PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Good module for newbies?

Alleine
2012-02-15, 08:43 PM
I might be running a game for two people who are relatively new to DnD and I'd like to use a module so I can focus on tweaking it for their characters rather than building something from scratch. One of them has played before, but it's been awhile since she last played 3.5 and so wants to basically get her footing. The other player is her 9 year old brother, who I expect to play a barbarian focused on smashing things and generally being silly as little boys are prone to do :smalltongue:

Mostly the group I play with makes their own adventures from scratch, but I haven't had that much experience with it, so I figure it's safer to just go with a module and tweak it as necessary.

Does anyone know of a good module to run? Maybe any experiences with running a game for two?

subject42
2012-02-15, 09:01 PM
(Cue Paizo hate)

Paizo's Rise of the Runelords adventure path is a pretty good introduction to D&D. The first module starts with a bog-standard goblin invasion and later modules work up to a vast international conspiracy.

LansXero
2012-02-15, 09:17 PM
Death in Freeport was our first module and it was a really good one; it doesnt have anything too system-specific to deal with, (even though its made for D&D 3.5) so it should be a good way to introduce people to the game.

Wyntonian
2012-02-15, 11:10 PM
I personally find this page (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20030530b&page=1) to be a source of inspiration. Most every module I've looked at is a "Go here, hit that, get swag" sort of thing, so a 9-year-old barbarian would love it. I've personally run a (heavily modified) Burning Plague, so I can attest that it's a decently fun one.

Mordokai
2012-02-15, 11:33 PM
Scourge of the Howling Horde is another one with goblin invasion on a hamlet in a middle of nowhere. It boils down to killing all the goblins and becoming a hero. It's even designed with first time DM's in mind and I imagine it won't be any harder on players.

Besides, it's reasonably fun. For first timers at least.

navar100
2012-02-15, 11:41 PM
Sunless Citadel, the introduction to 3E, is a fun one. Befriend Meepo. Rescue the "pet". Perhaps the kobolds will like you for defeating the goblins for them. Then deal with the true threat.

Good times!

Alleine
2012-02-15, 11:47 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'll definitely check them out. :smallbiggrin:

Duskranger
2012-02-16, 05:24 AM
I will be running the sunless citadel for a group of new players and after reading it I can say it's a good idea.

It has everything a D&D player could want (IMHO). Skillchecks, combat, free choice, and only a little bit of railroading, since the players can always choose things. Besides that it also seems to be fun to run, which in my opinion sounds good.

And everything is better than Tome of Horrors now isn't it :smallbiggrin:

Gwendol
2012-02-16, 05:34 AM
The Forge of Fury (in that same series of introductory adventures) is also very good. I highly recommend the Sunless Citadel.

Thurbane
2012-02-16, 05:41 AM
Scourge of the Howling Horde is another one with goblin invasion on a hamlet in a middle of nowhere. It boils down to killing all the goblins and becoming a hero. It's even designed with first time DM's in mind and I imagine it won't be any harder on players.

Besides, it's reasonably fun. For first timers at least.
I second this - a good, fun adventure. Challenging, without being ridiculous. I played through it with my group a couple years back. We used it as a lead in to Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde.

Jopustopin
2012-02-16, 05:49 AM
Sunless Citadel, the introduction to 3E, is a fun one. Befriend Meepo. Rescue the "pet". Perhaps the kobolds will like you for defeating the goblins for them. Then deal with the true threat.

Good times!

I agree with the above; I've run the adventure several times. I have notes on a modified version for Eberron if you want to play it in a better setting.