PDA

View Full Version : Post is in thread, but won't show until someone else posts

TechnOkami
2012-02-15, 08:32 PM
This has happened to me on several occasions before, and it's a strange occurrence. Basically, I will post on a thread, and the thread will recognize that a new post is there (on the next page) but won't show it until a second post has been made on the second page. Yet the thread will say that there's a new post and a new page, but it's inaccessible. It's a nuisance, to be honest.

What other kinds of specific information should I give about the issue?

Edit: this has occurred today at 5:37, Pacific Time on the League of Legends thread in the Gaming section. I was using my iPhone.

Siosilvar
2012-02-15, 08:47 PM
Basically, this happens every now and then, increasingly so now that the servers have to deal with enormous numbers of people. There's nothing that can be done to fix it, short of buying new servers for Rich and the crew.

No, they don't accept donations. People have asked before.

TechnOkami
2012-02-15, 08:53 PM
Aww.... hm, that's unfortunate.

Viera Champion
2012-02-15, 09:16 PM
You might be interested in noting that the last (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231649) two (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232837) help threads have been about this very issue, and it would not behoove you to look first. You may find your problem solved quicker if you look.:smallbiggrin:

TechnOkami
2012-02-15, 09:36 PM
:/ I apologize.

Update: the thread is working fine now.

Rockphed
2012-02-15, 10:22 PM
No, they don't accept donations. People have asked before.

The ads at the top and bottom of every forum page were instituted in an attempt to make enough money to upgrade the server. If you wanted to, you could put in a bid for an ad with something like "Rich Burlew is totally awesome" or similar, set the per-day bid high and the total money in the account to however much you wanted to donate, and it would, mostly, make its way into the Giant's pocket. Or, if you wanted, you could make an ad for your own website, or your favourite webcomic, or your gaming store of choice, or just about anything not political or religious, and the money would get used to keep the site running.

That said, I recall the Giant saying that the problem isn't in terms of a simple "We need X dollars to upgrade the server" but rather "we need a steady stream of money to upgrade the server, and ad revenue has fluctuated between almost enough to make the switch and nowhere near enough to make the switch."

In short, the Giant does not accept donations, but you can pay him to put just about anything in the banners at the top and bottom of every forum page.