PDA

View Full Version : Axe-Throwing Halfing? [3.5]

Nyghtshade
2012-02-15, 07:45 PM
Sometime in the near future I'm going to be joining a weekend campaign. The DM has already given me instructions for character generation:

Starting level: 3.
Cannot crossclass the first three levels.
No Clerics or Paladins.
No homebrew.
Base Races only.

My original idea before the no crossclassing stipulation was a Female Half-Orc Rogue named Golgitha who specialized in throwing axes. The build was going to go something like:

Rogue, Fighter (2), Rogue (2), Assassin (2), Master Thrower (5), Assassin (8).

However since the stipulation I've decided to double check my bases and ask for some help. In essence I want to make an axe-throwing character with the highest damage output possible. I've decided to change my race to halfling.

Now before somebody decides to rant off a list of reasons why going down the throwing route is a horrible idea and that there are so many other builds that are stronger, stop. My reasons for doing this are for comedic relief I'm going to be the only lighthearted person in my party. And what's funnier than a child like female rogue chucking throwing axes that are almost her size?

So I will reiterate; I need your suggestions for the best damage dealing axe throwing halfling you can think of.

Limitations: If you can find it in an official book I can use it, with exceptions to things that are cheesetastic.

Godskook
2012-02-15, 07:57 PM
Is tome of battle available? Cause bloodstorm blade is beckoning to you.

Nyghtshade
2012-02-15, 08:02 PM
Yes, Tome of Battle is available.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-02-15, 08:21 PM
What's your definition of "cheese"? Contingent Dimension Door, wishing for more Wishes (or a LE candle of invocation, or a ring of three wishes with all three wishes, or to get the ability to cast Gate as a 1/day SLA), or being able to ignore hardness and DR with standard action attacks?

Nyghtshade
2012-02-15, 08:26 PM
Casting a dimensional door and using wishes, while I personally don't have anything against them, doesn't fit the flavor of my character or from what I would imagine (knowing the DM) the campaign. So I would have to classify those as cheese.

If something modifies stats in a logical way that would fit with my character concept: (23 year old Halfling Rogue who chucks axes at people). It will work.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-02-15, 08:48 PM
Casting a dimensional door and using wishes, while I personally don't have anything against them, doesn't fit the flavor of my character or from what I would imagine (knowing the DM) the campaign. So I would have to classify those as cheese.

If something modifies stats in a logical way that would fit with my character concept: (23 year old Halfling Rogue who chucks axes at people). It will work.

Dammit, I had a post, but computer ate it.

Basically, just go warblade/bloodstorm blade, don't take Stone Dragon stances, and just pick any maneuvers from Iron Heart/Tiger Claw/Diamond Mind (and Diamond Mind can just be refluffed as focusing or just training so much things are second nature). Mountain Hammer is also the best Stone Dragon Maneuver, but you can take others as long as they don't allow a save to negate everything but the basic attack.

skycycle blues
2012-02-15, 09:17 PM
I've never seen it in practice, but Whisperknife from Races of the Wild is a 10 level full BAB class that is Halfling specific. It focuses on using light weapons in combat and throwing them. It looks very fun.

Darrin
2012-02-16, 08:01 AM
Base Races only.

Does "base races" include Strongheart Halfling?

So I will reiterate; I need your suggestions for the best damage dealing axe throwing halfling you can think of.

Warblade 3/Fighter 2/Bloodstorm Blade 2/Master Thrower 5 should be pretty solid.

I might also fiddle around with starting as Rogue 3/Fighter 2 (taking the Halfling Substitution levels for 4d6 ranged sneak attack).

If Strongheart Halfling and Mystic Ranger were available, I'd probably seriously consider a Swift Hunter build.