PDA

View Full Version : Play-By-Post Nation-State Crafting System?

Force
2012-02-15, 07:49 PM
So I'm going to be running a play-by-post game in which the players control a very small nation state (not quite, they're going to be running Atlantis from Stargate: Atlantis with some changes) and have the opportunity to research and build advanced technology for the benefit of their polity. What I need is a system that will help me determine how much they can build of certain technologies as relates to their resources-- power and mass. Has anyone ever come across such a system?

Grinner
2012-02-15, 10:09 PM
I've never heard of anything like that, but you might try adapting something from an RTS. I see you've already got the resources defined, so you'll want to try defining what they can research. You'll also need to define how many resources they get, and the methods through which they can acquire more.

Saladman
2012-02-20, 01:54 PM
I haven't seen an exact match for what you're after. The closest thing I know of is An Echo, Resounding (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=99063). It's optimized for fantasy gaming and would need adapted. By default it uses three resources: Wealth, Social, and Military. But the basic structure of it is adaptable, and the whole point of it is to abstract the kind of stuff you're talking about instead of having to count out gold pieces every time.

Eldan
2012-02-20, 03:11 PM
So I'm going to be running a play-by-post game in which the players control a very small nation state (not quite, they're going to be running Atlantis from Stargate: Atlantis with some changes) and have the opportunity to research and build advanced technology for the benefit of their polity. What I need is a system that will help me determine how much they can build of certain technologies as relates to their resources-- power and mass. Has anyone ever come across such a system?

Go look on the game boards here. There have been dozens and dozens and dozens of games where people run a nation on here, with various systems, many of which were homebrewed. Just counting those I've written and run... Lords of Hell, Moons of Theia, Lords of the Elements: Return of the Titans, Galaxy: Rise of the Second Wave, Conquest of a New World, Colonization... The lost goes on a while after that.

Anyway, the most popular by far on these boards is Total War, which I think that's a shame, really, since it's almost entirely without defined rules. It has been used tons of different settings too, on here, from my own Total War: Tamriel to Total War: River Kingdoms, Total War: Game of Thrones, Total War: Earth 2125, Total War: Cyberpunk and currently, Total War: Dresden Files.

A system you might want to have a look at, maybe, is Manifest Destiny 2. We never really got to run it, but I think it was fundamentally more or less stable. There were others around at the same time, too.