower Pokemon?

planswalker
2012-03-05, 08:43 AM
finish out the turn.

and you have the faster pokemon. That is why I said:
You are faster.

hustlertwo
2012-03-05, 11:21 AM
I know, but I have the slower Pokemon now, with Golett (presumably). But you're saying Golett is treated as the faster for this first round since it's taking the Zorua's spot. So I guess this means you should always lead with a fast one, since they can give the slower ones first crack anyhow. Unless you end up against someone with a trap ability or move, that is...

Drago, toughen up!

The Golett will use Defense Curl to raise his Defense 1 stage.

planswalker
2012-03-05, 08:33 PM
no, I'm telling you that you've taken your trainer's turn already and your zorua must take a turn before you can switch

hustlertwo
2012-03-05, 10:38 PM
OK, so the Pokemon goes, then it is switched out? Confusing. This is why I asked about this stuff in the Edupad well before the fight began. But I guess I should put queries on here instead of there, since the stuff there is kinda getting ignored.

Eclipse will use Cut.

[roll0]

[roll1]

hustlertwo
2012-03-05, 10:57 PM
Whoops, forgot the Cut dice. Although I was probably better off with the original roll.

[roll0]

I could be wrong, though.

planswalker
2012-03-06, 02:28 AM
I check edupad, but I do NOT see where you'd asked.

You cut the machop a good cut. One more hit like that would probably knock it out. However, the machop gives a low kick at the zorua which hits for [roll0] physical fighting damage.

hustlertwo
2012-03-06, 07:33 AM
Uh....at the top of the Q and A section? Where it's been for roughly five days? You literally answered the question right below it. As for why it doesn't have color, I don't know, it happened to all the older questions. But that only happened yesterday, it was still there a couple days before that. I asked as soon as she accepted the battle, for this exact reason.

And the Handbook wasn't any help on this either. The microscopic section on trainer actions doesn't mention a word about not being able to switch out on the first turn (or if it did, I missed it). It says you can deploy and switch every round, and doesn't seem to include that the beginning of the fight counts as part of that. Hence my need for clarification.

The zorua is pushed deep into the negs.

Eclipse! Don't worry, we'll get you taken care of after this is over. Drago, finish what Eclipse started!

Out comes the Golett.

Do I act? Or is this considered a separate fight and the Machop goes first?

hustlertwo
2012-03-06, 09:07 AM
Razzum frazzum forum.

planswalker
2012-03-06, 01:08 PM
the full and (hopefully) exhaustive explanation is in the pad now. I never saw the question. Skipping over it was not deliberate.

She says, "Well, this one looks tougher than your last. Let's see how it does against a- ROCK SMASH!"

Her machop goes faster, but, of course, rock smash passes right through.

hustlertwo
2012-03-06, 01:22 PM
I didn't figure it was deliberate, I figured you either skimmed or hadn't checked on the Edupad of late. And it doesn't much matter now. I don't care too much if I win or lose (which is good given the apparent level of that Machop); I still have a little money left, and I get XP either way. But if that miscommunication had resulted in the death of the Zorua (as was statistically likely, in fact), then I'd probably have gotten miffed.

There you go, Drago! Now hit 'em one for Eclipse!

The Golett attempts to Astonish his foe.

[roll0]

[roll1]

Oh, Shadow Punch, you can't come soon enough....hope he has No Guard as an ability.

Damage should have been 14 instead of 12...not that it matters.

planswalker
2012-03-06, 01:33 PM
sorry, he has focus (last chance for fighting)

"Um, well, I guess that thing's a ghost. So much for Bill."

She switches out machop for a bright pink jellyfish looking thing.

"I've got my own ghost!"

"Pinky Pie! Show him who's the biggest ghost on the block!"

you have an opportunity to switch before the pokemon goes. Hers is faster than yours.

hustlertwo
2012-03-06, 01:42 PM
Edon scans it, quite unsure what he is seeing. He also switches out the Golett.

Looks like a job for you, Hokum!

The Magnemite bursts forth.

Oh, right, Last Chance! That must be why his attack was so high. I thought maybe he was just in the teens for level or something.

Also, I think I know what this thing is now. Funny, I was just bringing in Hokum because he resisted Ghost attacks. Now it's an even better move.

planswalker
2012-03-06, 10:25 PM
Pinkie Pie goes first, and it uses bubble for [roll0] damage.

at the start of your next turn, you'll have a positive ID on the pokemon

hustlertwo
2012-03-06, 11:06 PM
Water, huh? We know what to do with that. Try your strange beam attack, Hokum.

The Magnemite emits a surge of energy at the jelly, (hopefully) lighting it up.

T-Shock: [roll0]
[roll1] electric special damage.

Current HP: 19/22

planswalker
2012-03-07, 12:38 PM
and yes, I did double fore weakness

Only 2 damage gets through its incredible defenses.

It bubbles at you once more, but misses.

hustlertwo
2012-03-07, 01:03 PM
I know, base special defense is 9. They're like Tentacool/cruel that way. Still, if it has that high of Special Attack and Special Defense I must have been right the first time, these guys do have several levels on my own. As long as I can not have anyone die, the loss of money will be more than offset by the big XP drop.

Try it again, Hokum!

[roll0]
[roll1]

hustlertwo
2012-03-07, 01:05 PM
Timely! I'm at work, so no access to Handbook. Are crits double damage or do you roll something again?

planswalker
2012-03-07, 01:12 PM
you roll the damage from the move again, but not any of the attack/stab/trainer bonus damage.

in this case, [roll0] damage.

planswalker
2012-03-07, 01:14 PM
You strike it dead on, and 16 damage gets through.

On its turn, it bubbles you for [roll0]

hustlertwo
2012-03-07, 01:22 PM
It's paralyzed now, right? So even if I swtch out for another mon it'll be slower?

Hokum is looking weary.

Just give me a little more, buddy.

[roll0]
[roll1]

planswalker
2012-03-07, 11:21 PM
You nearly managed to take it down, and it is paralyzed, unable to act this turn.

hustlertwo
2012-03-07, 11:26 PM
[roll0]

[roll1]

Come on Hokum, you can't take another bubble blast.

Rats, 6 damage.

planswalker
2012-03-07, 11:53 PM
That knocks your foe out, but barely.

"Wow, you've got a powerful pokemon there."

She sends Bill back out.

hustlertwo
2012-03-07, 11:56 PM
Thanks. I couldn't believe how tough yours was; Hokum's blasts seemed to do little more than tickle it, even that supercharged one.

Edon switches out for his Golett.

planswalker
2012-03-08, 12:01 AM
"... this seems familiar. Like I should have seen this one coming."

The machop is unable to harm you with its moves.

hustlertwo
2012-03-08, 12:05 AM
It may not be very sporting, but I do have to avenge the thrashing my Zorua took.

Drago tries his Astonish again.

[roll0], Flinch chance
[roll1]